PDA

View Full Version : Need Information on Cosplay Idol at March TAC Please


Archy Jupiter
01-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi! Well, this year, I have decided to try to make it to March TAC. I've never been to one before, so I'm rather excited.

Now, I heard something about a Cosplay Idol show that's something like a masquerade. I also heard that the audience does the judging. Aside from that, I know pretty much nothing about this event. So, here are some questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer them. ^_^

1) How long are the skits allowed to be?

2) Are CDs/Tapes allowed to be used (for music and stuff)?

3) HOW does the audience judge?

4) Is there a cap on the number of entries?

5) March TAC is 2 days. Which day is Cosplay Idol usually on?

6) How long does it usually last?

Well, that's pretty much all I have to ask. Again, thanks to anyone who can help me with this. I really wanna enter, but I need to know more to better prepare for it. ^___^

- Archy
Dancing Kaiba

chef_belegfea
01-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Yo Archy!!

well you could try emailing them for info... they don't have anything on their site yet (other than the dates and vague info...)

Mekou
01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
>> 2) Are CDs/Tapes allowed to be used (for music and stuff)?

I think so. <.< I'm not 100% sure though. I don't remember if anyone had music and stuff last year. >.>

>> 3) HOW does the audience judge?

Cheers and clapping. The entry that gets the loudest cheers and clappings will be the one who wins.

>> 5) March TAC is 2 days. Which day is Cosplay Idol usually on?

It was on the first day last time.

>> 6) How long does it usually last?

It depends on how many entires there are and how long each skit is. ^^ Could range anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

Amy the Yu
01-07-2005, 09:34 PM
MacTAC cosplay idol is really more like a chance for people to go make asses of themselves than for people to appreciate nice looking costumes...unless they DIRACTICLY changed in their judging methods.

I don't think they really bothered with any proper rules on this one. *really not a fan of cosplay idol at MacTAC cause of it's horrible organization*

Cazeson_Zear
01-09-2005, 11:48 AM
This Cosplay Idol thing sounds sorta like a mini masquerade, but it has a diffrent judgeing style?

Intresting maybe i should be in it, I would like to do a skit as Duke Devlin.

Amy the Yu
01-09-2005, 04:44 PM
This Cosplay Idol thing sounds sorta like a mini masquerade, but it has a diffrent judgeing style?

Read Mekou's post. She explained what the "judging method" was.

Cazeson_Zear
01-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Read Mekou's post. She explained what the "judging method" was.

Same thing then diffrent judgeing style then.

Also how long can the skits be?

Kaijugal
01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
The only information I can give you is that the person who ran it last year has refused to run it this year. I wouldn't hold your breath for any information much in advance of the con.

Amy the Yu
01-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I would say forget Cosplay Idol. I can understand why the person who ran it last year wouldn't want to do it again.

I think people were interested in having more like a "cosplay fashion show" instead of any kind of actual competition. Maybe someone else is interested in trying to organize that.

I would mind if there was nothing of the kind this year and just have random photo taking in the halls outside. That really wasn't all that bad and was kinda fun.

rox_my_sox
01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
>> 2) Are CDs/Tapes allowed to be used (for music and stuff)?
last year to have music you just submitt a cd/tape or what ever with your cosplay idol aplication.

I highly doubt that they will change there judging methods, its based on canadian/american idol where people called in and voted and text messaged them to vote but this time its simpler and they use the crowd.

HidoshiNobunaga
01-13-2005, 06:43 PM
-grumbles- I won't even go into how incredibly stupid letting the audience factor into the judging tends to be. There's just way too much bias to go around.

archangeli
01-15-2005, 11:24 PM
MacTAC cosplay idol is really more like a chance for people to go make asses of themselves than for people to appreciate nice looking costumes...unless they DRASTICALLY changed in their judging methods. *cough* fan service...

it's quite true. who ever has the biggest sword or the girl with the most skin showing gets the most applause so there is no regard for skill at all.

I don't think they really bothered with any proper rules on this one. *really not a fan of cosplay idol at MacTAC cause of it's horrible organization*

To date I have never paid any money to attend any Hobbystar run conventions (TAC, CNA, etc) - and it has never been deliberate, I just have better things to do with my time ;)

Ochika
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
hey i was wearing the least amout of clothing last year... and i didnt win >_> i even had a cat fight with another scantily clade cat girl XD

Amy the Yu
01-24-2005, 09:37 PM
hey i was wearing the least amout of clothing last year... and i didnt win >_> i even had a cat fight with another scantily clade cat girl XD

*pat pat* There there. I do believe the DBZ crew won. -_-;; Remember how we're talking about the lack of a proper judging system here, hence why the group with the loud annoying (need to be put to death) fanboys won. Their skit was pretty good, but costumes were nothing much.

Even the slutty costumes weren't judged "fairly". XD

rox_my_sox
01-25-2005, 01:35 AM
*cough* fan service...

it's quite true. who ever has the biggest sword or the girl with the most skin showing gets the most applause so there is no regard for skill at all.

I think I was one of the least dressed girls (black rose costume)and I KNOW that I had the biggest sword there + a hot guy with a bare chest and we got into the secound round but didn't win so I disagree with that.

I just really don't get how the gundam won as well as the other group because the gundam took like 3 minutes to get out the door and the other group wasn't to good... ya I was invited to join the winning group, before the idol started of corse.(not the gundam) only because of my sword though but I didn't because I already had a planned skit.

InsigniaNIX
01-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I just really don't get how the gundam won as well as the other group because the gundam took like 3 minutes to get out the door and the other group wasn't to good... ya I was invited to join the winning group, before the idol started of corse.(not the gundam) only because of my sword though but I didn't because I already had a planned skit.[/QUOTE]


The only reason why my Deathscythe Hell Custom Gundam didn't make it out fast enough was because the steps going up the little stage were right under the door. If the costume is tall, it'll take longer then a standard costume to get out onto the stage. Cosplay Idol is a different kind of contest. I knew that, which is why I entered my Gundam in it. Of course there was a "fan thing" going on there since Scott McNeil was there. That's the reason why it won.

At the same time it doesn't mean that my costumes aren't good. I've won many craftsmanship awards for my Gundam costumes and major awards like best in show in master category. Best Of Show - Twice even.

I know that there are a bunch of Canadian cosplayers, specifically the ones in my home town of Toronto that don't like any of my costumes and don't like the fact that my Deathscythe Hell Custom won an award at last year's Cosplay Idol but please don't question things like, I don't know why it won, or say things that would belittle my skill as a costume maker/designer. It really happens a few times throughout Cosplay.com and it gets bothersome. It aims a finger at me. It's funny because when I bring those types of costumes out, I hear so many of you cheering. It's awesome when I see the reactions of the audience. They're having fun and so am I!

I like making costumes that are big and difficult. That's another reason why they could win awards at all types of contests. Nobody else is making metal Gundams that are 7 feet tall in Toronto. The audience liked it which is why they were cheering. The North American Voice Actor of the pilot of my costume was there. That plays a big part in it too. Cosplay Idol is a different type of contest. Different from a US masquerade and different from a Canadian masquerade.

I have a gallery on Cosplay.com so I'm registered. I'm friends with some of the photographers and I post comments on photos that other cosplayers post up. Not once have I ever been mean or have said anything rude or told anyone that their costumes aren't good and questioned why they've won a specific award. I've always been positive and friendly. I've even posted up in these forums but I've always been cool with everyone. It's really not cool for me when I check the forums and read things like this.

It's unfortunate for me to post this kind or reply but this is the way I've taken it. I know that the people who are posting here are friendly people. I'm friends with many of you but please, don't say things that would make another cosplayer here upset or mad. Cosplay.com is a community for all types of cosplayers. Every skill level, every form of costuming and heck every country is welcome here.

Archy Jupiter
01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Wow, I never thought posting some questions on Cosplay Idol would lead to negativity. ^_^;

Honestly, I don't care about awards or trying to win. Cosplay Idol, from what I've gathered from everything I heard and read, is more about fun. Why not just go out there and, well, have fun without thinking about who won and why?

Anyway, let's all try to be kind and positive, okay? ^___^

- Archy

Amy the Yu
01-27-2005, 02:18 PM
The only reason why my Deathscythe Hell Custom Gundam didn't make it out fast enough was because the steps going up the little stage were right under the door. If the costume is tall, it'll take longer then a standard costume to get out onto the stage. Cosplay Idol is a different kind of contest. I knew that, which is why I entered my Gundam in it. Of course there was a "fan thing" going on there since Scott McNeil was there. That's the reason why it won.

At the same time it doesn't mean that my costumes aren't good. I've won many craftsmanship awards for my Gundam costumes and major awards like best in show in master category. Best Of Show - Twice even.

Cosplay Idol had a horrible set up. A lot of people in the audience were actually wondering if the Gundam was going to fit through the door at all.

I don't think you won because of Scott. He had to tack on his own thing at the end, but the cheering while Deathscythe was on stage was all for the gundam.

It might be that since Cosplay Idol is kind of a sad spin off of American Idol, some people think it's supposed to be judged on performance or something.

If it was a skit contest, I would say you failed, but since it's not, I think it's fully justified that you won...I just still don't really approve of the DBZ group winning...unless that was because of their skit, which was well put together, and even someone who hates DBZ (like myself) has to admit it was nicely choreographed for a group of random fans.

Actually, thinking of it that way, I think both winners were justified, just not for the same reason.

Deathscythe - best costume (and I don't think anyone can argue that)
DBZ group - best skit

InsigniaNIX
01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
It might be that since Cosplay Idol is kind of a sad spin off of American Idol, some people think it's supposed to be judged on performance or something.

Actually, thinking of it that way, I think both winners were justified, just not for the same reason.

Deathscythe - best costume (and I don't think anyone can argue that)
DBZ group - best skit[/QUOTE]



Cool stuff.

Jo_Canadian
01-29-2005, 02:04 PM
holy crap dude....you were the spawn.....that costume rocked uber much ass