PDA

View Full Version : Weapons to SDCC?

Lyris
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know what the rules are on weaponry....I know there are no guns.....but what of the Katana swords. I was planning on buying one for my costume......and I figured it should be allowed since they sell the swords there. Anway....I can't find the blacklist on weapons...if they have one. Should I just buy a plastic sword and not risk it? Ot have any of you brought a real sword and walked around securit grabbing you....

demifiend
01-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I saw a guy in costume as a LOTR character and he had Narsil in a scabbard. I don't know if you're able to draw it, but carrying it shouldn't be a problem.

Dany
01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
The general way I've seen weapons work is like this:

-Swords stay in scabbards, or need to be very obviously not-steel and not sharp. My Vampire Hunter D sword was out of scabbard and got a once over from one of the security guys before they let me carry it (It helped that I ran my finger right over the edge and went 'see? no blood!').

-Guns..you gotta be careful. There are laws now in California against carrying realistic looking weapons, even if they have orange tips. This is more for outdoor/public accessible areas, however, that I've seen Lara Crofts with 'real' guns, etc. Restrict them to indoors, and only for photo ops.

All else fails, check with security. They will tell you what should and shouldn't be done. :)

maggifan
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
well i took a sword to san diego comic con and there wasn't any problem....and i also saw a sephirod with a huge sword and i don't think it was any problem....so take a real sword if you want....

nobodies_inc
01-12-2007, 06:48 AM
this past year i attended comic-con and for all my costumes i used real steel swords and i used them for photoshots and everywhere all the time and nobody told me anything. it must be because at comic-con there are not that may cosplayers like in anime-expo so they dont care about that but if you are bringning one just make sure dont use it a lot because the space in hallways and everywhere especially on saturday is really reduced and you can hurt people, but just keep it safe. ^_^

SeleneLA
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I dont think it matters I have seen everything from Star Wars Guns to Lara Croft to LOTR.. I would double check before you go, but I dont think its a problem.

SantanaCosplays
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
If you do bring a weapon, i'd just go up to security, their actually really nice about it, They'd just put something brightly colored on it. Or a red sticker like they did on the yaoi paddles.

Hakaider
02-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Generally speaking, Comic Con is more easygoing than some anime or sci-fi cons when it comes to props. They have an attitude like DragonCon when it comes to props. As long as you don't you try to cause trouble with your prop, and you handle your prop responsibly inside the convention center, they usually don't really care.

I've seen cosplayers carrying assault rifle replicas and historical/comic book characters with real katanas at Comic Con. I've even seen Vietnam War era or WWII era reenactors carrying authentic looking rifles. (Although they all had had a orange tip.) I've seen Klingons carry real "batleth", and the Imperial Stormtroopers with resin replicas of WWII MG42 machine guns with an orange tip. (Some of the Star Wars movie's blasters were based on WWII weapons.)

If you have a gun prop, be sure to have a orange or red tip at the end of the barrel.

The key here is to handle your prop weapon responsibly. Don't brandish it carelessly or ever threaten someone with your weapon. Don't swing your weapon around and whack someone over the head with it. Don't ever use it in anger and don't ever clown around with it. And of course, be twice as careful when you take the prop outside the convention center. (Always sheath your swords and put your guns in your holster when you are outside.)

Lastly, do NOT ever point your sword or gun at a Law Enforcement officer, unless you have a death wish.

As for the California gun law...Generally speaking, many law enforcement authorities in Southern California aren't going to purposely go out of their way to bust cosplayers at a convention just because they are carrying a prop. (Unless of course, you try to do something foolish with your prop, threaten someone with it, or you are foolish enough to carry a real gun.) They do know when there's a anime or sci-fi convention's in town and they are there to keep the peace. (They are often briefed about an upcoming convention in their area in advance, so they are already expecting costumers carrying props.)

On the other hand, if you are carrying that replica prop to an airport, port, government installation, school, or a bank, you are asking for serious trouble. (Pretty common sense stuff.)

The ironic thing is that sometimes it's the con itself, who are more strict than the police when it comes to props.

A good example of this is West Hollywood during Halloween night. About close to half a million people would come to to this place on Halloween night and there would be costumes of every type and class than you can shake a stick at. (There would be food booths and concerts as well.)This event would have one of the strongest police presence anywhere in Southern California and there would be Police officers and Sheriffs on almost every corner. (Police helicopters, police on horseback, police on a patrol car, etc.) Yet, costumers would be carryng all sorts of props, including replicas of assault rifles (with an orange tip) right in front of the police. One girl even asked a Sheriff if it was O.K. to carry a toy grenade for her costume and he told her that he didn't have any problems with it during Halloween on West Hollywood.

It's a different story with Northern California though, especially on the Bay Area during Halloween. The police would not allow many weapon props at a Bay Area Halloween event. (Yet, there was a shooting anyway between rival gangs last year.)

Rogue Marvel
02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
The other thing to remember when bring props is the dealers hall is really crowded.

You don't want to be walking around with big bulky props there because
A) someone is going to run into and damage it
b) someone is going to run into it and get pissed
c) someone is going to run into it and get hurt

Just be consider it whatever you bring. There is a good chance you are going to run into and bump into people all weekend and when you have a big costume you sometimes forget how much space you take up and sometimes other people don't notice.

Rikku Dattebayo
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM
2 years ago, one of my friends brought a real sword to go with her cosplay and they told her to chain it up so it wouldn't be brandished or whatever...

but i dunno...

linkluver6
03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
after reading this I am considering bringing a fake gun because now I have added another outfit to my list

definitely I will use a orange tip
because its from ergo proxy and thats very realistic looking

thanks to everyone on this thread
:geek:

~LaDy_LoCkHeArT
03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
i suggest that you just cover the sword if its real because if it is real and its out you might get that confiscated unless you have the sheath to go with it...

if its a prop dont really worry about just make sure it looks like blunt i suppose but theres really no fun in that

guns are a different thing make sure that the gun isnt real... what am i saying of course it wouldnt be but if they do ask just say its a prop or a toy gun er something ^_^;;