PDA

View Full Version : ANBU Mask Tutorial!!

Pages : [1] 2

Saitou_Nami
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Welcome to Ashlee-san's ANBU Mask Tutorial. Today I hope to help all of you amazing cosplayers make a nice looking ANBU Mask for under $20!

Materials You Will Need:
1. Plastic Mask of a full human face. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup001.jpg
2. At least 2 packages of White Crayola Model Magic. (Molding Clay-ish)
3. Black Elastic Band 1/2 inch wide. (At least 15 inches long)

4. Super Glue.
5. A rolling pin. (Any kind will do but wood seems to work best)

All of the above items can be purchased at your neighborhood Hobby Lobby.

Steps:

1. Lay out all of your materials in front of you. C:

2. Take the white molding substance out of the TWO packages of Crayola Model Magic and form both rectangles into ONE big ball.

3. Find a clean flat surface and lightly apply pressure to the ball. Press the ball down until it is flat enough to roll.

Like So:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup003.jpg

4. Roll the clay until it is about one centimeter thick or until the clay "sheet" is large enough to fit completely over the mask.

5. Place the clay "sheet" over the mask (make sure that the clay covers the entire front part of the mask) and lightly press/stretch the material to give a seamless appearance to the mask.

It should looks something like this:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup007.jpg

Note: I stretched the edges of the clay to cover the inner edge of the mask.

Note: This is a very forgiving type of molding clay but if you accidentally scratch or press your hand into the material before it dries it will leave an unflattering mark.

This took me a few times to get it right so please don't get discouraged if you don't get it on the first try.
6. GENTLY poke/push around the eye area to show the mask's eye holes.

It should look something like this:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup008.jpg

7. IMPORTANT: Pull/Cut off the excess molding clay that is jutting out from the back of the mask.

8. Take the excess clay that you pulled off from the back of the mask and make two small balls from it. Then mold those balls into an ear shape.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup004.jpg

9. DO NOT ATTACH THE EARS TO THE MASK YET. Now you should have three parts formed. (Throw any excess clay away because it will dry out and be unusable.)

Get up from wherever you are and leave the mask and ears alone. Go back to your workstation in a few hours.

10. Super glue the now dry items together.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup010.jpg

11. Cut a piece of black elastic so that it is about fifteen inches long without being stretched. Super glue the elastic band to the inside of the mask.

It should look like this:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup011.jpg (Inside of mask)

12. Congratulations!!! You have made the base to your very own Naruto mask!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup013.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBUmaskgroup012.jpg

From here you can paint, sharpie, etc. to your mask to give it a true ANBU appeal.

Examples of what I had done for my mask:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBU_Mask2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBU_Mask002.jpg

I hope my tutorial helped you and I most certainly hope that you had a fun time expressing your artistic ability.

FAQ:
The following are questions that I feel are important for mask alterations.

Also, any tips about altering the eyes would be appreciated, but since I'm pretty sure in your ventures you didn't have to do anything like I plan to do for the eyes, I don't expect you to be able to give an answer n_n'.

Feel free to quote me as you like n_n. Also, what I had done is, because my eyes were TALLER than the eyes in my mask but much much thinner, is cut the shape based on a cardboard stencil I made and then taped the empty area (the area cut out of the mask) that I needed to be filled. It actually worked -really- well the first time, however, due to an unfortunate incident involving the chin I lost my ability to be any more patient with the project and I also -had- thought my model magic had become useless (as it had partially dried), but it seems if you microwave it for a short time it regains its past composure. As for cutting the eye after the model magic is applied, that just doesn't seem like it would work to me as I tried and all three of the cutting tools I tried ended up stretching and deforming the clay in ways that hurt the rest of the mask. Also I would like to place emphasis upon the fact that if you are forming (using their hands to smooth around the eyes or anywhere else) the clay, you should hold it from the inside of the mask, and not set any side of the mask onto any surface other than the inside of the mask. I say this because this is how I ended up having all my work waisted and ended up just deciding to go for something that suited -this particular project- better.

EDIT - If you are going to do the smaller eyes, I do recommend you don't use paper or cardboard. The clay sticks to it (or at least mine did), and with the paper you likely won't be able to get some of your clay back (with the cardboard it is easier as generally it is less flimsy). I would recommend doing as I did and use repeated layers of masking tape, or perhaps try wax paper (although I've yet to test this myself). I'm thinking of trying a few different methods for forming the eyes, just to simplify it and not land others up in a vat of confusion like I was *laughs*. Oh, if you only knew half the silly things I tried.

Beryl
01-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Wow, that's a pretty cool result. Great tutorial!

Why don't you post it in The Tutorial Thread so everyone can see it forever? :D

Saitou_Nami
01-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow, that's a pretty cool result. Great tutorial!

Why don't you post it in The Tutorial Thread so everyone can see it forever? :D
O.O Good Idea!

Glad you like the result! C: Its an easy and nonmessy way to make the mask.

benihime
01-09-2007, 12:17 AM
AH! thanks so much! im possibly doing an EGL anbu kakashi and i was wondering how to create the stupid mask :X so thanks! isn't model magic the best?

do you think possibly that you could do the same thing but put it over a foam head? i have to make a mask for nell and thats the only way i see doing it

Saitou_Nami
01-09-2007, 09:32 AM
AH! thanks so much! im possibly doing an EGL anbu kakashi and i was wondering how to create the stupid mask :X so thanks! isn't model magic the best?

do you think possibly that you could do the same thing but put it over a foam head? i have to make a mask for nell and thats the only way i see doing it

You probably could but you would have to very carefully peel the mold off of the foam head. You would also have to be really careful with the mask. If you have used model magic before then you know it doesn't dry extremely hard...more along the lines of a soft seamless appearance.

If you look in the pictures I left the mask under the model magic as a support so the mold wouldn't indent if I accidentaly dropped it or something.

But go ahead and try C: I'd love to see how it comes out!

Good Luck! ^___^

Annie-Mei
01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
great tutorial!

Saitou_Nami
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
great tutorial!

C: Domo Arigato!

Lone Anbu Wolf
01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
woo!! i ineffenably love your tutorial its awsome and under 20$. to die for. your a god, in my eyes.
the ears, mind you, seem a little to big, but thats me, i would luv to your finished product, if you dont mind? plz plz plz.

Saitou_Nami
01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
woo!! i ineffenably love your tutorial its awsome and under 20$. to die for. your a god, in my eyes.
the ears, mind you, seem a little to big, but thats me, i would luv to your finished product, if you dont mind? plz plz plz.

Hai the ears are a bit big but when I tried to make them smaller they just didn't look right to me. C: The ears are versatile though, you can make them resemble fox ears, cat ears, even...elephant ears lol. You could also make a beak out of the left over molding clay to make the mask resemble a bird.

C: I'll put the finished mask up when it gets its coloring.

My uncle is a professional artist and he said he would airbrush the design I want on it! It might take him a while though, he has been busy lately.

Lone Anbu Wolf
01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Hai the ears are a bit big but when I tried to make them smaller they just didn't look right to me. C: The ears are versatile though, you can make them resemble fox ears, cat ears, even...elephant ears lol. You could also make a beak out of the left over molding clay to make the mask resemble a bird.C: I'll put the finished mask up when it gets its coloring.
sorry to have deleted part of your quote, psps suck at internet browsing.
your very lucky, cant wait to see it!!

Saitou_Nami
01-18-2007, 12:19 PM
sorry to have deleted part of your quote, psps suck at internet browsing.
your very lucky, cant wait to see it!!

C: It's no problem.

Hai, I am lucky. My sister is an amazing sketch artist, my grandmother is a material artist, and my uncle is a professional artist.

Miracle
01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I found this tutorial while looking for the means to make another mask, but I'm pretty sure I can do what I want to do using this material. I do have a few questions however, if you don't mind answering of course (for which I would be really very thankful n_n).

I was wondering what the model magic would feel like when it is dried. Will it stay dry? Could it possibly fall off the front of the mask beneath or would it -stay- on the mask safely? If I were to touch the surface -after- it had dried, would there still be an impression left, or would it remain as it was before being touched?

I do intend to add ears to this costume, I was wondering exactly how strong/stable the connection between the ears and the mask will be.

Finally, I am curious to know how the surface of this mask responds to spray paint (as opposed to air brushing as I'm afraid I lack the tools/experience) and acrylic paint. This one, I'm not so sure you'll be able to answer, but if you can I'd really be thankful, n_n.

Anywho, thanks for the tutorial regardless, I think it is a nifty way to do mask making and -beautifully- cheap and seamless as well *squicks*.

Also, any tips about altering the eyes would be appreciated, but since I'm pretty sure in your ventures you didn't have to do anything like I plan to do for the eyes, I don't expect you to be able to give an answer n_n'.

Thanks again, a really well assembles tutorial -with pictures- makes all the difference in one's own attempts n_n, best of luck with your own mask.

Saitou_Nami
01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I found this tutorial while looking for the means to make another mask, but I'm pretty sure I can do what I want to do using this material. I do have a few questions however, if you don't mind answering of course (for which I would be really very thankful n_n).

I was wondering what the model magic would feel like when it is dried. Will it stay dry? Could it possibly fall off the front of the mask beneath or would it -stay- on the mask safely? If I were to touch the surface -after- it had dried, would there still be an impression left, or would it remain as it was before being touched?

I do intend to add ears to this costume, I was wondering exactly how strong/stable the connection between the ears and the mask will be.

Finally, I am curious to know how the surface of this mask responds to spray paint (as opposed to air brushing as I'm afraid I lack the tools/experience) and acrylic paint. This one, I'm not so sure you'll be able to answer, but if you can I'd really be thankful, n_n.

Anywho, thanks for the tutorial regardless, I think it is a nifty way to do mask making and -beautifully- cheap and seamless as well *squicks*.

Thanks again, a really well assembles tutorial -with pictures- makes all the difference in one's own attempts n_n, best of luck with your own mask.

^___^ Thanks for posting this!! I love to answer questions!! Yay!!!!

First question:

1. The model magic clay has a smooth soft feel to it when dry. Comparing it to another surface, I would say that it has the feel of smooth human skin.
2. Yes, the mask will stay dry as long as you don't put it near any intense heat sources. I tested this the other day to make sure it was sturdy! Just keep it away from open flames (stove, fireplace, etc.) and if you put the dry material into the microwave it turns to a goo substance. The model magic is glue based I think.
3. So far I haven't had a problem with the basic mask falling off. I firmly pressed the model magic clay to the mask so it would stay. I think the extra support is good for it.
4. If you lightly press on the dry model magic it shouldn't indent. Also if you are picking it up or painting it or something it shouldn't ident either. Just be careful with it, the only way it's going to get scratched or something is if you intentally do it. Like don't stick your fingernail into the surface and stuff. C:

Second Question:

You have to be gentle with the ears and make sure that you really glue them down onto the mask.
To test my mask, I rode in my grandpa's old truck on a bumpy country road to his house and the ears didn't fall off. However, my grandmother accidentally brushed up against the mask with a heavy nightgown in her arm and left ear popped off.
I reattached the ear easily but making sure to firmly press it this time...(the first time I didn't firmly press it down and on both sides of the ear I didn't glue it all the way down. Plus I was pulling on it to test its stability.
You should probably take a package of superglue with you to the convention just incase of an accident.

Third Question:

You should be able to spray paint the mask easily. My uncle said he could easily airbrush on the material so I'm going to assume that you could spray paint it or paint it with regular paint and brushes. C:

Fourth Question:

For altering the eyes I suggest drawing the shape of how you want them on a piece of paper, cut out the shape with scissors and place it on the eye area of the mask, and finally taking a knife and carefully tracing around the stencil you made with the paper.

I hope that helps!!! ^___^

Miracle
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Wow, that is much more detail than I expected and very helpful (I'm being very earnest/sincere here, seriously, thank you so so so much n_n!). I was actually thinking of that as I was reading what you wrote, that I should bring some extra super glue with me just in case (the ears I plan to make are -much- larger as they are suited to the keaton/kafei mask from the zelda series, so I imagine it would be a good idea to be extra careful when placing them).

I'm going to apply all the tips you gave me (which, by the way, I appreciate you colour coding and formating XD, I sometimes forget that formating/colour coding/etc. one's information can make it that easier to read) to my mask, and I'll post the results in my gallery for anyone interested. Again, thank you so much, you've saved me money and mistakes n_~ best of luck with your own cosplay dreams. (I'll post back once I've the picture of the mask put up n_n)

Saitou_Nami
01-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow, that is much more detail than I expected and very helpful (I'm being very earnest/sincere here, seriously, thank you so so so much n_n!). I was actually thinking of that as I was reading what you wrote, that I should bring some extra super glue with me just in case (the ears I plan to make are -much- larger as they are suited to the keaton/kafei mask from the zelda series, so I imagine it would be a good idea to be extra careful when placing them).

I'm going to apply all the tips you gave me (which, by the way, I appreciate you colour coding and formating XD, I sometimes forget that formating/colour coding/etc. one's information can make it that easier to read) to my mask, and I'll post the results in my gallery for anyone interested. Again, thank you so much, you've saved me money and mistakes n_~ best of luck with your own cosplay dreams. (I'll post back once I've the picture of the mask put up n_n)

C: Wow, I love LoZ: MM!! I bet you do a really good job on the Keaton mask and I totally can't wait to see!!

I'm happy the tutorial helped you and I wish you the best of luck with your mask!!

Is it ok if I add you to my friend's list?

Mikomi Hatake
01-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Ah, this is just what I was looking for for my cosplay! Thanks!

Saitou_Nami
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Ah, this is just what I was looking for for my cosplay! Thanks!

No problem!!! C: Glad it helped!

Ashla
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow, that's a really helpful tutorial :) Thank you!

I was just wondering, is the mask heavy when finished? I can't imagine it would be too heavy though ^^

Saitou_Nami
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow, that's a really helpful tutorial :) Thank you!

I was just wondering, is the mask heavy when finished? I can't imagine it would be too heavy though ^^

Good question C:

Acutally, the mask is fairly lightweight and shouldn't be a hassle to wear around for a few hours at a convention or anywhere else for that matter.

PenguinPerson
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Yo, guys! I decided to give this tutorial a whirl since I'll be cosplaying an Anbu myself.

I have to admit, I love it. It took a little muscle to get the clay flat enough to put over the mask, but it looks fantastic and really smooth if you're careful. I didn't take any in-progress shots because I was so tired and intent on getting it finished. Also, it was at around 3am. xD

You can see one of the pictures here.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=966926

Also, I used a really soft charcoal pencil to lightly draw on the markings, and then paint them in using red paint. And a black sharpie for the black around the eyes/nostirls/mouth. But BEFORE the sharpie, I added a few layers of polyurethane(sp?) that comes in the spray paint can to make it a little more durable and help the paint stay. But beware, DO NOT spray it if you color your mask with sharpies, because it will make it bleed HORRIBLY and will ruin your artwork. D:

I am in looooove~ Thanks so much for coming up with this idea! xD

Edit: Bah, I always forget the details.

As I was gonna say, the mask is fairly lightweight, and I used a 3/4 inch wide or so strap of elastic which holds quite well so the mask can be placed either over your face, or, like Kakashi does, to the side of your head.

And just to add a little mystery to it, I sharpied black some stocking and cut it out and stretched it before carefully placing it over the back of the eyeholes inside the mask using a few small dabs of hotglue. It hides you eyes for that creepy effect, but you can still see the world around you. ^_^

Saitou_Nami
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Yo, guys! I decided to give this tutorial a whirl since I'd be going as an Anbu myself.

I have to admit, I love it. It took a little muscle to get the clay flat enough to put over the mask, but it looks fantastic and really smooth if you're careful. I didn't take any in-progress shots because I was so tired and intent on getting it finished. Also, it was at around 3am. xD

You can see one of the pictures here.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=966926

Also, I used a really soft charcoal pencil to lightly draw on the markings, and then paint them in using red paint. And a black sharpie for the black around the eyes/nostirls/mouth.

I am in looooove~ Thanks so much for coming up with this idea! xD

^___^ OMG that is an adorable ANBU mask!! I think you did an amazing job!

I'm super happy that your mask turned out beautifully!! Lol I might need to take some craft tips from you.

dor1987
01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
As i told you on PM, Very Good tutorial you helped me alot!
as soon as i will find model magic in israel i will start make my mask :D
Hehe

Miracle
01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, I tried it, and let me tell you, this was not as easy as I thought it would be (don't worry, this tutorial is perfectly fine, and I'm sure this would work great for actual anbu masks or masks with larger eyes, but my eyes...well...).

I bought all the materials that I didn't have, and after a bit of planning, started altering the mask. To make the eyes I wanted I had to -cut- the plastic of the mask and tape it so it was thinner. The eyes I wanted were thin slits that were thinner than the eyes, but on a vertical length outside the actual eyes. I had to use masking tape to form the foundation where it was lacking, some repeated layers where needed. I tried using paper, but paper stuck to the clay as did cardboard so with a bit of creative thinking I decided to use tape.

So, I mixed the two clay, balled it, smooshed it, rolled it, and stretched it, but all along the sides where finger marks. I tried over and over to fix it but it was very hard for me @_@. So, with a little help from my mother, I began smoothing the edges by hand and again, it started to look like it would be wonderful, very smooth (except for weird swirly lines (up, not into the clay)), looking good, but then as I went to poke the eyes in I realised that my fingers would not work so well. I eventually came to the conclusion that by pushing a sharp knife carefully through the inside of the mask, using my thumb to keep the clay from just stretching, I could get the eyes in. Sadly, sometime in the process the chin of my mask must of came against something and became entirely flat (it needed to be round) and so I had to start again but when I did there were large chunks of what I'm guessing was dried clay inside.

Anywho, I found the results I wanted were very difficult to achieve. I think this is a wonderful cheap alternative to some other methods, but I'm afraid *dramatic sigh* it and I were never intended to be. I still think a perfectly beautiful keaton mask could be constructed from the material, but due to lack of time and my inability to travel to micheals more than once a month (I actually was -not- able to get to any store in town for over five months, just to give you an idea @_@ it sucks living in a small town), I'll have to choose something I'm a little more practiced and assured with. A bit more expensive, I'll admit, but it will do what I need it to do in the time I need it to.

Thanks again anyway, this is a great tutorial and I plan on using it for another project of mine that is much better suited to the medium and the texture especially (ooo, that is actually something I'm most looking forward to oddly *laughs*). When I -do- complete that project I will be sure to post the results of it in this thread. n_n Good luck and good cosplay to everyone.

Saitou_Nami
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, I tried it, and let me tell you, this was not as easy as I thought it would be (don't worry, this tutorial is perfectly fine, and I'm sure this would work great for actual anbu masks or masks with larger eyes, but my eyes...well...).

I bought all the materials that I didn't have, and after a bit of planning, started altering the mask. To make the eyes I wanted I had to -cut- the plastic of the mask and tape it so it was thinner. The eyes I wanted were thin slits that were thinner than the eyes, but on a vertical length outside the actual eyes. I had to use masking tape to form the foundation where it was lacking, some repeated layers where needed. I tried using paper, but paper stuck to the clay as did cardboard so with a bit of creative thinking I decided to use tape.

So, I mixed the two clay, balled it, smooshed it, rolled it, and stretched it, but all along the sides where finger marks. I tried over and over to fix it but it was very hard for me @_@. So, with a little help from my mother, I began smoothing the edges by hand and again, it started to look like it would be wonderful, very smooth (except for weird swirly lines (up, not into the clay)), looking good, but then as I went to poke the eyes in I realised that my fingers would not work so well. I eventually came to the conclusion that by pushing a sharp knife carefully through the inside of the mask, using my thumb to keep the clay from just stretching, I could get the eyes in. Sadly, sometime in the process the chin of my mask must of came against something and became entirely flat (it needed to be round) and so I had to start again but when I did there were large chunks of what I'm guessing was dried clay inside.

Anywho, I found the results I wanted were very difficult to achieve. I think this is a wonderful cheap alternative to some other methods, but I'm afraid *dramatic sigh* it and I were never intended to be. I still think a perfectly beautiful keaton mask could be constructed from the material, but due to lack of time and my inability to travel to micheals more than once a month (I actually was -not- able to get to any store in town for over five months, just to give you an idea @_@ it sucks living in a small town), I'll have to choose something I'm a little more practiced and assured with. A bit more expensive, I'll admit, but it will do what I need it to do in the time I need it to.

Thanks again anyway, this is a great tutorial and I plan on using it for another project of mine that is much better suited to the medium and the texture especially (ooo, that is actually something I'm most looking forward to oddly *laughs*). When I -do- complete that project I will be sure to post the results of it in this thread. n_n Good luck and good cosplay to everyone.

I'm sorry that your mask didn't turn out the way you wanted it too. T__T

I'm upset at myself because I thought I told you that if you put small sections of the molding clay in the microwave for 15 seconds that the clay would go back to its original elasiticity. T__T I'm sorry.

If you need any help with other stuff please don't hesitate to ask me. C:

Miracle
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Aw, don't be upset with yourself. You made a good tutorial, I've just decided that for this particular mask another material would suit it better. Besides, with that little tip you just gave me I can re-use the modeling clay that I was using (as I kept in in a plastic bag). Besides, I think you may have already said something about that, I just might have missed it or was confused. Anyway, I still think this is a nifty tutorial and good for a number of mask projects, just not this one in particular XD.

Saitou_Nami
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Aw, don't be upset with yourself. You made a good tutorial, I've just decided that for this particular mask another material would suit it better. Besides, with that little tip you just gave me I can re-use the modeling clay that I was using (as I kept in in a plastic bag). Besides, I think you may have already said something about that, I just might have missed it or was confused. Anyway, I still think this is a nifty tutorial and good for a number of mask projects, just not this one in particular XD.

Ahh I see. :3 Well, I wish you luck with your mask.

If you don't mind, I would love it if you sent me a pic of it when you finish. C:

Ororo Howlett
02-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I think I'll make my Kunimitsu mask with the extra Model Magic I have.

And also thank you to PenguinPerson for the tip about the stockings in the eyeholes!

*bows profusely*

toonoobfojoo
02-02-2007, 01:05 AM
excellent tutorial, kudos to you. i might have overlooked it when reading through replies but do you have a pic of your finished product? i'll have to look into making my own now, to the craft shop!

master kaze
02-02-2007, 05:50 AM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! loved it, but i was thinking if using this technic i could make another animal mask, cause i don't like kakashi's mask, nd i want to make one that i've seen i think it's a monkey. XDDDD:rockon:

Saitou_Nami
02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
excellent tutorial, kudos to you. i might have overlooked it when reading through replies but do you have a pic of your finished product? i'll have to look into making my own now, to the craft shop!

I haven't finished it yet...heh. But then again, I'm not painting it because I decided to let my Uncle, who is a graphic artist, airbrush a design on it to give it a unique look. C:

However, I don't reccommend having the mask airbrushed unless you or you have someone in your family to do it. Airbrushing is sort of expensive, like I think it would take about $20-$30 to have a mask like this airbrushed.

Saitou_Nami
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! loved it, but i was thinking if using this technic i could make another animal mask, cause i don't like kakashi's mask, nd i want to make one that i've seen i think it's a monkey. XDDDD:rockon:

Yup you can use this method to make other types of mask designs. Just remember, you would have to change the ears a bit.

I don't reccommend changing the eye shape though because, Miracle tried it and said it didn't work out.

Miracle
02-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh no, you can make the eyes bigger if you cut the actual plastic, but if you try to make them smaller there seems to be alot of issues with just pushing the clay through. In that case it is -still- possible just very hard. If you've the time and the patience, and use masking tape instead of paper, or perhaps another alternative you can think of to build body to your mask, you should have no problem. As an alternative to an actual face mask one might buy some of that gaze (sp?) stuff that you can wet and fill the cracks. Have someone form it over your face (so it fits right, make sure you make a few layers) and smooth it out very nicely). Then, maybe cut the eyeshape through and attempt pushing the clay through, I think it would be less likely to stick (as it did with paper and cardboard in my case). But again, if you're going for eyes bigger than the holes in your mask, by all means, cut the plastic, as my issues was with the masking tape I used, not so much the mask itself n_n'.

(also I'll be sure to let you see both masks when they're done n_n)

dor1987
02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh no, you can make the eyes bigger if you cut the actual plastic, but if you try to make them smaller there seems to be alot of issues with just pushing the clay through. In that case it is -still- possible just very hard. If you've the time and the patience, and use masking tape instead of paper, or perhaps another alternative you can think of to build body to your mask, you should have no problem. As an alternative to an actual face mask one might buy some of that gaze (sp?) stuff that you can wet and fill the cracks. Have someone form it over your face (so it fits right, make sure you make a few layers) and smooth it out very nicely). Then, maybe cut the eyeshape through and attempt pushing the clay through, I think it would be less likely to stick (as it did with paper and cardboard in my case). But again, if you're going for eyes bigger than the holes in your mask, by all means, cut the plastic, as my issues was with the masking tape I used, not so much the mask itself n_n'.

(also I'll be sure to let you see both masks when they're done n_n)

hmmm, what about puting taip on the eye holes and cut the tape in the size u want them to be or just cut the eye after u put the model magic and smooth it on the eye area

Saitou_Nami
02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Miracle, I'm going to quote you for the first post, if you don't mind?

Miracle
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Feel free to quote me as you like n_n. Also, what I had done is, because my eyes were TALLER than the eyes in my mask but much much thinner, is cut the shape based on a cardboard stencil I made and then taped the empty area (the area cut out of the mask) that I needed to be filled. It actually worked -really- well the first time, however, due to an unfortunate incident involving the chin I lost my ability to be any more patient with the project and I also -had- thought my model magic had become useless (as it had partially dried), but it seems if you microwave it for a short time it regains its past composure. As for cutting the eye after the model magic is applied, that just doesn't seem like it would work to me as I tried and all three of the cutting tools I tried ended up stretching and deforming the clay in ways that hurt the rest of the mask. Also I would like to place emphasis upon the fact that if you are forming (using their hands to smooth around the eyes or anywhere else) the clay, you should hold it from the inside of the mask, and not set any side of the mask onto any surface other than the inside of the mask. I say this because this is how I ended up having all my work waisted and ended up just deciding to go for something that suited -this particular project- better.

EDIT - If you are going to do the smaller eyes, I do recommend you don't use paper or cardboard. The clay sticks to it (or at least mine did), and with the paper you likely won't be able to get some of your clay back (with the cardboard it is easier as generally it is less flimsy). I would recommend doing as I did and use repeated layers of masking tape, or perhaps try wax paper (although I've yet to test this myself). I'm thinking of trying a few different methods for forming the eyes, just to simplify it and not land others up in a vat of confusion like I was *laughs*. Oh, if you only knew half the silly things I tried.

Saitou_Nami
02-03-2007, 10:56 AM
C: Lol, you really tried hard to make that work! Thanks for all the info Miracle-san! I'm sure this information will help other cosplayers figure out how to reshape the eye area of the mask.

Monkie
02-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Have you got your mask painted yet? I wanted to see what it looks like, because I'm in the process of getting the materials.

Saitou_Nami
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Have you got your mask painted yet? I wanted to see what it looks like, because I'm in the process of getting the materials.

Not yet...but I'm going to try and get my uncle to paint it sometime this month.

Miracle
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Ooo, an interesting note about model magic. I heard you can blend different coloured clays to get different colours in the clay, or even a marble effect. I'm not sure if there is any cosplay use for this (there could be), but at the very least it sounds spiffy n_n.

Saitou_Nami
02-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Ooo, an interesting note about model magic. I heard you can blend different coloured clays to get different colours in the clay, or even a marble effect. I'm not sure if there is any cosplay use for this (there could be), but at the very least it sounds spiffy n_n.

C: Yup, you can. It actually ends up looking quite interesting lol. I had a project for school a few years ago where I had to make a bird, the one I chose to do had bright green wings so I think I mixed some of the colors...I know at least yellow was in there because when I look back at it, it has a yellow marble stream throughout the wing.

Christycard
02-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey, thanks a bunch for this tutorial! Also to all the others who have posted suggestions! I'm doing ANBU Kakashi, and was not planning on doing a mask, but this thread has inspired me. Wish me luck!

dor1987
02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
OmgOmg At Last!! i found a matrial that simmlar to that Cryola Model magic !!
:D now all i need is mask to make my haku mask!
but i got question!
how come u didnt made any finger print on your mask when u press the Model magic on the plastic mask?? i thot about useing GLoves
is that will do any good?

Saitou_Nami
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
OmgOmg At Last!! i found a matrial that simmlar to that Cryola Model magic !!
:D now all i need is mask to make my haku mask!
but i got question!
how come u didnt made any finger print on your mask when u press the Model magic on the plastic mask?? i thot about useing GLoves
is that will do any good?

What material did you find? I would love to know.

There aren't any finger prints because I didn't press my fingers hard into the model magic. I was really gentle per say with the stretching of the model magic. You could probably use gloves but I'm thinking that it would be difficult to stretch the material easily. O.o but then again, I never really have been able to use latex gloves...I don't care for the feel of anything around my hands.

dor1987
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
it's a paper clay it's belong to a chinse comapny Hehe really nice i tried to make thingwith it hehe it's cool to work with
i am makeing the mask now ^_^

dor1987
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
cheak it out :} after it will get a lil harder iw ill cut the eye hole like Haku's mask ^_^ and sand it untill it will be perfect and after all that work gonna paint with acrilc pain What do you think? :}
link:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/93/1402072057ch3.jpg

Saitou_Nami
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
cheak it out :} after it will get a lil harder iw ill cut the eye hole like Haku's mask ^_^ and sand it untill it will be perfect and after all that work gonna paint with acrilc pain What do you think? :}
link:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/93/1402072057ch3.jpg

C: It's looking really good!! Keep up the good work!

dor1987
02-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Deem i cut the Eyeholes but i got a lil problem :\ i cant get thru the plastic :\ i meen my eyes are taller then the mask eye and i need to cut plastic to make the eye hole feet my eyes
any ideas? i am afride i will destroy the mask ...
hmm i am gonna try let it dry and then cut the plastic i hope for good:\

dor1987
02-16-2007, 03:54 AM
LOL my mask broke in to 3 pieces Hahaaha
i dont know if to smile or to cry ^_^
but it actualy kinda helped me O_o i think i fixed the mask and coz it was broken it was easy to get out the plastic mask so i culd make the hakus mask
to fit my face :Di glue it with super glue and i think after it will be alil more dry i will use HOt glue gun to glue the mask from the insdie so it will be Super strong :D
by the way here is a pic after i fixed it
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5130/1602071120qn3.jpg

crossplay_girl4
02-16-2007, 05:39 AM
I really wish i had found this before >.<;; great tute

Saitou_Nami
02-18-2007, 02:03 AM
LOL my mask broke in to 3 pieces Hahaaha
i dont know if to smile or to cry ^_^
but it actualy kinda helped me O_o i think i fixed the mask and coz it was broken it was easy to get out the plastic mask so i culd make the hakus mask
to fit my face :Di glue it with super glue and i think after it will be alil more dry i will use HOt glue gun to glue the mask from the insdie so it will be Super strong :D
by the way here is a pic after i fixed it
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5130/1602071120qn3.jpg

C: That looks really good actually! I'm glad it turned out nicely.

rikku7504
02-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Yea! well I'm done with the mask. Thanks to your tutorial it turned out very nice. I will have to post a picture of it soon! :) *thx*

Saitou_Nami
02-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Yea! well I'm done with the mask. Thanks to your tutorial it turned out very nice. I will have to post a picture of it soon! :) *thx*

C: Glad the tutorial helped!! I can't wait to see the mask!

Stepherz
03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6154/maskim7.jpg

Here's my mask. When cracks appeared before drying, its an easy enough fix. Just dab your fingers in water and smooth over the surface until the crack disappears. After, you can use spackle to go over the little cracks and its pretty smooth. Also, 2 days instead of 1 day for drying seems better. When I was cutting away excess after 1 day, the middle was still moist. Two days made it sturdier.
After the two day period came i added the impressions for the mouth and eye ridges with a wooden clay utinsel.

As a finishing touch, spray glaze makes a nice gloss surface.

Now to finish the boar mask :D Thanks for the tutorial Nami!

Saitou_Nami
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Here's my mask. When cracks appeared before drying, its an easy enough fix. Just dab your fingers in water and smooth over the surface until the crack disappears. After, you can use spackle to go over the little cracks and its pretty smooth. Also, 2 days instead of 1 day for drying seems better. When I was cutting away excess after 1 day, the middle was still moist. Two days made it sturdier.
After the two day period came i added the impressions for the mouth and eye ridges with a wooden clay utinsel.

C: OMG that mask is sooo cool!!! I love it!

Thanks for the extra tips by the way. :3

whoamiinside
03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow...^_^!!!!! I will definitely try that next con!!! maybe if I don't g as Ryuichi...eh heh sorry...^_^

Keiharu
03-06-2007, 02:55 PM
A wonderful tutorial, I just had to try it myself. However, I am quite in the belief that I am one of the unluckiest people in the world. I swear I turn away from it for a little less than an hour and everything starts going wrong! >_<;; I had wet it to smooth out a few mending lines, and I guess I left it too wet and it started splitting really bad on one side, and little round holes appeared at the top (almost like someone poked at it with a pen or something, but I'm the only one in the house, so nothing's touched it).

Fortunately, I still have to go over it with a thick glaze to smooth it out (and make it shiney of course! :P ), so I'll use that as an oppurtunity for last minute filling of holes and cracks. Hopefully that'll work, and I won't end up getting frustrated and throwing it out the window...

AnimeLore
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Where do you get the plain plastic base masks? I've been looking but I can't find them. Would Party City have them?

Stepherz
03-06-2007, 04:38 PM
It'll crack alot if you put too much water on it, yeah. Thats because the model magic inside is drying at a different rate then the model magic on the surface. Use in moderation D:

Bandit King Jin
03-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Would I be able to fiberglass over the clay to make the finish better adn make the mask more durable

Saitou_Nami
03-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Where do you get the plain plastic base masks? I've been looking but I can't find them. Would Party City have them?

I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the Arts & Crafts area. I'm sure a costume/halloween store would have one similar to the on I used. C: I hope you find one!!

Saitou_Nami
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
C: I finally got my mask painted!!!! Yay!!

Front:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBU_Mask2.jpg

Side:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/lastalliance23/ANBU_Mask002.jpg

FE Freak
03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I letting the clay dry right now,and it has quite a bit of air holes,which i tried to fix, but led to imperfections.:snoring:

So my question is,can i gesso over the air holes and imperfections?

Cristophine
03-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks so much for this tutorial, it really helped a lot. I finished mine about 3 weeks ago but never posted any pics of it. I'll get those up when I get home tonight. My anbu mask is a bear though, instead of the standard fox/cat/bird (just b/c I wanted to be different ^^).

When I made my mask though, I didn't have one of those human shaped art masks, so basically, I took a long piece of aluminum foil and molded it over my face, pushing it into the eye sockets (that hurt a little!) and around my cheek bones to get the correct shape of my face. Then I used more foil to create the muzzle of the bear, taped it all into place with a lot of packing tape and 'stuffed' the back of the mold with newspaper so that it wouldn't collapse on itself when I put the model magic on it, and taped that in too.

There are some imperfections, but I mean, if you are going for a 'realistic' look; there probably would be imperfections in it if you are an anbu that has been doing dangerous missions for a while, right? Also I didn't use a string to tie mine back, I used two hair ties, super glued in place so that I can just slip them over my ears. I may add the elastic later on so I can wear it sideways on my head, but for now, it'll do.

Thanks again for the awesome tutorial Saitou_Nami!

Saitou_Nami
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I letting the clay dry right now,and it has quite a bit of air holes,which i tried to fix, but led to imperfections.:snoring:

So my question is,can i gesso over the air holes and imperfections?

I really don't know...if you have any extra clay you can test it out first.

FE Freak
03-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I really don't know...if you have any extra clay you can test it out first.

It works to a degree,and adding non stick to the mas helped me get it off,but i pulled it off prematurely so it sunk in.Although I did get a nice glossy shine from the non stick spray,that's only if you don't mess with it.I'm going to try this again,and wait about 5 days to make sure.This really did help,thanks for posting it.:bigtu:

Etherh20
03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks alot Sexy ANBU after seeing your tutorial it finaly gave me the inspiration to make zukkos blue spirit mask from avatar.:rockon: This is how it turned out
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6846/p1010154sl6.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5996/p1010158mo2.jpg
I am still working out the kinks to it ,b/c this is my first attempt at crafting anything and this thing was bloody hard. I might make another one b/c this one is a little off and is heavy and has some cracks that keep appearing. Also word of advice if you need to alter the eyes on the plastic mask any do it before you plaster it. I am considering making it out of paper mache so that I can move around with out the fear of it breaking off and hurting somebody if I wear it to a con. lol. Anyway are you able to move around with your mask with out it cracking any?

Cristophine
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much for this tutorial, it really helped a lot. I finished mine about 3 weeks ago but never posted any pics of it. I'll get those up when I get home tonight. My anbu mask is a bear though, instead of the standard fox/cat/bird (just b/c I wanted to be different ^^).

When I made my mask though, I didn't have one of those human shaped art masks, so basically, I took a long piece of aluminum foil and molded it over my face, pushing it into the eye sockets (that hurt a little!) and around my cheek bones to get the correct shape of my face. Then I used more foil to create the muzzle of the bear, taped it all into place with a lot of packing tape and 'stuffed' the back of the mold with newspaper so that it wouldn't collapse on itself when I put the model magic on it, and taped that in too.

There are some imperfections, but I mean, if you are going for a 'realistic' look; there probably would be imperfections in it if you are an anbu that has been doing dangerous missions for a while, right? Also I didn't use a string to tie mine back, I used two hair ties, super glued in place so that I can just slip them over my ears. I may add the elastic later on so I can wear it sideways on my head, but for now, it'll do.

Thanks again for the awesome tutorial Saitou_Nami!

Finally got my pics up -> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51578397/

padgett87
03-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Thank you mine turned out awesome heres the pick I ended up using a Jason hockey mask though because the ones at the craft store were too small for my enormous head
ANBU bear mask (http://members.cosplay.com/costume/82013/)

thoshy
03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I don't know if this was asked, but I would like to know.

All I can find is the cheepish masks. You know, like there thin plastic. Will they work? I'm not very fond of going out, buying all the stuff, then seeing it not work.

Thanks ^^

stafffighter
04-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I just finished making my mask. (waiting for the paint to dry and seal it) and I have to say its awesome! This tutorial really helped a lot. As soon as its finished I am posting pics.

Thanks again!:chatah:

vampedangel14
04-30-2007, 04:53 PM
For list of items needed you say two bags...what size bags? I found 4oz. bags or 8oz. bags...:confused:

icewater
04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm so VERY glad I signed onto this site. I had been looking at posting for help on an ANBU mask - but then I saw your tutorial on the ANBU mask!

Thank you SO much for this tutorial! You're my lifesaver! I do have one question that I am confused about:

How durable is the ANBU mask? I'm coming down by plane for A-Kon and I'm wondering if it would be better for me to send it to one of my friends rather than sending it via plane.

Hatake_Kakashi
05-20-2007, 06:39 PM
YAY! I've always wanted to make an ANBU mask!

Thanks so much!

Kittykaya
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow I love your tutorial and the clay you suggested is really light weight and fun to work with. I did take me a few tries to smooth it out and correctly place it but it was worth it. Here are a few pics.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/megami_san/cosplays/040.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/megami_san/cosplays/041.jpg

Instead of super glue I used an industrial strength crafts glue called E600. The ears seem to be firmly in place and less likely to break off. I also made the ears alot thicker and more rounded. Thanks again for your help! ^_^

Hatake_Kakashi
06-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Kittykaya: wow thats amazing! Its so perfect!

kereneko
06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I made mine back in May..

Im thinking of redoing it though.. cause its a mess...

The painting job is bad..
and some idiot in my anime club were doing some fake yaoi for us fangirls.. and they used mine and my friends masks.. and Well.. they broke the ears off T_T.. so yeah..

Ill post pictures later.. other then that.. wonderful tutorial!

Honey Usagi-chi
07-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Question! Does model magic handle spray paint well? x_x;

Malindachan
07-17-2007, 02:34 AM
I would think so, but I haven't personally used model magic. I think Super Sculpey would be a better choice because not only is it less likely to break, but I know it handles paint well. Then again, Model Magic is probably easier to work with when it comes to making something to fit your face (cuz baking stuff can mess up the shape if you don't know what you're doing)

Kagehimemizuki
07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
im gonna so try that!

Finally got my pics up -> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51578397/

how did you get your eeye round like that and what paint did you use?

what paint did you use?

AnnbuxMzLazy
07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Thank so much for this tutorial. You helped a lot.

I was wondering though. Can you use markers on the dried clay? For me I think paint it too messy and a hassle so markers would be better for me.

Also what if you attach the ears before mask dries instead of glueing them on after the parts and the mask dry?

Sacryed
08-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Thank you for posting this tutorial! It helped me greatly when trying to figure out how to make my mask.

I made Sogeking's mask from One Piece, and I wanted to give people an example of something else you can make with this model magic tutorial!

Here is a picture of how it turned out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/sacryed/Picture068a.jpg

Model magic FTW!

Thunderaan
08-26-2007, 12:28 AM
This is the mask i made using this tutorial. though i ended up doing many things differently and using other materials as well.

http://img358.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapff4.png

its prince thunderaan's mask fom world of warcraft, hollow style (o noes combo cosplay).

I ended up pressin the the modl mgic too much into the edge of the mask and when it dried i had to cut the edge away. i hotglued the edge of the model magic to the mask.

The eyes i went to walmart and bought some wire mesh grease splatter guards for frying pans. I painted pieces of it and mde sure that the mesh wsn't filled in with paint. then i glued those to the inside of the eyeholes i made in the model magic.

For every other partof the mask around the mainface area used craft foam. I had made a papercraft version of prince thunderaan's mask a while back and cut it apart to use fr cutting out those parts of the mask. I hotglued those in place too.

The lower jaw is actually a separate piece that i connected using some stretchy bands.

I painted the whole thing with acrylic paints and used one coat of acrylic varnsh. I might go back and add some black stripes. gonna fiddle with it in photoshop a bit beforeand though.

Selenea Veratz
09-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Um...what exactly is a rolling pin???

ningyobaka
09-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Um...what exactly is a rolling pin???

used in bread making and baking in general, usually made of wood, some now in plastic, is a cylinder with handles used to flatten out things. :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/53438987@N00/451498369/

Koi
09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
...doesn't model magic melt when wet? I know there are a few kinds of crayola brand clay you can buy...

Sacryed
09-12-2007, 03:17 PM
...doesn't model magic melt when wet? I know there are a few kinds of crayola brand clay you can buy...

What do you mean by wet? Like, a rain getting on it? or are you taking about model magic being waterproof?

kalisaen
09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow! The end result is amazing. Everyone's masks look great!

Just a quick question, how does it hold up when it's basically 'strapped' onto your head? I mean, does it feel heavy or awkward?

I had a mask that was made out of paper mache and had a hard time keeping that up at a certain angle, I can't imagine clay. @.@;

Tphares
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Ok, so made one! :P
But it didn't come out quite right, so going to try again, but hey, it's wall decoration at least. ^^ The painting wasn't completely finished on this photo, but I'm too lazy to take another pic. :o Taken with my mobile phone camera, so bad quality. O.o
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1259852

Tphares
09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, I don't know, but at least in Norway you can buy a "light" version of the clay that, when dry, weigh so little it floats on water, or so they say. :o
I finally made mine, you can see it at my gallery, didn't turn out as I wanted though, so making a few more. ^.^
If t feels awkward, I guess you could glue some strips of foam on the inside to make it fit better? ^^

panda0920
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
This is a really cool tutorial and has helped a lot of people, it's helped me. One day I hope to do an ANBU original Naruto cosplay, but this is just pure awesomeness! You can also make this mask by using creative paperclay, which is more exspensive then model magic. Also make sure when buying Krayola model magic, make sure it says model magic, not just Krayola clay, made that mistake and it's heavy and hard to mold stuff with anything but the model magic clay....whew.

kalisaen
09-14-2007, 01:25 AM
If t feels awkward, I guess you could glue some strips of foam on the inside to make it fit better? ^^

Oo foam? I never thought of that. I'll make sure to try it! My only problem is when I wear my mask it keeps sliding down my head, and when I tighten the straps my hair looks like a mess. >:s

Tphares
09-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, there is the lighter version of the clay... And if you use foam or something to fill it, I think it'd stick better too. O.o

Koi
09-25-2007, 12:05 PM
What do you mean by wet? Like, a rain getting on it? or are you taking about model magic being waterproof?

I mean, how does it react to water, paint, and other things.

Someone told me that Model Magic would melt when it became wet by rain or any other water. I was just wondering if if this was true..

Jim Shu
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm making my mask now, and i accidentally only put 1 layer of m.m on accident :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: oh well, it makes mine unique! thank you for the tutorial Ashlee-san (if thata is how you put your name on the first post)

Byakuya-sama
09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm posting this from college right now, but I HAVE to let you know what's up!
:D :D :D

I'm making an ANBU mask for this made up orochimaru hunter nin costume I'm making, and I've got this down to a science.

I bought this pretty heavy duty jason (hockey) mask (glows in the dark -- not necessary, but I figured I'd throw it in, it might help identify it if you want to buy one) from Spencer's in the mall (you can probably get the same mask at any halloween store -- look for a heavy duty form fitting hockey mask that says "GLOWS IN THE DARK" on it). I chose that instead of the other lighter masks because this one had to go in the oven. I cut the nose off using a saw (subtle, I know) and sanded the edges down. Then I put sculpey on the mask itself to fill in any gaps, and make it smooth. This mask is the support for the one I'm making. It will NOT be part of the final product. Over the clay I used to fill in holes and gaps, I put elecrical tape. At this point, the mask is pretty sturdy and smooth, with no nose, and tape over the nose hole.

I am using Sculpey clay, and rolled it out VERY thin (less than 1/4 of an inch). I put foil on the face of the hockey mask, then placed my rolled out sheet of sculpey on the mask. I cut the slits for eyes (a little more open than you'd expect, because I'd like to see :P) and trimmed the edges of the mask.

I put the combined mask (hockey mask with my sculpey mask) on a baking sheet, and put it in the oven. It cooked and luckily the plastic mask didn't even warp! The sculpey mask was dried, and I removed it from the hockey mask.

I'll post pictures of everything, from start to finish as soon as I get home :D

Right now, the sculpey mask is VERY light (because the hockey mask is not attached to it) and somewhat flexible (a lot more than what I'd thought). I'll be painting it, putting a gloss finish on it, then wearing it :). It should look like porcelain when I'm done, and be pretty darn sturdy, yet light.

We'll see!

Some notes about sculpey: It's flexible after it's cooked/baked. Not SUPER flexible, but it becomes kind of like plastic. It in itself is resistant to water before and after being cooked because it's oily-ish. It's sturdy enough that you don't need the base mask that you used for support, so it's also very light, and you can use the base (hockey) mask for making tons more ANBU masks!

Sacryed
09-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I mean, how does it react to water, paint, and other things.

Someone told me that Model Magic would melt when it became wet by rain or any other water. I was just wondering if if this was true..

When model magic dries, you can paint on it just fine. I think, the most part, it's resistant to water. As long as you don't have model magic in water for a long amount of time, it should be ok with water.

Byakuya-sama
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, ANBU mask in progress:

1) Just got done baking. Not sanded. Very plain: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/855/dsc00798lk1.jpg

2) Same plain, unsanded mask from side: http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1334/dsc00799xs4.jpg

3) The modified hockey mask I use for the support while making/cooking. You can see the electrical tape I used over the holes, and over the clay I used to round out the face shape: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6120/dsc00800we3.jpg

4) The hockey mask from the back (you can see I wedged clay in the nose area to make it round and form to the shape of the ANBU mask: http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3066/dsc00801ol0.jpg

5) This is where it gets good :) Mask painted all white, with blue to rose color stripe (still needs touched up. Will outline with black paint or sharpie before glossing): http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7279/dsc00802uw6.jpg

After I outline the stripe, I just need to spray a couple coats of gloss finish on. It will be shiny :) I can't wait!

On a side note, I think I SHOULD have maybe narrowed the eye-slits some more. But I was really thinking function > Asthetics on that decision.

::EDIT:: The color has been sharpened, and I added some spice ^^ Also has first coat of gloss on it: http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/122/dsc00803rx0.jpg

::EDIT 2:: The mask is finished. http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2594/dsc00804vg1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm going to make another one today, set up differently.

Buiji
09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
For halloween my friends and i are doing an Alice in wonderland theme, and my girlfriend and i are doing Alice+White Rabbit. so. i just wanted to say thanks for putting up this tutorial, as i can now make a sexy ANBU rabbit mask for my costume. ill post pics once i start!

Chaotic Era
09-29-2007, 12:29 AM
So I saw the tutorial and it inspired me to make my own anbu mask. OR well at least my own version of it. Mine happens to be a wolf one. =) What I changed about mine though, is I added a muzzel (Sp?) to the mask, so, I bought three packages of the M.M. Which was actually more than I needed XD. But anywho. Here's all the materials http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/015.jpg

The acrylic paint I bought is the Americana brand. Since I wanted to put a muzzel on the mask I taped quilt batting to the mask for a base shape.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/018.jpg

Then I combined all three packages of M.M., rolled out the ball into a BIG sheet and carefully put it over the mask and batting. Then I carefully shaped the muzzel to well, look like one. When I was shaping the m.m. it got finger prints on it, so if I just gently used my palm and fingers while the m.m. was still soft I managed to smooth out some of the prints. Also, if you use batting as a base for the shape of what ever you're making, be sure you have it the shape you need. I tried to use the batting to help shape the ears and messed up on the shape, and couldn't get the batting to unstick from the m.m. and had to throw it away. So be sure you have the shape you need before sticking it to the batting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/022.jpg

So instead to get a good shape for the ears (Which was a pain in the butt to find) I put the top of the mask ontop of a piece of paper, sketched out the shape that I wanted, then put the paper on a rolled out sheet of left over m.m. and using a pair of good scissors cut the shape out and molded it to my liking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/023.jpg

I know really it says to use superglue on the ears after letting it dry, but I'm too impatient to wait to buy superglue, so I just hotglued the ears on before they fully finished drying. So far so good on the ears, but it was only this morning I glued them on so I'll have ta let ya know if it holds up ok. I still don't have a elastic strap for the mask because the craft store I went to didn't have one that would work for what I wanted. Now all I have left is to paint it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/024.jpg

Here's the back
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/025.jpg

So thanks Ashlee-chan for the tutorial! I had so much fun making the mask ^_^

EDIT: Yeay I finished with painting so here it is ^___^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuWolf.jpg

Byakuya-sama
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow nice job Chaotic Era. It looks pretty good :D

I'm working on my second Hunter-nin mask. I like the eyes MUCH more than the last one. It's also much thinking, and has nice round holdes to hold the cloth strap.

I just formed it and sanded it -- here it is before being painted: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1296/hunternincustomrq2.jpg

I'll post more when it's painted and has it's cloth strap! I really took my time on the eyes on this one -- I had to ball up the clay 3 times (i.e. start over) to get the eyes right. When you screw up the eyes, you really can't fill them in because it causes too much aesthetic damage to the mask.

Chaotic Era
09-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Thank you Byakuya-sama =D

Selenea Veratz
09-30-2007, 01:36 PM
How much clay would I need to make two of these masks?

Byakuya-sama
09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
How much clay would I need to make two of these masks?

Well that depends. It seems like everyone here likes to use Crayola Model Magic (M.M. as abbreviated on these forums :P) but I like to use good old Sculpey -- so I can only help you on the Sculpey amount.

For two masks, I bought a single pack of sculpey and I had about 1/3 of it left over after making 2 masks.

As for the M.M. though, I'm not too sure :/

I like sculpey more though since it's got the tensile strength to stand alone (i.e. not on the base plastic mask) without being very thick -- yet is somewhat slightly flexible so it makes a very good mask. Plus, it just looks much more comfortable than the ones others have made on here because it doesn't have the folded edges to hold it on the base plastic mask.

The only problem with Sculpey is that it must be baked in order to harden -- so it has to go in the oven with the plastic mask base... so I'd pick up a good sturdy thick plastic mask like what I use -- a modified hockey mask. You can re-use the hockey mask each time for as many masks as you'd like, but put something underneath it while baking so the plastic mask doesn't flatten out (I put a rolling pin under it for support).

However, the fact that it must be baked is also a blessing, since you can spend as long as you'd like perfecting it -- adding clay, taking away clay, resizing eye holes, etc and it won't even start to dry (The clay I used was about 9 years old... I bought it that long ago for a project in 4th grade lol... so no it NEVER dries out).

You can see the mask I'm working on in my last post -- that's Sculpey. It's working out very well!

Hope that helps!

::EDIT:: Oops, corrected myself. I accidentally said my most recent mask was being made out of Model Magic, when it's really Sculpey like my other one. Silly me.

Jim Shu
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
for 2 masks you would probably use 4 packs because 2+2=4... so there...

Sh1r7N1nj4
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I have a qestion say I wanted to make a mask using this method but wanted the mask to be shaped different other than a human face how would I go about doing that...

heres the general shape I want it to look like http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/110/e/e/Inari_Mask_designs_by_FoxxFireArt.png

Uchiha Sakura
10-23-2007, 10:17 AM
You could cut the human mask shape to what you want it to look like and still use it as a base. i'm not sure though but it seems like it would work.

anbugenji
10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Quote from Sh1r7N1NJ4
I have a qestion say I wanted to make a mask using this method but wanted the mask to be shaped different other than a human face how would I go about doing that...

heres the general shape I want it to look like http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs14/f/20...oxxFireArt.png

well, first you have to make the basic human face shape, then simply make a snout or whatever your mask is gonna be peice, then add it on, not to hard

Shiisama
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I got some modeling clay the same brand ya got but how come when it dries its all...well cracked and..stuff... Its not completely dry yet, but I did go over it with water earlier last night, should I just go over it with water again? Would it have cracks after it dries? And would it be okay if I used like a heater, sun or blow dryer on it?

Uchiha Sakura
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
i know mine is cracking to. i've filled the cracks with Elmer's glue, i've thought about fabric glue too. but over all it worked out very well. after the paint is dried you just need to paint it white again and there you go.

Hope that helps.

anbugenji
10-24-2007, 11:48 AM
well, what you might do is use some paper clay or just us somemore modeling clay to fill the cracks

SpankCarrot
10-27-2007, 04:35 PM
It's a really great tutorial :D But i have a problem.
I don't know how much clay to use on one mask D:

I know the instructions say two packages, but there are different packages with different amounts. There are ones that have 2.5 oz and another one that's 5 oz.

I'm not sure which to buy.
I'm using a hockey mask for my base if it's any help.

Please help :lost:

PervertedHermit
10-28-2007, 02:24 AM
actually I went out and purchessed two 4oz. model magic today to try and make a mask... I got two of the regular face masks like she did and well first off, the masks were waaaaaay to small but I figured to try and make it work anyway..

I placed the clay on the white mask, then placed the whole thing on my face since I have a larger face than just the mask.. Thats when the fit hit the shan..

I got it all good lik eI wanted it and layed it on the table and the clay spread back and lost its shape..

SOOoooo... Im trying another method. I tried a milk jug mask... I cut it to conform to the middle of my nose and down to my chin, much like Kakashi's black face mask.. Now Im going to take PlasterForm plaster cloth and making it that way.. I'm going this method so the lower mouth / lower half looks less human.. I'll post pics once I get the mask moving...

BTW... her way would totaly work, just didnt work for fat heads like me =)

Byakuya-sama
10-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I finished my Airashii (my made up naruto character) hunter-nin mask. Weeee!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1307663

Cloth to tie it on ftw.

Chaotic Era
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Ok, so I know there are a lot better Tobi masks out there, but hey I like mine anyways. So anyways, using the awesome Anbu mask tutortial technique, I made Tobi! =D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Tobi.jpg

SpankCarrot
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
actually I went out and purchessed two 4oz. model magic today to try and make a mask... I got two of the regular face masks like she did and well first off, the masks were waaaaaay to small but I figured to try and make it work anyway..

I placed the clay on the white mask, then placed the whole thing on my face since I have a larger face than just the mask.. Thats when the fit hit the shan..

I got it all good lik eI wanted it and layed it on the table and the clay spread back and lost its shape..

SOOoooo... Im trying another method. I tried a milk jug mask... I cut it to conform to the middle of my nose and down to my chin, much like Kakashi's black face mask.. Now Im going to take PlasterForm plaster cloth and making it that way.. I'm going this method so the lower mouth / lower half looks less human.. I'll post pics once I get the mask moving...

BTW... her way would totaly work, just didnt work for fat heads like me =)

Thanks for telling me how much you used :)
It really helped in my decision making process X3
I'm making two masks, one for me and one for my incompetent brother ._. lol

Luckily, they had a sale on model magic clay at Michael's.
32 oz. for $14.00 :bigtu:

I'm rushing this costume though.
I'm starting from scratch 0% and hopefully will have it done by tommorow morning.
Will I finish? Dum Dumm Dummmm!
I'll post up pics later n_n

Byakuya-sama
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, so I know there are a lot better Tobi masks out there, but hey I like mine anyways. So anyways, using the awesome Anbu mask tutortial technique, I made Tobi! =D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Tobi.jpg

I think it's really a nice mask :)

I like how you took some creative liberty with it :D

Looks great!

Chaotic Era
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I think it's really a nice mask :)

I like how you took some creative liberty with it :D

Looks great!

Thanks! =D

Queen Anime 99
11-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Chaotic Era, thank you SO MUCH. :D I am making a mask like yours and your tutorial really helped.

So I saw the tutorial and it inspired me to make my own anbu mask. OR well at least my own version of it. Mine happens to be a wolf one. =) What I changed about mine though, is I added a muzzel (Sp?) to the mask, so, I bought three packages of the M.M. Which was actually more than I needed XD. But anywho. Here's all the materials http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/015.jpg

The acrylic paint I bought is the Americana brand. Since I wanted to put a muzzel on the mask I taped quilt batting to the mask for a base shape.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/018.jpg

Then I combined all three packages of M.M., rolled out the ball into a BIG sheet and carefully put it over the mask and batting. Then I carefully shaped the muzzel to well, look like one. When I was shaping the m.m. it got finger prints on it, so if I just gently used my palm and fingers while the m.m. was still soft I managed to smooth out some of the prints. Also, if you use batting as a base for the shape of what ever you're making, be sure you have it the shape you need. I tried to use the batting to help shape the ears and messed up on the shape, and couldn't get the batting to unstick from the m.m. and had to throw it away. So be sure you have the shape you need before sticking it to the batting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/022.jpg

So instead to get a good shape for the ears (Which was a pain in the butt to find) I put the top of the mask ontop of a piece of paper, sketched out the shape that I wanted, then put the paper on a rolled out sheet of left over m.m. and using a pair of good scissors cut the shape out and molded it to my liking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/023.jpg

I know really it says to use superglue on the ears after letting it dry, but I'm too impatient to wait to buy superglue, so I just hotglued the ears on before they fully finished drying. So far so good on the ears, but it was only this morning I glued them on so I'll have ta let ya know if it holds up ok. I still don't have a elastic strap for the mask because the craft store I went to didn't have one that would work for what I wanted. Now all I have left is to paint it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/024.jpg

Here's the back
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/025.jpg

So thanks Ashlee-chan for the tutorial! I had so much fun making the mask ^_^

EDIT: Yeay I finished with painting so here it is ^___^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuWolf.jpg

Chaotic Era
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Chaotic Era, thank you SO MUCH. :D I am making a mask like yours and your tutorial really helped.

I'm glad I was able to be of help to someone ^_^ Oh, and I know in the picture of the back there was alot of excess Model magic, if you let the mask dry COMPLETELY for say a few days, you can take a box cutter and carefully cut away the excess. Or, when you place the rolled out model magic over the mask, you can take the box cutter and cut the excess off around the edges before folding them over to hold onto the mask so there is less to fold over.

on another note, The hotglue works PERFECTLY ^_^

EDIT: I've really had fun making the masks so I've been taking creative liberties and making not really ANBU masks buy my own style of masks kinda lol so here are the piccies ^-^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DualMask.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/MoonMask.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/SunMask.jpg

and I've got another one in the works ^-^

itachi101
11-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Can some help me design a mask i would like a bear if you can find for me and i know uciha sakura has helped me yeterday so i could use some help plz.

Uchiha Sakura
12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I love this tutorial so much!! thanks for posting it.

My finished product.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1346396

It is ANBU Sakura's mask lol.

Chaotic Era
12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Hehe so I've been a little mask crazy latly I must admit, soooo here are two new masks that I have just recently finished ^-^

My Anbu Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuCat.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/ThreeFourthsView.jpg

and my Anubis mask ^-^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00667.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00665.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00664.jpg

obviously not anbu, but damn if I didn't have fun making that one ^-^

StrawberryNinja
12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
and my Anubis mask ^-^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00667.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00665.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/DSC00664.jpg

obviously not anbu, but damn if I didn't have fun making that one ^-^

Egyptian shinobi...? Anyways, I love the way your masks turn out. They're so awesome. Props to ya. Well props to all the masks in here. Better than what I've done. __*__;;

Chaotic Era
12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Egyptian shinobi...? Anyways, I love the way your masks turn out. They're so awesome. Props to ya. Well props to all the masks in here. Better than what I've done. __*__;;

Lol I like that idea, a shinobi from Egype XD And thank you for the compliment ^_^

dude121
12-27-2007, 07:22 PM
thanks for the ideas but has anyone tried to make a bleach hollow mask i would like 2 c how they did so i can make mine

Sharkey
12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
That is the same question I was going to ask, dude121.

Also, how does the mask feel when you make it? From everything that has been said I think that I'll be making mine out of the sculpty (sp?) clay. Question about it though, I am planning on carving teeth for my mask, would I be able to easily carve the teeth in the sculpty clay and they stay while I make them all before I bake the clay? Also, for my Hollow mask it doesn't really have a 'nose' on the show and I was wondering if some of your ANBU masks were built without noses either and if so if they were comfortable or what, or should I just make the mask a little convex to make room for nose. Last question (for now :) ) I am trying to figure out a way to give my eyes that inverted/yellow color look that the mask has on the anime and was thinking of just taking lenses from a pair of yellow hunting glasses to do it, but I haven't thought of a good way to incorporate that into the design or if it would even look that great/ if there was a better way to do it. Any suggestions are much appreciated, Thanks.

x_KabutosGirl_x
12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you sooo much for this tutorial. I'm going to go make my mask right now. I'm cosplaying as Kabuto in his traitor/Anbu costume ^^ I'm so happy i found this. I'll post my finished work when i'm done.

dude121
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
thtas the same question i wanted 2 ask if i follow it this way and pu he clay over the mask can i put like glasses lense over he eye whole so it looks like a skull and wat i do is i make the teeth and put i on there thats wat i did wit his it was a early mask of a hollw that i did bu know i want 2 make a full mask of a hollow

Chaotic Era
01-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeay another mask done! ^-^

sadly this one decided that it wanted to crack alot around the eyes XD but I still love how it turned out. And with out further ado! ANBU BUNNY XD lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Side-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuRabbit2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuRabbit.jpg

Sharkey
01-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Chaotic Era, great job on the mask. And I wouldn't worry about the cracks around that eye they look really cool and just add to some battle damage or the wearer has a powerful left eye jutsu that cracked the mask.

Chaotic Era
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Chaotic Era, great job on the mask. And I wouldn't worry about the cracks around that eye they look really cool and just add to some battle damage or the wearer has a powerful left eye jutsu that cracked the mask.

Thanks! =D

saiyamanmasenko
01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
well, this is a great tutorial. I'm not a very skilled artist or anything but I'm trying it out right now. With any luck mine will turn out semi-OK. Having some trouble with the ears, but that's OK. Everything needs to be individualized, huh?

Bizzaro_Jessie
01-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Heres my Tobi Mask I tried to make with this tutorial. It's not painted yeat but i think it still looks good.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/bizarrojessi/DSCN1414.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/bizarrojessi/DSCN1418.jpg

I know the swirls are wrong but I was foolish and tried to make it by memory...
I'll post pictures when I paint it.

Bizzaro_Jessie
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Using this tutorial I made a Tobi Mask. It worked really well with it and I like the out come of the mask. I made it by memory which is a bad idea because it doesn't look how Tobi's mask should look but I like it anyways.

Heres some pics:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/bizarrojessi/DSCN1414.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/bizarrojessi/DSCN1418.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/bizarrojessi/DSCN1416.jpg

I'll post more Pictures when I paint it...

saiyamanmasenko
01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
hey Bizarro, you're links aren't working. They all came back as "Page not found." You might wanna make sure you have that Photobucket album set to where other people can view it. I'm hoping to see this Tobi mask.

Bizzaro_Jessie
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Hopefully these pictures will work. If not the mask is in my profile as well.

Kasumiharu
01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Wow! The mask thing you made was really cool. Next time I get to the store ((and i have money)) Im gonna get that stuff and make one! :D Should be fun! :chatah:

ConfundusCharm
01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I just used you tutorial to make my mask. Mine didn't come out as smooth as yours but that because I'm not very patient. lol

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/RosesOnTheCoffin/ANBU001.jpg

yurika-chan
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a question
What's white crayola model magic??
Sorry,but I don't know it
'cause in my country don't sell anything with that name
Could you explain me what's that??
I really sorry,but please,explain me...

saiyamanmasenko
01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a question
What's white crayola model magic??
Sorry,but I don't know it
'cause in my country don't sell anything with that name
Could you explain me what's that??
I really sorry,but please,explain me...It is a clay-type product put out by the company Crayola. It's more of a foam than a clay, really. It is soft and doesn't make a mess when being used. If left out over-night, it will harden and become useless/molded to whatever shape it was left in. It is rather quite useful.

http://www.google.com/products?q=crayola+model+magic&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1 that link should help you understand a little better what it is. Hopefully some of this will become available in your part of the world soon. I hope this helps.

Chaotic Era
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Hehe, ok so again, after going mask crazy (What can I say, I have fun making them), here are a bunch more ^_^ some came out better than expected, others not, but I love them all ^-^

This first one is just a basic human type mask
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/BasicAnbu.jpg

This one inspired by a panda =)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuPanda.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Side-2.jpg

For this one a fox
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuFox.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Sideview.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Top.jpg

A cheetah
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuCheetah.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Sideview1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Sideview2.jpg

and a tiger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/AnbuTiger.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Sideview1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/Sideview2-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/kily_yuy/Cosplay/TopView.jpg

I know they don't really resemble the animal i've labeled them as, but that's ok cause really they were just inspired by the animal ^_^

EDIT: I realize that some of the pictures are kinda blury, sorry about that. Apparently I don't have a very steady hand when it comes to taking pictures >.>

chibi_kitsune
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
I would have to try this, one of the costumes I wanted to make was Anbu but the mask and arm guards seemed abit difficult since i've never made anything like that before.

HunteretnuH
01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey there, if you have any trouble with altering the eyes, like I did with the base mask, well, here's a good trick:
-If the mask is made of plastic, simply take a thin, metallic tool, heat it up with a flame, and trace the part where you want the eyes to be. Idealy, do it after having removed the clay part where you want your eyes to be.

Queen Anime 99
01-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Chaotic_Era, I LOVE your masks. *_* I had a question:

1. Did you use any sealer? If so, what's the name of the sealer? Did you use the sealer before painting and after painting?

Thank you. Again, I am so in love with your masks. (Especially the panda one ^_^)

Chaotic Era
01-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Chaotic_Era, I LOVE your masks. *_* I had a question:

1. Did you use any sealer? If so, what's the name of the sealer? Did you use the sealer before painting and after painting?

Thank you. Again, I am so in love with your masks. (Especially the panda one ^_^)

Lol thanks ^-^

And actually I didn't use any sealer before or after painting. I just let the M.M. dry really well before painting it. The paint I use is just plain old acyrilic. I found that using a fan that sit ontop of a table or even on the floor that's stationary really helps the drying process go faster and helps keep the mask from cracking too.
And thanks again for all the compliments ^_^

Queen Anime 99
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Chaotic. :D

Lol thanks ^-^

And actually I didn't use any sealer before or after painting. I just let the M.M. dry really well before painting it. The paint I use is just plain old acyrilic. I found that using a fan that sit ontop of a table or even on the floor that's stationary really helps the drying process go faster and helps keep the mask from cracking too.
And thanks again for all the compliments ^_^

Chaotic Era
01-30-2008, 10:56 PM
No problem Queen ^_^

haiden-sama
02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi, are you selling them? Well, if you have msn, I have a bunch of questions to ask you Chaotic Era! Mine is: jean_sky_walker@hotmail.com
See you!

Chaotic Era
02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi, are you selling them? Well, if you have msn, I have a bunch of questions to ask you Chaotic Era! Mine is: jean_sky_walker@hotmail.com
See you!

Hey Haiden-sama, I actually don't have IM on my computer but you can e-mail me. I'll PM you my e-mail address. I'm hoping to sell them yes.

shdowlink
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
because of this thread i was able to make armguards and post a tutorial:rockon:

OsukaXArino
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I saw this thread... and even though its a simple process I don't have alot of time to make the mask and not time to get out to the store.. plus im just not keen on doing the work myself since mask making is something i avoid...

So if anybody is looking to earn some cash I was wondering if somebody would be wiling to do a mask for me

jaiv28
02-16-2008, 10:18 PM
First of all, magnificent tutorial!:bigtu:

second of all:
I would like to make this character's face into a mask, I thik it would look better than me smilling all the time.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/dgray-earl-tn.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/A2-2.jpg (bottom left)
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/A2.jpg (again bottom left)

The thing I'd like to know from those of you that have made masks is if the material is sturdy enough to pull off one of these two masks?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/earlconcept.jpg
the red stuff would be the long chin and the ears. Im thinking that the ears wold be a no-no, and thats fine I can get elf ears instead but the chin seems very important.

Thanks again for the tutorial! and for any comments! :toothy:

Uchiha Sakura
02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
First of all, magnificent tutorial!:bigtu:

second of all:
I would like to make this character's face into a mask, I thik it would look better than me smilling all the time.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/dgray-earl-tn.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/A2-2.jpg (bottom left)
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/A2.jpg (again bottom left)

The thing I'd like to know from those of you that have made masks is if the material is sturdy enough to pull off one of these two masks?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/jaiv28/earlconcept.jpg
the red stuff would be the long chin and the ears. Im thinking that the ears wold be a no-no, and thats fine I can get elf ears instead but the chin seems very important.

Thanks again for the tutorial! and for any comments! :toothy:

you could do this all in one piece but i would suggest making a support out of the floral foam or something in order for it to stand by it's self better. but be careful these masks can be fragile.

AznAnimeChickXD
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
SWEET! I think I can use this to make a good Hollow mask as well. Thanks for the post! (bookmarks)

anbugenji
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
That is the same question I was going to ask, dude121.

Also, how does the mask feel when you make it? From everything that has been said I think that I'll be making mine out of the sculpty (sp?) clay. Question about it though, I am planning on carving teeth for my mask, would I be able to easily carve the teeth in the sculpty clay and they stay while I make them all before I bake the clay? Also, for my Hollow mask it doesn't really have a 'nose' on the show and I was wondering if some of your ANBU masks were built without noses either and if so if they were comfortable or what, or should I just make the mask a little convex to make room for nose. Last question (for now :) ) I am trying to figure out a way to give my eyes that inverted/yellow color look that the mask has on the anime and was thinking of just taking lenses from a pair of yellow hunting glasses to do it, but I haven't thought of a good way to incorporate that into the design or if it would even look that great/ if there was a better way to do it. Any suggestions are much appreciated, Thanks.

what you might do is make a nose (so it fits your face right) then just add more sculpty clay or whatever to cover the nose area

ANBU101
02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
thats what i made my anbu mask out of

Zazu
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
This is such a great tutorial. [/Nod nod.] Excellent work. It's really a great alternate for a cheap bum like myself. . w.-b
I do have some questions, though.
+I was planning on making the bird mask instead of the Kitsune one, but I've made the beak several times over and over, any tips on how I could accurately make it?
+Once I do make it, how in the world would I attach it and suff?
And the worst one of all... ; o;

I had made the mask, it looked absolutely perfect- no seams or anything, I brought it to my room carefully and put it on a flat surface where it could dry overnight. When I woke up- the edges, starting at the top of the mask down to where the sides of the eyeholes where were dented in, and several ugly marks where there. Luckily, it was only on the side of the mask, nothing on the front.
I heard of the "Fifteen seconds in the microwave" trick with model magic, but it's been almost 24 hours, so I don't think that would work, but I could be (And hopefully are) wrong.
I was just thinking about sanding down the bulgy parts, since Model Magic is sandable, painting it white to make it look cleaner, and then designing it with sharpie/paint/whatever once it dried. Before I do anything stupid, please, stop me. > w>;;

Sorry for all the questions. ><;; But thanks for the help. <33

SpankCarrot
03-30-2008, 02:22 AM
I've got to say that I really love this tutorial and it was so very helpful in making this mask. Hehehe, I remember when I went to Target to buy some of the materials and the clerk that rung me up gave me the weirdest look: "Sleeping bag, one Naruto action Figure, one rolling pin and paint? o.O Sounds like a crazy night". ME: "yeah... :crylaugh:" lol that was off topic XP.

Well, I posted here back in October '07 And I completely forgot to post my completed product X_XI was so proud of myself for making this mask XDI made my Anbu Mask and Costume [[plus my brother's costume and mask -_-]] in one night! I'm sure that I could've made it look much better if I had taken more time to.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z111/pinaymod/Cosplay002.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z111/pinaymod/Cosplay004.jpg

:toothy:

Thanks for this great tutorial ^_^

MidniteSunshine
03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I just made one...well sorta-it's still drying. It worked out great though-I was kinda surprised. My impatience sometimes gets the better of me, lol. But it only took a few minutes to do. I can't wait to paint it, I love paint:toothy:. Mines suppose to look like a weasel seeing as I'm doing ANBU Itachi, but so far, it looks more like a fox. Oh well, I guess. It looks pretty cool and I'll post a few pics when I'm done. (-runs to find camera-)

Dontaxp
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Can I ask how would you do this if the..."mask" doesn't fit your face,

Not the finished product, but the actualy mask.

I had one from earlier and I tried it and it doesn't cover my whole face, only like half.

Kaiya-Chan
04-05-2008, 09:14 AM
OMG I just finish putting the clay onto the mask and i had to do it twice coz the clay i got was "extra soft" and it left marks of me trying to press down and mold it. my goodness.. i got so fustrated. NOW i have to do the ears and im freaked out coz im not sure on how to do it. OH yeah do u think its ok to glue the ears down with a hot glue gun? coz it would suck if the ears came off while im at the convention LOL you know with alot of ppl walkin around and such.. ppl tend to bump into u by mistake. XD:rockon:

SpankCarrot
04-05-2008, 08:50 PM
OMG I just finish putting the clay onto the mask and i had to do it twice coz the clay i got was "extra soft" and it left marks of me trying to press down and mold it. my goodness.. i got so fustrated. NOW i have to do the ears and im freaked out coz im not sure on how to do it. OH yeah do u think its ok to glue the ears down with a hot glue gun? coz it would suck if the ears came off while im at the convention LOL you know with alot of ppl walkin around and such.. ppl tend to bump into u by mistake. XD:rockon:

Well, that's what I did XD I think glue gunning will work mos def.

I was freaked out that super gluing the ears wouldn't be enough,
So then I wanted to hotglue them first... but after I did that, they held up pretty nicely, So the super glue wasn't needed.

Just make sure you don't use too much hot glue or it'll show on the front of the mask like mines did. You can see some on the left ear in the pic I posted.

wanabecosplayer
04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Ive had model magic many times before, for some reason everytime like maybe a week after any small pieces fell off, im hopeing this will work cuz its only 3 pieces and not very many itty bitty things like the eyes on a blob thing i made when i was younger. I went to micheals and found the mask in the section with the feathers... kinda weird but w/e it was like $8 and the clay was about $5 a package so i spent like $18 bucks >.< i hope it turns out well

mmk I made one and it looks like a bunny... it wasnt suppost to but Im actually quite happy with it... I'm going to decorate it with sakura flowers ^_^

fireblackdragon
04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
mmk I made one and it looks like a bunny... it wasnt suppost to but Im actually quite happy with it... I'm going to decorate it with sakura flowers ^_^

Mine does a little too. But I think it looks fine that way.

I used Plaster (for shame I know) to make mine. I've worked with plaster before and I just love it, I can't look at clay anymore. But uh, I used a different brand of plaster from that at my college and this plaster doesn't seem to want to hold paint. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Thus far I've tried acrylics, spray paint and water based paints. I'm trying to paint the whole thing white first and then add the stripes I want for a smoother look.)

Chaotic Era
04-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Yes hot glue works on model magic, actually it works really well on model magic, just not if you've painted the M.M. already then glue a piece to it.

NOTE: It helps to read through more than just the first few pages of the topic as a question you ask may already have been answered

Queen Anime 99
04-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Hey guys. I had a question.

I'm doing Lock from The Nightmare Before Christmas/Kingdom Hearts. Here's a picture of him. He's the one in red. http://www.register123.com/event/accounts/register123/disney/disneyland/events/calendar2005/lockshockbob.jpg

Notice the mask. It's very flat at the top and the “horns” grow out of the top corners of the mask. If I do the Anbu mask tutorial exactly, my mask will still look cool, but the top will be round and the horns will not be growing out of the corners of the mask because there is, of course, no corners.

I was wondering if I could do this: Get two plastic masks that are exactly the same. I will cut “horns” out of one mask and I will hot glue or super glue (Which one is better?) the horns to the top of the other mask. I will not glue them on the edge of the mask but on the top area of the mask. After the hot glue or super glue dried, I was then going to do the rest of the Anbu mask tutorial (put the Model Magic on, etc. etc.). I was thinking the Model Magic would blend the mask with the attached “horns.” Would that work?

Below is an attachment that explains what I'm trying to do better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

wanabecosplayer
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
maybe if you cut off the top of the mask where it rounds your forehead and cut it so the top is straight across when you look at it from the front that might work

Queen Anime 99
04-29-2008, 12:27 AM
That might work. Thank you so much. :D

maybe if you cut off the top of the mask where it rounds your forehead and cut it so the top is straight across when you look at it from the front that might work

d.n.angel fan
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
what you said about accidentily scrating it after its dry can you sand it so the "scrach" will go away

DevinWho
06-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Would anyone mind posting themselves wearing their anbu masks? Im about to start construction on mines and would like to actually wear it on my face at this years AX. But don;t want large holes for my eyes. I was wondering how difficult it was to see through completed masks if the eyes were slits

wanabecosplayer
06-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Would anyone mind posting themselves wearing their anbu masks? Im about to start construction on mines and would like to actually wear it on my face at this years AX. But don;t want large holes for my eyes. I was wondering how difficult it was to see through completed masks if the eyes were slits

i have a picture of me wearing mine in my gallery, if you do the regular circle holes you can still see pretty well

DevinWho
06-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Its mainly because I want to make a mask like this one

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9919/132012rs9.jpg

and I cant even tell if he poked eye slots. Id really like to make one with eyes like that so you cant see my eyes through the mask but I dont know if Id be able to see with it.

Im a martial arts tricker so occasionally id probably trick and flip in it so i wanna make sure I can spot the ground

wanabecosplayer
06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
you could probably see still but again not altogether well, if you do anbu you could probably prop the mask on the side of your head while you do tricks and flips

Psycho_Tobi123
06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
This tutorial will help me a lot, but I wouldn't where to get the supplies
because there are no Hobby Lobbies in San Diego. Please I need help.

DevinWho
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I just googled Michaels in San Diego, their everywhere. Just use mapquest to find it. Thats where I get my masks

Psycho_Tobi123
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Ok thanx

loveless45
06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
this tutorial is great

Edit: do u know where can i get cheap magical modeling clay

dothacknet
06-30-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks for the tutorial it really help. I made this one on my first try
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1590274/

Blackthorn
07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the awesome tutorial! It was super-helpful; I had no idea how to go about making an ANBU mask 'til I came across this.

I decided to make a dragon mask; here's how it is so far:

http://www.imagecabin.com/?view=2156507563cb641d02f33e09a

I still have to sand and paint it but I can't do that 'til it's dry! :sulk: I'm really impatient, hehehe...

Thanks again for the excellent tutorial! :D

@loveless45: Try Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or probably even Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

Dark_FluffyChan
07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you soooo much for this tutorial!! I was planning on buying a mask from the internet, but this way was so much cheeper thank you again! ^_^

Sunarry
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
This not only awsome but also really helpful! I have not sewing machine to work on outfits, but this is super easy and has a great effect! Thank you for doing this!! But where can you get a white mask like that in california? (there's no Hobby Lobby or Display and Costume here)
*Nya*

wanabecosplayer
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
This not only awsome but also really helpful! I have not sewing machine to work on outfits, but this is super easy and has a great effect! Thank you for doing this!! But where can you get a white mask like that in california? (there's no Hobby Lobby or Display and Costume here)
*Nya*

someone suggested walmart and kmart but pretty much any big craft store around you, i have a micheals around me while other people might have a hobby lobby, the model magic you can get in probably either the playdo aisle or where the crayola stuff is

Sunarry
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
someone suggested walmart and kmart but pretty much any big craft store around you, i have a micheals around me while other people might have a hobby lobby, the model magic you can get in probably either the playdo aisle or where the crayola stuff is
Thank you very much!
*Nya*

Sunarry
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
For list of items needed you say two bags...what size bags? I found 4oz. bags or 8oz. bags...:confused:
same here
*Nya*

Blackthorn
07-12-2008, 04:14 AM
When I used two 8-oz bags I still had a rather sizable amount left, so I think 4-oz bags would work...but then again, it's always nice to have some extra on hand just in case. ^^

Chaotic Era
07-12-2008, 07:53 PM
When I used two 8-oz bags I still had a rather sizable amount left, so I think 4-oz bags would work...but then again, it's always nice to have some extra on hand just in case. ^^

You only need one 8oz. bag, or 2 4oz bags. I suppose though if you use two 8oz bags that you could always make some extra add on's to the mask. Generally I just get the tub of white model magic that has four 8oz bags in it for 20$ In the long run if you're going to make several masks it's actually cheeper that way.

princedraco
07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
For Anbu people who make masks-
A friend made me a mask, unfortunately we live far away so she couldn't mold it on me or anything, just make a general mask. The mask looks so awesome but keeping it on without putting pressure and weight on my nose is a problem for otakon in a week keeping it for long periods of time which id like to be able to wear it for some hours in a row.

Basically the back has a strap on left and right side that you tie together. I have to tie it as tight as it can for inside nose part to sit on my nose and stay on my face but it puts downward pressure and weight on my nose. If I loosen the tie of strap in the back just a little to take pressure off my nose the mask starts to slip down and off.

What would be the best thing to do or add on for support to keep mask on my face but not put to much pressure or weight on my nose.

So what can i buy or do to give better support to keep mask on my face without putting pressure on my nose. Add 2 extra straps on top and bottom or foam in the nose section? if so how do i do either?

pics-
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/marenaleague/IMG_0612.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/marenaleague/IMG_0614.jpg

Sunarry
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
I finally finished my mask!! Well, it was done for a while I just now got the pictures;
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Sunarry/?action=view&current=ANBUMask.jpg
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Sunarry/?action=view&current=ANBUMaskwearing.jpg
*Nya*

crayonattack
08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I just realized that I had used this thread and never thanked you!
My mask turned out AMAZING, thanks so much for a great tutorial!
I would post a picture, but my con was several months ago and it rained, so the paint is smudged and I lost an ear due to poor gluing, but thanks SO much for the awesome tutorial! :D

wanabecosplayer
08-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I had a bit of a problem with my mask.. it sorta shrank... I ended up separating the molded mask from the plastic one, so I'm going to try to make a new one, also I wasnt too happy with the design on mine so.. this way i can make a new design..

cow_lover_9
08-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks so much. Here is my mask, (I made the lines crappy and didn't have enough clay for the ears) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1656784/

Geejay
08-30-2008, 01:17 AM
I also wanted to thank you for the tutorial, didn't know model magic was this useful, thanks! here's how my mask turned out. http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z233/GeejaysCustoms/Anime/AnbuMask/Anbumask3.jpg ^_^

~Gj

Chaotic Era
08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I also wanted to thank you for the tutorial, didn't know model magic was this useful, thanks! here's how my mask turned out. http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z233/GeejaysCustoms/Anime/AnbuMask/Anbumask3.jpg ^_^

~Gj

Wow, that's some amazing detail work. Did you use paint?

Geejay
08-30-2008, 10:11 AM
thanks! yes i used paint for the red parts and white. And sharpied the outlines. Thanks again! your masks came our nice and clean too. Just wondering, whatcu do with em? lol, I saw you make like 10+ masks. ^_^

~Gj

Chaotic Era
08-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Ahh, that's a nifty idea. The lines on the mask came out really well. I still have problems keeping all my lines clean when I paint, 'cause well I'm just not much of a painter XD I've managed to sell some of them on e-bay. =)

Geejay
08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
they look pretty clean to me! ^_^

~Gj

Chaotic Era
08-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks! =D

xLunarxKishx
08-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Would this also work for a Haku mask?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/groudonpatz/Broken_Haku-1.jpg

Geejay
08-31-2008, 02:57 PM
definitely! ^_^

~Gj

aztigdaw14
09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
how did you make it shine...
what pain do you use?

and give me tips to have a design on my mask
here is the example of mask i want to make
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/aztigdaw14/?action=view&current=2497177701_0815d55b21.jpg

ill wait for your reply..

reply in my email address

didmichael0140@yahoo.com

thanks

J.Kazama
09-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I did this today! Two times! The mask was a bit different than that one, but I liked the result. I'll paint my Anbu mask in 2 days or so

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/Khotary/P9170006.jpg

I like the way it got in the mouth because it will make it easier for me to paint it. Yup, not exactly as your result, but a good way to get started, right?!

xolthitl
10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
how much of the Crayola Model Magic clay is needed? I know it says 2 packages, but which ones?the 4 oz package?

xolthitl
10-18-2008, 10:36 AM
can i get some tips on paint also? i want something permanent,but forgiving also

chibi_kitsune
10-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I tried to make the mask today, I didn't know it would feel so light and airy. I thought it would be heavier. Unfortunately I didn't buy enough clay it seems so I'm trying to keep it from drying until I buy more.

Geejay
10-19-2008, 01:48 AM
I was able to make an anbu mask with just one 4oz Model Magic bag. It took me two bags for the Tobi mask. I used regualr acrylic paints and even markers (Sharpie) to make the lines clean. As for the shine, you can also clear coat it. I like to use laquer on mine. (Testor's Dul Cote or Gloss) Hope that helps a bit.

~Gj

xolthitl
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
for the ears, which has a stronger bond, hot glue gun, or super glue

chibi_kitsune
10-21-2008, 03:10 AM
I was able to make an anbu mask with just one 4oz Model Magic bag. It took me two bags for the Tobi mask. I used regular acrylic paints and even markers (Sharpie) to make the lines clean. As for the shine, you can also clear coat it. I like to use laquer on mine. (Testor's Dul Cote or Gloss) Hope that helps a bit.

~Gj

Oh good, I have the right paint then (just bought acrylic paint and didn't know how well it will work, this my first time making a mask).

How much does gloss cost, is it the same as the other paint?

Well as soon as a pick up a bit more of the model magic I will try again and maybe post the results when finished.

Geejay
10-21-2008, 09:58 AM
You shoud be able to find clear gloss in the spray paint area, and at times, they sell testors in the hobby area. It's about $3 i think? Just stay away from enamel, cuz that stuff doesn't dry. I've used that before on my sculptures, and its still not dry, and that was like 3-5 yrs ago, lol. Very sticky and tacky. i think it's used for metallic cars(?) Anyway, have fun and yep post it, i'd love to see it! ^_^

~Gj

Chaotic Era
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
for the ears, which has a stronger bond, hot glue gun, or super glue

Super glue works wonderfully to keep the ears attached, very strong bond. You may want to use it instead of hot glue.

I use hot glue myself and have had no problems with ears comming off thus far, except when attaching a painted piece of m.m. magic with hot glue, then it tends to pop off because the paint won't allow it to adhere to the hot glue.

The only difference in my opinion is super glue is less messy and you won't see the dry glue from the hot glue gun. It's really just you're preference.

I've had bad encounters with super glue ( gluing fingers together.... >.<) so I like to use hot glue as much as possible instead.

EDIT: Just my little tibit on tips and techniques for making an anbu mask. It's really mostly about trial and error and just finding what technique best suits you.

xolthitl
10-22-2008, 12:47 AM
is there any way to apply gloss to the mask without it leaving the paintbrush stroke marks?

Geejay
10-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Yes, using a gloss from a spray paint can. Similar to this one. http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/images/gsb513.jpg or if you have an airbrush, thin down your gloss that you have ina bottle and airbrush it on.

~Gj

xolthitl
11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
ok i finally made it, and i think it came out fine =) http://www.flickr.com/photos/32105000@N04/?saved=1

Geejay
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
That came out great! awesome work! Nice and crisp line! How the ears, regarding its stability?

~Gj

xolthitl
11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
the ears are working out pretty well, they arent too thin so they stay on well. Everything is pretty stable.

pycrazy07
12-06-2008, 06:08 PM
hey i was wondering if u guys think it would work if i made a beak instead of ears to copy the mask from this pic.

pycrazy07
12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
or should i just paint it:confused:

Sharkey
12-06-2008, 06:41 PM
hey i was wondering if u guys think it would work if i made a beak instead of ears to copy the mask from this pic.

Definitely, just use some paper clay (or the clay of your choosing) to build up a slight nose, and make sure to give it extra time to dry for the increased thickness. Get some liquid latex or spirit gum to hold it on your face if you don't want to fiddle with straps.

FMABloodSeal
12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
where can I buy a Plastic Mask of a full human face? .-.

Sharkey
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
You can buy them from Hobby Lobby and Micheal's, but they are rather small, so you may just be better off making a mold of your face using paper mache or rigid wrap.

Chaotic Era
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
where can I buy a Plastic Mask of a full human face? .-.

Joanns also sells them. They tend to be for smaller faces though because the modle they used was of a woman.

lickylicky
12-21-2008, 03:49 PM
dumb question, but did you guys put on the gloss before or aftr painting the mask? 0_o

Chaotic Era
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
After painting =D

hokagegirl
12-29-2008, 02:29 AM
wat kind of color method would be best to use. paint?

Sharkey
12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Yea, paint is the best, just make sure to use gesso before you start painting.

maskter
12-31-2008, 10:47 PM

The beak of a bird is, as we all know, not flat, so by just painting the beak on won't make it realistic enough.
We're constructing a mask here, not graffiti. ^__^

"Gah! Who gives a crap about a mask looking realistic anyways?! I just want a freaking mask to cosplay with!"

That's what most cosplayers think, constructing a prop just so that he/she'll get something to cosplay with.
Put in more effort in the props making and you'll look a lot better playing as the 2D characters in the anime.
If one doesn't really care about the prop looking good, then just draw the prop on paper and cosplay with that piece of paper! *giggles*

What the.. why the hell am I typing all these nonsense! >D

OK, back on topic now.
For the beak, use this little trick I use for my masks...

- Shape out the beak out of a piece of aluminium foil, folded in two.
This is just how I make my ANBU (fox) mask ears.
I NEVER work with plaster and/or molding clay without first having a sample of the part I'm gonna make in aluminium foil.

- Next, position it on your mask, do some final adjustments (advantages of aluminium foil base) and stick some sticky tapes on the foil to the mask, so that it stays in place.

- You will then get plaster (of Paris) bandages and 'paste' them on the shaped foil.

- Leave it to dry. Next, get some plaster of Paris, mix it with water (I personally do a 1:1 1/2 ratio) and brush it over the dried beak/ear (or whatever part you're making) til it's smooth, or at least thick enough to sand later.

- Sand it with fine sandpaper, and finish off with paint, and finally, clear paint.

That's it! Light and strong beak for your mask.
Hope that helped!

I'll post a picture of my ANBU fox mask when I'm not too lazy hehe.

Great thread btw TS! Love it! ^_____^

- Maskter

anbu_hatake
01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
i got all the stuff but when i saw the mask at the store it wasnt the right size for my face.
by the way is the strap for you to keep the mask on just called an elastic band because i dont think thats really elastic, like some sort of fiber maybe?
nice tut though :D

Sharkey
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Yea the masks are really tiny. It's best just to make your own mask mold of your face with paper-mache or rigid-Wrap. And yea you just need to look for a strip of elastic (it is kinda fibrous).

Geejay
01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
The mardi gras masks i got from michaels were actually big enough, The Mask is called "Feathers" and on the barcode it says "Mask Form Full Face HVY WT" this mask is actually big. I'll try to get a pic.

~Gj

anbu_hatake
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah i went to michaels too
it was the same exact thing u just described
but it seemed sorta small and if it didnt turn out well i thought it would be a waste
so im thinking of going to party city to look for a similar mask
but i made the milk jug anbu mask one today

speedygaara
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
that was a great tutorial. thank-you very much!

i couldnt find model magic so i used paper clay, i'm sure they're the same! these are the things i used. (http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/speedygaara/IMG_2245.jpg)

and this was my masks final product! (http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/speedygaara/IMG_2270.jpg)

lickylicky
01-15-2009, 02:26 AM
This tutorial was awesome...!!!
here's a picture of me with my mask (sorry for the not-so-great quality: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1857677/

maskter
01-15-2009, 05:42 AM
I created 2 threads last night but non of the threads appeared here.
Anyone knows what's wrong?

I wanted to create a thread for help on my ANBU mask designs.
I'm swear I saw that it said my thread was created successfully.

GenericUsername
01-24-2009, 03:21 AM
I've bought a whole lot of MM, each pack apparently containing 8oz. Problem is, I don't know how much of it to use! @_@
Should I half the clay and just use 4oz of it or use all of it?

Also, once you've spread the MM over the mask, it looks like most of you pushed excess clay over the edges onto the inside.
Is this enough to keep the clay attached to the mask? Or should I use glue?
I just have this mental image of all the clay falling off the original face mask. XD

Thanks a bunch for the amazing tutorial!

Chaotic Era
01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
One package of 8oz is more than enough. Depending on how much you folded over the edge, it should be enough but if you feel the mask needs it you can add glue around the edge just to make sure it stays on.

I've actually had a mask pop off the original plastic one because I didn't fold enough over the edge of the plastic mask so the clay didn't have anything to hold on to.

GenericUsername
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
One package of 8oz is more than enough. Depending on how much you folded over the edge, it should be enough but if you feel the mask needs it you can add glue around the edge just to make sure it stays on.

I've actually had a mask pop off the original plastic one because I didn't fold enough over the edge of the plastic mask so the clay didn't have anything to hold on to.

Cool, thanks. :bigtu:
I've seen pictures of your previous masks and they look awesome! Does it take a few tries to get them right?

Chaotic Era
01-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks ^-^

Yeah, each mask is different so I have to adjust what I'm doing depending on how I want the mask to turn out. It took a few tries for me to get the hang of working with the M.M. and to get the hang of the process.

Just take your time and it will be well worth it :)

GenericUsername
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I've just made my mask and it's come out pretty well on the first try! :)
I didn't realise that my fingerprints would mark the clay so easily and I messed up the nose.
I'll perhaps post some photos later, once it's dried and painted. I imagine that there's going to be some cracks or problems with it when i wake up tomorrow. :sulk:

I should probably try to be helpful or something, so...

Random Tips! :bigtu:

1. Try to use your palm or some relatively flat part of your hand to hold the mask because your fingerprints indent very easily.

2. Do not place your mask face down because it'll probably get some sort indents. Keep sharp objects away.

3. When folding the clay over the edges, try to cut off some of the excess and make slits along the edges with scissors so that you can more easily fold it over.

4. Although it helps smooth over some blemishes, try to use water as little as possible. It makes fluff and dust stick to your drying mask and I've heard that it can cause cracks.
_ __ _ ___ _ ____ _ _____

That's all I can think of for now, everything important has already been said earlier in the thread anyway, but just keep my humble hints in mind.
:angel:

maskter
01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
This is my ANBU Fox Mask, made with plaster of paris.
Its not complete, still needs some paint work for the nose, mouth and eyes :sulk:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4078/picture002to8.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002to8.jpg)

Chaotic Era
01-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Random Tips! :bigtu:

1. Try to use your palm or some relatively flat part of your hand to hold the mask because your fingerprints indent very easily.

2. Do not place your mask face down because it'll probably get some sort indents. Keep sharp objects away.

3. When folding the clay over the edges, try to cut off some of the excess and make slits along the edges with scissors so that you can more easily fold it over.

4. Although it helps smooth over some blemishes, try to use water as little as possible. It makes fluff and dust stick to your drying mask and I've heard that it can cause cracks.

Good tips =)
To go along with the palm tip, when I pick up my mask I usually use my palms to pick it up. Also, if you want the underside where the folded clay is to dry faster, grab a bottle of paint or something like it and have the mask sitting on it while drying. Having the mask suspended in the air like that helps to dry everything faster.

GenericUsername
01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Good tips =)
Thanks! :)
And yeah, I put mine over an upside-down glass to dry.

I'm probably going to paint mine soon, but I'm not sure if it's completely dry yet. It still feels a bit squishy. :confused:
I'm testing out my bright red (yay!) acrylic paint on the MM. (I had some leftover, so I've made a miniature pokeball out of it, lol) :geek:

It looks alright at the moment, but I can see my brush strokes really clearly. I guess I'll have to layer the paint or something :sulk:

Chaotic Era
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
It looks alright at the moment, but I can see my brush strokes really clearly. I guess I'll have to layer the paint or something :sulk:

With some of the paint colors, your brush strokes will show up really well, especially when you're using white MM. Layers with the paint are always good, plus the paint color will actually come out more instead of being faint or pale, unless that's what you're going for.

If the mask is still squishy then it most likely needs to dry more. How long have you been letting it sit out to dry? I typically let my masks dry for a good 2 days before I start painting.

However that's just my personal preference.

I'd love to see some pictures of the mask when you're done =)

GenericUsername
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
With some of the paint colors, your brush strokes will show up really well, especially when you're using white MM. Layers with the paint are always good, plus the paint color will actually come out more instead of being faint or pale, unless that's what you're going for.

If the mask is still squishy then it most likely needs to dry more. How long have you been letting it sit out to dry? I typically let my masks dry for a good 2 days before I start painting.

It's been two days now and it feels dry enough.I just painted the first layer. I'll see how it is once it dries. :)
I think it looks pretty good considering it's my first time ever using clay like this.

Thanks a bunch for all the advice and stuff. :bigtu:

Chaotic Era
01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
no prob :)

GenericUsername
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I painted it!
It came out pretty well I think, smudged the paint at one point though. :(
I had to keep dabbing white paint everywhere which doesn't really match the rest of the mask... oh well!

Erm, haven't a clue how to upload pictures so I hope this works...
:D

Chaotic Era
01-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I painted it!
It came out pretty well I think, smudged the paint at one point though. :(
I had to keep dabbing white paint everywhere which doesn't really match the rest of the mask... oh well!

Erm, haven't a clue how to upload pictures so I hope this works...

Ohhh very interesting design! The mask looks very smooth. You did a great job on it. =D

If it wouldn't be annoying to paint the mask more, to hide those white paint spots you can always just go over the rest of the mask with the white paint so it will blend in.

GenericUsername
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Ohhh very interesting design! The mask looks very smooth. You did a great job on it. =D

If it wouldn't be annoying to paint the mask more, to hide those white paint spots you can always just go over the rest of the mask with the white paint so it will blend in.

Thank you! I wanted to keep the design pretty simple and i hope it looks like the ones in the anime.

I think painting the whole thing white would be a bit of a hassle, and I knew from the start it was never going to be perfect so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. :D

Also, the mask would probably be really shiny if I painted all of it white, which isn't very practical if you're a ninja :geek: lol

Chaotic Era
01-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Also, the mask would probably be really shiny if I painted all of it white, which isn't very practical if you're a ninja :geek: lol

Very true lol =D

nikkimustang
02-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Just finished mine, did it in less than a day though it's still a bit squishy...but it springs back quickly enough.

The Mask! Not the kind that eats your face ;D (http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/NikkiMustang77/Cosplay/101_0300.jpg)

I used a kind of spray varnish we had hanging around the house from when my mom made the charms for the link bracelets. I think it turned out alright, though I'd like to make another based on my normal face. Also, when spraying anything, make sure it's not in a box with leftover dirt in it (that you use to add height to your Christmas tree XD) or you get little specks all over it.

Also used a kind of superglue called Future Glue to stick the stockings over the eyes. I just need to get contacts and wait for it to air out and I'll be good to go. ;] Thanks for the tutorial!

Also: I used 3 packages of the M.M. Fusion stuff, cause I liked the packaging that worked really well as paint/glue mixing containers.

ArwenEvenstar
02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Question: Where can you purchase a mask? o_o arts & crafts stores?

lullaby1010
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Question: Where can you purchase a mask? o_o arts & crafts stores?

I went to Michael's, in the kid section, you'll see a bunch of feathers, that's where I found it...
Also, Hobby Lobby has them.