PDA

View Full Version : At con photography

dressdragn
01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
As a cosplayer I actualy find it hardest to look my best in at con photos. The photos are often rushed in some werid hallway with less the optimal light. However at cons is proably where I get photographed most often.

I do try a come up with some poses before the con, but sometimes I feel like I'm doing the same 3 or 4 things over and over.

Any sugestions on how to get the most out at con images?

~Anna

halafax
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
hope the photographers have enough sense to wait til you get ready before snapping your picture. I hate candid shots. I found more of me as Gungrave drinking from a water bottle than posing...

Typically I like to use three or four poses. I find a nice high traffic area and park...Its easy and less head ache.

Even if you know all the mannerisms of the character there are only so many poses that are in character, or from whatever series or anime you are from.

I mean if it is easy to do some poses then go for it.

Personally I really dislike people who wont wait for me to get ready, or ask before they snap a pic. I mean what on their web site do they label the pic as so and so sipping water, or whomever scrataching their hair?

Houki
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
If you have the poses down for your character that you practice before a con. Try to think what the character might be like outside of those "set" poses. If they are hyper, act hyper and energtic is the photo. If they are always serious, try looking off in the distance or do what I call it a "pondering" look.

Try that and see if that helps.

Also, as I remember, try to suggest to the picture taker to move to another location or at least out of crowd or walkways.

I hope that helps alittle.

sparr
01-13-2007, 02:00 AM
I love taking candid shots. Fast react time is something I will be looking for in my next camera, to catch those funny moments. Poses are cool too, but both types of shot have different appeal.

As to variety... Best of all is to be in a group. Two people with 4 poses each gives you 16 unique combinations, some funnier than others. The strong man flexing is a completely different photo from the strong man flexing while being hit over the head with a hammer by the pretty girl :)

Danzikumaru
01-13-2007, 02:57 AM
I love taking candid shots. Fast react time is something I will be looking for in my next camera, to catch those funny moments. Poses are cool too, but both types of shot have different appeal.

As to variety... Best of all is to be in a group. Two people with 4 poses each gives you 16 unique combinations, some funnier than others. The strong man flexing is a completely different photo from the strong man flexing while being hit over the head with a hammer by the pretty girl :)

I feel you should know that most cosplayers hate candid photography and won't stop to chew you out about it, so I'd suggest parting from your love of it, at least when it comes to cosplayers.

bob1968m
01-13-2007, 11:33 AM
For most of the casual shooters, you'll probably have to be the one to make sure your bags are put aside, badge is hidden, wig is on right, that you have a decent background, etc. Might help to have a mirror to check your makeup and whatnot.

Cosplayers are there to enjoy the con activities as well, so it's not always convienent to take the time for proper photos, but we as photogs don't always know when that is. If the cosplayer makes it clear to me that they are not in a rush & willing to have a few shots taken, I relax and get better shots.

But in the end, people are going to take badly exposed, badly composed, and blurry pics and there isn't much you can do about them, no matter how good your poses are or how much time you take with them.

However, at any con there are usually several really good photogs who would probably be happy to do a more extended shoot or at the very least take a few more shots than the one or two that is typical. If you seek them out, you can concentrate on getting your good shots with them and not worry as much about all the casual shooters who just want quick pic to remember that so&so character was at the con.

Sipo
01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I know what you mean; I felt the same for a long time! However, I find it best that if you feel you are being rushed, etc. then be comfortable when someone asks you to pose. Don't feel like you have to be epic, no matter how epic the character. (Would they be making that epic pose in the hallway anyway?) Just have relaxed poses.

I found a few of me online in my Urahara cosplay that I adored that I don't remember taking (probably because I was rushed) that look pretty darned good. :) It's all because you need to feel natural! :D

I feel you should know that most cosplayers hate candid photography and won't stop to chew you out about it, so I'd suggest parting from your love of it, at least when it comes to cosplayers.

I disagree, and as a cosplayer. The thing about candid shots are: if they photograpger is good, they'll capture great candid photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/NoEvidence/PicturesOfOtherPeople/elisesnapshot.jpg
This is a snapshot I took of my friend, candidly, and she loves it! I have some candid photos that I've found online of my cosplay, and I love them (I can show you if you like, just for a example of good candid snapshots).

I think that when candid photos go bad is when someone catches them making a horrid face or doing something embarrassing and the photographer thinks its 'cute' or 'funny.' :/

sparr
01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I snapped this one in the elevator at Ohayocon, without even seeing her face ("oooh, pink hair! <snap>"). She found my gallery and posted that she likes the photo. Candid++.

mochi-snack
01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
always have poses ready before going to a con. if you don't want any candid shots, make the poses minimal. but lighting at a con is something that always bothers me, because what if you have a reflective piece (ex: mirror) on your costume? people get in the way when taking pics of your costume though, thats annoying. go outside, in-character shots always work then.

tfcreate
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
hope the photographers have enough sense to wait til you get ready before snapping your picture. I hate candid shots. I found more of me as Gungrave drinking from a water bottle than posing...

Part of the problem is also that some of the players are never ready. You ask and they act like you've just asked them for a limb no matter how politely you do so. Or they have a blank or indifferent expression during the shoot. Of course there's the tired, often over used "V" for victory sign. To them I apologize, then move on. They have every right to refuse. Rather than whining about being bothered or intentionally ruining the shot, a simple "no" would save alot of cosplayers and photogs the aggrivation.

TFC

Rose of Malice
01-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I dislike it when people take my picture without asking. I had this one person try to take a sneak shot of me at Sakura-con 2004 while I was waiting in line to meet Fred Gallagher (I used to be a huge Megatokyo fan); instead of getting angry when I saw her out of the corner of my eye, I just turned to my left so she would get a better picture of me with my teddy bear in hand.

It may be annoying when someone takes candid shots or pictures without asking you first, but it's also annoying and rude to be mean about it. Take it as a compliment that someone wants to take your picture.

sparr
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
It doesn't bother me if people turn away when I try to take a candid photo. I can take a hint. But considering how well they can turn out, and that some cosplayers like, or at least dont mind, them... you can't really fault us for trying.

BluemoonAngel07
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey! If I'm cosplaying and look good..i don't care! candid away..I love taking pics and I love people to take mine! so If you catch me at any of my future Anime cons feel free to take a pic that you think looks some what cute! Maybe I can get a nice group photo!

~desi~

Kanira
01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I noticed alot of candid pictures, and video taping, happening at my cons this year than those prior; my instinctive reaction was to insta-pose, or at least smile and/or wave when appropriate, and it seems to have worked so far.
It's doubtless more complicated sometimes to have to walk across a bustling hall to interrupt someone and ask for their picture, rather than just attack without warning--all depends on what you're going for.
Personally I think it's fun to find a picture I don't remember posing for, or can't recall exactly when or where it was taken :>

Danzikumaru
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM

Hey, believe me or don't I don't care. Check out the Cosplay Pet Peeves thread in the General section and see how many people hate candid photography. You'd be amazed. I personally deal with candid photographers in an aggressive manner. The quicker I gain a reputation for not wanting candid photos of me, the better. So, if you see me at a con, do ask. If not, you'll make me angry. And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Sala
01-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I guess it really boils down to discretion. I don't mind candid photographs...as well as they're actually nice photos. Every photographer should be mindful of the images they upload. If you have taken a candid shot that looks absolutely awful, please don't post it for the world to see. The cosplayer will *not* thank you. But if it is a truly excellent shot, go for it!

I suppose nothing irritates me more than folks who label themselves as a "photographer" and then simply upload every friggin' picture they took, with little or no regard to the quality of the images. With regular con-goers I don't mind nearly so much. And most people are very nice if you ask them to remove an image of you from their site.

staereo
01-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I need to agree with Danzi here.

I shoot with a photojournalist style that begs for spontaneous captures and candid shots, BUT I have read about a BILLION posts from cosplayers on THIS very website from cosplayers that *HATE* getting candid snaps taken.

On the other hand, very rarely to I read people mad because someone DIDNT shoot candidly, and instead asked for the opportunity to capture an image.

SO, the fact is, its safer to sacrifice the great shot and secure the good reputation of a polite photographer that can gain trust.

Sure, in my other work I'll aim for candids, shoot now, ask after. It captures the moment. Then you can decide if its ok to keep it.

BUT, in cosplay, the topic has been dragged through the mud, and the dead horse HAS been beaten. It is undeniable that more cosplayers prefer being asked/given prep time before a shot, than like a camera snapped without warning.

Not really as much my style, but when in Rome, do the polite thing. Reputation > Snapping that moment in cosplay. Eventually you will offend someone, and I'd prefer to avoid the offense when possible.

NOW, if someones in my studio, at a con or otherwise, and they are in front of the camera... well.. now candid snaps between poses is complete fair game. And it works.

Bruce

Danzikumaru
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Honestly, a shot can be candid AND asked for. If you see a group having a discussion and ejoying themselves and what not, you can ask "Don't pose or anything, but can I get a picture of you guys as you are? Just pretend I'm not here" You will almost always get a yes. That's the sort of "capture the moment" photography people will rarely ever mind.

Av4rice
01-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Honestly, a shot can be candid AND asked for. If you see a group having a discussion and ejoying themselves and what not, you can ask "Don't pose or anything, but can I get a picture of you guys as you are? Just pretend I'm not here" You will almost always get a yes. That's the sort of "capture the moment" photography people will rarely ever mind.

But is it truly candid if the subject is on notice? One of the best ways to make someone conscious of something is to tell them to not think about it--one of the quirks of human psychology.

I've experimented with asking cosplayers to simply not pose. Most of them simply weren't sure what to do as an alternative. Nobody thinks about standing around "regular" which makes consciously doing it that much harder. What I kept getting was an awkward trying-to-be-normal-but-I-know-I'm-under-the-gun pose instead. Even when shooting an individual model (non-cosplay) where I direct every pose, there's pretty much no way I can successfully tell the model to "pose normal". I seriously have to wait for him/her to let down their guard between "real" poses before I can ever get anything like that. It's like an invisible veil that's impossible to lift artificially.

So I don't think asking permission beforehand is really a good solution here (as much as we wish that it could be), unless you think it would be acceptable to get permission afterwards, which is an interesting thought. Perhaps showing your subject exactly what you took after you took it and getting their OK on possibly using it later?

I personally just shoot continuously: candids, posed, whatever comes up as it comes up. I feel that there really is something that can be captured in certain candids that you will never ever see in a well-prepared pose (which every other photographer in the area almost gets the same shot of anyway) which is an opportunity that really can't be passed up. That said, I don't take candids a whole lot because I don't often see a good opportunity for one--but when I do, I will shoot. Further, most of my candids end up getting deleted because such a thing is pretty elusive.

I think AnimeRei3 has the key here: selectivity. I'm not going to upload a picture where someone came out looking bad, be it posed or not. I'm not going to upload a candid unless it really shows something worthwhile. I'm not going to upload a candid unless I think the subject would also be happy about seeing it. Statistically, if I got you in a picture at a con, it's far more likely that you'll be deleted as opposed to uploaded. And honestly, I'd say most cosplayers look as good or better just standing around normally (being human, being themselves, being what have you) as opposed to posing.

I know a lot of you hate it, but whenever it happens, please keep in mind that a lot of us are seriously looking for something that even you can be proud of. And we won't throw it online simply because we took it. It's unfortunate that not everyone exercises the selectivity that AnimeRei3 was talking about.

Sipo
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
I have to agree that you can't just tell someone to "act natural." They know they're under the pressure.

I also would not be uploading photos that I know the subject would not be happy seeing.

I know a lot of you hate it, but whenever it happens, please keep in mind that a lot of us are seriously looking for something that even you can be proud of. And we won't throw it online simply because we took it. It's unfortunate that not everyone exercises the selectivity that AnimeRei3 was talking about.

VERY WELL SAID!

Chibi-Sama
02-09-2007, 11:50 PM
As a cosplayer, I think it's a great honor that somebody would even *want* to take my picture. I mean, why would you bother dressing up if you didn't want anyone to see you anyways? But I do understand that I wouldn't want any embarrassing pictures taken of me and uploaded to the internet. Especially since I cosplay serious people, and I am definatly *not* serious, I'm just about always out-of-character except when posing. But even if I'm acting stupid and a shot is taken, I wouldn't stress about it. If my picture's shown online, I'd just ask them to take it down.

Key thing in mind: there's always going to be a critic somewhere in the crowd, weither in public or online.

With that in mind, I'm not so worried about how I end up on camera. =3 I'm just thrilled to have someone think I've done a good enough job to take the picture!

But as a photographer, I understand the difference between poses and candid shots. I think the best solution is to take the perfect shot when offered. If you see a great sight, take the picture right away. THEN go ask that person if it's okay to take pictures of them. If they say no, delete the picture or simply keep it to yourself. At the last convention I was at, I took many candid shots but never uploaded them. I just wanted to show others the great fun of that conventions offer.

But if that person says, yes... You can either take more pictures of them posing, candid, whatever. Even show them what you already took to see if they like it. Who knows?
(Bad thing is, you may always find a touchy person who'll be upset with you for taking the picture before asking. If that's the case, I wouldn't take anymore pictures of that person.) But usually, cosplayers WANT their picture taken.

My first convention, I was too shy to ask people to take their pictures... So my brother dragged me up to the people and asked them for me. (I was so embarrassed!) All but one said that they would be happy to have their picture taken. And for the one who didn't say I could take the picture? He actually took me into a room so we would have a better background and pose. ^_^

So, fire away with the questions and shots!
(Just don't upload embarassing pictures. Keep the Golden Rule in mind, or else you'll find ugly pictures on yourself online. >>!! )