PDA

View Full Version : What makes you look at a photo?

Saturn Neko
01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I was wandering what make others look at you photos? Is it the setting of the pictoure, the charecter, the series, or how well the coustume is made? What chaches your eye?

I mainly look at the charecters and series I know, but I also find my self looking at soo many others. After that it makes me whant to know more anime. It's also nice to see serten coustumes in progress. I also fasinated how others could find the right backgrount/setting. I live in the dessert wich make it harder for nice backgrounds. I find it wanderful how others could get such lovley places.

CosplayerGabi
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
All of those play a factor in which pictures I click on.
I'll click on series I know of course. But I will click if I see some costume I don't know cause it's in some awesome setting. Or if there is a really detailed costume being worked on even if I don't know it.

The desert has really nice sunsets and neat outcroppings of rocks for pictures. You might be able to use those.

Kilane
01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Of course I'll look at it if I know the series, but I'll also click on it if something catches my eye. That could be anything; great costume, original photo idea, awesome backgrounds (forest, water, and church pictures are usually very pretty). I also love it when people do something original, so if there's a character I like and I see that someone's added a little bit of their own thing into it, I'll look at it.

Houki
01-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I first look for new and interesting poses and how the picture was taken. It needs to pop in the photo for me. I like to know who I am looking at but I try not to limit myself to just series I know.

sparr
01-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Honestly, two things make me look at a photo.

First, technical difficulty. I am mechanically minded, so I love poring over photos of costumes and props that appear quite difficult to assemble. The k-nex trigun gun-cross at Ohayocon (http://sparrsstuff.com/gallery2/v/Ohayocon_7/Costumes/img_2918.jpg.html) caught my eye, as did the various costumes integrating LED displays.

A close second, and I am not ashamed to admit it, are pretty / beautiful / hot / cute women (yes, those all mean different things). The same thing that would make me stop to look at an ad when flipping through a magazine will make me stop and take notice of your photo in a gallery.

sanjuan
01-18-2007, 11:35 PM
MMmmmmmm....
For me there are a few things:

Subject - Yes, I will admit that a pretty model catches the eye, but it also depends on how they compose themselves. If that person doesn't have any self-confidence in the particular cosplay, it shows. Sometimes I would see someone in something that is a tad too revealing but they look amazing in it, but they hunch over looking embarrassed which can kill it.

The costume plays a big role in it as well, if it looks stunningly well made then it is a winner in my books. That not only means actually resembling the character's clothing but also making sure that detail is not left out. Bad props or other accessories just make me go bleh.

Technicalities - This one is a tad more photography oriented. I love a photograph that plays with framing, lighting, symmetry, colour, the whole shebang! Some people like playing with the tradition -subject in centre staring straight at the camera- portrait shot but sometimes people like to take a whole new approach and how they carry that out attracts me to a shot.

Lighting is pretty important too; if the shot looks like it has been flushed out because of the flash or there is not enough light, it can really detract from the overall package. Sure there are sometimes when such effects would look great, but most of the time it is accidental and unwanted.

Ohhhhh and some people just love to toss in symmetry, lines and curves get to me just as easily as a ball of yarn gets to a cat! The background can really help add to a photograph and how one uses it can really rock my socks.

Colour is pretty important to me too, I hate to see costumes that have colours that are just completely flushed out or blindingly vibrant that it hurts. Anyone who plays with lighting and colour to achieve a certain effect and can pull it off gets a gold star in my books!

I could keep rambling on but to sum it all up....
A photo that really pulls me in is one that was well thought up. There are soo many factors that need to be taken into consideration when it comes to taking a photograph that it is really difficult to play with all of them while worrying about other things, but a shot that can really touch all the bases is what pulls me in!

Kuro Yue
01-19-2007, 10:11 AM
The first thing I factor in when I'm looking for pics is if they're of a character/series I like. The second factor is the quality of the shots, because that can often turn a great costume into a mediocre one. The third factor is the costume itself, starting with the wig and then whether or not shinyness was used inappropriately.

As well, a kick-arse pose and background help, too.

Leadmill
01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I find I appreciate costumes I recognize, because its difficult of me to judge a costume of something i've never seen as I have nothing to compare it to!

folkeye
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
First thing for me is definately if I know the character or not. Having an interest in a character I like is a drive to look. Second, if the composition is interesting I'll go in and take a look :)

arrowchild
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Obviously, like everyone else, I'm drawn to characters and series I'm familiar with. However, I'm a big fan of interesting composition, lighting and color, of photographs that could easily stand alone as a piece of art in as well as outside of the cosplay community. I often look at pics of characters I've never even heard of because I'm fascinated by the beauty of the photo.

I'm also a sucker for 'in character' shots. I find nothing particularly intriguing about a hallway convention shot of a cosplayer flashing the imfamous 'V', no matter how goreous the costume or the cosplayer is. I much rather look at a cosplayer who is genuinely trying to be in character.

Tsuiren
01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
The first thing that makes me look at a photo would have to be the picture quality and clearness. Perhaps it's the fact that everything looks well, crisper and not blurred out.. this is a reason why I prefer professional photography. xDDD

Secondly would HAVE to be the character/series. If I see a really good costume, then my goodness, I WILl click on it. It's the same with people that look just like the actual character, that's huge. It just amazes me.

Brightness is a plus too. x_x I don't want any dark webcam/dark room photos to look at; I can't see how good the costume truly is.

Winry
01-27-2007, 12:09 AM
The first thing that makes me look at a photo would have to be the picture quality and clearness. Perhaps it's the fact that everything looks well, crisper and not blurred out.. this is a reason why I prefer professional photography. xDDD

Secondly would HAVE to be the character/series. If I see a really good costume, then my goodness, I WILl click on it. It's the same with people that look just like the actual character, that's huge. It just amazes me.

Brightness is a plus too. x_x I don't want any dark webcam/dark room photos to look at; I can't see how good the costume truly is.

I agree, those are all the qualities I tend look for too. Especially if it's a character I really like.

pedicuregirl
01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
i like to look at what kind of story the photograph tells.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/mikedecentx/Picture24.png

Saturn Neko
01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
All of those play a factor in which pictures I click on.

The desert has really nice sunsets and neat outcroppings of rocks for pictures. You might be able to use those.

Thanks for the idea I'll defently try that out.

MMmmmmmm....
For me there are a few things:

Technicalities - This one is a tad more photography oriented. I love a photograph that plays with framing, lighting, symmetry, colour, the whole shebang! Some people like playing with the tradition -subject in centre staring straight at the camera- portrait shot but sometimes people like to take a whole new approach and how they carry that out attracts me to a shot.

Lighting is pretty important too; if the shot looks like it has been flushed out because of the flash or there is not enough light, it can really detract from the overall package. Sure there are sometimes when such effects would look great, but most of the time it is accidental and unwanted.

I have to agree. I'm trying to work on that with my own pictors... Can't wate antel the spring comes so I can expriment. I can't stand the pictors i've took that are too dark or bright.

I'm planing on being a photagraher and even a fasion designer. I've just finished my first somester in Photagraphy. (unforsently he's not teaching it this summester)

Faust-ni-gami
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
its relevancy to what i am searching for and how it looks. those are my main reasons for viewing photos in the first place. if you've got a nice-looking photo, i'll look at it and compliment. that's how i work when it comes to photos.

Hasu
01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Recognizing a character or costume is an obvious one, but I often ignore costumes I recognize if I've see them a lot, e.g, I wouldn't click on every Cloud I saw because by now I KNOW what he looks like regardless. So for me, a great costume that looks acurate is going to get a view, but a normal run-of-the-mill overdone character won't.

I do click re-enactment photos that are good. When the scene looks plausible and it does the characters justice I'll look at it. Nostalgia and all. ;)

Unfortunately, an exceptionally pretty 'WTH-is-that-person-a-model' face will get me to click a picture. I, like everyone else, am curious about these things. I don't normally comment those, because it is in fact just another person, but it does help in getting me to look.

I will without exception look at historical/ traditional costumes. A really good kimono, samurai, Elizabethan garb, hanbok- you name it, I'll click on it. It might be my inner costumer coming out, but since that stuff is sort of rare and I think it needs more love, I always look at it. And it normally doesn't disappoint me.

Another (and rather sad) factor is a name. If I recognize the name of the person posting I'll click just to see what they're up to.

Characters I've done usually get views. I want to compare myself to other people and ask myself if they did better than I did, and if they did how I can improve. (<<< is a horrible person)

Lastly, the photograph itself. If it's blurry or really small or looks like its been photoshopped a lot, I won't give it a second glance. I tend to overlook pictures taken in a messy living room unless it's a progress shot. If the photo has good architecture or location, if it's clear and the colors are good, if the subject is well-posed and the photo looks serious and it's obvious someone put thought and effort into it, then I'll click it.

Basically, I click good and interesting photos and tend to overlook those that aren't particularly interesting. If it looks like I've seen it before, chances are it's not going to excite me. -_- Sorry, but that's how it is.

Panda-chan
01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
I have to agree with what others have stated: Characters I recognize, great composition, interesting settings, good photo quality...etc.

I also love to look at pictures with costume with miles of lush fabric. Fancy things-worn-about-the-head also catch my eye. That could be an amazing wig or fancy hat...plummage. Larger-than-life costumes have that effect as well. I also look at friends pictures and keep up with those "in progress" items.

Pictures that don't appeal to me are those taken ala MySpace. Those pictures taken on a web cam. Blurry pictures taken in bathrooms or with a messy room in the background that distracts from the costume itself. I find when I look at those I start to look at the things in the background instead of the foreground. "What manga/toys/DVDs are on the shelves?" or "What shampoo bottle is that in the tub?" instead of "The attention to detail on that costume is stellar!" I suppose you can chalk that up to there being too much stuff competing for my attention in the photo.

I guess what it comes down to in the end, for me to look at a photo, is if the photograph compliments the subject.

Sipo
01-30-2007, 01:08 AM
OFF TOPIC: Y halo thar Panda-chan! Long time no chat! :D

I have yet to post what makes me want to look at a photo, so here goes:

Composition and lighting: When I see a well composed photo with a pretty or blurred background, I get all fuzzy inside. I like night-shots too, so long as they're not TOO noisy.

Characters: Even if the photo is taken in an industrial area or such, I will still look at the photo if it seems to suit the cosplay. I also will look at photos no matter what if they're characters I love and recognize, even if they are myspace/webcam photos.

BUT I DISLIKE!: Myspace/webcam photos. I don't find myself distracted so much as bothered. I mean, save it for myspace. I also dislike it when people post tons of photos of themselves out of cosplay in their non-cosplay gallery, and we never see them again.

One last thing: Photographers on cosplay.com that I like all kinda have unique little looks to them that make me look and say, "That looks like EuroBeatKing's!" or ZiggyB, Asian School Boy, or Kyle Johnson. (Maybe I couldn't pin-point every photo to every photographer, but there are certain ones that really stand out.)

Emo Pocky
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I only like costumes if they're accurate to the series. When I see a Haruno Sakura outfit with all these patterns on it, such as polka-dots and such, I don't even bother. I also like lighting, for some reason- But, really. I don't care about appearances, mainly because I'm not one to talk.

I love cosplays, mainly because it's so very fun to scan through and compare my own outfits to others.

london2191
01-30-2007, 06:43 PM
The topic of this board should be 'What doesn't make you look at a camera'. You want to know the things people don't want to see.

I always turn from large out-of-character pictures. Try not to crowd so many people into a shot unless the photographer knows how. Also, I like to look at the pictures where the characters are in character. Very nostalgic. =)

And the lighting is a big must; if you're in a dark room, sometimes people don't see what's going on in the picture and don't look at it even when it's a really good one. Setting too. Don't take your cosplay pictures in the parking lot of Chili's.

I have this weird thing that when I'm driving around, I look at nearly everything to see if it's a suitable setting for a cosplay shoot. It's really geeky, but I do it anyway.

tfcreate
01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Composition and Lighting. The subject is almost an afterthought.
A tin of beans can be more compelling than a Devil May Cry cosplayer if the photographer is on his game.
TFC

Summoner-Yuna
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I look at the background, I try to see what they chose, ( like if they are in the woods, city, a grassfield.) And then I move to the character to see if that character belongs in that type of background. Sometimes some characters don't belong to certain backgrounds.

Iloveknives
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
When I look at a picture I look at them not just the costume. I love taking pictures of people who seem not to have there pictures taken. another is the backdrop. I like when it fits the costume personalilty.

Usachan
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
When I look at a photo I look back on the memories that each photograph
holds and the memories of the area or person(s) I've met. Truly special moment.

Raiji Magiwind
02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
For me there are many factors....

Technicalities of the Photographer- The overall feel of the shot. Is there enough light? It the pic not blurry (unless the photographer intentialy does so by photo manipulating it on the computer)? Also does the person taking the picture try to capture the 'spirit' of the character and the person cosplaying them? I am more likely to click on a picture of a group of characters doing something interesting, like a mock battle between rival characters then the two of them standing side by side, kinda lifeless.

Technicalities of the Cosplayer- Does the cosplayer seem to get into character? Do they seem to be enjoying themselves? How well the costume is made, as well as the props. Attention to detail. Do they study the mannerisms of the character they are portraying to make them knowledgeable to what would make a good pic if they pose for the camera. I would sooner probably look at a pic of Sasuke where he's doing something that defines the character so to speak then one of the character just standing there.

Other- Composition, Lighting, backdrop or scene. I will usually hit on characters I know more often, but when I see a good picture of a character I may have not seen of heard of for a while, I will click it to see it better. Setting of time. If it taken in the day or the evening. I don't like shots that are TOO busy, but some action is fine, though if youe happen to get a shot of something in motion, then please god have a lens that works well for that type or adjust the shutter speed at least. I find that I am drawn to some photographers shots easier then others, because I have either been photographed by them or have come to know them and there work.

Yo-Yo
02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Character. Sometimes if I don't like the costume, I regret looking. xD
I say lighting and possible text make me love it no matter how weird it looks, but the costume really makes me search for the picture again. There was one Rhyth I loved so much I looked at it all the time.. ButI could never wear vinyl or bowls over my boobs. xD

I say lighting and costume quality, mostly.

Venus Knight
02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I look at favorite characters or costumes that are original and eye catching. If someone did one costume really well, sometimes I'll look at the rest of their album.

Wind Archer
02-13-2007, 12:13 AM
What really catches my eye...seems to be the angle, the lighting and the environment. I do as well also look for if the character is strongly portrayed...but sometimes, an amazingly well taken photograph without that element could slip past me pretty well. ^_^;

Hyuuga Tenten
02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Well one or the other of these two thoughts go through my head

1) What the heck are they doing?

or

2) Wow that looks cool.

chibi_sasuke_1
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
When it comes to cosplay, I am drawn to characters that I am familiar with. After all, if I don't know the character, how can I say how it compares to the real deal ^^;

Leadmill
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I have to agree with chibi_sasuke_1 on this one, I am more likely to view photos of characters I am familiar with. But if a photo does look very well done, or the person in the photo looks amazing then I will probably give a look too.