PDA

View Full Version : Question about weapon policy

sweetvenus
01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
This is going to be my first DragonCon and I've got a quick question before I start work on my costumes. What is the policy on bows and arrows? The weapons statement on the website is vague and doesn't mention anything about bows.

dagmarus
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
I think the bow needs to be loosely or NOT strung at all. And I don't think the arrows can have tips. Other than that, I think you're okay.

Marianne Solav
01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
A funny story about the weapons policy at D*C...
I was walking in the streets alone just before the Rebel Legion photoshoot a few streets from the convention and got stopped by 2 policemen.

I was dressed exactly like that with the blaster in hand: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Battle%20outfit/dcon06fri-010.jpg

I was freaking out until one of them came to stand beside me and the other asked if he could take a picture with his cell phone! :toothy:

Fory-san
01-14-2007, 03:44 AM
A funny story about the weapons policy at D*C...
I was walking in the streets alone just before the Rebel Legion photoshoot a few streets from the convention and got stopped by 2 policemen.

I was dressed exactly like that with the blaster in hand: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Battle%20outfit/dcon06fri-010.jpg

I was freaking out until one of them came to stand beside me and the other asked if he could take a picture with his cell phone! :toothy:

lol That is awesome! I don't blame them because you did a great job on the costume. :::bows::: Actually, I found most of the police officers were pretty stoked about the whole con. I heard many stories of them getting pics with costumers and chatting it up with the fans. ^^

sweetvenus
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I sent an email to them asking for clarification and here's the response I got back in case anyone else was wondering.

To clarify and hopefully answer your question on having a Bow and Arrow at con I'll say this. Legally any weapon that can fire a projectile of ANY type is prohibited on the hotel premises. Being a costumer myself I understand how frustrating that can be. What I would accept in terms of a bow and arrow are this. If the string is slack to the point that no arrow could be effectively launched from the bow I'll approve it. Also the arrows MUST have a blunt cushioned tip.

Brittany Bunny
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
D*C is really more relaxed on their weapon/prop policy than pretty much any anime convention. I'm guessing because the vast majority of their attendees are older? And by that I don't mean old (I go! :P ), just...most of them aren't in middleschool-highschool...or maybe because D*C isn't labeled "family friendly"? Whatever the reason, it's just one of them many reasons why I love D*C soooo much. :)

london2191
02-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, they are because it's mostly alotta sci-fi. And they have big-butt guns and crap. -snickers-

DalaiLiam
02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Just drop to the Lobby with all the Umbrella/Stargate/military/hellsing/whatever else I forgot troopers, and you'll see enough airsoft to make your head spin. I can't think of any other con that would allow this(save Gencon, go fig). I'm sure that serves as an illustration of how lax their policy is.

nachtinis
02-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Are you kidding, a weapons policy at dragoncon?
Ive seen everything there!

One time I saw a thread 2 years ago on their own forums about the weapons policy and one of the security ppl posted that if you have a gun it must not be loaded and all "metal" swords must be sheathed but can be drawn during the parade.

Ragresen
02-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Ok I spoke with a roommate who is 8 years Security for DragonCon and will do so agin for who knows how long.

Bows need to be stringless and any Arrows to be peace bonded into the quiver. This was the stance they held a few years back when a group did the Elven Archers from the Lord of the Rings Movies.

EXsoldierSNAKE
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Guys what kind of weapon props have you tried bringing into DC in the past? I'm just curious if I should keep the orange tips on my airsoft guns if I intend on bring them. I've got a pistol that I've immobilized with pvc cement to where the slide wont move anymore, but thats the only mod i've done to it. Is it enough?

ErinTheHalfABee
02-14-2007, 05:18 PM
D*C is pretty lax on weapons from what I have seen, although I would just air on the side of caution, just in case. Obviously, you don't want guns that actually fire anything, and probably no weapons with sharp tips. If it could possibly do damage, it's probably not a good idea to bring, as it's crowded anyways, and somebody might get mad if you accidently stab them in the butt.

That being said, my friend had a quiver last year that had strings (no arrows though) and she was fine. I also had a 9 ft. trident, and nobody from security said anything to me. So yeah. Pretty open.

Ragresen
02-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Keep the Orange things on Airsoft guns and be prepared to prove the guns does not operate any longer or can be assured it will not be fired. I have hasbro guns from the Stormtrooper with out orange tips, but they allways stay in the holster execpt for pictures.

EXsoldierSNAKE
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
eep, well bad news kinda. I dipped the gun in acetone because I was trying to get some old gunk off it, and it ate through the orange part, now its just black. I guess I can just get some blaze orange car paint and re paint it before the con

Ragresen
02-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Or Present it to the Con Security and they will ask you to attach a bring plastic ribbon it the gun to identify it as ok for the Con. If you do not just expect them to possibly ask you to do so. But as long as you are mindful of your use of it things should be ok.

TheDemon2300
02-28-2007, 01:54 AM
From what I've seen, the weapons policy is pretty simple:

For firearms, they need to be unloaded and inoperable (obviously), and a good tip is to peacebond it by using either a ziptie or some twine to tie the trigger back.

For swords or any other kind of sheathed blade, you simply need to use a ziptie or some twine to peacebond the blade inside the sheathe so that it cannot be drawn (easily).