PDA

View Full Version : Annoying young people....?

Ivory
01-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Well, me and my friend are going to be attending Sakura Con this year, and we're all sorts of excited for it. But the thing is that we're both within the 14-15 age range. I've heard all of these stories about obnoxious young people attending conventions and I wonder: would we be frowned upon for attending? Would it be awkward to have younger people attending it? I assure you, I'm not one of those people who are....how you say...attending for the fact that "OMGANIMEYAYAYAAA!" sort of....dealie. Rather, I'm very 'serious' ((a lightly taken serious)) about attending and just excited to meet with people who hold similar interests. But even if one who is 15 has that kind of attitude about attending a convention, would it still be awkward?

AND In the mean time, post some....crazy little....stories you have about young teenagers at a convention that you've met. Just to shake things up a bit XD

Much obliged.

Fory-san
01-14-2007, 01:41 AM
I assure you that people would definately not have a problem with you attending conventions in the least unless you are geared for causing trouble. I have experienced waaay too many bad incidents involving attendees younger than 18 years old, but as a con native, all one can do is forget them because usually all they're looking for is attention.

Otaking97
01-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Trust me. Your age is normal for cons. There will be hundreds if not thousands of other people the exact same age. So no matter if your crazy or hardcore no one will mind. Besides everyone was 15 once so they should not discrimate. Besides younger fans can be the most amusing. I know quite a few and they are hilarious to be around.

Ivory
01-14-2007, 02:00 AM
That makes me very happy and relieved to hear that ._. I was a little worried.

Thanksss!

Evil Bishounen
01-14-2007, 02:39 AM
No one will discriminate based on your age alone; only if you act like a little kid.

As long as you respect other people, it's all good, and no one will think twice about someone your age being there. I've met a few younger people at cons who were pretty cool. And as someone already said, there'll be lots of other people your age there anyway.

Here's a list of immature things to avoid doing. (These are all things that teenage girls have done to me, which have irritated or offended me):
- glomping a stranger without permission
- glomping a stranger from behind
- tackling another cosplayer
- harassing a cosplayer with yaoi/slashy/ronchy remarks, either about the cosplayer or the character they're dressed as
- asking 2 cosplayers to do yaoi crap together for a photo (even though both cosplayers are straight guys -_-)
- not stopping any of the above said actions when someone says to knock it off

If you're respectful of others and behave in a generally mature fashion, there's no reason why you wouldn't get along with practically everyone. :)

Fory-san
01-14-2007, 02:46 AM
If you're respectful of others and behave in a generally mature fashion, there's no reason why you wouldn't get along with practically everyone. :)

You forgot putting your foot into someone's back when their demonstrating Inu Yasha's "Sit boy!" routine (true story). X-x;

Evil Bishounen
01-14-2007, 02:54 AM
You forgot putting your foot into someone's back when their demonstrating Inu Yasha's "Sit boy!" routine (true story). X-x;
Heh, never had it happen to me considering I've never cosplayed as Inuyasha. But ugh -_- that's ridiculous. I probably would have gotten mean if someone did that to me unexpectedly >.>

That one would definitely fall into the same category as "no tackling"... People have personal space that should be respected.

MiSa0_mAkiMacHi
01-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Wow... people really do this? ^^;; Lol. I mean, I've seen some farfetched behavior at cons but, I dunno, maybe I'm just not around all that at those times. -shrugs- I've been to cons since I was 11 and I would have never DARED to do that. Mostly because the thought of randomly tackling a stranger is just not normal in my book. >.> I don't mind if nice strangers come and politely ask for hugs and start up a conversation with me though! :) They usually go from strangers to friends at that point.

Anyways, cons are just FULL of young people so don't worry. Like evilbishounen said, as long as you don't act like a little kid, you'll be just fine! ^.^

Fory-san
01-14-2007, 04:50 AM
Heh, never had it happen to me considering I've never cosplayed as Inuyasha. But ugh -_- that's ridiculous. I probably would have gotten mean if someone did that to me unexpectedly >.>

That one would definitely fall into the same category as "no tackling"... People have personal space that should be respected.

Here, here. I have enough problems with my back as it is. That certainly didn't help it. X-x;

AmazonMandy
01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't really think age is that much of a problem, just how you ACT. I've seen 25 year olds behaving at cons in a way that should get them knocked upside the heads. Just be nice, respectful, and have fun! You'll be fine!

Angathol
01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I've got to admit, I was a huge noob at my first con! I glomped a lot of people and acted like an idiot in general. But I smarted up by my second con.

I think a lot of younger teens get this "con high" and think that nothing they do will have consequences in a con environment. :/

Serria
01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I was fourteen at my first convention! ..or was it thirteen? I don't remember. But I was pretty shy and quiet, so I don't think I pissed anyone off. :P (except maybe the older guy who was badgering me for a stick of pocky)

But naw, no one will think bad of you unless you give them reason to. For all the obnoxious kids, I think there is an obnoxious "adult" - aka drunk, pervert, etc. My advice - don't bring drama to the con (15 year olds are notorious for that), don't glomp without permission, try not to squeal TOO loudly, and be mindful of the people around you. But the important thing is to have fun, so just enjoy yourself most of all. :)

mizuhaki
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
At my first con, I was too afraid to do any of those things. :X Maybe because I'm a naturally shy person. ^^; But after talking to some con-goers at my first convention, they said the screaming and the random tackles were perfectly normal. Well, I'll never lower myself to jumping strangers in public, I'm 16.
But this shouldn't stop you from having fun, so just keep your "con high" with in the con rules. :D

Alessa
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't find the younger people annoying, as long as they don't ACT annoying.
It just kinda upsets me when some of the newer fans are acting all OMG ANIME AI I'M ACTING AS IF I WAS AN ANIME CHARACTER ALL CHEERY AND CHILDISH AND BEING LOUD ALL THE TIME SO HEY PEOPLE LOOK AT MEEEE CAUSE I'M OTAKU!!

That SUCKS.

But older people can be just as annoying, but in a different way. It's all up to your behaviour. ^^

HyperrrMouse
01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
i'm totally going to agree with the comments about act mature, but still have fun. You can be zainy, crazy, happy and have a fun time without ruining the fun for others. Don't stress about how others percieve you too much though, since then you'll feel uptight and not have any fun.

And PLEASE be careful! 14ers and their parents seem to assume cons are closed, controlled and perfectly safe enviroments. And that quite frankly, peeves me more than anything else con-youth do. it's a VERY bad idea to be that young running about with the roudy types at 3am, first it's past curfew, second there's a reason why those people are recognized as roudy, and third it makes con-staff feel the need to babysit. Also a con-youth should never attend a con-party with alcohol, NEVER. Not even if they don't plan to drink, I've seen way too many 14-year-olds drunk, or faking, and it's really worrisome and depressing. Also that sort of enviroment isn't healthy or safe for a con-youth. I'm not trying to say cons are dangerous places, simply that you (regardless of age) must use common-sense.

Have FUN, be polite, and use common sense, just like with the rest of your life, and you'll be fine :)

Kuro Yue
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Perfectly safe. . .ha ha. . .

Anywho. I agree with the general concensus - don't act like an annoying kid, you won't get treated like an annoying kid. In the crowd that was waiting for the cosplay competition to start (it was seriously standing room only, and I was almost freaking out, because even though we had good spots in the blob, PEOPLE WERE GETTING TOO CLOSE (but thank God they had all showered. Thank God)), there were a couple of idiots who were pushing and shoving eachother playfully. And the person getting shoved managed to jostle the entire blob, causing many, many looks of digust.

Usachan
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
For one I'm jealous, I got into anime at that age and two I wish I could had
started going to anime conventions at that age. Anyway just remember to
have a good time at the convention, be polite, and try not to spend all
your money on the first day of the convention. Maybe I'll see you there. :)

Ivory
01-14-2007, 11:58 AM
@evilbishounen :: Oh my god, now I feel horrible for all of those poor people who were harrased for their character they dressed as and all the yaoi things they have been requested for ._. I"m not opposed to yaoi, but that"s ridiculous.

As for the whole glomping thing, we"d be too shy to do that XD

@Alessa :: People act like that at school. XD

@Hyperrrmouse :: Yeah, we probably won"t be staying that long, past curfew and whatnot. Thanks for the warnings.

@Usachan :: I"ll be looking out for you! ((love Sailor Moon))

Well this thread is coming back with alot more positive feedback than expected XD thanks a ton, thanks a ton.

Alessa
01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
@Alessa :: People act like that at school. XD

Oh GEEZ... >_<

because of people like that my older brother doesn't go to conventions anymore. He's been at one but because of the people I mentioned above he doesn't want to go there anymore... he said that's just way too much for him to deal with (he's been 27 back then).

Ivory
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh GEEZ... >_<

because of people like that my older brother doesn't go to conventions anymore. He's been at one but because of the people I mentioned above he doesn't want to go there anymore... he said that's just way too much for him to deal with (he's been 27 back then).

Yes ._. I know where he's coming from on that one. It's the reason why I don't want to join Japanese class/club either: they THRIVE in those classes. Much sympathies to your brother, many, many sympathies.

Alessa
01-14-2007, 12:11 PM
yeah, the "I am an Otaku so I have to be loud and get everyone's attention no matter if I get on their nerves and aside from that I just love everything that comes from or has to do with Japan so I will eat sushi whenever someone sees me eating so they think oh-wow-what-a-big-and-true-japan-fan even though I'd love to puke whenever I see sushi but I won't tell anyone cause I am an Otaku and I wouldn't be an Otaku if I wouldn't act like a 5 years old girl on dope so I will continue being all loud and hyper blah blah aint' I cuuute??"

ARGH!

Ohki
01-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Everyone's pretty much said it. Don't act like a 6 year old, and you're good.

Mesoian
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
AS with many things, as long as you act right, you'll be fine.

The people who we complain about are the idiotic young people who think it's gonna be a good idea to act an ass for 72 hours around very large groups of people.

I'm lookin' at you pervertMiroku.

Act civil and no one will have a problem with you.

Starless
01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm generally pretty low-key and also old enough to be complaining about you damn kids running all over my front lawn while I smoke a pipe on the porch. Well, not quite that old, but college-age feels old when compared to a lot of con attendees.

But yeah, as long as you don't scream and jump around wildly swinging your wooden sword, I really don't mind.

Kakashi101
01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I rather in enjoy the young cosplayers who don't act like dushbags XD
My last con had a seven year old Ino from Naruto and she was perfect! She hung out with the 16 year old Shikamaru, Sasuke, and Sakura. She was so cute cause she kept sticking her tounge out at Sakura, and sighing over Sasuke. She was so funny to watch.

Starlit Rose
01-14-2007, 01:59 PM
As mentioned above dozens of times, it's not your age, but your behavior. And it's not just with fellow con attendees, but also with EVERYONE around you. This includes HOTEL/CONVENTION CENTER STAFF as well as possible attendees of a separate con (I've been to several conventions that had a second convention running at the same time, like a religious convention), and also just the non-con people that just happen to be staying at the same hotel. PLEASE help leave a good impression on these people. x_x I've been to several cons where there are stupid kids AND adults that decide that they can do whatever they please and think it would be fun to tear up the building (punching holes in walls, throwing stuff around and hitting stuff, STUPID things). It's nice to respect anyone and everyone there, especially people working at the hotel/convention center because they're letting you use their buildings! I always fear the day when certain cons are asked (forced?) to move to a different location because the behavior of con-goers had gotten them the boot.

Oh yeah, and PLEASE don't ride the elevators. >>; Elevators are extremely hard to get on at most cons I've been to, and it's a pain when there are people that think it would be fun to just ride them or hit all of the floor buttons. *twitch*

havokgrl
01-14-2007, 02:09 PM
No one will discriminate based on your age alone; only if you act like a little kid.

As long as you respect other people, it's all good, and no one will think twice about someone your age being there. I've met a few younger people at cons who were pretty cool. And as someone already said, there'll be lots of other people your age there anyway.

Here's a list of immature things to avoid doing. (These are all things that teenage girls have done to me, which have irritated or offended me):
- harassing a cosplayer with yaoi/slashy/ronchy remarks, either about the cosplayer or the character they're dressed as
- asking 2 cosplayers to do yaoi crap together for a photo (even though both cosplayers are straight guys -_-)
- not stopping any of the above said actions when someone says to knock it off

YES, everyone should follow those "suggestions".
My Fiancee had a bad experience with a Glomper. We went to Metrocon and It took 2 hours to put his Costume and as soon as we entered the dealers room, a young girl glomped him from the side a broke off a piece of his armor.
Needless to say my fiancee was not a happy camper. We had to head back to our hotel room so he could fix it and he wouldnt wear it for the rest of the day.
Its just polite to ask before glomping and be gentle.

This is him in his costume:http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/Havokgrl85/707563.jpg

lunaladyoflight
01-14-2007, 02:11 PM
You should consider it a luxury to be able to go to a Con at your age. My parents are totally against Anime and cosplay. I was never allowed to go to a y cons. I'm 19 and still a Con-virgin. I'm going to my first ones this year with my Cosplay groups. Now that I'm older I have to finance this stuff myself. I don't know about you but it would have been wonderful for my parents to have paid for cons and accepted stuff I liked.

I know you probably won't do this, but stop people from pressing EVERY BUTTON on the elevator. It drives EVERYONE crazy. People do it at my University and we always get pissed when we're stuck on the elevator.

Also stay away from the late night parties. I do that as an adult simply because it's not my kind of enviroment. You can save that for college. It's the best choice.

Also don't scream or talk too much. Hotels enviroments are always VERY DRY. Take lots of water and try to save your voice. Otherwise you won't have a voice to talk to friends with by Sunday. (I learned this from Dance conventions).

Have a great time!

~Luna

Gogglegirl
01-14-2007, 02:51 PM
The thing that annoys me at cons is the kids (oh geez...I'm not one of the kids anymore....i'm ollllddd...though not really...i'm 18....blah...) that think that they can say whatever they want cause they are in costume.

Like at Anime USA at the Naruto shoot. There was this kid...I swear he was like 10 and he was dressed as like kabuto or something. He was yelling stuff like "Konaha Sucks!" It was really annoying. A lot of the older portion of the shoot just gave him lots of death glares...myself inculded. I find it kind of Disrespectful to do stuff like that.

And I'm not saying that its only younger kids that do that, older people do it too. I just haven't run into any of them....yet. Just cause you're dressed as a character doesnt' mean you ARE that character.

MiSa0_mAkiMacHi
01-14-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah, the "I am an Otaku so I have to be loud and get everyone's attention no matter if I get on their nerves and aside from that I just love everything that comes from or has to do with Japan so I will eat sushi whenever someone sees me eating so they think oh-wow-what-a-big-and-true-japan-fan even though I'd love to puke whenever I see sushi but I won't tell anyone cause I am an Otaku and I wouldn't be an Otaku if I wouldn't act like a 5 years old girl on dope so I will continue being all loud and hyper blah blah aint' I cuuute??"

ARGH!

XD XD XD

Those people piss me off too.

~daisysakura~
01-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Well, I was 15 when I went to my first con and I had a great time. ^_^ (Well.. I'm technically still 15, but I'm turning 16 on the 23rd of this month). Just be sure to act mature and don't go overboard of the sugary energy stuffs (as seen in the pranks thread.. XD Yes, it can be funny, but other times, it's not good). You'll have a great time, don't worry! :p

Scortia
01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Mature teenagers can have fun at a con without annoying people. I'll give you an example of the sort of kids that bother me at cons:... running around, being noisy as hell, stereotypical "Narutards", and squeeing "YAOI!" while trying to bribe guys with Pocky to make out for a photo. Those I could string up by their pinkies. >_< But then, I'm 23 and I have friends I cosplay with who are still in high school... they act maturely while also having fun so there you have it. :P

Trajedy
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Most annoying thing that ever happened to me was at my frist con. I was 19, and I was dressed as Thief Rikku, and a little girl, about 13 or so, I guess? came up to me, stood there and stared for a moment. I gave her a wierd look, and then she reached out and tried to snap the yellow 'underwear' strap thing that Rikku has. I jumped back and yelled 'What the hell?' at her and she just said 'I always wanted to do this to a Rikku!' and continued to try until I managed to lose her in a crowd.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

Starless
01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Most annoying thing that ever happened to me was at my frist con. I was 19, and I was dressed as Thief Rikku, and a little girl, about 13 or so, I guess? came up to me, stood there and stared for a moment. I gave her a wierd look, and then she reached out and tried to snap the yellow 'underwear' strap thing that Rikku has. I jumped back and yelled 'What the hell?' at her and she just said 'I always wanted to do this to a Rikku!' and continued to try until I managed to lose her in a crowd.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

One reason why going to a con as a slightly obscure character is good: this won't happen, because the people who do recognize your costume generally won't be that immature.

Ivory
01-14-2007, 07:44 PM
You should consider it a luxury to be able to go to a Con at your age. My parents are totally against Anime and cosplay. I was never allowed to go to a y cons. I'm 19 and still a Con-virgin. I'm going to my first ones this year with my Cosplay groups. Now that I'm older I have to finance this stuff myself. I don't know about you but it would have been wonderful for my parents to have paid for cons and accepted stuff I liked.

I know you probably won't do this, but stop people from pressing EVERY BUTTON on the elevator. It drives EVERYONE crazy. People do it at my University and we always get pissed when we're stuck on the elevator.

Also stay away from the late night parties. I do that as an adult simply because it's not my kind of enviroment. You can save that for college. It's the best choice.

Also don't scream or talk too much. Hotels enviroments are always VERY DRY. Take lots of water and try to save your voice. Otherwise you won't have a voice to talk to friends with by Sunday. (I learned this from Dance conventions).

Have a great time!

~Luna

Actually, I'm paying for it on my own, as well as for my friend's pass in ((as a birthday present)). I would feel WAY too guilty to not. It's so expensive, it's crazy. Don't even have all the money for it yet. I intend on selling a game or two for entry.

*takes note not to ride elevators or attend con parties*

BetaNyu
01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 14, though I was 13 when I went to my first con. Everyone else's suggestions are perfect; it'd be redundant for me to restate them. XD

But. I do have to say one thing: don't be too shy. XD;; I know this sounds kind of stupid, but I'm a terribly shy person, and can't talk to people I don't know already very easily. When I went last year, if not for my friend that went with me, I wouldn't have talked to anyone. Just because we're young doesn't mean we don't have a place among congoers! We matter too! So don't think that everyone will think you're an annoying young person. I admit some will, based on previous experiences, but prove them wrong! So what I mean is, don't be afraid to interact with people. Everyone (well, I'm sort of assuming everyone ^^;; ) shares a common interst: anime, manga, and/or Japanese pop culture at a con. They're awesome places to connect with other people who share your interests.

And please don't constantly worry about what boys think. *heaves a sigh* I swear, Mandy (my friend who went with me) had her heart set on dancing with a mysterious, handsome stranger before the night was out. (This was at the Saturday night masquerade.) I was about to smack her. I told her to just have fun... and made her dance like a fool with me. It worked. :3

Whew, I'll just stop there. XD I sound like a total dork. :B

dustbunny
01-14-2007, 08:12 PM
my first con was when i was 14 and i was not frowned on i was loved
XDD
but i have known some really annoying younger people. but there always are one or two

Hyper_Phantom
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I was 15 when I attended my first con. I had no problem at all, because I behaved like a normal person does. Remember, just because you go to a con doesn't mean the rules of the world suddenly change or go away. It's no different being at a con, than it is at school or work. If you act annoying, you're going to annoy someone. If you're rude, someone's going to be offended. If you're nice and considerate, people will be nice and considerate back.(Except for the occasional a-hole.)

madamevasquez
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I was 13 at my first con. I've since gotten older, more jaded, and much more surly. BUT, I was also young, exhuberant kid once, AND I'd much rather be attacked by a flying glomp from one of you younguns than have a creepy 50 year old man try to caress my boots. *shivers*

just keep respect and personal space in mind. .. oh and for the love of god, do not block the hallways/stairs.

UsagiNoSenshi
01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
All you youngins should remeber to check with your cons to see if they allow young people without adult supervision. Big cons like Otakon require those under 18 to be accompanied by someone over 18 at all times. Some smaller cons just might have your parents sign a 'permision slip' for you.

Tigress
01-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Mostly the younger kids that cause problems are sheltered kids that don't get out much. Often the con is the first time they've been away from home and don't have someone telling them what to do and when to do it. So they go a little wild when confronted with all this freedom.

vampirate
01-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Ah, the squeeling fangirls/fanboys do annoy the heck out of me. If I get to a panel or some other such thing early it's really hard to wait patiently in line when I want to go wring their necks because they will not be quiet and stop acting like five year olds on a sugar rush. I'm personally thinking about Dragon*Con a few years ago when Jhonen Vasquez was a guest. His comics are very violent but then he did a cartoon for Nickelodeon and all of a sudden he had young squeely fans, young squeely fans who really should have been too young to be reading his comics, but they think it makes them cool and they must be all squeely about it. But then I did meet a couple of middle school aged kids waiting in his autograph line later and they were laid back and just as annoyed by the other kids as I was.

Then this might just be me, but I find the random usage of Japanese words kind of annoying. It's like throwing out the handful of Japanese words they know makes some people feel smarter/cooler/whatever. It's just kind of weird, and to me makes them seem even more like a silly American. And I just want to be able to understand what someone is saying. Some kids will assume that everyone knows the same handful of words that they do. But I have had people have to tell me the same thing three times before they'd figure out that I was not as otaku as them and they'd have to speak English to me.

And I know other people have talked about it, but please do not assume that just because you are at a con that it is some bubble of safety seperate from the real world. Really bad things can happen at cons too. Try to not ever go anywhere by yourself, especially in costume. I think some of the problems I have seen a cons have come from underage kids getting all excited and carried about about being away from home. It's not fun finding girls passed out in public bathroom stalls. And if someone asking for your picture is creeping you out you can turn them down.

Raezyn101
01-15-2007, 12:03 PM
First off..I'm sure this won't be a problem for you, but: Just because you are cosplaying as that person doesn't mean you have to be that person.
It's one of the most annoying things when the character is...well..One of the most annoying characters. Don't get me wrong..I love people who can stay in character, but make sure your character won't make people tear their hair out! ^.^

It's been said, but DON'T BE SHY. I think that's what I regret most. I'm extremely shy. If it wasn't for a group that pulled me into their group..I'm sure I wouldn't have been too apt to go to another. I was 13 at the time and walking around alone 'cause my parents decided to go sit down. Luckily they saw me and brought me in. I was able to warm up and enjoy the con the one day I was actually able to attend.

On the Yaoi subject. This is actually a question. I'm pretty mature for 13 and usually get compliments for it so know that I'd be mature about this, also, so I was wondering if seeing two characters together you like, would it be bad to say something along the lines, "If it doesn't offend you in any way at all, would you mind posing for a yaoi pic?" And make sure they understand you don't care if they say no?
I don't want to seem obnoxious, but I also wouldn't mind a simple Yaoi picture if they don't mind it. >.<;

Kagami-chan
01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I was 12 when I went to SakuraCon for the first time. >.> I was hyperactive and hugged everyone. I also proposed to someone and they said yes. That made me laugh.

But then I went to KumoriCon and had lots of Red Bull and I wasn't nearly as hyper.

Lukas Sanvien
01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I was fourteen when I went to my first con, cosplaying as Legato Bluesummers.

It's fun to clear out a room of Vash Cosplayers who are all older than you by walking into a room eating a hot dog and carrying a paper bag.

But as for what to do and how to act at your first con, it's not a really big deal. I worked Security at Sakura-Con last year, and these are the problems we had with newbies last year.

1. DO NOT block hallways/stairways/escalators/elevators/etc. The Convention Center is, above all else, a PUBLIC building. It houses restaurants, shops, and other useful amenities. The con is renting the center, just like any other meeting or activity. The center is open to the public all the time, and they will be walking around the con, pointing, taking pictures, and asking questions, which leads to my second point.

2. Be nice and friendly. To the public, the center, the other con-goers, the staff, EVERYONE. There are a LOT of people at the con, and they aren't all there for the same reason. Some are working, some are volunteering, some are passing through, and then you have people like us. The people who go to cons because they love what it means, and what it represents.

3. Aside from being nice, be POLITE. You want a picture of that AMAZING Vincent Valentine or Belldandy costume? Don't just run up and start snapping pics. Ask. More often than not, they'll be glad to pose for you. If not, they're either already doing something or they're planning for a costume change soon.

4. Most importantly, have fun. That's why cons exist. So we anime lovers can have our own few days of paradise.

Good luck, and have fun on your foray into con-hood!

folkeye
01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
My two cents worth. Your age is what you make it to be :) I agree that there are some quite abnoxious people out there and they come in all ages. The one that gets on my nerves the most and can add to the age range reputation are the incredibly late night hotel room gatherings that are LOUD. Lots of underage drinking which leads to trouble with security (I've had to call before when beer bottles from the room above mine where being thrown at cars from a balcony..That was pretty bad). Its people like that that give a bad rap... but mind you its not everybody and most people don't worry about age. Its a con, its fun, you get to dress up in silly costumes ^_^

Heat
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Damn everyone else seems to have gotten an early start my first con was Sakura and I was 16 XD...It was actually pretty lonely, my friend that was supposed to take me backed out so I had to go alone I even forgot my camera XO...I suppose it fit my cosplay which was Squall (FF8)...you know solitary and angsty...but whatever, this year I'm for sure taking photos and going a little out of character so I can talk to people...cause normally I'm really not the shy type...*shrug*...Best advice has already been given

1. Be polite
2. Don't be a super x-treme times fifty three.five hyperactive loud fangirl/boy
3. Bring a Camera!
4. Have fun it's what the Con is for ^_^

Barunesusa
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Honestly? Don't worry about it as long as you do what everyone suggested. I'm 15, it'll be my 3rd time at SC (4th convention), and I've never had an issue with ages at all.

Just beware that if people think you're older than you really are, you might be put in some uncomfortable situations. Despite my friend (14) and I (13) in 05, we ended up being invited to a beer party cause the guy thought we were over 21 despite the fact we stated that we were there with our mothers.

Also, it is a good idea to double check your badge. I somehow ended up getting the wrong printed badge and ended up for an adult badge rather than a minor badge. As I usually hang out with 16-18 year olds anyways, I had no problem with people mistaking me for being older. However, the yaoi con vender? He actually said "Oh, adult badge. Give me your ID and I will give you some hentai." Nevermind the fact he was creepy as it was, don't accept it. It could get the con in big trouble.

Just remember that it's still the real world out there. While I've been hit on occasionally outside the con, I actually get hit on more by guys in the convention. While most of them are fine, there are a few that really creeped me out, and it honestly didn't help that I had an adult badge. Just be sure to act polite, be friendly and outgoing, and always trust your instinct ^_^

Lukas Sanvien
01-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Also, it is a good idea to double check your badge. I somehow ended up getting the wrong printed badge and ended up for an adult badge rather than a minor badge. As I usually hang out with 16-18 year olds anyways, I had no problem with people mistaking me for being older. However, the yaoi con vender? He actually said "Oh, adult badge. Give me your ID and I will give you some hentai." Nevermind the fact he was creepy as it was, don't accept it. It could get the con in big trouble.

Barunesusa, you should feel honored. Last year was actually a new badge type, so there were a few mistakes. I believe that they have fixed it this year, so everyone should get the proper badges. And I believe that specific vendor was warned last year after a few complaints, but don't quote me on that.

Also, don't be afraid to ask staff about stuff. Last year, the con was really confusing because we had moved into a new venue, so all the old traditions had to be changed, both by the staff and the con-goers. This year, we know more about the limits we can go to in the Convention Center, so be sure that this year will be MUCH better than last year. The convention center isn't huge, but it is easy to lose track of what floor a certain event is on, so if you see a staff badge, don't be afraid to ask where something is, even if it is the bathrooms (Believe me, they drill it into every staff member!).

Kateko
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I've been to cons since I was 12 :3 I've never really felt out-of-place. There are a lot of teenagers there.

Basically, it doesn't matter how old you are. But if you're going to ACT immature, THAT'S the only problem. Basically, don't touch people without their permission, because
A) you might damage their costume
B) you might piss them off.

(Asking's fine, ne? :3)

That said, there's no reason not to tell someone if you like their costume~ Last year my friend got some love confessions shouted to her from a floor up while she was on the escalator, and it made her day xDD

Barunesusa
01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Barunesusa, you should feel honored. Last year was actually a new badge type, so there were a few mistakes. I believe that they have fixed it this year, so everyone should get the proper badges. And I believe that specific vendor was warned last year after a few complaints, but don't quote me on that.

No, I remember people telling me he got warned quite a few times for heckling, and I did hear that he gave two girls a yaoi paddle cause they made out oO;;; Don't quote me on that though. I do know he was warned though, and just the fact he offered the hentai freaked me out.

Lukas Sanvien
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
No, I remember people telling me he got warned quite a few times for heckling, and I did hear that he gave two girls a yaoi paddle cause they made out oO;;; Don't quote me on that though. I do know he was warned though, and just the fact he offered the hentai freaked me out.

I was talking warned as in "last one ever before we remove you from con-life as you know it" warned. They've had problems with him in the past, and I think it's finally getting to the staff.

Tigress
01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Also, if someone ever does anything that makes you uncomfortable, report it to staff immediately. Staff can't do anything if they don't know about it. After you report it, they'll handle it.

Proviso: It could be a misunderstanding or the person just never learned any manners or self-restraint, but that's not your concern. You paid money to be there just like they did, and you shouldn't allow them interfere with your good time or anyone else's. And if they honestly can't be in a public place without semi-stalking people and just being a general creep, then they just need to slither back to their parents' basement to download pictures of Sarah Michelle Geller.*

*If you can guess where that song lyric came from, I'll give you a cookie.

AznTranquility
01-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Dang, the opposite happens to me. People think I'm 4 years younger than what I actually am. At least 5 ppl this year thought I was a freshman for heavens sake! Maybe I should start looking older hahah
Make up!?

Gets annoying when they keep asking for ID ><

Anyhow, age does not necessarily constitute maturity. Gah, everything is freaking subjective ><

Panda-chan
01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I agree that age has very little to do with social etiqutte. From the drunk middle-ager to the hyperactive pre-teen I've seen people of all ages who seem to forget that they are in public and carry on like insane people. As long as you don't forget how to act in public then I don't think anyone will have problems with your age.

Raezyn101
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
This kind of makes me wonder; do you find it weird when people are with their parents?

Panda-chan
01-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't find it weird to see kids with their parents at a con. I'm a part of the "older" con goer group and many of my friends who have kids make cons a family event. They are there with the entire family. I think it's great to see families at cons enjoying the event together. :bigtu:

Kagami-chan
01-25-2007, 07:11 PM
They are there with the entire family. I think it's great to see families at cons enjoying the event together. :bigtu:

I agree! My first year, my parents wouldn't at least stay to look at the convention building or look at some of the costumes of the people outside. They kicked me out of the car and I had to call around for my guardian.

Raezyn101
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree! My first year, my parents wouldn't at least stay to look at the convention building or look at some of the costumes of the people outside. They kicked me out of the car and I had to call around for my guardian.

That stinks..My dad made comments on people...Like this one guy with a leash. It was cool, but he's like, "You better not be like them!"
-sigh-

My mom wants to come to this one...because she's gotten used to my obsession...
Plus she's used to me running around the house with my Syaoran cloak on saying I can fly(when I'm bored and have nothing to do)....and thinks costumes like the one described above are cool...(They are so not alike..which is probably why they are seperated and live in different states...^^; )
So yeah..Was just wondering. :]

Kagami-chan
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
That stinks..My dad made comments on people...Like this one guy with a leash. It was cool, but he's like, "You better not be like them!"
-sigh-

My mom wants to come to this one...because she's gotten used to my obsession...
Plus she's used to me running around the house with my Syaoran cloak on saying I can fly(when I'm bored and have nothing to do)....and thinks costumes like the one described above are cool...(They are so not alike..which is probably why they are seperated and live in different states...^^; )
So yeah..Was just wondering. :]

My parents anniversary present was me dragging them to Oregon for KumoriCon. They never got used to it out of the whole weekend. I guess it doesn't help that someone in our room collapsed and had to be sent to the hospital because they over heated playing DDR. ^^;; That made them really nervous.

Raezyn101
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
My parents anniversary present was me dragging them to Oregon for KumoriCon. They never got used to it out of the whole weekend. I guess it doesn't help that someone in our room collapsed and had to be sent to the hospital because they over heated playing DDR. ^^;; That made them really nervous.

Oh Snapple Caps.
Those DDR'ers...-shifty eyes- We got one in our mall recently..I spent around $40....^^;
And I needed that money for a cosplay...-dies-

I want to drag both my parents, even though they don't get along, because I want my dad to get used to them and my mom to have the pleasure to come to one. She acts like a kid...I'll probably be able to stuff her into a cosplay. That'd be fuuun.
She'll enjoy it, but my little sister might not as much...Maybe an hour and then get tired..She'll be shopping in town with my mom's friend or swimming at the hotel's pool.

Good luck to you on you 'quest to get parents to accept your Otaku self'!

RikoBurandetsu
01-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm seventeen, nearly eighteen, and I started going to cons last year. I wish I had started younger, too... I had a friend whose little sister (15) was the 'please-will-you-do-something-yaoi-for-me' type, and she drove me nuts. Don't be like that!

I think it's awesome when parents come along. I went on my own last year, and it was fun, but I think it'll be even cooler when my dad is there this year, since a) he has money, and b) he's dressing as Jiraiya, and I'm dressing as Sexy no Jutsu Naruto. It'll be a blast. My mom rocks, too; even though she won't come to the convention because she hates crowds, she's a great seamstress, so she's helped me with a lot of my costumes. My parents have gotten really accepting of my obsession.

I agree with what everyone else has said so far, and can't think of anything really to add. And, be careful if you're wearing a skimpy costume. I wore a very short dress as a 'persecon' (from Chobits) last year, and got asked for pictures by some rather creepy guys. Stay with a friend, if you can, and girls should consider getting a guy friend to come along and hang out with you, just because it'll look like you're less 'available' to creeps.

Nekko
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=RikoBurandetsu;1703181]
b) he's dressing as Jiraiya, and I'm dressing as Sexy no Jutsu Naruto. It'll be a blast.QUOTE]

I think that it's a great idea to have a guard in that costume. Lots of perverts go to cons just to put sexy cosplay pics on their sites...

AznTranquility
01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
So I frequent this forum to get a sense of what cosplaying conventions are like and the expected etiquette...
There seems to be a lot of contradictions, however.
Some people say that cons are a great and safe environment, yet they also warn you to go in groups...
I hear that people are really nice and friendly...yet I also hear that there are a lot of pervs or creeps.

Mindboggling.
I'll just go with a group to be on the safe side haha

Barunesusa
01-29-2007, 10:56 PM
So I frequent this forum to get a sense of what cosplaying conventions are like and the expected etiquette...
There seems to be a lot of contradictions, however.
Some people say that cons are a great and safe environment, yet they also warn you to go in groups...
I hear that people are really nice and friendly...yet I also hear that there are a lot of pervs or creeps.

Mindboggling.
I'll just go with a group to be on the safe side haha

It's like when you visit any place, really. Many places are safe and friendly, but you DO have to be careful for creeps anyways.

It's like when I went to Subway alone a while ago. Sure, Subway is a nice place and the workers there are nice. However, I got hit on very lewdly by a group of guys there. Does that mean all Subways aren't safe? Of course not. A convention has a general friendly atmosphere, but there are a few bad apples around like in any place.

Generally, it's also a lot more fun in a group too ^_^

RikoBurandetsu
01-30-2007, 12:22 AM
It's like when you visit any place, really. Many places are safe and friendly, but you DO have to be careful for creeps anyways.

It's like when I went to Subway alone a while ago. Sure, Subway is a nice place and the workers there are nice. However, I got hit on very lewdly by a group of guys there. Does that mean all Subways aren't safe? Of course not. A convention has a general friendly atmosphere, but there are a few bad apples around like in any place.

Generally, it's also a lot more fun in a group too ^_^

A great way to put it, Barunesusa. I think that about sums the idea up! -laughs- It's always smart to be on guard, even in an atmosphere that for the most part is safe and family-friendly.

DJCheezy
02-09-2007, 04:37 AM
I am 20 years old
If you wish to get to know me check out my signature

Raidenator4
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, me and my friend are going to be attending Sakura Con this year, and we're all sorts of excited for it. But the thing is that we're both within the 14-15 age range. I've heard all of these stories about obnoxious young people attending conventions and I wonder: would we be frowned upon for attending? Would it be awkward to have younger people attending it? I assure you, I'm not one of those people who are....how you say...attending for the fact that "OMGANIMEYAYAYAAA!" sort of....dealie. Rather, I'm very 'serious' ((a lightly taken serious)) about attending and just excited to meet with people who hold similar interests. But even if one who is 15 has that kind of attitude about attending a convention, would it still be awkward?

AND In the mean time, post some....crazy little....stories you have about young teenagers at a convention that you've met. Just to shake things up a bit XD

Much obliged.

Hopefully people won't be pointing, whispering/laughing at me and my friend O_O;; We're ten and this is our first convention, we're really excited and quite nervous. I'm not like "WEEEOMGILOVEYOUGIVEMEAPICTURE!!!", because I'm way too shy. And I wouldn't do that even if I wasn't shy. I'll most likely loosen up on the 2nd day of SakuraCon, but for the first I'll most likely be...
If asking for a photo; "Uh... Hi there! You've got a nice costume.. Um, would you mind taking a photo with me? ...Heh..."
If being asked for a photo: "Who, me? Really? S-sure!"
If being asked who I'm cosplaying/what I'm from: "Ah... Uh, I'm T.K.... From Digimon... Hehe."
If there's a Matt Ishida *Points to avatar*: "Oh my god... Uh, hey! Uh, mind getting a picture with *Cough* your little brother? *Cough cough, totally embarrassed*"

Apsara
02-21-2007, 09:59 AM
I can't stand the teenage and 30 something fanboys. The twenty-somethings seems to be more...hesitant?...about acting like creeps. But before and after that age range? Whoa, some could be the poster boy for the stereotypical Japanese-type otaku.

I'm 24 going 25 this year and I still look like I'm in my mid-teens so I get propositioned by kids in that age group all the time. At one point two years ago I even brought out my ID to show I wasn't kidding and, "No, I don't want to go get a drink with you and no I don't want you to sit that close to me just because my costume is Shihouin Yoruichi and she's the touchy/feely/mischievious type and you are dressed up as Ichigo. You're not even 17 yet. Go away, kid."

koibito813
02-24-2007, 08:54 PM
omy, do i have to say how insane it is to be an obsessing teen at a convention? everyone's a teen at anime conventions! they honestly don't care! they glomp, you glomp back, they scream 'yaoi!', you scream 'yaoi!', and they even volunteer to add you to their myspaces and ask you out sometimes! i love it with all my heart though and this year will be better since i'm actually cosplaying. :angel: hooray!

see, i'm just like you with my friends, too. even if the people not going to the con on the side streets stare at us and even call us weird, it doesn't matter. :toothy: it's great to be a teen. :)

cpardo
02-26-2007, 02:06 AM
I agree with what everyone is saying. Have fun at the convention. Don't cause trouble. Ask if you want to glomp, and ask for photos too. If there's a problem be it something inappropriate or whatever go to a staff member. I'm on Sakura Con staff, so come to me too! I'm not security but every staff member is supposed to help whatever their job is, and if not they'll direct you to the right person or location. Sakura Con is a family con so doing adult oriented kind of things if it's yaoi or something else is frowned upon.

Also Yaoi paddles are banned at Sakura Con, so you don't have to worry about that.

Smidge
03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow... people really do this? ^^;; Lol. I mean, I've seen some farfetched behavior at cons but, I dunno, maybe I'm just not around all that at those times. -shrugs- I've been to cons since I was 11 and I would have never DARED to do that. Mostly because the thought of randomly tackling a stranger is just not normal in my book. >.> I don't mind if nice strangers come and politely ask for hugs and start up a conversation with me though! :) They usually go from strangers to friends at that point.

Anyways, cons are just FULL of young people so don't worry. Like evilbishounen said, as long as you don't act like a little kid, you'll be just fine! ^.^

Why yes, some people do that. Some little kid in a random Akatsuki coat tackled me from the side while I was in Edea and I nearly backhanded him... I'm so grateful for those of us that look down on it.

Kunoichi Neko
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
If you are younger will you be accepted like everyone else? If you are not annoying of course.

Eurobeat King
03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
this thread's almost 3 years old.. why bring it back?

Please check the date of the last post. Usually old threads are best left that way.

Kunoichi Neko
03-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Oops sorry, I didn't notice.

JustinPrince
03-13-2010, 02:33 AM
at a convention i dressed as up Phantom Dark (this was many years ago) and I worked so flippin hard on the wings, creating a form, then glueing individual black feathers to it... and it got ruined because some overzelous little fangirl had to glomp me from behind yelling "Dark-sama!" it made me so angry... hence one of the reasons I hate glompin....

Tabby-chan
03-13-2010, 06:58 AM
its not that all 13-15 year olds are annoying or anything, its just that seems to be the most common age range for loud annoying con goers. like said many times before its all about how you act. i dont care if someone is 40, if they act annoying and loud then im going to think they are annoying and loud lol. but just have fun, people at conventions are all hyper in their own way, i just wouldnt go screamin in someones face and touching and glomping them without asking first, and only if they agree to what you are asking.

Sakura-con is a pretty good con and has a lot of nice people there by the way :)

i will be going this year too, im super excited lol...actually i should be working on my props rather than typing thisTT^TT ~off to work now lol

Demon1023
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
You wont be frowned upon because of your age. But there are kids who think of themselves as "purists of anime" and "the coolest kids in the con." even though they are seriously inexperienced, but dont worry, you'll have a blast :)

Raif-San
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Dude if someone glomps me as Jecht and breaks my pauldron, or sword, I would be pissed!

namida009
03-17-2010, 08:09 AM
I've only been to one con so far... Sac anime 2010... and everyone I met was basically polite, and asked before pictures (and, in the case of one, a small hug). And, they were all under... 17 or 16 maybe? I was 16, and had a birthday shortly after, so now I'm 17. My friends and I basically stayed in our own group and didn't bother anyone - and, while I did have a case where I "fangirled out/squeed" over a hetalia cosplayer, I asked for a picture first, and I did not glomp, touch, or harass the person in any way whatsoever.

So, being extremely repetetive, age doesn't really matter as long as you ACT mature.