PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bride Gowns

Kellie
08-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Okie Day...I'm in the process of trying to get things together for this Rose bride costume and I'm not sure sort of material I should use for the gown itself. My mom and I both decided since I'm hoping to wear it to Katsucon, to use some sort of satin and I've noticed that's what a lot of people seem to use. Also, does anyone have an suggestions for petticoats/crinilon(spelling) to put under the skirt part to make it poofy? I definitely want it poofy, but comfortable.

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Most bridal stores should carry crinolines if you don't want to hand-sew one. Check out e-bay too!

I reccomend not using baroque satin, it pulls and frays easily and spots when it gets wet.

Kellie
08-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Aa! Thanks for the info! We were going to use that sort of satin too. @_@ Hmm...must think of something new to use. :D Thanks!

arisuchan
08-16-2002, 09:18 PM
I don't know if this would help you or not, but my mine I used a hoop skirt to get the skirt to be full. Of course i just had one sitting around from my reenacting days, but it really worked nicely.

HaloNoir
08-16-2002, 09:54 PM
The upgrade from Baroque Satin that Jo-Ann Fabric stores carry is called Casa satin. The baroque is recommended for prom dresses whereas Casa is bridal gown material. The other nice thing about the Casa is that it is machine washable and baroque is dry-clean only. There is only about a $3 per yard price difference between them now since the price of Baroque was raised a couple months ago. Baroque also comes 44" wide and Casa is 58" wide.

ahh the joys of being a former Jo-Anns employee ;)

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 11:08 PM
*bows to the superior knowledge of satin*

Which character's dress are you planning on making?

Koumori
08-17-2002, 01:03 AM
Satin is fine for a Rose Bride, but be aware that it's tricky to sew, and it has a tendency to really show up any fitting/stitching errors. I made one once for a friend who was in another state, so I couldn't fit her exactly; I still don't like looking at the pictures of it because the satin makes the improper fit so glaringly obvious.

Bridal stores carry crinolines and hoop skirts.

Jibrille
08-17-2002, 09:24 AM
i never thought of the rosebride outfits as shiney, that and i like to avoid satin materials because of the flaw apearence level being so high... almost as high as the price. but anyway.. ^^;

hoop skirts are the grandest thing ever. but if you use one you dont want the rungs to show, so a slip for over the hoop skirt is a good thing. ^^
*has 3 hoop skirts*
*laughs nervously* i used to reenact... thats my story and i'm stickin to it... ^^;;;

oh. amd the other bonus to hoop skirts is the rungs are relatively resizeable, so you can shrink it down or shape it however you want to skirt to fall over the hoop.

Koumori
08-17-2002, 06:19 PM
That too - the rose bride outfits DON'T look shiny on screen. I made mine out of satin because that was what my model requested, and I think she requested it because that's what most cosplayers seem to use. Me, I hate the stuff. Learn from my sorry example.

I did get it cheap, though. That's something.

KuroBara
08-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Hmm...a matte dressy fabric would be the way to go. Rose Bride gowns made out of plain cotton just don't really look right. I wonder why most cosplayers make them shiny.

Tenshi
08-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Taffeta, or even double satin would look nice. (Double satin is matte and very soft -- I love it! It doesn't fray as much as regular satin) Shiny satin looks terrible in pictures ;_;.

Hikaruchan
08-19-2002, 02:44 PM
I originally used a hoop with my rosebride, but the rungs showed too much. Sometimes I wear the hoop with a crinoline over it and sometimes just use the crinoline. Pics with the different underthings are at
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/bna/m/j/mjwilson/kozue.html

I used a shiny satin, a friend of mine used a nonluster bridal satin for hers. Depends on your preference, I actually wanted a shiny look to this costume but she wanted a matte look for hers.

Hikaruchan
08-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Oh, one of the most interesting choices of materials I have seen for rosebride was the young girl that had the PVCish dress at AWA in 1999. That was unusual.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/8848/cutena1.jpg

KuroBara
08-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Wow! A Kozue dress, how pretty! I see what you mean about the hoops.

Himemiya
08-19-2002, 06:17 PM
If you're an accomplished sewer, or are getting the rosebride dress commissioned, I think satin always gives the costume a more formal look. If you're just making it to be in a group, or aren't that good with sewing yet, I'd stick to cotton stuffs. They always look clean and good and stuff.
PLEASE, and i beg you, PLEASE! When you make your rosebride dress, make sure the TEAL RUFFLE is not too long! measure twice and three times and then cut, or something, but a ruffle too long looks very very bad, and makes the skirt look shorter.

Koumori
08-23-2002, 09:28 AM
Unless you're wearing very heavy skirts, hoops do tend to show through. When I do historical costumes that require hoops, I always either put ruffles on my hoop skirt, wear an additional petticoat or two over it, or both... ruffles really help to smooth the line and help it lie nicely over the hoops so they don't show through. And they help add more volume.. which for a rose bride is always good.

scandia
08-25-2002, 04:55 AM
I am debating on whether to do a Rose Bride Juri dress. I have never seen it, so it would be pretty much an original creation. I dunno how to sew, so I would have to buy a full orange skirt and a shirt to turn into a vest.

Most unique material I have seen for a Rose Bride costume is pleather.

Himemiya
08-25-2002, 09:38 AM
Scandia, I think a Juri-bride would be *awesome* ^.^
Personally, I really want to see a Saionji-bride ^.~

Kellie
08-31-2002, 12:16 PM
:D Wow! Lots of helpful posts. ^^; Sorry for not getting back to anyone on this. @_@ I was moving into my apartment for school, so I've had zero time for anything. :D And for a previous question, I'm making a gown for Wakaba. Black rose duelist colors. Not sure what possessed me to do that, but yeah. That's what I'm doing. :D But thank you all very much!

KuroBara
09-02-2002, 01:51 AM
Oh wow! Wakaba? That is so awesome. Good luck with it. I've seen a Juri dress online, but never at a con. I think I would do Nanami or movie Juri as an Utena cosplay.

Yumeko
09-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Hmm, i have has some good experience with Winsor satin, but the only down side with it is that it is too heavy. But it doesn't fray like regular satin

diqitaldreams
09-16-2002, 12:13 PM
xO Kellie going to Katsucon?! ::cling:: :D If my costume is completed by then, you'll see me...dragging about 15 pounds of fabric and materials on me. >B

Kellie
10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
:D Hai! I'm going to katsucon! ^_^ Hopefully with two costumes if I can get them both done on time! Wakaba as a Rose Bride and Sumomo from Chobits! ^_^