PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

kalajessta
01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm from Ohio and there's not many cons around here in July. I was thinking of visiting a few of my Canadian friends during July and hitting up the Garden City Anime Festival. Is there a webpage for it? What is it like? Is it an actual con? And most importantly, would it be worth it to go?

AncientWanderer
01-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't have the URL bookmarked, but the "GCAF Updates" thread on here should have the link.

I suppose whether or not it would be worth it for you depends on how you like your cons. GCAF is fairly small. If you're into cons mostly for the dealers' room, then you may not enjoy it so much.

It's really more of a social gathering. It looks like there will be a lot more offered in terms of panels and such this year, but most of the popular activities are very hands-on and interactive. The dealers' room/artist alley might be a bit bigger as well, but I'm not sure on that.

My friend and I went, just the two of us, spoiled on big cons like CNA. Once we started opening up, though, we had a wicked time and ended up making some awesome con buddies :) If you're already in the area and have $10-15 to check it out for even just a day, I would definitely encourage it.

siead_lietrathu
01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
if you freinds live in the area, i would say yes. save yourself money on a hotel heh. but even if the con isnt that good, you can still hit up the local touristy areas like clifton hill. which is way to fun to do in cosplay.

Enk
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
you don't want to go to Clifton Hill. Trust me. It's overpriced for the crap that is offered. I work there. Everything is tacky, except maybe the SkyWheel.

siead_lietrathu
01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
you don't want to go to Clifton Hill. Trust me. It's overpriced for the crap that is offered. I work there. Everything is tacky, except maybe the SkyWheel.

*shrug* its not so bad. i go all the time just for the midway. then again, i go in winter because prices drop a bit.

Enk
01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
*shrug* its not so bad. i go all the time just for the midway. then again, i go in winter because prices drop a bit.

I work there. Prices don't really drop anymore because tourism has been down for the past couple of years. It's become really run down.

Enk
01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I just remembered. If you don't mind going out to Silvertown, the Great Wolf Lodge has amazing deals on their waterpark resort right now. It's not near Clifton Hill but it's pretty sweet there.