PDA

View Full Version : Really Obscure J-Rock Group

aachan
04-02-2003, 11:51 PM
I was peeping around to see if anyone had mentioned any other J-Rockers besides the usually names that are thrown around. But not yet. So I'm going to present some names that I know none of you have ever heard of before in your life, but I highly recommend, if you can find their cd's anywhere that is.

Okay, my all time favorite group which has been disbanded for awhile, but I love al.ni.co. Which the lead singer Show Wesugi came from my next favorite group Wands. Although Wands had gotten a second lead singer and lead gituarist, but anything with Show Wesugi was good.

And here's a name that I only heard of through watching the old fansub tapes of Ruroni Kenshin, the Piss Kids.

I have seached in vain for any information on the Piss Kids, but that last a really hot second cause I think Sony is denying their existance.

But I'm really interested in knowing about any other really really obscure J-Rockers. If you know any let me know.

Ja Matta

Aa-Chan

Umi
04-03-2003, 12:45 AM
I've heard of Wands! But to tell you the truth I only have one song of theirs. I think it's from Dragonball. ^.^ I watched RK through fansub tapes too but I don't remember Piss Kids o.O; Judging by their website (http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/pisskids/) they are pretty unheard of. So much so I actually found that their included in a video special called Japanarama offering some of the weirder things on Japanese television. (http://too-far-east.tripod.com/japanarama/id1.html)

I wouldn't call any of these bands obscure since they have had at least one Top 40 hit in Japan, but they're definately not names that are tossed around when talking about jrock.

175R - Had 'Sakura' and 'Freedom' as hits
Fanatic Crisis - 'Maybe true'
Penpals - 'Tell Me Why' was the ending theme for Berserk

And over on the "popular in Japan but I've never heard anyone mention them yet" list:

Janne Da Arc
Penicillin
SHAKA LABBITS
Sophia
Zi:Kill

Yui
04-03-2003, 01:24 AM
Mentioned where? I think I've tossed around Penicillin a few times around here. (I specifically remember talking about their cover of The Flame at least twice.) And wow, is JDA is quite exceptional; I know I've recommended Gaia already. And I kinda thought everyone already had D.N.A. by default...it's just one of those albums everybody has.
So yeah, the problem with not being visual kei, there's much less interaction for us over here who don't speak Japanese. But yeah, you did mention some staples there, some bands with quite solid music to offer. (Although I question the addition of Tell Me Why...er...Berserk tunes rather make me cringe, no matter how much I love the show. Except Forces.)

Hmm, but as long as we're giving some credit to the overlooked...how about Lapis Lazuli? Or deadman? Nobody ever talks about them, unforetunately.

Umi
04-03-2003, 01:35 AM
To tell you the truth I don't like "Tell Me Why" as much as some of their other songs but I don't know if those have ever been especially popular.

Yeah Janne Da Arc is... insanely popular and my bad on the Penicillin too. I don't really read the music forums all that much o.O;

aachan
04-03-2003, 01:56 AM
I actually have two songs by Penicillin, Venus and Double Love Shock. Venus is kinda cute, but Double Love Shock is really really good. It's still one of my favorite songs. What about this group called Pocket Biscuits. I have a compilation cd of 1997's most popular music and they sing this annoying song that I can't remember the name of right now. But I think they are kinda unheard of.

As for the Piss Kids, when my best friend comes back from California, I'll ask her to look over her RK tapes again. All I remember was the Piss Kids commerical came on usually after the Air Smash candy commericals. I think they were on the later RK episodes as part of the Sony Buy Me That Hour.

Sniff... Sniff... No one has ever heard of al.ni.co though.... How sad. Their music really kicks as... ahem.... kicks butt.

Aa-Chan

slightlysalted
04-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Really obscure? >> mine aren't _that_ obscure, but yeah...of my favorite, the lesser known are: VariableMessiah, Lilith, Baiser, Endorphines (Yukari and Mizuki of Baiser went off and created this band with 2 other people while the others created SwallowTail), and Jinkaku Radio......oh, and Nightmare.....

Some others i can't think of........uhm---this really doesn't count, but Moi dix Mois actually sound good ^^;;; (the vocalist DOES sound Gackt-ish!)

ambitiousmiyavi
04-13-2003, 01:15 AM
I havent seen these bands tossed around, but these are my fave lesser known bands----->nightmare, kagerou (are they lesser?), waive, moi dix mois (well not really lesser), shelly trip realize, sharurotto, +D'espairs Ray+ and chronosphere.
Miyavi is not really lesser but his kicks major ass.

When I cosplay the lesser known band members, people think I'm cosplaying someone from Dir en Grey or another known visual band. It saddens me sometimes...But this is cool that you guys know a lot of them.

Yui
04-17-2003, 07:36 PM
You know, when I cosplay Dir en Grey, people -still- don't necessarily know even that. A lot of people seem to think it's an original design...or worse, mistaken for something else. I have to say it's a j-rock cosplay almost apologetically.
But yeah, cosplaying from even more obscure bands is tough. It's one thing if people simply don't know and ask about it - I just don't like it when people assume they know what you are.

And hooray for Baiser (and later incarnations) ^_^

ambitiousmiyavi
04-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Yup i understand that one. Last time I cosplayed Dir en gey I heared ooh thats cool and when they were done taking the picture, they asked me who I was cosplaying or just assumed im someone from Malice Mizer (I love Malice Mizer by the way). It happens. I don't expect everyone to know who i am cosplaying, but maybe in the future more people will be more aware of jrock.

Wasn't there even a jrock convention in the works? I wonder if its still going on....

Another group El dorado and La'mule...really good. ^-^

mughi3
04-19-2003, 05:59 AM
LOL aachan i remember seeing adds for the piss kids.....i remember us joking about it because the add was on a yellow page in the magazine :crylaugh:

if you have seen any of my posts you would know i post about many different bands in japan. not neccisarily unknown in japan, but not well known outside of japan....such as the group in my sig. :D

JyuuSan
04-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Yui
Hmm, but as long as we're giving some credit to the overlooked...how about Lapis Lazuli? Or deadman? Nobody ever talks about them, unforetunately.

Sweet....you mentioned Lapis Lazuli!!:D I was finally able to purchase their Guilty Gear Vocal Album (which rocks if you don't mind the Engrish!) and I definitely like their sound! I found the Japanese version of their lyrics, but I haven't got around to romanizing the kanji as of yet. I hope to do "Dream Maker" for karaoke someday because it's a song that could really get the crowd hyped up!! :rockon:

Also, has anybody heard of Masha? I have "Toki no Nakade" (ED song for AD Police TV) by them and cannot find any lyrics, music, or info about the band anywhere!

accelagirl
04-23-2003, 01:54 PM
okay! *_* this is my specialty!!

go listen to:

Iris (i are official american advertiser XD)
Misty Ray (formerly Karma-Shenjing which was formerly Misty Ray)
Emotional Hi-Jacking (also called EmoHi, more of a popish rock..)
the mad capsule markets
THE BACK HORN (they're not really obscure at all in japan, BUT PEOPLE NEED TO LISTEN TO THEM HERE!!)
baroque (yeah, matina types.. SO AWESOME though)
devil kitty

and more but the bell rang and now i have to go~!! *_*

Oburi_Shima
06-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by accelagirl

the mad capsule markets

Mad Capsule owns you all:bigtu:

Babbit_Chan
06-23-2003, 04:31 PM
I think the only really obscure group I listen to is Aioria, and they already broke up .*sob*

Kaede
06-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Others I like are Noir Fleurir, Kagrra, Raphael, Aioria (like MM), Onmyo-za, Dasein...

Mara
06-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Two groups I like that are less noticed are PaniCrew and Rip Slyme. And Rag Fair and INSPi, but I think they have been mentioned once or twice on the boards.

Kaede
06-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Ah Rag Fair. I've only heard 2 of their songs (Asatte wa Sunday and Kaerimichi) but from what I've heard I like.

ryuichi fangirl
06-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Nightmare, Kagrra, kagerou, Velvet Eden, Penicillin....ummm...I know a few others but the names have escaped me so I'll just edit when it come to me I guess :P ( I also luv Miyavi tho he's not really obscure....)

Osiris N
06-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Dir en grey is my main band by far. But otherwise, I have been listening to a lot of Kuroyume, Buck Tick, Despairs Ray, Due le quartz and Blam Honey (Although BH broke up...same with DLQ...dammit...) and I looooooooove Kana. She is so adorable how she moans when singing. Sounds like she is hung over. ^_^

-Osiris N

Lookit mah pictures, darnit! GALLERY hehehehehe

sheenaringo
07-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Shena Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrringo!!!

sheenaringo
07-05-2003, 05:07 PM
umm..arent Rip Slyme kinda rap....aka.. rakuen baby...or am i wrong?

makonurikoryoko
07-05-2003, 06:56 PM
oo didnt Kana do the Voice of Madoka in Full Moon o Sagashite... or was I halucinating again? lol ^^
And is Shiina Ringo obscure? o.O I thought a lot of people knew of her.. oh well
Yes Rag Fair, rules mmmm. I love their cover of Windy and I ADORE "Nanakorobi Yaoki" ^_^ Its so fun! hehe and on the note of accapella, what about Gospellers. Theyre really good too!
I also got a song from this group 3B LAB - Ichi-go Ichi-e. I really like that song I definitly need to get mor eof their stuff but its hard doing searches for their stuff caus eof the name.. XD oh well
Oh and Bump of chicken is goo dtoo!! hehe never read much about them on teh boards...

ndn_lady
07-07-2003, 05:44 PM
oh oh oh! i have one! they are..........um, PLASTIC TREE!!!!!!! i love them! them cause they have this sorta far out hard core rock thing going on, i love that. well got to bust.

kitty cat go me-yow!:argue:

yuriko
07-31-2003, 02:04 AM
I don't think Plastic Tree is really obscure, but I LOVE them~
kaggra, kagerou, and mucc aren't really as obscure as they were, but they're both great.

otherwise the defunct cali gari (they broke up just as i got really into them...), vidoll, noir fleurir, raphael (I now like rice and Black Love since Raphael broke up), la'mule
other bands that i like what little I've heard is merry (or meri), zero, velvet eden, and new sodmy

i want to find out more about onmyouza and jinkaku radio but it's hard to find...

Lyn
07-31-2003, 08:20 AM
How about Fatima, Metronome, Guniw Tools, and Nookicky. Haven't seen those listed yet. And yeah, I agree that Plastic Tree isn't really that obscure. More people know about them but I guess people new to J-Rock might not.

Endorphine, which has already been listed before is really good. ^^ But then again, I'm a big Baiser fan and anything with Yukari makes me happy. Also, there was Ribbon, band that Emiru from Lareine was in for a while. Haven't heard anything by them yet though.

Oh and Madeth Gray'll and La'Cryma Cristi (?? I have a big feeling I spelled that wrong) unless someone else mentioned them already.