PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Anime/Manga

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi, does anyone remember when they used to show the Zelda anime on TV long long ago? Also, do you guys remember when Nintendo Power had the manga going? And does anyone know where I could find such things?

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 06:09 PM
You can get the tv show off of file sharing programs like Winmx. One of my friends has the whole series that way. (13 eps). I don't think there's a commercial release of them.

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Oh I used to LOVE the Zelda anime!
"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me princess!"

And poor Link who never got the girl, I felt quite sorry for him.

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-16-2002, 06:59 PM
I have all the episodes, but they're in HORRIBLE quality

Oshi
08-16-2002, 11:38 PM
And with one thread, my anime heritage takes a huge leap into the past... I never knew the Zelda cartoon was anime o_o;

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure if it was actually, but it seems like it from what little I can remember of it

spacecosboy
08-17-2002, 05:44 AM
Lol I used to have some of those comics!
Try this site it has lots of info and even has scans from the comics.

http://captainn.net/main.html

Kurenai
08-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot ^_^

::scratches head:: Link had dark hair? Hmm....I must go back and watch these!

Tenshi
08-18-2002, 03:12 AM
LOL, I remember that show. I hated Fridays because they would show the Link cartoon instead of the Mario Bros.

And it is available commercially. . .I saw it at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I almost bought it too ^^;;. Maybe if you check out bestbuy.com you'll be able to pick it up.

Kurenai
08-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Awesome! I'll go look---thanks!

Marth
08-21-2002, 10:16 PM
It didn't look very anime-like to me...
I wish they'de do a new series based on OoT

Sana-chan
08-22-2002, 01:21 AM
ooo yes! I have some Zelda mangas. Two of them are based off of OOT (one of Link as a child and the other as an adult) and then a third one based off of Majora's Mask. The artwork is so awesome and it's really cool! I had to special order them though from a local Japanese bookstore @_@.

Ranma Saotome
08-22-2002, 03:23 AM
1. The Super Mario Bros Super Show cartoons were not anime.
2. The only Zelda/Mario mangas there ever existed was printed in Nintendo Power.

Sorry to be a pain. :)

Sana-chan
08-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Hmmm I don't think so about these Zelda mangas... they're pretty new actually. Nor were they ever released in the US. Maybe there's more then one? (shurg) lol I dunno. Well, I scanned a pic of the cover of the OOT one. Is it the same?

http://silent-voice.net/zeldaorcarina.jpg

Phavorianne
08-22-2002, 04:16 PM
^_^;; Sorry to correct your correction, Ranma, but this issue has rather irked me. Yes indeed, the cartoons are NOT anime... but the comics in Nintento Power are not manga, either! They're 100% western comics. Hence the completely different character designs (or as some of you put it, "Link has brown hair??" ^o^''').

However, there ARE recent Zelda mangas (no animes, though)... the OoT and Majora's Mask ones that Sana mentioned. Which reminds me =3 Saraaaaah! I wanna see the OoT manga!!!!!!!! XD XD XD

Marth
08-22-2002, 04:32 PM
Must...get...hands...on...Zelda...Man...GAAAAAA!!! !

DJ(SiC)ness
08-24-2002, 03:49 AM
I have that entire zelda comic from Nintendo Power somewhere on my comp. I downloaded it awhile ago. Yeah i remmember the Super Mario Super Show. I even have a video of one of the zelda cartoons. Man that show was bad lol! Link was sooo lame. He was like "hey princess how about a kiss" every 5 secounds. It was awful, but i even have some of those old back issues of NP with that comic in it, i remmember when they had the mario one too. The zelda comic came out right after Link to the past came out. but i think i got the entire comic of some random zelda site, because i was looking for it to oneday.

The worst part about the Super Mario Super Show was the theme. THEY RAPED LOL! But the guys who played mario and luigi where awsome. the words "here come the brothas" still haunt me in my dreams.

~DJ

Kurenai
08-25-2002, 07:26 PM
>1. The Super Mario Bros Super Show cartoons were not anime.

::shrugs:: I didn't really remember the animation style since I saw it so long ago. Oh well.

>2. The only Zelda/Mario mangas there ever existed was printed in Nintendo Power.

Again, I'm going on what little I remember from years ago; they might not be manga, but the old Nintendo Power ones are what I was looking for...

Ranma Saotome
08-25-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Phavorianne
^_^;; Sorry to correct your correction, Ranma, but this issue has rather irked me. Yes indeed, the cartoons are NOT anime... but the comics in Nintento Power are not manga, either! They're 100% western comics. Hence the completely different character designs (or as some of you put it, "Link has brown hair??" ^o^''').

However, there ARE recent Zelda mangas (no animes, though)... the OoT and Majora's Mask ones that Sana mentioned. Which reminds me =3 Saraaaaah! I wanna see the OoT manga!!!!!!!! XD XD XD

Are you sure about that?

Ranma Saotome
08-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by DJ(SiC)ness
The worst part about the Super Mario Super Show was the theme. THEY RAPED LOL! But the guys who played mario and luigi where awsome. the words "here come the brothas" still haunt me in my dreams.

Ahh, Captain Lou Albano in his prime. :p There is a DDR step chart to that as well. It's hilarious. If you want it, I will send it. :D

Phavorianne
08-27-2002, 11:42 PM
^.^;; Well, if you have a copy of any of the Nintendo Power comics, just take a look at the copyrights and author/illustrator information.

artemis316
08-28-2002, 12:15 AM
For what I know, the Zelda comic in Nintendo Power magazine (that was based on A Link to the Past) was indeed in manga form, but was created for the American audience only (though I hear rumors this was a manga when the Super Famicom version came out in Japan)...however, the Japanese artist Nintendo got to do the NP comic is very famous. The illustrator/writer was Shotaro Ishinomori, who's best known for creating the live action superhero Kamen Rider (Masked Rider) series, along w/ Metal Heroes Kikaider and Hakaider (VR Troopers) and the popular Sentai shows (Power Rangers).

Also, if you want to find some of the Legend of Zelda animated episodes on DVD, DiC has released a DVD called 'Mario's Greatest Movie Moments' which has 6 episodes of Super Mario Bros. and 2 episodes of Zelda. The 2 episodes are 'Kiss and Tell,' where Link is turned into a frog and Zelda has to help him break the curse w/ a kiss...and 'The Missing Link,' where Ganon zaps Link by mistake, but only captured his body. Link's spirit can be seen by Zelda only and it's up to her to save him. I found my copy at Best Buy, so that's best place to find it. It's around $14 or so

...and yeah, and the shows aren't anime, though the chraracter designs kinda looked like it was anime-influenced ^_^

Phavorianne
08-28-2002, 04:07 AM
Ah! ^_^ So we are talking about different comics here. No wonder there's the confusion. Thanks for mentioning that you were referring to the Link to the Past comics, Arty! I guess you could say the Zelda Elements comics are manga... but then, it's not really manga, either. It's originally in color and in English. I mean, are American comics written and drawn by a Japanese man manga? O.O? Well how's this? I'm speaking English, so I'll just call them comics. ^__~ Waaah *must find more issues of Nintendo Power*

The other Zelda comics (the ones based off the cartoon) are the ones most of us are remembering. ^.^ Those are just as American as the cartoon. And iunno what you're talking about Arty... anime-influenced? Zelda's wearing pants! Hee hee hee *pokes Arty*

artemis316
08-28-2002, 04:28 AM
Hmm, interesting concept, Yie. Well, it's the same as when an american animated show is created here, but animated in Japan using anime-type shots, character designs and so on, like X-Men Evolution, Transformers Armada, the new Masters of the Universe series, Jackie Chan Adventures and so on...technically they aren't anime since it's made for a US audience, despite they use elements from anime. X__X Ack, my brain in on overload...

Hai...there was another US Zelda comic made here by, now defunct company Valiant that was based on the animated series...now that was a horrible title. I preferred the Captain N comic title since it featured Samus. Heck, I was going in genki mode when DiC decided to cross-over the Zelda characters into the Captain N show's second season...those character designs were more anime-influenced, though Zelda still wore pants...but was kinda cute as well, right beside Lana...*SWOON!* LOL!

Though, let's forget Gameboy was in there too...^.^

*Pokes Yie back*

Well, when I meant anime-influenced, I meant their face/head design, not what they wore. But I know what you're saying...Zelda in tight pants. Wassup w/ dat?! ^_^

I'd offer to give my Nintendo Power magz, demo I need them for when I play my ol' SNES games for tips and stuff, hehehe. :thumbsup:

Phavorianne
08-28-2002, 04:49 AM
=O =O =O Eeeeeeeee OMG *hugs Arty* Dude, bring all your Nintendo Power mags to Ani-Magic! I just want to be able to SEE them! Yaaaaaay! Hehe ^_^ Captain N was always my favorite one... because of Samus and Lana *__* And I hear ya about the Gameboy one! LOL! But it does have Princess Daisy =3
Mweeheehee... I sense evil plotting...

*__* X-men Evolution... some of my friends do art for that... soooooo awesome...

artemis316
08-28-2002, 05:06 AM
^_^; *falls over from being hugged*
Ok...I'll go thru them and bring them to AniMagic!! :D

Hai, Princess Daisy was cute, but I prefer her 'cousin'...or relative, Princess Toadstool. Yesh...Samus and Lana kicks major bootay!! TBH, I had a huge crush on Lana when I was a pre-teen, watching Captain N. ^.^ Arty had lots of crushes on animated girls over the years...including Ariel from The Little Mermaid from Disney, in which I still have it today. *blushes from embarassment*

Ya know...I still can't tell you and Kie apart. I'm such a baka-neko...Wayne #1 and Mandy have been giving me hints, but I still have trouble. LOL!

rpd_girl
08-28-2002, 04:37 PM
agrees, I really loved the short lived series, and it definatly was not anime. I am pretty sure is was US produced. The Super Mario Bros. Super Show has 1 DVD out, and it has a Zelda cartoon on it. I don't have it personally, but a friendof mine does. They cut out all the live action skits unfortunitly. it is on amazon.com no pic though.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UO76/qid%3D1030567050/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-3464045-8980103

BabySnowLeopard
08-28-2002, 04:43 PM
NOOOOOO it's all about DAISY!!!!!
XD

lol dun worry, if you hang out with us more you'll see we don't actually look alike XD

*_* This thread made me so nostalgic... I had to go back and reread all my comics!!! XD OMGGGG this is SO American! The character designs... proportions... drawing style... coloring style... angles... PLOT! *lol* ... and I was just noticing, it's published by Valiant!! O_o I thought they were still alive O_o ... *shrug* And whoever it was that posted that site *too lazy to go back thru the thread and look* THANKS that site is awesome *went back and read every Captain N she ever missed* Now I just need to go download all the cartoons!!! Paffles, I'm putting it on YOUR computer, cuz I dun have and space left on mine XD
ahhh *sniff sniff* the good old days of 80's cartoons... XD I'd forgotten how kooky these plots are *huggles her comics* Only in American comics can you run behind a door to escape an army... or leave a whole entire palace with just one dog to guard it XDDDDDDDDDDD I luv it, the plots are so creative... and so unrealistic XD
And yeah... I liked Captian N way better too X_x I hated the way they depicted Link and Zelda... Link was a male chauvinist pig... and Zelda was a brat =P and they didn't look that great either O_o But Lana was cool!! ^____^ And... Megaman! *huggles* My fave episode was the Megagirl one ;_; And yes, I loved the Zelda Captain N eps... Link and Zelda were cool in those XD they seemed so... magical XD and Link kicks Captain N's butt XD

... ok that's it. I'm doing a Lana costume for next SDCC ^o^!! I've always wanted to costume her, and now I have an excuse XD

~Kie

artemis316
08-28-2002, 11:05 PM
^_^; Daisy?? Peach is much cuter...=P

LOL...that's what Mandy's been telling me, but alas...:confused: Arty ish one clueless cat. Hopefully, we can hang a bit at AniMagic...but I think Mandy may have to pull me over. Arty ish also a shy kitty ^.^

I still have the first season and maybe half of the second season of Captain N still on tape, though I erased the third season for some reason ;_; I wish Nintendo or DiC would put Captain N in a DVD box set or something...that'd rule! ^^ OMG...I completely forgot there was a MegaGirl, though my favorite episode was the 2 parter where the N team competed against Mother Brain's minions in some Olympic games, then get sucked into the lower regions of Videoland...and Kevin and Lana had to go thru the levels of the first MegaMan game. I was also glad that they kept Zelda and Link's voice in the Captain N episodes as well as Ganon, though his character design made him look like Porky Pig.

I don't know...I liked Simon Belmont, though he's nowhere near what he's supposed to be in the Castlevania games, but still, he provided most of the comic relief ^.^ He kind of reminded me of Ryo Saeba a bit...

X-Men Evolution is one of my favorite new animated shows...it really looks anime-influenced, and w/ no doubt. Most of the animation is done by MadHouse (who also did Card Captor Sakura, Ninja Scroll, Jubei-chan and many other titles)

Oh, and my favorite line of all time from Zelda...

'Wellllll, excuuussseee meeeeeeee, Princess!!' ROFL XD~~

Ranma Saotome
08-28-2002, 11:56 PM
I just have one thing to say...

MEGA-HI!!!!

I remember watching the Super Mario Bros Super Show and Captain N: The Game Master @ 6AM on Univiosn 41! :D That's right, in spanish!

OLA DE MEGA!!!!

Ranma Saotome
08-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BabySnowLeopard
ahhh *sniff sniff* the good old days of 80's cartoons... XD I'd forgotten how kooky these plots are *huggles her comics* Only in American comics can you run behind a door to escape an army... or leave a whole entire palace with just one dog to guard it XDDDDDDDDDDD I luv it, the plots are so creative... and so unrealistic XD

The 80's had some great toons man. I tell ya. Remember watching the Friday night previews for the new cartoons? Damn, it's 2002, what the hell happened?!

artemis316
08-29-2002, 01:37 AM
Time really flies, doesn't it?? I still remember when Transformers were the 'In' thing...then He-Man, Thundercats, Silverhawks, MASK, Smurfs, Real Ghostbusters, Captain N, GI Joe, TMNT, Power Rangers, Pokemon, Gundam W...and now Jackie Chan Adventures, X-Men Evolution, Big Guy and Rusty, Yu-Gi-oh, and so on.

Shoot, I remember Hammerman (based on MC Hammer), New Kids on the Block, The Karate Kid, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, The Littles, Kidd Video, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Rainbow Brite, Popples, Pole Position, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Donkey Kong, Voltron, Saber Rider, Star Blazers, Gobots, Danger Mouse, Mighty Orbots, Galaxy High, D&D, She-Ra, Robotech, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, BraveStarr...and the list goes on and on ^.^

BabySnowLeopard
08-29-2002, 05:08 AM
In Spanish?? lol!!

ahhhh... must watch again~!! Heh... I didn't like the 3rd Season of Captain N... they got that new art director or something, and it looked really ugly X_x

Oooo... Pirates of Dark Water... I really liked that one too... can't remember why XD

hrm... I haven't seen any of the X-men Evolution animation... I just remember seeing a poster up in Jack in the Box.... and thinking "Hmm, that looks like it has major anime influences!" And then later one of my friends told me, yeah, cuz Long drew it! And I was like X_x oh well that would explain it *didn't notice the Vo chip* ^_^;

~Kie

Ranma Saotome
08-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Dark Water owned!!!!! :D

Yes Baby Snow Leopard, in Spanish! :) Plus other stuff too!

Artemis, remember Pac-Man and Q-Bert? :)

DJ(SiC)ness
08-29-2002, 07:06 PM
I acually have a bunch of old VHS Tapes of the super mario Super show. I was totaly into it back when i was little. The live action actors where awsome, i loved the epi when Mario dreams he meets Elvira, after staying up all night watching her show. LOL! The old zelda cartoon was weird thou.

And what was up with Mega Man on Captin N.

HE DIDN'T LOOK LIKE MEGA MAN AT ALL!!!

He was green and stuff.

artemis316
08-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Kie, the animation in Evolution is awesome...some of the best stuff Marvel did ever since the 1995 Spiderman show. Maybe ask Wayne #1 to record it for ya since he watches Kids WB more than me...^.^ I only watch that and Jackie Chan on WB...usually I'm watching (or recording) Power Rangers and Digimon. :D

Ooooh, Pirates of Dark Water...another one of my favorite shows, only because Jodi Benson was on the show (played Tula, but best known as the voice of Ariel) since she's one of my favorite US VA. Now, that show had some anime-influenced storytelling in there...and people got killed off, which is a rarity in more mature US animated shows. I remember Invasion America from Steven Spielberg a few years ago...that was an awesome show.

Do I ever remember PacMan and Q-bert?! Duuude....I remember Pitfall, Donkey Kong Jr...under the 2 hour block: Saturday SuperCade on CBS!!

I didn't like MegaMan in Captain N...he sounded too much like a munchkin. I prefered the more pumped up version when they made MegaMan into his own show w/ Wily, Protoman, Roll and Rush...though MegaMan was too buff, at least it stayed true to the game. My favorite episode is where MegaMan X appears in the 2nd season...

Ranma Saotome
08-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by artemis316
Do I ever remember PacMan and Q-bert?! Duuude....I remember Pitfall, Donkey Kong Jr...under the 2 hour block: Saturday SuperCade on CBS!!

Oh dood! You remember that?! You are da man! :)

artemis316
08-30-2002, 03:33 AM
^_^;;

That's what I get for having alot of useless information in my tiny lil' brain...

SailorAndromeda
08-30-2002, 10:25 AM
I know I'm late on this topic...But I used to love the Super Mario Super Show! And I used to have a bunch of the Mario comics and Link comics put out by Valiant. I recently found a site that has the new Zelda OoT manga translated online. I *love* that artwork!
They need to bring back some of the '80s cartoons, the kids these days need to experience it, hehe ^^
yeah, I really like the new X-men: Evolution and Jackie Chan as well. The new seasons start next weekend I believe!

Ranma Saotome
08-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Now that we're talking about "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show", can someone please explain what the hell "Club Mario" was?! They replaced Mario and Luigi with a couple of stoners from California! >.<

Adella
09-07-2002, 02:35 AM
the old zelda show wasn't anime. and the nintendo power comics were manga.. but a very stupid manga. the ocarina of time manga is very well drawn but I DON'T LIKE ZELDA X LINK!!!!!! MALON X LINK FOREVER AAAAAAAAAAH!!!! :D

Adella
09-07-2002, 02:36 AM
http://www.animebooks.com/legofzelgagb.html zelda manga to purchase. I have a site that lets you read it for free.. ::search:: it's in my favorite places on another computer in another state!

Adella
09-07-2002, 02:38 AM
http://www.bsu.edu/web/agscherer/zeldaindex2.html here is the site that has the zelda manga. use the little scrolling thing on the right to select chapters.

Ranma Saotome
09-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Thank you Aeris-chan! :)

Kurenai
09-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Kawaii! Thanks for the link, Aeris-san!

Adella
09-08-2002, 12:24 AM
::takes a bow::

Ranma Saotome
09-08-2002, 01:23 AM
*plays FF win theme*

Adella
09-08-2002, 02:55 AM
::ending pose::

Spaztik
10-05-2002, 04:23 PM
i got a friend that has all the Zelda manga and they're all imports. Theres 2 OoT, 1 Majora's Mask, 1 Oracle of Ages and 1 Oracle of Seasons. Hes also got the entire show on .avi but the quality suxors. And Link does have brown hair in the show and it bugs us.