PDA

View Full Version : Does make-up make the costume?

Lillyxandra
08-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Looking at all the Japanese cosplayers Iíve noticed that almost all of the girls have a fair amount of make-up on and it seems that most American cosplayers tend to overlook this detail when cosplaying. So do you all think wearing make-up helps complete the costume?

L to the 3rd
08-16-2002, 09:23 PM
well uh...let's just say, I wouldn't be Squall without
my Guy Make up. ^_^

Yggdrasil Pie
08-16-2002, 10:21 PM
...I...never wear makeup...I just never feel right in it... ^^;;;

Lillyxandra
08-16-2002, 10:21 PM
*looks at avatar* I must say that when I first saw you avatar I thought you were a guy *hides head* You portray a very hot Squall with your make-up and hair^_~

Celine
08-16-2002, 10:46 PM
This is a good question. I personally feel that makeup helps a lot. Most people have less-than-perfect complexions and makeup can hide imperfections. It also helps your features, like eyes, stand out in film. I've met plenty of people who are very beautiful in life, but cameras are harsh and I really think that everyone can benefit from makeup. I do wear makeup regularly, and I used to do a lot of stage makeup for theatre, so I might be a little biased. ^_^;;

...Guy makeup? What might that entail? ^^

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I've been wondering, what kind of makeup should you wear when crossplaying? oO;;; I wore some gray/silver eyeshadow when I was doing Sanzo, which doesn't show in pics but I think it worked better than a girlier color would have . . . but what about lipstick?

I try to wear more makeup than normal when I'm cosplaying . . . and I bought yellow eyeshadow specifically for Haruko, lol. (I found a pic where you can see that hers is yellow!) But I'm terrible with makeup so I'm pretty incompetent about the whole thing.

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 10:51 PM
I haven't really chosen a make-up intensive character yet. I'll usually just wear my normal foundation & mascara. I wore some lipstick for Mireille, since she really does have pink lips. But pink looks horrid on me, so I wore a more flattering shade >_<

I'm planning on using some self-tanner in the future to get a more accurate skin tone for a character.

Lillyxandra
08-16-2002, 11:41 PM
For crossplaying Id say use a light foundation all over the face and focus mostly on the eyes(being the most important feature of the face) maybe put a thin black line all the way around the eyes and then some mascara. As for the lips Id just use some chapstick.

>I've met plenty of people who are very beautiful in life, but cameras are harsh and I really think that everyone can benefit from makeup

I agree the camera flash can really wash out your face. Makeup helps the eyes and lips stand out more, even a little makeup like lipgloss helps.

Koumori
08-16-2002, 11:53 PM
Makeup is key - though I've only recently begun to appreciate that. I'm very pale, and I find I look completely washed out in photos if I'm not wearing serious foundation. Even a "natural" look requires more makeup than you'd think.

Cait
08-17-2002, 12:31 AM
I agree and from now on am getting serious about the make-up. In the past all I really cared about were the clothes themselves. After attending a con, I began to finally grasp what color contacts, amazing wigs, and reasonable make-up can really do. My next two costumes will have a heavy emphasis on make up as part of the costume. What kind of beautiful princess would I be without it? And how would I pull off a cat girl's spots?

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 12:32 AM
I look kinda undead in the pics, and apparently I look that way in person too . . . I, uh, got asked at AX - "Is that makeup, or are you really that pale?" I think I need to go for some more blush and darker foundation. =_=;;;

And I really need someone to teach me to use eye liner . . . oO--- But thanks for the tips, next time I wear Sanzo I really need to do more.

Cait
08-17-2002, 12:37 AM
I posted this on another thread, but I work with a woman who also is a consultant for Mary Kay. Before next year's cons I'm setting up a session with her to try out/pick out make up for my character to match the costume and creating a custom compact out of the components I'll need.

Ali-kun
08-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Ack...makeup @_@ I should get someone to teach me about makeup. I never wear it...and I'm doing a FEMALE character next year who will require that I wear lots of exciting light pink makeup. It's practically panda...ack.

But I never wear makeup when I'm crossplaying...mostly because I don't think of it. It probably would be a good idea though, because some people did bring up the point that it can smooth out blemishes and such, and enhance facial features for the camera.

I'll just have to find someone who can teach me >_< Woo!

Cait
08-17-2002, 12:45 AM
>>>And I really need someone to teach me to use eye liner . . . oO--- But thanks for the tips, next time I wear Sanzo I really need to do more.

>>>I'll just have to find someone who can teach me >_< Woo!

Mary Kay. The consultants do free makovers and give makeup parties to teach people how to apply make up. I just went to one not more than a week ago (as a favor to a friend). I never knew there was a thing called 'concealer' and that it actually concealed stuff. By the time they were done instructing me I looked rather pretty! ^_^ And after you go to a big party you can schedule personal sessions to test colors on your face an pick out colors/looks that are good for you. They also show you how to achieve looks. Old fashioned, but neat.

Tenshisama
08-17-2002, 01:01 AM
Ooooo makeup ^_^ I rarely use makeup normally cause it feels kinda icky, but I always wear something when I cosplay. (I think the majority of my makeup collection is for cosplay use ^_^;;) It wouldn't be cosplay without the bright red shoujo lipstick ^_~

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 01:50 AM
Mary Kay, huh? Hmm. *is afraid* But maybe I'll try that . . . lol, though, one time I went to the mall and asked for help with perfume . . . *dies of fumes* Man. That was a bad idea! lol.

Hmm . . . this time I really HAVE to get up the guts to wear my brilliant red Faye lipstick . . . just wrong without it . . .

ReiChan
08-17-2002, 01:53 AM
Makeup and a good wig really do make a difference, I think. For my three cosplays so far, one entailed heavy goth makeup, and the other two I created specific looks for. One of the most flattering comments I got on my Death costume was something like "Out of all the Deaths I've seen, you're the only one who did it right". I'm sure the makeup had something to do with that. It really helps you portray your character. And for myself, it helps me to present myself as the character a little better.

For guy makeup, although I haven't crossplayed yet, I'd recommend just using a foundation with concealer and powder (you don't have to use all that, it depends on how clear your natural complexion is), something to even out skin tone. Makeup makes you look a whole lot better in pictures. Also, you can use a brow eyebrow pencil to fill your brows in a bit, if you tend to keep them in a feminine shape. Of course, if you're cosplaying an uber-girly bishounen, this won't be necessary. Finally, I've found that filling in your lips with foundation or concealer (Victoria's secret sells this great skin-toned stuff that's supposed to be a foundation for lipstick) to lighten them can make them look more masculine. That's all I can think of really. Personally I love to play with makeup, so it's not a big deal for me to put it on for cosplay.

Edit: Yargh! Ayakaaaa! Faye isn't Faye without the lipstick ;_;

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 02:08 AM
OOH I was gonna ask about that, I'd seen people who looked like they had some kind of foundation stuff on their lips. ^^ Ashram's gonna need something like that.

Yes, I know . . . ;_; I couldn't get my stupid suspenders to stay up! And I was LATE for the shoot! And my wig wouldn't cooperate! And there was no one to remind me on the way out, "for crying out loud where's your lipstick?!" But I have a new wig so hopefully I'll do it right at AXNY . . . I nearly took the costume off at AX before I left the hotel room, cause I knew it didn't look good . . . but I wanted to go to the shoot.

L to the 3rd
08-17-2002, 02:12 AM
actually for those attending Ani-magic, I will
be hosting a panel about applying make up for
crossplaying as male characters & basic prop design. ^_^
heeh thanx for the nice comments.

ReiChan
08-17-2002, 02:18 AM
Aww, next time then... :3

One thing about putting foundation on your lips though: it tends to come off more easily than products made for your lips. Also, I don't recommend putting gloss on over it. It just makes a mess.... x_x. But it's a good technique for making you look more masculine.

Sidenote: I have a book on makeup by Kevyn Aucoin (famous makeup artist...he died recently, unfortunately), and it's got some great information and techniques. I dunno if you all have seen these, but he's the guy who would put makeup on famous actors to make them look like other famous personalities, and then photograph them. He made Lisa Marie Presley look like Marilyn Monroe, Demi Moore look like a silent film star from the 1920s, and a bunch of others. There's also a few men in the book he made up to look like women, and it's actually convincing. This guy's amazing. Anyway, his book's called Making Faces...check it out if you're in a bookstore browsing.

Jibrille
08-17-2002, 08:34 AM
there are cases where without the makeup people will look at you and say "who are you/what are you from?"
like with my Ritsuko costume. without the whore red lipstick, the mascara darkened eyebrows, and the eyeliner created mole i would just be another no-name lab coat wearing costumer. ^^

and with jibrille making myself pale and having the right eyeshadow and eye makeup gave the costume one last great touch.

LiL QoH
08-17-2002, 09:39 AM
are you kidding?! Makeup is my bestfriend! ^_^ especially for my llu cosutme with my purple lipstick/eyeshadow and thick eyelashes *_*

Lillyxandra
08-17-2002, 10:52 AM
Yea some people have to use makeup Lulu, Faye, and almost all J-rocker. My sister and I are thinking of putting up a anime makeup tutorial on our site once we get it up again. It might help some of those cosplayers that dont feel comfortable or are not sure how to wear it. Winks at Ayaka^_~

Cynthia
08-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Especially for my Lulu, like a day or two before the con I wore it for I went and put almost the entire costume on-it didn't look right until I put the make-up on and tinted my hair darker. I have polaroids of myself as Lulu up, but their not of good quality-you can bearly see any of the detail in the costume. I hope to get some of the better digital camera pics taken of me at the con.

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 12:03 PM
> As for the lips Id just use some chapstick.

Actually, I started using as a test chapstick + foundation for my lips and it's so much better than only chapstick... because my lips are naturally red and people kept on asking me if I had lipstick on as Ramirez...

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 12:05 PM
>My sister and I are thinking of putting up a anime makeup tutorial on our site

Good idea!

Kurenai
08-17-2002, 12:09 PM
I tend to focus more on the colors of makeup more than its ability to smooth out your face....though I must look into that for the next con!

A side note: I need to be very, very blonde for one of my costumes (blonde eyebrows and lashes, big blue contacts). So far I've been applying gold eyeliner to my brows and blending like crazy. It seems to work but it fades really quickly. Any tips?

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 12:15 PM
The colored hairsprays would work for that, but they feel nasty. Hmm...I know they make eyebrow gels, maybe you could find an opaque blond one?

Koumori
08-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Gold eyeliner is a good idea - they also make a gold loose powder which might work. I've used it in my brows with a clear mascara for special effects or for extra glitter when I was going out, but you might be able to get a decent pale look that way. If not straight gold, maybe try loose powder shadow?

I think at Shoujocon I ended up wearing just as much makeup for Nuriko as for Toshiya, if not more - and all of that to get the *effect* that I was hardly wearing any (well, that, and to get the effect that I was ten years younger and had maybe gotten some sleep in the past week). Even if you're doing a character who doesn't wear makeup, or doesn't do much, you still should.

If you have the resources for it, lots of makeup counters/companies will do consultations/makeovers. I think MAC is probably your best bet for makeup artists who won't look at you funny if you come in with an anime picture and say "I wanna look like THAT." As a bonus, their makeup is generally fabulous. :)

shiroi_yukiko
08-17-2002, 12:26 PM
I am sooooo horrible at using make-up, but I refuse to cosplay without it! Of course, now that I'm mostly j-rock cosplaying, I guess that makes sense, but even before I felt that it was rather necessary. It can really add that extra piece to a costume!

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Speaking of guy makeup at AX I had to run after my Katan and hide her lipstick because she would not understand the concept that even lipGLOSS would make her lips look bigger and more feminine. >__<

Which ended up into a strange "No makeup until you're grown, young man" discussion which backfired on my at Otakon when she dressed as /adult/ Katan. LOL

And I have to say, I hate foundation. >__< I never wear the stuff. And I am happy I always cosplayed as characters as light-skinned as me so I never actually /needed/ any.

But one thing I can attest to is that people who cosplay as women tend to need a lot of makeup or they end up looking washed out on pictures.

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 01:21 PM
Lily - Oh, PLEASE put up a tutorial. I'm hopeless. I'm thinking I should use these fake eyelashes I got free for Faye, and of course, no idea how to use them . . . eh, maybe I won't fuss with it, her other makeup and the fake nails should keep me busy . . .

Dangit, now I have to go shopping before AXNY. lol. My hair happens to be exactly Youji's length at the moment so it'd be criminal if I didn't wear him again, and I was planning to take Sanzo so I've got to try again to get my eyebrows NOT black . . .

Cait
08-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Which ended up into a strange "No makeup until you're grown, young man" discussion which backfired on my at Otakon when she dressed as /adult/ Katan. LOL

:crylaugh: Too funny!

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 04:02 PM
> Too funny!

We have our little moments on in-character insanity at every con... makes it a lot of fun. ^____^

> I've got to try again to get my eyebrows NOT black . .

Bleach them, it takes 10 minutes and will look great.
I have to do it all the time because I was born with non-matching eyebrows. LOL

Koumori
08-17-2002, 05:14 PM
Definitely bleach them. Or if you're nervous about doing it yourself, check at your salon. I have mine dyed every time I have my hair cut - if I don't, they're completely invisible, and it's even worse in photos.

Asuka Langley
08-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Well, today my friends were playing with some candles, and one of them accidently dropped a little bit... a few seconds later, her leg looked like it had a scar or something like that... you could perfectly use that with a cosplay, except for the fact that it hurts!!!!!!!!!!! ><''''''

Anyway, i think make up is one of my best friends... i use it maybe because I like to feel prettier than normal days... and also because you can even change your face with some technique...
if you don't know how to use it, just try it at home, exercise how to wear it... ^^

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 07:27 PM
> Bleach them, it takes 10 minutes and will look great.
I have to do it all the time because I was born with non-matching eyebrows. LOL

I'm gonna do what now? :eek: What do you do when you don't want them bleached out? Am I supposed to use a dye after? It's not, like, gonna make 'em fall out or anything, is it? *has many questions lol*

Not sure what you mean, non-matching, lol. Well, I have light brown hair but jet black eyebrows . . . I guess that's non-matching. ^^;

Tenshi
08-18-2002, 02:01 AM
I wear makeup only when I want to (read: hardly ever) when I'm in regular clothes, but I flat-out refuse to get in costume without makeup. When I'm in costume I tend to overdo the makeup so it'll show in pictures -- I'm naturally pale as a vampire :P.

A makeup tutorial would be a great thing! Would you include stuff on facepainting too? I love my Aeka costume, but I just can't get the face painting right ;_;.

L to the 3rd
08-18-2002, 02:27 AM
When I'm squall, all I use is like
eyeshadow (brown) and the covergirl
cover up stick. I apply a small amount
to my lips to make it less pink but if you put
too much, you'll look like you're sick or a zombie.

I don't use that much make up in general..but
the small amount i use, is still essential to the
over all effect.

Don't forget blotting sheets to
remove excess oil and the clean n' clear anti-shine
medicated powder!!!

HuongStar
08-19-2002, 09:39 AM
I think I need to go for some more blush and darker foundation. =_=;;;

No no!! If you are pale and want to look like you have a bit more color, you should use one of those sheer tints that is slightly darker than your natural skin tone. Don't go more than two shades darker or else it'll look frighteningly obvious. The key here is the sheer formula because it won't mask your skin and it's easily blended into the jawline.

I cannot emphasize the importance of a bit of make-up for photographs. Good moisturizer, concealer, blush, mascara, and some groomed eyebrows can easily change your whole appearance and it doesn't take much effort. I try to avoid powder unless you are naturally oily-skinned because it gives your skin an aged appearance if use improperly. >_< All of Kevyn Aucoin's and Bobbi Brown's books are useful if you've never used make-up before and Kevyn's books have lots of interesting theatrical tips.

I could go and on about makeup...ask away if you have any questions. It's an unhealthy obsession, I tell ya! :(

Shadra D
08-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Hahah, now THIS is a good thread ~.~ First thing first, Rosiel, you WILL be wearing makeup for Katsucon e_e AX is fine, you're skin is perfect (damn you) for the part.

But for the stage costumes.. EVERYONE will be wearing makeup =____= STAGE makeup. =___=;;

Ahem. Yes, I agree (to the original thread message) that makeup can often make or break a costume. When people cosplay as well-known anime characters, the people looking at them and recognizing them well base the 'quality' of their costume based on the original cel-painting image. This is why accuracy counts. Wrinkles, shiny fabric, and fabric that does not move like you see it in the anime destroys the illusion of you 'being' that character. It's purely in the mind.

But this is why I have found (not put into use yet, though ><) bold, bright colors completely out-shine any gaudy fabrics you may see (example, I find Nuriko cosplayers using a plain cotton weave fabric with accurate colors really catch my eye more than those who go for shiny satin.. mostly because the satin shows the shape of the body, the wrinkles, the mess ups... it makes them look like a cosplayer, not like Nuriko, if you know what I mean ^^)

This also applies to wigs, most of the time. It's why I find that using wigs for even normal-looking anime hair helps. Because all the strands of hair are EXACTLY the same color, it keeps that idea of paint, see. Normal human hair is made of a lot of colors.

And so, yes, using foundation on your face, and pantyhose on your legs (be sure to match it all e_e) keeps that 'cel-shaded' look that people usually are seeking subconsciously.

Now, slightly off topic, if you're doing a manga-version costume, a lot of those rules don't apply, as manga is not often clean-cut edges like anime, and since there are no colors, futzing around with different materials is often really great ^^ The details are very important for manga-based costumes, as they are often seen very clearly in the drawings as opposed to the anime.

Right, back to makeup. Foundation GOOD. Powder GOOD. But only on top of FOUNDATION (powder alone will just shift on your face and only stick to some spots, and then it will accentuate the irregularities on your skin, such as pockmarks, pimples, scars, etc.)

You really want powder for photographs, too, as flashes will reflect off of foundation and your non-avoidable sweaty and oily skin.

Eyeliner is very useful for those with light eyelashes (or, in my case, none at all X_X ) to accentuate your eyes, which are the main focus in almost any anime character. They will make or break your character's expression when you are posing, or walking around 'in character'. Luckily, most people can get away without it, but I find that, if put on correctly, it can really add a lot to the costume.

Lipliner is good for characters that wear lipstick in their drawings/cels. Other than that, it's best not to bother, as most anime characters aren't really drawn with lips, so it's best not to draw attention to them.

And as Rosi can tell you, it's IMPORTANT for cross-playing NOT to wear it ><;; accenting lips is a very, very female thing. You don't want people to notice them, or it will destroy the 'male' image you've created. Likewise, as before, if you play a male character, avoid darkening your eyes (unless, of course, they're supposed to look like that, such as Ramirez)

However.

When you are on stage doing a cosplay, lipstick is essential. Don't forget, the people out there probably cannot hear a word you say, so you will not only have to enunciate, but you will have to exxagerate the movements of your lips. You want people to be able to see them well, because lip-reading is about all most people will be able to do o.- This is why all stage actors should wear lipstick. Even the guys.

So I'm allotting an hour or two to get everyone into makeup for Katsucon. Only a few will need some extra work, but mostly, if they don't know how to put on -stage- makeup, there will be trouble x.x;

I am very much grateful for the years of theater I took in school, both acting and tech o_o_V I ended up having to do the makeup for everyone in the last play, 'The Good Woman of Setzuan', because our director wanted Chinese-Opera style makeup and... well, it's pretty heavy duty stuff, and everyone was afraid to put it on heavily enough and.. Err. Right. >_>;;

*goes back into hiding*

Hikaruchan
08-19-2002, 11:02 AM
I normally don't wear makeup, about the only time I do is when I am cosplaying. I am very pale, so without makeup on I look horrible in pics, as the only thing that stands out is my eyebrows and eyes without it (on my bus pass that was really the only features could be seen as everything else totally washed out). So, along with the costume goes foundation, blush, lipstick and a little eyeshadow.

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Ayaka:

> What do you do when you don't want them bleached out?

You buy that bleach that is for facial hair at your local CVS.
Mix it following the instructions, put on eyebrows until they are all covered. Use the little spatula to make sure you get some not only on top of the eyebrows but between hairs too.

You now look like Santa Claus.

Leave it on about 5-10 minutes depending on how coarse your hairs are and how light you want them. Remove little bits and peek all the time until you get the color you want.

Rince off.

It won't bleach to white unless you let it. It will slowly bleach going to lighter brown to a sort of reddish gold to blonde.

I do it weekly, just make sure not to get some in your eyes.

> Not sure what you mean, non-matching, lol. Well, I have light brown hair but jet black eyebrows . . . I guess that's non-matching. ^^;

I have jet black eyebrows and eyelashes... with BLONDE hair.
It's a family trait. >_<;;;;

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Shad

> First thing first, Rosiel, you WILL be wearing makeup for Katsucon

FX makeup. ^____^

> AX is fine, you're skin is perfect (damn you) for the part.

MWA HA HA. My hair is perfect too. That doesn't happen very often...

> shiny satin.. mostly because the satin shows the shape of the body, the wrinkles, the mess ups...

AND shiny makes you look bigger than you are!
So when you're cosplaying one of those anorexic-sized characters... it's not a good idea.

> You really want powder for photographs, too, as flashes will reflect off of foundation and your non-avoidable sweaty and oily skin.

Or you can do like me and not wear makeup. LOL

> if you play a male character, avoid darkening your eyes (unless, of course, they're supposed to look like that, such as Ramirez)

You knew I was going to go into that uh?

Darkening is good when characters are drawn with the patented "evil look" which is basically darked slanted eyes. It's also good for characters with droopy eyes if your own eyes do not have the right shape.

ALSO what is very practical is WHITE eyeliner that you add to the inside of your eyes. For people with small eyes, it makes them look bigger, more animeish.

> So I'm allotting an hour or two to get everyone into makeup for Katsucon.

I get two hours right? LOL

HuongStar
08-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Any time you cover your skin (ie foundation, powder), light will reflect off of it, thus making your skin appear lighter. To avoid the white-face-mismatched-body look you see in pictures, lightly dust any exposed skin (ie neckline, shoulders) with translucent powder.

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 01:45 PM
See, now, no offense to them really, but the cosplay panels I've been at have not been very helpful. You guys would run a much better one. ^^

Rosiel - I'm a little scared by the whole bleach concept . . . but I want Sanzo to be accurate, I think he looked goofy with that really pale wig and then my black eyebrows, lol. So I guess I'll give it a shot . . . I'll absolutely do it for Guibu.

> I have jet black eyebrows and eyelashes... with BLONDE hair.
It's a family trait. >_<;;;;

lol. Well, not really, I've seen all kinds of people with unusual mixes of coloring . . . I have very pale skin, but being half of middle eastern descent, I don't burn (or tan, for that matter) easily.

Shadra - Hey . . . wait . . . *I'm* in the Katsucon masq. This may mean I'm going to drag you into giving me a short refresher in stage makeup. ^^;;;

You made some really good points . . . just want to second all of that, pretty much. ^^ I don't think I've thought about it enough that I could have said, this is why I prefer the cosplayers who used cotton over those who used satin . . .

I wonder where you can get those hose/tights like the Japanese cosplayers wear, which seem pretty opaque? Maybe a dance store .

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 01:53 PM
> You guys would run a much better one. ^^

Yay! I actually helped hold a cosplay panel once. It was a LOT of fun... there was just very little attendance. =)

(That was my first and only time in a cosplay panel I had to admit!)

> So I guess I'll give it a shot . . . I'll absolutely do it for Guibu.

If you go to a con I will attend, I can do it for/with you if you want... =)

> I don't burn (or tan, for that matter) easily.

My skin has two modes of operation: pale victorian white or bright lobster red. ^__^

> mean I'm going to drag you into giving me a short refresher in stage makeup. ^^;;;

She's doing the makeup for our group. =)
Did you get the message on the ML I sent? I think I mentioned it...

> Maybe a dance store .

Or you can get them also at sports stores. In the aerobics or gymnastics section.

Shadra D
08-19-2002, 02:09 PM
LOL, yes, we will have a corner and will be doing makeup before the stage.. come on over and I can give you tips ^^

And Rosi, I absolutely cannot get the makeup to look right unless you have the stage foundation underneath e_e it's basically the equivilent of primer on a canvas. I will screw up if I don't and it will look horrible. E_e I will tie you down if I have to! Everyone will be wearing the foundation and transluscent powder so they don't look washed out on stage, and you ESPECIALLY so they will be able to see the special effect makeup without light glaring off of it u_u *tyrannical makeup artist* And then someone will hold the mirror so I can do my own x.x;

But from what I have to do for yours, I would say... an hour at most, if I get picky with details that judges will see... actually, I'll have to have done that beforehand, won't I? so I'll be doing adjustments. Anyway.

Cosplay panels.. I've never been on a panel other than ones for Mental Health, see..

and I'm a relative newcomer to cosplay, Otakon's costume being the VERY FIRST I've put, you know, actual effort into e.e; I know a lot of stuff, but nobody knows, me, so... Yeah. Better for all the famous people >D

Medellia
08-19-2002, 02:24 PM
When taking cosplay pics, foundation, fake eyelashes, and a ton of eye make up are my best friend. When you get your pic taken, especially anything besides a head shot, your make up doesn't even show up most of the time, so you really don't have to worry about wearing too much.

About dark liner all around the eye, I actually find that dark eye make up makes my eyes less visable. I use pale, a-little-lighter-than-skintone make up from my eyelid to eyebrow. Then I gradually use darker make up as I go closer to my eye, then rim my eye line with brownish shadow. A little liquid black liner on the top lid, a crap load of mascara, and fake eyelashes and I'm good to go! And in pics, you really can't tell I'm wearing anything (esp cuz most cosplay photographers aren't pro-quality^_~). I also like to use a lot of foundation and powder to minimize shadows on my face.

In RL, I wear eyeliner. Dat's it. ^_^ Like Tenshisama, most of my make up collection comes into play at cosplay time ^_~

As to the original question, make up is one of those little details that people forget, but really do help make a costume. Make up is your friend! ^_^

HazelAsher
08-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Hmm..I think make-up can be important; I guess it all depends on the character. When I cosplayed Rinoa, it was easy to see that her complexion was FLAWLESS, so I had a bit of a hard time trying to match that O_o. Ehe, but yep..I've noticed some people (even Japanese cosplayers) to go a little overboard. But of course, make-up is always a must on a flashy Malice Mizer outfit.. :D.

Remember people, if ya wear foundation, blend it in. O_o; Hehe, I love pointing it out to my mom every time I see that big foundation live around the face. But in all seriousness, if ya do put on foundation, it's important to make sure it's blended in correctly. :D

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 03:36 PM
> She's doing the makeup for our group. =)
Did you get the message on the ML I sent? I think I mentioned it...

It was probably in there, and I'm just a space cadet cause I'm freaking about so much different stuff. *feels guilty* I will reply to it today! It's on my schedule!

Gah, lol, I need you guys to be at AXNY . . . I think I'm gonna have to put my costumes on and just wear them on the subway, I'll get tons of strange looks, but dealing with accessories and some fairly complex makeup in the hotel bathroom sounds like a bad idea . . . oO;;;

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 03:45 PM
> Gah, lol, I need you guys to be at AXNY . . .

I'm not going... I'm being good and saving $$$. ;___;

> I think I'm gonna have to put my costumes on and just wear them on the subway

LOL That promises to be interesting. The only costume I wore in the subway was Zoiste (which is quite tame) and people were already staring. Get a "stared at" buddy and go with someone else. Not only will it make it more bareable, you never know when you can come across a weirdo. >__

> I'll get tons of strange looks, but dealing with accessories and some fairly complex makeup in the hotel bathroom sounds like a bad idea . . . oO;;;

LOL At AX I did my wig/wing/makeup touchups in the hotel bathroom. It was quite... entertaining. >__<

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 07:45 PM
> I'm not going... I'm being good and saving $$$. ;___;

Don't worry, I'm sure there are going to be problems with the con . . . I have a feeling about that. Besides, I only get to go because my brother lives in NYC. Thus the subway ride, we have to get from his apartment down to Times Square. And he IS going to be cosplaying, but no one will notice. So I'm gonna be a lone weirdo. oO;;;; And CROSSPLAYING, no less. Too bad I don't do it well enough that no one would notice I was in drag (is it still drag if you're going female to male?), that just adds to the weirdness factor, lol. But, I can say, there is NO WAY I'm wearing Faye on the subway, not even with an entourage of bodyguards. >.<;;;;

> LOL At AX I did my wig/wing/makeup touchups in the hotel bathroom. It was quite... entertaining. >__<

Yes, I bet it . . . was . . . lol.

L to the 3rd
08-19-2002, 07:54 PM
as for ppl cosplaying j-rock.. the rules don't apply.
go crazyyy. ^_^

Shadra D
08-19-2002, 10:28 PM
LOL. very true >D

Space Invader
08-19-2002, 10:54 PM
I ALWAYS wear makeup. Foundation, eyeliner, the whole shmear. For Hikaru however, I used eyeliner A TON heavier than normal, with a dark charcoal colored eyeshadow over it, to give my eyes the "CLAMP" look. I like to wear glitter on my cheeks too - it just adds something, and the fact that I always wear some glitter, somewhere on my face... LOL. Dark lipstick, don't forget it! I like to wear a dark pinkish-red with my costumes, but I have other colors too. Makeup is essential, ESPECIALLY for a shoujo outfit!