PDA

View Full Version : adobe photoshop collage tips

arrowchild
01-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm preparing to put togeter a photo collage for an entry in a cosplaylab look-alike contest and, while I'm fairly familiar with adobe photoshop, (I have 6.0 and work with it regularly as a digital coloring tool for illustration jobs), I've never done a photo collage in it before. I plan on incorporating photos of myself as well as reference images of the character. Where should I begin, (background..? etc etc...)? What is the best way to cut and paste smaller photo-images, (magic wand? lasso? cloning stamp?) from a larger photograph?

Any suggestions and/or tips about photoshop collaging would be greatly appreciated!!

bob1968m
01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
grabbing portions of images from other pics you'll most likely make use of the selection tools (rectangle, ellipse and lasso). You'll want to set the feather value at 5 or so, so that the edges are, well, feathered rather than cut as if with scissors.

As you put the pieces into your main canvas as seperate layers, the move tool and transform options under Edit will be your friend so that you can resize, reposistion, and rotate as needed.

I'm assuming all that is in there in 6.0, never used that version.

TomodachiFriend
01-20-2007, 10:42 PM
What I usually do is to start by using the rectangular selection tool. Once I've copied what I wanted to the collage, I work on the final transparency by making a mask.

arrowchild
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Thank you so much for the tips. They were a HUGE help in putting together my final collage for the contest!!