PDA

View Full Version : Howl's Moving Castle Cosplay

Blasphemy Blue
01-19-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm soon going to begin sewing a costume of Howl from HMC, and I'll be putting some questions here.

First, I have a question regarding hair; I have shoulder-blade length hair in a buttercream blonde (the same color as Howl's, as of this Tuesday) and will have the choppy bangs as well, but I don't want to cut my hair any shorter than it already is for other cosplay reasons. Do you think this length will affect the general quality of the cosplay, or could it just be a bit of an exaggeration on the fact that the length and style of his hair change throughout the movie multiple times?

Thank you in advance for your valued comments and assistance,

~Blasphemy Blue~

GabrielDarkhawk
01-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't think it would be too much of a problem. :) You could always say Sophie messed with your bathroom shelves again. ^_~

I'm debating doing HMC cosplay sometime myself...though not sure if I want to do something more based off the anime or book. Or maybe a combination...but I think I'd do some version of Howl. (nods) Anyways, hope this helps and good luck!

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Thank you for your suggestion- I actually didn't think of that excuse, but it's absolutely perfect! ^_^ Good luck if you do a Howl cosplay; I'm a bit of an obsessive quilter, so when I saw his jacket in the first scene it was my new goal in life to make the great Quilted Coat.

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Just the thought of HMC makes me want to cosplay Calcifer. XP But I'm not sure how I'd do that

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 06:32 PM
A very large and well planned wire frame and some fabric? Carry around a log or something dressed all in orange, perhaps.... Suddenly I have a temptation to make one of my friends do that to accompany me.

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Now I really need to. No matter how difficult, I must do it. Yay for random inspiration. ^^

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm going to sew a Calcifer plushie for my costume. If you check my gallery, I'll upload some poor-quality pictures of the massive hellhound I sewed for my PunkLoli Integral costume. Adorable fluffy thing, but so many people glomped the poor beast that it ended up with a few seams ripped by the end of the con...

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 10:04 PM
That's a good idea. My friend's super good at plushies. I need to make him teach me how to sew. I can feel my list growing. Now I also want to cosplay Sophie's little scarecrow buddy.

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 10:11 PM
One thing about a Calcifer plush I wouldn't be able to resist; I'd be horribly tempted to chuck it at people. Like dodgeball with a fluffy fire demon plushie or something...

EDIT: Put the hellhound pictures in my gallery, by the way

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh god, if somebody chucked one at me, I'd pull a whole "OMG I'M DYINGGG! FIRE! IT BURNSSS!" Thing.

ETA: Haha, it's so kyooot! Is that a wittle kitty I spy above it?

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
My sketches for the plush scream 'projectile'. xD Perhaps I'm just insane, but yes, I love throwing things at people, despite the fact my aim is horrid.

The question is, what fabric should I use? Classic plushie material, fur, or otherwise? I don't want him to be too fuzzy, as I plan to give him eyes and such with embroidery...

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
I love projectile objects. I happen to have good aim, so it doesn't happen much unless I wish death from my friends.

You could use classic material and put felt on the outside, but that's just me. I have a slight felt fetish. XD

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Yesh, that little kitten is my baby Oriya. I call her my Calcifer Kitty, because she has my heart. ~ <3

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
She's adorable! X3 Very tiny-looking.

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I think she was only two months old when that picture was taken... At most three months. She's a petite cat, born at the shelter as the only kitten in her litter. She likes to help me sew by batting the fabric as it goes through the machine. xD

I think I'll go fabric shopping for Calcifer!Plush after I go to the quilting store to buy fabric for howl's coat...

Quarab58
01-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Awww, my kitten's like that. Petite. She was soo small when we got her, but after a couple years, she still looks like a baby.

Wow, just thinking about fabric shopping makes me wonder whether I want a job at the bookstore... or the fabric store. The choices.

Blasphemy Blue
01-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I spend my weekends in the summers working at the Renaissance Festival here, but I'm looking for a job during the week as well this year. Cosplay is such an expensive hobby, and employee discounts would be lovely if I got a job at JoAnn's or Great American Quilt.

Quarab58
01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Gosh, I wish we had a Renaissance Festival, but I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Employee discounts are always lovely, though. Better than Dunkin' Donuts.

Blasphemy Blue
01-22-2007, 04:21 PM
YES

Win. I have the stuff I need to make my Howl earrings. I'm happy.

Blasphemy Blue
01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I have pictures of the earrings I made today in my jewelry album, if anyone wishes to see them.

Sako-chan
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I was just considering a Sophie Cosplay. ^^ Or a Witch of the Waste, but I have a slight problem on my end. No sewing experience. xD So, this'll be my first adventure into cosplaying. Luckily, she doesn't look all that difficult. I wanted to try Howl, but the bangles and quilting terrified me. ^^; Love your earrings, by the way. -steals- Might you live anywhere near Florida? I'd love to meet up with you at Anime South.

Blasphemy Blue
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I live in Colorado, but I'm trying to go to more than just the local convention this year. AX would be great, or Otakon.... I'm dreaming big, but it would be amazing either way.

Quarab58
01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
@Sako-chan: Meh, I don't have any sewing experience either. That's why I've been practicing away. Alright, maybe I've only sewn a little bird-like-thing, but I think it counts. Anyways, good luck! ^^

@Blasphemy Blue: Awesome earings! :X I loff them!

pmastamonkmonk
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
make a sign that says "looking for new maid. One that doesn't clean bathrooms"

:3 people will get the joke if they've seen the movie. If they haven't seen the movie, then they're communists! :o

Quarab58
01-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I love it. (Even though it took me a minute to get) XD

totemo_oishii
01-25-2007, 09:31 PM
i've always wanted to cosplay one of those howl/haku clones (haha, i'm not sure if they have a proper name)
http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/HowlsMovingCastle/movie.ws/13?w=1400&h=757

that would be cute, don't you think?
if you cosplay howl you can use the same wig. ^__^

t3mP0raRy
01-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I just saw the movie and i absolutely love it. One of these days i'm going to dress up as Howl

Blasphemy Blue
01-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I have a friend who will dye her hair and paint her entire body orange for my Calcifer. xD

Quarab58
01-26-2007, 11:39 PM
O_O If I had a friend like that, I'd chain them to a chair so they'd never get away. The awesomeness.

Blasphemy Blue
01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Megan is my lover (Calcifer). She pwns my heart. XD And soul.