PDA

View Full Version : Is this con worth going?

maggifan
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
i was just wondering if its worth going to this con....

jtnishi
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
If you're a fan of Japanese & Asian music, then arguably yes, it's totally worth going. Outside of those, it's harder to say. It runs on a small size for a convention, so if you like a quieter scene, PMX is a great choice. There hasn't been enough consistency from program year to program year, except in music, to be able to say anything about how any particular track of the program will be in the future. For example, in 2006, if you were an EGL fan, PMX was nearly "must go".

From a cosplay perspective, it's comparable to the regular level events around So. Cal. So take that as you may.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I'd agree with jtnishi on the size remark. It's a well-funded event, but still manages to be relatively low-key and modest, which is a huge plus for me.

And the inconsistency of the programming I think is fun. It makes each year different.

On another note, sometimes it doesnt even matter how well organized, or interesting a convention can be; if you're with the right people, anywhere can be fun.

linkluver6
01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
my first time was last year
and I had a blast
it was a bit more personable because of the size
like the karaoke didnt take an hour
and the dance room wasnt too crowded
it was a nice little vacation at such a time in the year
when people usually have no vacation

one of the funny parts is that
all of the non con people thought it was a giant halloween party because of the all of the costumes hee hee

but the lobby was crowded all night long so I didnt really get to bored

Super No 1
01-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm a real fan of Asian pop culture and that's why I really enjoy this con. Last year's music program was amazing and it looks as though the Japanese record labels want to bring their performers to PMX. So, if your a fan of Asian pop music, you'd probably like this con. This convention has elements of an anime con, but it adds in a lot of other things that make it different. If you're used to standard anime conventions, you might find it strange, but I happen to like all that other stuff.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm a real fan of Asian pop culture and that's why I really enjoy this con. Last year's music program was amazing and it looks as though the Japanese record labels want to bring their performers to PMX. So, if your a fan of Asian pop music, you'd probably like this con. This convention has elements of an anime con, but it adds in a lot of other things that make it different. If you're used to standard anime conventions, you might find it strange, but I happen to like all that other stuff.

Very concise.

PMX isnt just some run-of-the-mill anime con, and thats a major plus for me.

You can get a little star-stuck too. In 2004, I actually ran into both, TMR and Yoshiki *who was there as an attendant, believe it or not*. Pretty nifty, if you're into that sorta thing.

JoeyWheeler
02-18-2007, 12:36 PM
i met the creator of FMA and got his autograph (i think it was the creator) at pmx 2004. the one problem i had was that nobody knew what character i was...even though i had a duel disk on =(

Cadmium Polyphony
02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
the one problem i had was that nobody knew what character i was...even though i had a duel disk on =(

Wait....lemme guess...dont tell me.......Richard Pryor?

KikyouLuver
02-25-2007, 01:59 AM
i loved this con...i loved it alot..its small...and to me very worth going to...its a good chance to meet people and get together for future cons..not to mension get some extra photos in or cosplay and old costume you never have....so ill keep going.

ItsIna
03-04-2007, 10:16 PM
This con was really, really awesome and definately worth going. It was fun because most of the time there was always something going on, like some good anime playing, or a concert or panel or whatever, but when there wasn't you could just go and hang out in the lobby, because EVERYONE was there. And the masquerade wasn't super long or super crowded, and alot of the people you met there you saw more than once, so if you missed your chance to take their picture or something you always had a chance to do it again. Plus the hotel was nicely laid out, and everything wasn't spread out all over the place like ALA. I had alot of fun both on Saturday and Sunday. OH and you can't forget that Carls' Jr. was right down the block, and anyone who's anyone eats there. XD

So yeah it was great, definately worth going to and not even that expensive. ^^

JoeyWheeler
03-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Wait....lemme guess...dont tell me.......Richard Pryor?

no.. :blubber: joey wheeler from Yu-Gi-Oh!

Taka9
04-07-2007, 04:40 AM
The First PMX was great with music guest, even taking full advantage of the ACC Arena for TM Revolution's concert. PLC and Dragon Ash were there too..

The Second PMX had mainly local bands no one knew.. They did have some "Fairy Empire" Duo (cant remember the real name, but thats the translation XD) I liked the local bands.

The Third one had Oliva and Noiz, but Im not interested in either group lol. The Con was really small by this time though..

It gets smaller and smaller every year ACC-> LBCC-> LAX Hilton. I hope they can re-amp and bring better music guest again. GazettE Please?

Super No 1
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
The First PMX was great with music guest, even taking full advantage of the ACC Arena for TM Revolution's concert. PLC and Dragon Ash were there too..

The Second PMX had mainly local bands no one knew.. They did have some "Fairy Empire" Duo (cant remember the real name, but thats the translation XD) I liked the local bands.

The Third one had Oliva and Noiz, but Im not interested in either group lol. The Con was really small by this time though..

It gets smaller and smaller every year ACC-> LBCC-> LAX Hilton.

Dragon Ash was at the first PMX? Silver Ash was supposed to play, but they didn't make it because of visa problems.

Anyways, the last statement is a little misleading. While the venue for PMX has become smaller, the con definitely grew between years 2 and 3. "Small" is a relative term. Compared to AX, PMX, or anything else for that matter, is small. Compared to Animagic, PMX is huge. Anime LA this year had close to 1800 and it seemed packed because the venue was really small. PMX had more people than Anime LA. I think an attendance figure or 1800 was what PMX had for year 2 at LBCC but because the venue was so huge, it didn't seem like it. For a convention of this size, ACC and LBCC are too big and expensive.

It's going to be at LAX Hilton again this year on Nov. 9-11. It's three days this time. That's according to the flyer I picked up in Little Tokyo last weekend.

Maguma
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
wonderful. I can't wait to go again, I had a lot of fun

Ameme
04-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I agree with what most people say. I've been to PMX twice- once in its founding year when it was at the Anaheim con center, and once last year, when it was a lot smaller.

My contribution is that it's a really good con to go to if you have a big group of friends go, too. Everything is pretty tiny, too- if you're used to big dealer's halls, artists alleys, and masquerades, then this will be a shock. X3 There were like.. maybe 10 booths in the dealer's hall last year.

The masquerade was really fun, though, it was really personal. I also thought the PMX staff was great. Basically, it's very personal, very music-focused, and you'll either be really engaged or really bored, depending on how you do conventions. I admit, it did get a little slow at times, but it was still a lot of fun and I'll probably go again this year. :3

Maguma
04-14-2007, 07:04 AM
I agree with what most people say. I've been to PMX twice- once in its founding year when it was at the Anaheim con center, and once last year, when it was a lot smaller.

My contribution is that it's a really good con to go to if you have a big group of friends go, too. Everything is pretty tiny, too- if you're used to big dealer's halls, artists alleys, and masquerades, then this will be a shock. X3 There were like.. maybe 10 booths in the dealer's hall last year.

The masquerade was really fun, though, it was really personal. I also thought the PMX staff was great. Basically, it's very personal, very music-focused, and you'll either be really engaged or really bored, depending on how you do conventions. I admit, it did get a little slow at times, but it was still a lot of fun and I'll probably go again this year. :3Huzzah!! can't wait to see ya there!

but yea PMX is a total 180 of most cons, very small but lots of fun. I'd suggest you at least bring about 2 or 3 friends for when it gets a bit slow so you have something to do. Also the hotel has some good photospots, especially the staircase hehe

inuashley
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Huzzah!! can't wait to see ya there!

but yea PMX is a total 180 of most cons, very small but lots of fun. I'd suggest you at least bring about 2 or 3 friends for when it gets a bit slow so you have something to do. Also the hotel has some good photospots, especially the staircase hehe

I love how when any of my friends talk about PMX, it's always about the yaoi gathering on the stairs XD Don't even get me started with those stairs, haha ^^;;