PDA

View Full Version : Pleather?

Oshi
08-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Someone clarify exactly what this "pleather" stuff is...
I went to JoAnns for a leather-like material, and the only thing they claim to have had was vinyl (which I got, and it's working just fine)
Just wanna know what it is for future reference...

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 01:49 AM
Pleather is short for plastic leather. It's similar to vinyl, but usually has a matte leather like finish. (I usually associate vinyl with being really shiny)

It's great to work with, at least in small quantities. It cuts really easily. It's a little expensive though, about $8 / yard and up.

Hope that helps!

Nietsche
08-17-2002, 08:32 AM
eh? Pleather i always thought stood for patent leather...but i could be wrong!

Anyway..it's what he/she said above it's an imitation leather made similarly to vinyls. It can come in heavy (thick) and light (thin but still much thicker than vinyl) forms, heavy used mainly for upholstery and furnishings while the light form can be used for jackets and other clothing. If you are gonna be sewing lots for clothing then I would advise that you try to find the light stuff because the thick stuff will kill your fingers (if hand sewing) unless your sewing machine can handle it!

Lillyxandra
08-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know where I could find a dark purple pleather fabric?

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 12:29 PM
>Anyway..it's what he/she said above ..

She ^_^ Good thing they added the gender option to the profile.

Lily, try the rag shop, the one I used had many different colors of pleather, but I don't remember purple.

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 01:05 PM
> Does anyone know where I could find a dark purple pleather fabric?

Someone will probably mention spandexhouse.com to which I say: NOOOOOOOOOOO! They have the color but the quality is awful and the vinyl peels off the backing. My Atziluth uniform is ruined because of bad quality vinyl.

Koumori
08-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Is there anyplace you *would* recommend, Rosiel? You've probably had more experience with the stuff than most, and I could use a reliable source for it too.. *grumble*... damn j-rockers...

Shadra D
08-17-2002, 09:46 PM
OHYEAH ><;; PLEATHER!

My Kurai dress was sewn completely of the stuff, bought from JoAnn's fabric. It is labeled as vinyl, but it looks just like leather, so it's pleather. And getting it there is CHEAP. Good stuff, too, doesn't fall apart, but some of the fuzzy backing might pearl up and it gets annoying when it sticks to your needle >_> I got 5 yards for $10

I've seen it there in various shades, from black, to grey, to white and green and brown. Never seen purple, sadly, you're more likely to find that in actual vinyl, and sadly, not at JoAnn's.

And, by the way... You will probably end up sewing all of it by hand, breaking countless pins and needles, and generally smelling like it for a few weeks. It's tough work (pushing a needle through 15 layers of the stuff at points.. Augh.), but worth it. It's a little more forgiving with stuff than normal vinyl because of the cloth backing, I've found, the needle holes where I made a mistake hardly visible.

Just be prepared to sweat horribly underneath it all ~_~;

Oshi
08-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Hm.. I got vinyl at JoAnns for... *rummages for the reciept* ...$6.99/yd O.o Well... this isn't the stuff with the fuzzy backing. This is more leatherlike. And it runs through the machine like normal fabric. Maybe I just have a good machine O.o;;

Shadra D
08-18-2002, 05:00 AM
*steals your sewing machine* Well, admittedly, I didn't even try to sew the dress on the machine.. it's old, after all, and I'm quite sure it could not handle it.

But yes, I got my 5 yard pieces from the biiiig table COVERED in upholstry fabric. There's some good stuff in there if you look!

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 12:37 PM
> Is there anyplace you *would* recommend, Rosiel?

THE place used to be fabricgallery.com, $10 a yard and the best stuff I ever worked with. The problem is that I think they went bankrupt since they don't answer their emails anymore.

I am looking for a new reliable place to get good quality pleather/vinyl that isn't $20 a yard. When I do I will pass it on.

> It is labeled as vinyl, but it looks just like leather, so it's pleather.

Well I have seen your dress and that's more like upholstery kind which is why it was so hard on your needles btw. (And from your latter post it was)

Avoid using upholstery vinyl it's a lot harder to sew and does not drape as well for clothes (it's stiffer)

> It's a little more forgiving with stuff than normal vinyl because of the cloth backing, I've found

I've never seen any without cloth backing. The best kind has spandex-like backing which means you don't even need to line it.

Carmila
08-19-2002, 03:03 PM
If you have a Hancock frabric near by then you can get some crazy color pleathers for 4.99 a yard. Also look for sales, sometimes they run a 25% off. I just picked up this really nice black/dark gold pleather for 3.45 a yard that I am going to use for a "formal" dress!

Unlike most of their fabrics on bolts, their pleather comes on a roll much like decorator fabric.

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 03:10 PM
> If you have a Hancock frabric near by then you can get some crazy color pleathers for 4.99 a yard.

But what's the quality?
Is it stiff or supple? Does it stretch well? If you poke a hole in it does it show? Pull on the fabric with the hole in it, does it look like it could tear?

Those are important factors, because machine stitching consists of lots of very close holes, which means lower quality vinyl will tear at the seams or split where there is too much stress.

You want to get good quality vinyl (don't be cheap) especially if sewing PANTS *riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip* or anything tights.

Otherwise your costume will only last a day.

Shadra D
08-19-2002, 03:14 PM
But it was cheeeeaaapp! So I was a walking couch with wings! LMAO, they had nothing else >D

There's a Hancock Fabrics on the other side of Durham, actually... maybe I'll go drop by there to look at fabric for upcoming costumes and look at this REAL pleather >D

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 03:22 PM
> But it was cheeeeaaapp! So I was a walking couch with wings! LMAO, they had nothing else >D

Of course but you had a dress... if you needed to work on something tighter, more fitted, it would not have worked as well as vinyl made for garments. ^__^

> maybe I'll go drop by there to look at fabric for upcoming costumes and look at this REAL pleather >D

Tell me about the pleather quality... I'm looking for high quality non-textured violet, in order to make an OAV version Atziluth uniform. And if they have some dark red I'd be in heaven too!

Carmila
08-19-2002, 04:23 PM
I am not sure how you would rate the quality, but I think it is great. A nice weight, doesn't look cheap or stupid and has just a bit of stretch. If you ask me it is nice, but I am not sure what colors it all comes in. I know it came in lime green/white, black/red, black/purple, and black/goldish.

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 04:48 PM
If anybody has a big budget costume, and wants some REALLY NICE pleather (actually they got ticked when I called it that), I know a place that has some that's really fantastic. Feels like leather. They also have fake suede, super nice. The downside is I believe it's $50 a yard. They do have a variety of colors though, including bright ones. So, if anyone needs it, let me know . . .

Carmila
08-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Man, for prices like that I would just go hit the Fabric Wholesale Markets in Atlanta. Then I could buy some real leather that is a decent grain for that much!

HuongStar
08-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Ack...that's somewhat close to the price of my Lulu fabric but the weight, look, and feel of it makes it all the worthwhile. ^_^ Just try not to think about that HOLE in your wallet....

Nietsche
08-19-2002, 05:40 PM
when you ask for non-textured Rasiel, is it that glossy stuff you want cos most pleathers i have seen have at least some texture on it or it just looks like noraml vinyl...

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 05:53 PM
> when you ask for non-textured Rosiel, is it that glossy stuff you want cos most pleathers i have seen have at least some texture on it or it just looks like noraml vinyl...

I guess I should have labelled it "vinyl" as opposed to patent leather. ^_______^ It's generally mixed together in stores so I didn't differentiate.

Nietsche
08-19-2002, 06:27 PM
Now it makes sense! Thanks for clarifying Rosiel! Ugh! That thick vinyl stuff with the fuzzy backing feels nasty. It has an oily feel to it and I'm sure working with it for few hours was the reason I got really sick while I was staying with a friend in Vegas!

Right on a more general note, I find the thicker, upholstery pleather/vinyl/patent leather/imitation leather/faux leather (I have heard all these being used too) is useful for those leather armours, skirt armour, shin guards, shoulder guards and knee guards (Ryudo's skirt was made of pleather segments covered with dark green suedette then sewn together)

The slightly thick but quite soft stuff that feel ever so slight ly spongy was the base for my Orphen jacket...it was still a pain to sew due to having to sew through 4 to 6 layers at certain points, but the results are great and the thing didn't even need lining.
For belts I would advise using a thin leather and back it with thin foam strips..this gives the belt a good belt thickness but none of the difficulty of sewing through tough hide!

The thin pleather is really nice for jackets and trousers and sews far more easily than that thick stuff. My most ambitious project was Rock's (Mark of the wolves) jacket (It even had the zippers on the sleeves!) with it's mix of red white and black pleathers..for that I used thin pleather and then sewed the black pleather strips onto the hem. In the end I decide not to double over the fabric since it was 1. extremely punishing to my fingers and 2. The fabric doesn't fray easily if not at all. I then lined the whole thing with white charmeuse satin for a lovely silky feel.

Incidentally if anyone wants a pleather Rock Howard jacket I have learnt how to make them and willing to make for other people! ^^

I am surprised to hear that good quality vinyl costs so much over there..I normally get my supply from London (probably the most expensive place in the UK but they have a good variety of stock) and they do soft vinyl/pleather for about $25 a metre and in certain places (commonly market stalls) I have often seen them at about $10 a metre...

Koumori
08-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Yeah, it's been my experience that the fabric supply in the UK is a lot more varied and versatile than the fabric supply here. I couldn't agree more about the thick stuff with the knit-type backing.. it looks all right, but it stretched more than I wanted it to when I was stitching it (using it as trim). Next time I'd see about putting some kind of backing on it to keep it from stretching - ordinarily I'd say fusible, but with plastic that probably isn't a good idea.

One tip I've heard for sewing PVC and pleather is to use a longer stitch length - supposedly this puts less tension on the seam and makes it less likely to tear. I'd also want a good durable seam finish, maybe even flat felled, if I were using the thin PVC-type stuff.