PDA

View Full Version : North American cons

shiroin
01-25-2007, 12:27 AM
For those who have been to both Asian cons and North American cons:

How are they different?
I have been to cons in Taiwan and Japan but have not been to any in North America. I plan to attend Anime Central in May and would like to know the differences so I will not get too surprised and will act accordingly to North American con etiquette.

Danzikumaru
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM

There are differences in how cosplay contests are run, I know that much. American contests are much more craftsmanship oriented.

Sipo
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
I have never been to a convention outside of the US, but I've read magazines and watched footage, so of course, I have the media on my side! :P (Haha...)

Judging by the appearance of Asian cosplayers and conventions, I would disagree that American cosplay contests are more craftmanship oriented. From what I have heard, material is costly in Japan, for example, and if I am paying a lot of money for material, I want to be very careful and thorough with what I am making! In Cosmode mag, they advertise websites for wigs, and cosplays, and to me, there is a lot of quality.

Cosplay and anime are so much more known in Japan than in America however, so the fact that wigs are nicer may be because they are made FOR cosplayers, while here, the wigs aren't typically made for cosplay. (They need to be coloured, cut, styled, etc.)

That's not to say there is no quality here, but there is definitely a lot of diversity in opinions, in craftmanship, and just about everything. Just go to Anime Expo and you can witness it for youself. That is a great taste of an American-styled convention.

When it all comes down to it: relax and have a good time. I've found that at conventions is the best time to be yourself. (As cheesy as that may sound! lol)

Danzikumaru
01-25-2007, 02:50 AM
I have never been to a convention outside of the US, but I've read magazines and watched footage, so of course, I have the media on my side! :P (Haha...)

Judging by the appearance of Asian cosplayers and conventions, I would disagree that American cosplay contests are more craftmanship oriented. From what I have heard, material is costly in Japan, for example, and if I am paying a lot of money for material, I want to be very careful and thorough with what I am making! In Cosmode mag, they advertise websites for wigs, and cosplays, and to me, there is a lot of quality.

Cosplay and anime are so much more known in Japan than in America however, so the fact that wigs are nicer may be because they are made FOR cosplayers, while here, the wigs aren't typically made for cosplay. (They need to be coloured, cut, styled, etc.)

That's not to say there is no quality here, but there is definitely a lot of diversity in opinions, in craftmanship, and just about everything. Just go to Anime Expo and you can witness it for youself. That is a great taste of an American-styled convention.

When it all comes down to it: relax and have a good time. I've found that at conventions is the best time to be yourself. (As cheesy as that may sound! lol)

I meant more so in our contests. Cosplay contests in Japan are rarely decided on the actual craftsmanship, tis why the very good crafstpeople of Japan's cosplay scene go over seas to compete. Most cosplay contests in Japan put more emphasis on "presentation" and "fitting the part". Those are in quotations for a reason...

Hikaruchan
01-25-2007, 04:53 AM
I don't know Taiwan cons, but have read about a lot of Japanese cons only allow cosplay in small dedicated area and costumes not allowed in rest of con. Also, they don't want you to arrive in costume - you change onsite in shared dressing rooms.

North American cons would be a totally different beast compared to that. Cosplayers show up and leave in costume, roam halls and may even go offsite to eat in costume. Have read some Japan cons don't have contest, its just a photo pit of costumers whereas almost all North American cons have at least one contest if not more - so a lot more costume changes would be happening here.