PDA

View Full Version : contacts how they can screw up

Youkai_1991
01-25-2007, 11:14 PM
hey I just bought some contacts on the net recently and my contacts I have now are really screwd up. Ive had them for 5 years and never had a problum untill a mounth ago they started to hurt like hell once i put them in my eye. back when I bought these i didnt need a script abd just got them from the market (I have had an eye exam not to long ago). so can anyone tell me is it becouse the contacts are old or are my eyes being retarded

Kanira
01-26-2007, 01:25 AM
This thread really doesn't belong here.
But anyway, all of the instructions for contacts, colored, regular, prescription or otherwise that I've ever read have all said the same thing: only recommended for use of up to one year.
So maybe you got insanely lucky; either way, might want to take it up with an optometrist.

Suzaku7NoMiko
01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
5 years sounds like way too long to be using the same pair of lenses....theres probably alot of protein buildup on them by now and i wouldnt recommend putting them in your eyes again!

Has your vision changed at all when you went to the eye doctor? If so you'd need to change your lens prescription!

Raiji Magiwind
02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Besides the fact this topic being potentialy in the worng place.....

5 Years is personaly too long. I hear my optomitrist raise hell on it frequently. At most a pair of regular perscription contacts (disposable softs) are good for 2 weeks if worn daily with solution changed daily; up to 30 days if kept in the case, and solution changed at least 3 times a week if worn infrequently; and for special color or FX lenses, up to a year at most, with the solution changed weekly. If the solution you use doeesn't have a protien remover in it, purchase the stuff seperatly and let the lenses sit in your case with the regular solution mixed with the protien remover. You may need to do more then once. You usually have to let it sit overnight.

Of course also definatly go to your optomitrist as soon as you can, and have your eyes checked for perscription change, but also checked for infection or corneal abrasions or other eye ouchies. Have them do a full eye checkup with a dilation (which means you would have to wear the wonderful ghetto sunglasses for about 3-5 hours after so you don't go blind from the sun or bright light), but it allows to better check for abrasion or deeper eye woes. Don't wear any contacts till you do, if you can, and probably a wise move would be replace all your soulution, rewetting/lubricating drops and cases, since they can harbor ickies if not cleaned out regularly. I myself wash them out at least every other week with a glyceran soap and very hot water, then air dry them. Also watch the soap you use for washing your hands. I found a unscented glycerin soap is best and use a seperate towel for your use to dry your hands or use paper towel to avoid having other soaps of unplesent stuff your other family, or other persons living in the house might use, cause when that sort of stuff gets on your contacts then can cause pain as well.

BaraChan Rei
02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
I got some red FX contacts for my Ayanami cosplay from my optometrist, and he said that at the rate I was planning on wearing them (4 days out of a year) I could keep them for 5 years as long as I cleaned them thoroughly before and after I put them on, and that I only had to change the solution once a month.
Of course this was 6 years ago and I just got new red contacts last summer. But persistent pain when you put contacts in should NOT happen, so throw those puppies away and get some new ones!

InkyLink
02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
hey I just bought some contacts on the net recently and my contacts I have now are really screwd up. Ive had them for 5 years and never had a problum untill a mounth ago they started to hurt like hell once i put them in my eye. back when I bought these i didnt need a script abd just got them from the market (I have had an eye exam not to long ago). so can anyone tell me is it becouse the contacts are old or are my eyes being retarded

Yeah, all of the above reasons not to wear them apply, not to mention they might have a really tiny rip. Or if you have been using self clean contact solution it might have been deteriorating them over time. Time to get new ones, lol. -InkyLink

kkoganei1328
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
five years is waaaaaaayyyy too long

the hurting may be due the changes in the curvature of your eyes, or.......because the contacts were damaged somehow.

BlueRose
02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
There could be many causes to it, it could possibly be an eye abrasion. Have you slept with ur contacts on?

Yeah, just buy new contacts if anything. If its an eye abrasion go to your optometrist, he might prescribe you eye drops like I once had, a combination of antibiotic + steroid. It was like 87.00 for the drops.