PDA

View Full Version : Making the most out of my Digital Camera

rednecko
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a new 5 megapixel camera that doesn't have a zoom on it. I want to make the most out of it since I want to take pictures at NYCC and other cons down the line without photo processing fees. What are some tips for the person who is new with a digital camera?

jtnishi
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM
The tips are the same as they always are: practice first. Get a good feel for your camera as much as you can. Try to learn what your camera can do, and more importantly what it can't do. Without zoom, you'll have to learn to be flexible about moving around for your shot. And of course, have fun with it. ^_~

ZiggyB
01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
What jtnishi said.

Also I have a pretty expensive camera with a fixed lens. (30mm/f1.4) prime lens. So I choose not to use zoom even though I do have a zoom lens.

And you can still do a lot. I'd say practice with different angles, tilts and maybe lighting (inside and outside) until you're comfortable using your new camera.

shiro_hikaru
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
with alot of automatic digitals, people will actually refuse/prefer not to use the zoom. From my experience the zoom creates alot of noise on your image making the image unclear almost. So don't think you're missing out simply because you don't have zoom.

Along with zoom I don't even like using my flash, I will always try to do without even if it means bringing in another light source, flashes on automatics IMO are very harsh and because it's directly aimed at the subject it makes it all that much harder to diffuse it.

Besides I much prefer using my macro setting more then anything on my camera.

agent_airline
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree with everything above me. Macro setting without flash, on a sunny day will usually look beautiful!

I know its tempting to save space on a memory card by setting the camera to shoot at a lower quality, but if you keep it at the highest quality setting, you can do more image editting. Using photoshop well can enhance almost any hi-res image.

sklathill
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
No one's mentioned this yet, but I think a tripod is the biggest thing you can do to keep picture quality high. With a tripod, you can use lower sensitivities since you can use lower shutter speeds letting more light onto the sensor. All those little sensors in those small digicams can churn out image resolution and dynamic range that rivals SLRs when they are working with lots of light. When you're indoors, that tripod could be the difference between ISO 50 and ISO 400: clean detail and noisy mess in the final image.

Chigusa-Chan
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I prefer a digital camera because what if I don't like the picture, then I can delete it. YAY FOR TECHNOLOGY!!!!

Spetsnaz
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Like everyone said, practice helps.

But also another thing is great. Read the manual!

I did not really read into the manual for my old camera (only 2.0 MP) and one day I managed to pick it up and read through it. IT BLEW MY MIND of the settings that were available and I had no clue about. I changed my camera's settings and with even just a 2.0 MP camera, I was taking AWESOME pictures.

xxLucyxx
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
For photography reasons I love my 35mm camera. I espeacially love using black and white photo film. But, that wont help you at a convention. I would say try to get an add on lens and practice your zoom that way. Or you can always practice getting close-ups of different things in your room until you get your pictures just right. Then when you go to a convention you can ask to get a close-up of the face or a full body picture. And you may want to ask about close-ups a friend of mine got to close to a cosplayer and got punched. I guess it is safe to say the cosplayer was uncomfortable with him hovering over her with the lens in her face. :)

SolarTempest
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Yup, take tons of pictures!

Some concise but possible extremely helpful tips for digital shooting can be found here:
Digital Photography Tips by ACD Systems (http://www.acdsee.com/community/articles/phototips/index).
(ACD Systems developed the ACDSee software that many digital cameras use)