PDA

View Full Version : What did you all think of the masquerade?

linkluver6
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
this has go to be one of the best ones I have seen!

I enjoyed all of it!:rockon:

I was laughing right and left

my favorites would have to be

the wii one with the Legend of Zelda of course
an amazing idea

the naruto one with orochimaru trying to lure sasuke from naruto

the atatsuki one rocked as well
it was a brillant idea!

congrads to everyone who participated because it was very enjoyable
and definitely worth waiting in line for

Michi
01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I wish I could have seen more of it. T_T I was the last skit and there was no way I was waiting backstage that whole time in the freezing cold in my little dress and stockings. :P But I really loved what I saw, and there were some amazing costumes backstage!

hojou
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
It was alright.

inuashley
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I saw all the entries last night from my mom's camcorder after ALA ^^ I was the Itachi in the skit "Akatsuki's Day Off". I liked the Ouran H.S. Host club skit where they danced to the backstreet boys. ^^ I also liked the Naruto skit "Don't talk to strangers". I have every entry in the masquerade on video(from the front row yay!) so I will be getting those up in a few weeks. ^^

LadyAmaryllis
01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I thought this Masquerade was excellent. Definitely one of the best I have ever seen, which I didn't expect! XD

Both of the Ouran skits were fantastic, I loved the Wii one, the Hardgay one was hysterical, the Tsubasa costumes were freaking gorgeous and their skit was funny too, the Orc summoning Pikachu was really clever, and omg, seeing that many Sailor Moon characters on stage at once was exciting enough, and then they started singing "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Usagi". That was incredibly sweet, I loved it. Then the Idolmaster people were amazing - they must have rehearsed soooo much *_*

Anyway, there were lots of great skits, too many to mention. Even the walk-ons were great - Four Seasons Princess Zelda? Awesome! And that Emerald from Sailor Moon was fantastic, too. My inner Sailor Moon villain fangirl was squealing. Oh, and the Loli Link! *melts into happy puddle*

I had been frustrated by a long day of costume malfunctions and scary con security, and the Masquerade made up for all of that. Thank you so much to the performers and the masquerade staff! =D

EDIT: And props to the host! I had no idea who that guy was, but he was really funny, and said just enough. He didn't dominate but he wasn't boring either. I thought he really did a great job.

Brittknee
01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
First off, I'd like to give a big shout out to everyone who joined me in Chatroom A on there DS's. I was "Bee!" It was awesome chatting with you guys! DS Party, wOOt!

There was some well done and well put together skits this year. The Okage group was amazing, I'm glad they won Best in Show. Anyone know the song they played during the skit? I loved it and want to download it :D.

All in all, great job everyone!

DJ Zephyr
01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
LOL Chatroom B

I was DJ Azure, with all of the crazy /b/ ish comments

I'm still sad Hard Gay didn't win...

HatakeNeko
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
ALA '07 was actually the first masquerade I attended, it was just amazing seeing all these people perform! Wow! Despite the freaking long waiting and endless AMV replay, it was awesome! Tadao was hilarious too!

Reno_kun
01-30-2007, 01:28 AM
I loved everyone's skit and I't made made me very happy to hear fan's just cheer thier hearts out! I was the summer dreams grease skit. but my fav was my friend loki's and the Wii skit

starlet_flower
01-30-2007, 01:35 AM
AW, you beat me to it, Reno! yes, Loki's skit was fabulous and the Wii skit was hella funny!

Keiran
01-30-2007, 02:58 AM
wooo! I had a blast lookign in on the pictochat (I forgot mine in my backpack =( ) and being a loud holligan.

a lot of really awesome skits. This was the first masq that I sat and watched (instead of participating in) in years, and it was a lot better then i thoguht it was gonna be!

Karisu-sama
01-30-2007, 03:06 AM
While I am sad I missed seeing the first 3 entries (I was still doing workmanship judging), I am very glad I got to enjoy the rest of it. :D There was LOADS of really good stuff onstage this year. :D :D
(41 entries / 116 people total, as a matter of fact. o.O)

Thank gods for the optional afternoon workmanship judging to help spread out the load and give us a chance to spend enough time letting the workmanship entrants describe their work...

And at least NEXT year's Green Room will be indoors, heated, and have better lighting due to the Burbank hotel having larger facilities, yay!

Hasu
01-30-2007, 03:19 AM
You know, the masquerade was great and I had fun (well...not now, 'cause being left outside in the rain gave me a full body flu) but I have one question...has the definition of PG changed? I don't mind for myself, but I know some other people who told me they like smaller cons like ALA because the masquerades aren't like AX or the other big cons where they let almost anything go. Once again, not that I *personally* have a problem with it, but I think maybe they should re-document themselves as PG-13 if they're going to make things like Hard Gay a normal occurence. Just a suggestion. ^^ Think of the children! Maybe I come across as a prude, but when people trust a masquerade not to be like that and it is, I feel bad for them.

Otherwise, it was good. It ran well and people got on and offstage with minimal disaster. Oh, and the food backstage was a great thought. I was in a corset (Loli Link XD) so I couldn't eat anything and it bugged the heck outta me, but it was a great thought none the less. ^^

Ninja_trainee
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm still sad Hard Gay didn't win...

We did win Honorable Mention award... so it wasn't like we Lost.... but we were up agaisnt some real good skits, so I don't feel like we ripped off. Our skit had two minor malfunctions/miscalculations. First, I was standing in front of the Cloud wallscroll the entire time, so not many got the "Sephiroth taking Cloud Wallscroll" joke. Second was Hard Gay was suppose to explode onto the stage, and have those plastic pcv pipes break into 10 pieces.
Honestly, we didn't expect such a loud outpour of cheer for him when he entered. It was very memorable for us, since this was our first time as a group, but my 2nd time on stage at a con.
Im hoping to get a copy of the whole masquerade so that I can watch it in its full entirity and pleasure =D

Karisu-sama
01-30-2007, 03:31 AM
but I think maybe they should re-document themselves as PG-13 if they're going to make things like Hard Gay a normal occurence. Just a suggestion. ^^

Some of the entries cleared any possible iffy "PG-ness" issues in their entries with the Masquerade directors, but a couple of them apparently did not, and the Masquerade Directors were not very happy that these people did not ask beforehand if what they had planned to do was acceptable.

Also I think one of the iffy occurrences that I recall appeared to possibly have been an exuberant (but not well-inspired) ad-lib...

Oh, and BTW Link's bloomer decoration idea especially rocked, even if it was not very audience-visible. XD

Ninja_trainee
01-30-2007, 03:40 AM
You know, the masquerade was great and I had fun (well...not now, 'cause being left outside in the rain gave me a full body flu) but I have one question...has the definition of PG changed? I don't mind for myself, but I know some other people who told me they like smaller cons like ALA because the masquerades aren't like AX or the other big cons where they let almost anything go. Once again, not that I *personally* have a problem with it, but I think maybe they should re-document themselves as PG-13 if they're going to make things like Hard Gay a normal occurence. Just a suggestion. ^^ Think of the children! Maybe I come across as a prude, but when people trust a masquerade not to be like that and it is, I feel bad for them.

I've been asked this a few times actually. If you check on ALA's forum, you would see a post, my post, back on Sun Nov 12, 2006, Post subject: is HG PG? That was when I had the idea to have HG in our skit, but I didn't know if he was considered PG. So I asked. Keven replied with,

"OK -- having viewed the video:
The costume is not a problem; HG's outfit definitely qualifies as PG.
So, that leaves it to you to design the presentation to keep it PG! Remember we have lots of young members and Parents in Tow in the audience... "

Also, during the post masquerade meeting, Kevin and Andy said that they didn't have a problem with our skit, but some others they were concerned with. I don't know what they plan to do... I think its more with the individual group and how they want to try to stay within the boundary.
You'll have to believe me when I say I litterally told my group, "No, we can't do that" to 90% of the stuff they wanted to do because I was concerned it would go past PG. However, with all that said, you're concern are very valid, and I wonder it too.

I forgot who said it during the meeting, but "we're more afraid of the parents who doesn't want their kids to see these things than the kids who have already seen it and the parents doesn't know about it."

Annie-Mei
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
anyone possibly took video? or pics?? would love to see them

Nekobo
01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I was in the Ouran Middle School skit, the one with the giant puppet neko. I felt kinda silly because it was so random, but I'm glad some people thought it was funny. ^_^ I hoped you guys liked my "girly scream".

Oh, here's a shout out to my UCLA Anime Club Ouran Host Club (they did the boyband skit)...you guys r0x0rs! They won best performance and something for craftsmanship. Kudos~

Hazel Chaz
01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
EDIT: And props to the host! I had no idea who that guy was, but he was really funny, and said just enough. He didn't dominate but he wasn't boring either. I thought he really did a great job.
Our emcee was our Toastmaster, Tadao Tomomatsu. You may have seen him as the NYPD Japanese Translator on an episode of HEROES. He also was "Mr. Shake-Hands Man" on BANZAI TV.

Now you know why we keep inviting him back...

wooo! I had a blast lookign in on the pictochat (I forgot mine in my backpack =( ) and being a loud holligan.
I assume you mean you were part of the whooping and hollering before the masquerade started? We heard you guys. :)

On the other hand, I wish we'd caught the hecklers. Remember, the ladies up there deserve to be treated like ladies, regardless of how they're dressed; and "gay" is not a pejorative. And rudeness is not excused by the lights being turned off.

Thank gods for the optional afternoon workmanship judging to help spread out the load and give us a chance to spend enough time letting the workmanship entrants describe their work...

And at least NEXT year's Green Room will be indoors, heated, and have better lighting due to the Burbank hotel having larger facilities, yay!
So for next year, if we can have the Green Room set aside all day for your use for workmanship judging, would that work? Did you do any Friday stuff with the room we had for you guys?

Oh, here's a shout out to my UCLA Anime Club Ouran Host Club (they did the boyband skit)...you guys r0x0rs! They won best performance and something for craftsmanship. Kudos~
They were a lot of fun. Speaking of the UCLA Anime Club, the group membership form we got didn't have individual addresses for the members who signed up that way. Please pass on the word that we'd be delighted to send out postcards to their proper addresses; if any of them want to send us a corrected address for the "join next year" postcards, send it to flyers at animelosangeles dot org. Of course, anyone we don't hear from, we'll just send them c/o the Glenrock Avenue address...

Michi
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
anyone possibly took video? or pics?? would love to see them

There are some pics up in a few galleries, and I know the masquerade was taped and some videos will probably be up on YouTube soonish. :3

HybridTwist
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
All in all, I think the Masquerade for this year was really good. There were a lot of awesome skits people had and even some fantastic costumes (like the Dynasty Warriors 5 group and the Ragnarok Online 2 guy for example). The only part that seemed boring was just waiting for the judging, but that's the same with any con to be honest. I bet it's not easy being a judge for the masquerade. Hopefully I can participate in it next year. :)

Char350
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
They were a lot of fun. Speaking of the UCLA Anime Club, the group membership form we got didn't have individual addresses for the members who signed up that way. Please pass on the word that we'd be delighted to send out postcards to their proper addresses; if any of them want to send us a corrected address for the "join next year" postcards, send it to flyers at animelosangeles dot org. Of course, anyone we don't hear from, we'll just send them c/o the Glenrock Avenue address...
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea to send them all to the Glenrock address. Most of the group come to club meetings every week so I can always distribute them if they're all sent to one. But I'll first let everyone know about the possibility of submitting individual addresses. And speaking of group memberships, I'd like to thank you for fixing group registration online so quickly when I brought it up in the ALA forums :)

But back on topic of the Masquerade...well, what can I say; it was surreal. For most of us, it was our first masquerade so we didn't know what to expect (or what to avoid), but the masquerade staff was just exceptional. The mandatory meeting was very clear and informative, workmanship judges were patient, and the green room staff were very friendly even in the midst of chaos.

The only shortcoming was the limited space of the green room, but it couldn't be helped because of the rain. However, I think there could've been a better way to regulate the lines (for workmanship judging and photoshoot) so they don't get bunched together; but again, the rain and limited space caused by it had a factor in this.

But back to the pros! I was surprised to see catering offered in the green room. I bet it saved a lot of people for hunger because they probably didn't have that much time to eat when preparing for the masquerade. Also, other fellow cosplayers were pretty fun to mingle with; it really relieved me of nervousness before the performance. Anyone remember when everyone sang along to "Summer Nights" during one of the skits? XD

As for the actual masquerade, the skits were really entertaining (Go Nintendo Wii and Beezlenef Zone FTW!) and a lot of the costumes just blew me away. The audience was very welcoming; I don't think I've ever received so much applause before. I'm elated that our weeks of rehearsal for the skit (and the Middle School one too!) worked out at the end.
So thank you everyone for your support and please check out our club at UCLA sometime :)

So yeah, overall it was a fun and even educational experience. Some members of my group have been planning for a skit at AX, and this masq. being their first should motivate and inspire them to work even harder. Heck, our group's choreographers (tweetychick630 and the Lobelia Chizuru cosplayer) are thinking about next year's cosplay project! :bigtu:

ThatYaoiBoy
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh wow! This whole PG thing I didn't really know too much about. I was one of the twins in the last Ouran skit, and I'm now looking back and wondering if our fake twin-kiss was too much. D: I hope it wasn't?

kagomechan
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
There was some well done and well put together skits this year. The Okage group was amazing, I'm glad they won Best in Show. Anyone know the song they played during the skit? I loved it and want to download it :D.

That was us. ^_^ <-- the Marlene in the skit. It's a song by/from namuko (namco) "wa-zu wa-zu wizard (easter egg mix)". (Kanji for wizard/witch/ sorcerer)

It was given to me on a mix CD so I was like 'MUST USE IN SKIT!!' Not sure excatly where it came from.

I just have to saw thanks to everyone who ran the masquerade. You guys rock. <3 Sure the rain sucked and it was cold but it's not like you can control the weather. XD Plus someone very nicely brought me ice for my messed up ankle. Endless love.

Kags

Hazel Chaz
01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea to send them all to the Glenrock address. Most of the group come to club meetings every week so I can always distribute them if they're all sent to one. But I'll first let everyone know about the possibility of submitting individual addresses. And speaking of group memberships, I'd like to thank you for fixing group registration online so quickly when I brought it up in the ALA forums :)
I assume you distributed the ones we sent out as soon as we'd processed all the memberships? That's how I know they all had the same address, I'm the guy that put the labels on all those postcards...

hellrazer
01-30-2007, 08:13 PM
For the PG thing, I guess a lot of it is culturally defined. I mean, you see the HG shows and the kids love him.

I think the greenroom could definitely have benefited from a more intuitive layout with registration the first thing you see rather than at the very back, and the lines needed to be taped out. At one point we had an X where the line for photographs crossed the line for the craftsmanship judging. All you could do was try to be polite since there it was inevitable to be in someone's "personal bubble."

As for the performances, it was regrettable to only see people on the tv rather than actually being there. The audience was so receptive that it really would have enhanced the experience to be with the group. Still, it was fun singing "Summer loving" with everyone backstage and cheering on different characters.

And I also must say the having food backstage made all the difference for me. I'd been under the weather all day and those sandwiches (and the audience, never underestimate the energizing power of an enthusiastic crowd) got me through the performance.

hawk_87_2000
01-30-2007, 08:47 PM
I've been asked this a few times actually. If you check on ALA's forum, you would see a post, my post, back on Sun Nov 12, 2006, Post subject: is HG PG? That was when I had the idea to have HG in our skit, but I didn't know if he was considered PG. So I asked. Keven replied with,

"OK -- having viewed the video:
The costume is not a problem; HG's outfit definitely qualifies as PG.
So, that leaves it to you to design the presentation to keep it PG! Remember we have lots of young members and Parents in Tow in the audience... "

Also, during the post masquerade meeting, Kevin and Andy said that they didn't have a problem with our skit, but some others they were concerned with. I don't know what they plan to do... I think its more with the individual group and how they want to try to stay within the boundary.
You'll have to believe me when I say I litterally told my group, "No, we can't do that" to 90% of the stuff they wanted to do because I was concerned it would go past PG. However, with all that said, you're concern are very valid, and I wonder it too.

I forgot who said it during the meeting, but "we're more afraid of the parents who doesn't want their kids to see these things than the kids who have already seen it and the parents doesn't know about it."

He's not kidding. Seriously, there were a ton of ideas I had that would've made my part a heck of a lot funnier, but I kept being reminded "No, don't do that, that's not PG enough"

Scruffy Rebel
01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I had SUCH a great time participating in the masquerade. All the staffers around the stage area were so nice and helpful ^^

It was fantastic that there was water, tea and sandwiches available to us too!

The large tv was awesome, but there's not much you can do to ensure everyone can see it XD

The only "bad' this was it being so darned cold outside and WET. I couldn't believe the tent thing we were under kept leaking so darn much! There was no place outside when we were lining up where I could keep from getting dripped on. It would have been nice to have had more of the inside available to us because some of the performers had outfits ill-suited to cold weather and were desperate for warmth but couldn't get away from the cold because we had a limited amount of inside space to use.

That's the only negative experience I had out of the whole thing. Otherwise it was just tons of fun!!!!

~Scruffy

BoinkCoBoy
01-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I think the greenroom could definitely have benefited from a more intuitive layout with registration the first thing you see rather than at the very back, and the lines needed to be taped out. At one point we had an X where the line for photographs crossed the line for the craftsmanship judging. All you could do was try to be polite since there it was inevitable to be in someone's "personal bubble."

Sorry -- it was *supposed* to be toasty warm, you all would enter from the patio ramp where Zelda had her table and exit from the other end when you went to go on stage. Photography would have stayed in room 191 and only the up-close judging would be in the green room.

Unfortunately we had
a) rain, and a leaky roof
b) heaters which the hotel knew didn't work but never bothered telling us about until the day of masquerade,
c) hotel staff who changed their minds about the route we could use to run you to the stage.

So our plan to leave photography in 191 would have required you running through the rain twice, and we had to move it into the green room.
And then we found out the roof leaked.

I've only got one more convention I'm attending at the Airtel and then good riddance.

Hazel Chaz
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
As for the performances, it was regrettable to only see people on the tv rather than actually being there. The audience was so receptive that it really would have enhanced the experience to be with the group. Still, it was fun singing "Summer loving" with everyone backstage and cheering on different characters.
Some people want to watch the whole thing from the green room, other people want to join the audience as soon as their turn is over. If we can find room for a hundred seats for entrants, but make it optional -- you can find a seat in the audience or you can go back to the green room -- would that make everyone happier, do you think? Maybe a section near where you'd be walking back anyway?

It was fantastic that there was water, tea and sandwiches available to us too!
Ordering food from the hotel was essentially the "rental charge" for us to use that space as a green room. So please don't count on it next year where we've got a proper room for you guys! :)

Luna
01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I think masq stuff did amazing job taking care of us, even though things went wrong all over the place.
I loved Ouran dancing skit, lol, just like everyone else. So simple - yet brilliant! I also loved Death Note skit. And Wiiiiii...omg, so funny!!!
We did Code Geass skit, its a new animation (CLAMP/Sunrise work) and probably most of the audience didn't get it, oh well, we were just happy to cosplay and do skit from our favourite show! ^_^
Congrats everyone on your awards!!!

hellrazer
01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Making seating in the audience would be awesome. I appreciate that it is difficult considering how fast the hall filled up this year, but it would just make the whole experience that much better.

Too bad there won't be food next year. It was a pleasant surprise. But I understand how budgets can be.

And Luna: Major props on Code Geass. I support the rebellion. Though I must say, the idea of our skit was relatively easy in hindsight, the execution was not.

Amy Kimiko
01-31-2007, 12:53 AM
That was us. ^_^ <-- the Marlene in the skit. It's a song by/from namuko (namco) "wa-zu wa-zu wizard (easter egg mix)". (Kanji for wizard/witch/ sorcerer)

It was given to me on a mix CD so I was like 'MUST USE IN SKIT!!' Not sure excatly where it came from.

I just have to saw thanks to everyone who ran the masquerade. You guys rock. <3 Sure the rain sucked and it was cold but it's not like you can control the weather. XD Plus someone very nicely brought me ice for my messed up ankle. Endless love.

Kags

I also really liked the song and would like to get a hold of it. Do you have any other information about it or where I could find it?
Thanks. You guys did a great job.

Luna
01-31-2007, 01:12 AM
And Luna: Major props on Code Geass. I support the rebellion. Though I must say, the idea of our skit was relatively easy in hindsight, the execution was not.

I loved the fact that most of your Ouran group was supporting the rebellion!!! It warmed my heart greatly!
The reason why I probably will never be in dance skit - its because it so darn hard!!! You guys did great!

Ninja_trainee
01-31-2007, 01:14 AM
I think masq stuff did amazing job taking care of us, even though things went wrong all over the place.
I loved Ouran dancing skit, lol, just like everyone else. So simple - yet brilliant! I also loved Death Note skit. And Wiiiiii...omg, so funny!!!
We did Code Geass skit, its a new animation (CLAMP/Sunrise work) and probably most of the audience didn't get it, oh well, we were just happy to cosplay and do skit from our favourite show! ^_^
Congrats everyone on your awards!!!

In the greenroom, I think most didn't get it too. But I did. When I saw the Pizza Hut box, I was laughing loudly. I think people look at me with a "it's just a pizza hut box"

z_mikarin
01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
It was a great experience performing our skit
because we could hear the audience cheering it
as we perform.

When the staff person told us that the people made
such a long line to watch the Masq, I was impressed, too.:)

Unfortunately, I couldn't position myself to
stand strange in order to watch the screen in back stage
for a long time
because I was wearing a little puffy Esther dress and
my boots were killing me, but I saw some great costumes there
and made me thrilled, too.:

P.S.
>Luna, I absolutely loved your Code Geass skit!!

inuashley
01-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Entry number 40, "The Idolm@ster" has been disqualified according to this:
http://www.animelosangeles.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=438

Maguma
01-31-2007, 01:59 AM
yea, there was a thread about that on here, quite sad if you ask me that someone wouldn't A. be willing to register to be apart of the event, B. Lie about it.

Velvy
01-31-2007, 02:06 AM
I REALLY enjoyed the masquerade. It was smoothly run and executed (even despite the audio problems) and Mr. Shake Hands Man is my favorite masquerade host thus far. He was funny without being over the top, charismatic and charming!

My favorite skits were the cleverly executed Miwako & Isabella badminton game and the Wii Zelda skit. I was saying to some friends the night before when we were talking about skits "WHERE ARE ALL THE WII JOKES?" So I was really happy to finally see the potential of Wii jokes taken advantage of! Plus the musical skits (not that there's anything wrong with them!) were getting a little repetitive. This was refreshing!

But I did like quite a few musical skits, like the Ouron Backstreet Boys one -- amazing timing and choreography, just... wow! Brilliant Moon Cosplay's "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Usagi" -- THIS WAS SUPER CLEVER. Loved it! And the Hard Gay one, man! I wanted to do a skit with Hard Gay at a different convention but I thought "Nobody will get it." And people TOTALLY got it!! AWESOME. I laughed so hard I think there might have been a few tears! XD

Usually I don't watch masquerades cause I'm not much of an audience person, but I regress! The people who didn't see the masquerade totally missed out on a great show (well, a few couldn't help it, but those who purposefully missed it REALLY missed it!).

Reno_kun
01-31-2007, 02:38 AM
But back to the pros! I was surprised to see catering offered in the green room. I bet it saved a lot of people for hunger because they probably didn't have that much time to eat when preparing for the masquerade. Also, other fellow cosplayers were pretty fun to mingle with; it really relieved me of nervousness before the performance. Anyone remember when everyone sang along to "Summer Nights" during one of the skits? XD
thanks for the mention of our skit actully it was kinda a whim Idea that souned good and ended great! I hope you enjoyed our skit!

tweetychick630
01-31-2007, 02:42 AM
I was in the Ouran dancing skit (NSync actually, we made so many jokes about that - "Bye Bye Bye Everyone" and "Stay in sync everyone!" >_<), and this being my first experience in a masquerade (along with most of our group), it was amazing! The food or "rental charge" was a nice surprise, and although it was crowded (two petticoats=equaling fluffy skirt=squish), everyone was nice about it. The lines delineating pictures/judging were a little confusing, but again, no biggie.

The suggestion about addresses - it's best to have them sent to Char350, as many of us have dorm addresses that change every year. And yes, he distributed them as soon as he got them - he's so on top of things ^_^.

I didn't get to see many of the entries on stage, but up close they were gorgeous! I thought the Tsubasa and female Link costumes were especially beautiful, though I was a little too shy and stressed at the time to say anything >_<. Laughed like crazy at the Ouran Middle School skit, because I saw a videotape of it ^_~, and singing "Summer Nights" backstage was fun, too bad it wasn't the whole song (time constraints, ne?).

And as for our skit - I must agree with hellrazer, simple yet....so much choreography, it took so many hours. It may not have looked like it because I was Renge, but I was the main choreography, and it took literally hours just to figure out the moves, let alone teach it. But being in such an amazing Masquerade made it all worth it!

UzumakiRamen
01-31-2007, 03:00 AM
Yes, all hail our Renge (tweetychick630). She was the one who figured out all of the choreography and we couldn't have done it without her. I'm glad all the hours we each put into practice paid off. I was so nervous to participate in my first masquerade but it turned out to be a LOT of fun and I'm so glad we did it. Even though I don't actually go to UCLA, they let me tag along because I was our Haruhi's twin sister. The only part about the masquerade that made me kind of sad was the fact that my friends didn't get to watch. I hope seating next year will accommodate for more of the convention's attendees 'cause that really bummed me out.

Anyway, I hope videos from the masquerade get posted on YouTube or something. I didn't really get a chance to see any of the other skits. It'd be nice to know what the people back stage with us did on stage. ^__^

didjiman
01-31-2007, 04:46 AM
So for next year, if we can have the Green Room set aside all day for your use for workmanship judging, would that work? Did you do any Friday stuff with the room we had for you guys?

Chaz, I don't think we know about any such room on Friday. I thought with the hotel situation, we are lucky that we had the room on Saturday afternoon!!!!

Sana-chan
01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I really enjoyed participating in the ALA masquerade again this year :). All the staff backstage and all of the judges were incredibly nice and helpful and it really made for a great atmosphere! My only complaint, which has been mentioned already lol, is with the waiting out in the cold and being unable to watch the rest of the skits. Maybe it was too difficult, but I really liked how we did it last year where the entrants sat in the audience and were pulled to go backstage and wait. The TV was an excellent idea in the back, but without proper seating it made it quite difficult for short people like me to see as everyone else decided to push infront of me ^^;;;;. All that aside, because it wasn't a big deal at all, the masquerade was tons of fun! Thanks so much to everyone involved!

BoinkCoBoy
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
. Maybe it was too difficult, but I really liked how we did it last year where the entrants sat in the audience and were pulled to go backstage and wait. The TV was an excellent idea in the back, but without proper seating it made it quite difficult for short people like me to see as everyone else decided to push infront of me ^^;;;;. All that aside, because it wasn't a big deal at all, the masquerade was tons of fun! Thanks so much to everyone involved!

That was entirely a space problem. Too many people, not enough chairs. They held the start of the show (as you know, WE were all ready backstage at 7:30) to keep squeezing in more people. Including standing room only!

I asked about reserving a section for contestants, but remember that would have been 116 (one hundred and sixteen!) empty chairs that the audience was staring at wondering why they had to stand.

Next year's space is MUCH bigger, so they shouldn't have that problem.

Sana-chan
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Ahh, well that makes sense. I figured it had to do with space =). Looking forward to next year!

BrianAnim
01-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I loved the masq, it was great and the link thing was most memorable I thought it was funny how many N'snync refrences and songs were done haha. and I still love the fact that both picto-chat A and B were full during seating for the event haha. *raises DS up in the air*

Did everyone in chat room A get the message to look UP at the mirrors on the celing...sooo many nintendo DS's you could spot... I put a pic of the celing w/ the DS's on my gallery page @ www.sdcosplay.org

From what I could see (being stuck behind the box w/ the projector on it) it was a blast.... too bad most of the skits were obstructed from my view... cant wait to watch em on youtube.

Michi
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
I do want to put in the fact that I was looking forward to sitting in the audience and just being called back for our turn. I thought that's how it was done last year (I wasn't in the masq so I dunno), and I've been at other cons that did it. It just felt kinda lonely being stuck back there, especially when they wouldn't let us leave through the restaurant anymore and we had to go to cold and rainy way back into the hotel. T_T;

Nekoofdeath
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, I just wanted to say that I hope everyone enjoyed my group's skit: Akatuki's Day Off. This was our first masquerade and by the time we were driving back home we were already planning our next one! ^_^ I wish I could have seen the other skits, but I'll just have to find them on youtube.
Oh and to anyone who might have thought differently: I was the Kisame there and I AM a girl!

BrianAnim
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
get a better sword and ask someone who knows facepaint to re-do your makeup... but other than that you looked o.k.

The skit was funny and you all did a great job for your 1st skit :-)

inuashley
02-01-2007, 01:22 AM
get a better sword and ask someone who knows facepaint to re-do your makeup... but other than that you looked o.k.

The skit was funny and you all did a great job for your 1st skit :-)

That was actually my 3rd skit - 1st for everyone else ^^ The sword wasn't used in the skit, so it was made the night before ALA. XD

Karisu-sama
02-01-2007, 02:24 AM
I do want to put in the fact that I was looking forward to sitting in the audience and just being called back for our turn. I thought that's how it was done last year (I wasn't in the masq so I dunno), and I've been at other cons that did it.

I can't say anything about the sucky Green Room the hotel provided (the hotel also apparently "guaranteed" heating units and did NOT deliver), but from my observations of the ballroom:

By the time I got to the judges' table (right after entry #4), the ballroom was COMPLETELY PACKED.

Not only has ALA grown much bigger, so has its Masquerade.

1800 people at the con, 1000 seats in the ballroom, Fire Codes that must be enforced, and 116 people (41 entries; twice the number of entries as last year) in the Masquerade.

If it might have been possible to set aside over 1/10th of the ballroom for the contestants, I don't know, but there would have been a lot of REALLY pissed-off people wanting to watch the Masq., and I already suspect people were turned away after the place reached legal capacity.

The lack of size of the facilities was I'm sure a factor, as the con couldn't get the larger Burbank Hilton/Marriot until next year.

Also, I've been to (and in) many Masquerades where the was no seating in the audience for contestants, due to both the large numbers of contestants and large numbers in the audience compared to facilities available - AX and SDCC come to mind immediately; even the huge halls they have are still not large enough...

maggifan
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
i loved the skit from kingdom hearts axel and xemnas in PJs.....that was an awesome skit!

Meanlilkitty
02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
I now wish that I had gone to the masquarade--I could have told the judges that the latest disqualified masquarader had bought her costume from an adult costume store. I saw her wandering the hallways and instantly recognised it as the same costume my room mate bought last year. I can't believe the gall of that stupid girl! Not just to say that she had made that, but then to parade in front of so many people...she has absolutely no shame.

Karisu-sama
02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
I now wish that I had gone to the masquarade--I could have told the judges that the latest disqualified masquarader had bought her costume from an adult costume store. I saw her wandering the hallways and instantly recognised it as the same costume my room mate bought last year.
The Masquerade operates on an honor system, and we as judges simply don't know of all the commercial costumes available out there.

The contestant spoke believably when she described "how her mom helped put in some of the grommets" and "how hard the underwire part was to sew" etc. The sewing quality of the costume was not inconsistent with the skill level it was being represented as being. (You may draw your own conclusions about the commercial manufacturer from that last sentence... :p )

In any case, more than one person eventually DID report it to the Masquerade staff, along with an online link to the product in question, so it all worked out.

I honestly wonder what makes someone think a deception like that won't be quickly uncovered? And what sort of pride of accomplishment can one possibly get anyway from receiving an award for something one did not actually do? *is baffled*

Meanlilkitty
02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I honestly wonder what makes someone think a deception like that won't be quickly uncovered? And what sort of pride of accomplishment can one possibly get anyway from receiving an award for something one did not actually do? *is baffled*

Bleh, it just reminds me how dumb some people are. A REALLY big part of me is disgusted, while a very small part is wondering if I should be impressed about the balls of steel she must have to have done this.

Neo_Serenity
02-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Bleh, it just reminds me how dumb some people are. A REALLY big part of me is disgusted, while a very small part is wondering if I should be impressed about the balls of steel she must have to have done this.

Don't be impressed... it doesn't take balls to cheat. :P

Brilliant Moon Cosplay's "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Usagi" -- THIS WAS SUPER CLEVER. Loved it!

Thank you so much! We had a great time performing for everyone, and were really glad we managed to keep all 14 of us on stage (without anyone falling off due to such a big group) XD.

Hats off to Kevin, Andy, Lindsay and Zelda: You guys did a fabulous job! More masquerades should model themselves after this one. We were so glad to find sandwiches backstage, along with iced tea! (Usagi was hungry!) It sucked it was raining, but since when did our Masq. Directors turn into Gods that could control the weather? No worries... we all huddled next to each other for warmth, and to see the skits on the TV. :) And of course with a bigger room next year, we only have the best to come!

BMC gives the ALA Masquerade two thumbs up!

major antidote
02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
if anybody saw me... i was the oracle who was wigging out before i went on stage. xemnas had to hug me in order to calm me down and axel had to teach me how to breathe again. my hat was off to sephiroth for being histarically cool about sparda, hojo and i braid his hair though and to xemnas and axel who were craking jokes about the backstreet boys before ouran high school came up!

allyunion
02-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Darn... I missed the Wii entry... should have stayed longer...

Hazel Chaz
02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
We calculated our membership cap based on expecting a certain percentage of people staying for the masquerade, and the rest of them blowing it off or leaving early or whatever. (Kevin alluded to my committing convention resources; did you realize that the masquerade was the principal driver in figuring the max size of the con?)

We've estimated a cap of 3000 members next year by following a similar formula, based on how many people we can seat for the masquerade at the Burb.

The masquerade this year was clearly a cut above many others I've seen. The median quality of entry was remarkable. I was stunned, awed, and humbled to try to imagine all of these people working on their costumes and working on their routines, trying to get it all ready for our little convention. And for many of them, to show it once, that one night.

So here's my worry. What if more people, a greater percentage of the membership, realize the Masquerade is worth staying for?

Then my careful calculation goes right out the window and we need a lower cap. Or, we have a potential problem and we need to figure out how to solve it ahead of time rather than have hundreds of unhappy people standing outside the doors wanting to be let in.

If we beef up our tech budget (I can hear our treasurer groan already) and if we can get some good-quality videocamera(s) in there, we could project what the cameras see onto a projection screen inside the room, and pipe it out to the green room and into the foyer. Have a TV screen or two set up in the artists' concourse or in the comfy seating area.

If we can figure out the issue with sound, we might be able to have the sound come through. But this would probably only apply to the amplified sound; anyone declaiming their lines from the stage without lip-synching pre-recorded material would be silent on the repeater screens.

If, if, if. I'm talking about maybes; are they worth exploring?

1800 people at the con, 1000 seats in the ballroom, Fire Codes that must be enforced, and 116 people (41 entries; twice the number of entries as last year) in the Masquerade.
Actually, it was more like 700 seats in the ballroom. Your point is still valid...

Gainax Boy
02-03-2007, 06:08 PM
If we beef up our tech budget (I can hear our treasurer groan already) and if we can get some good-quality videocamera(s) in there, we could project what the cameras see onto a projection screen inside the room, and pipe it out to the green room and into the foyer. Have a TV screen or two set up in the artists' concourse or in the comfy seating area.

If we can figure out the issue with sound, we might be able to have the sound come through. But this would probably only apply to the amplified sound; anyone declaiming their lines from the stage without lip-synching pre-recorded material would be silent on the repeater screens.

If, if, if. I'm talking about maybes; are they worth exploring?

Definitely worth Exploring. This would end up being yet another aspect where ALA soars above the other conventions (Since we already have one of the best-run Masquerades ever ~_^)

Even something so much as a Video Feed outside of the Masquerade hall in the Foyer would do wonders, because then you also give people the freedom to come and go as they please and do other things (like get some water or something) and still being able to not miss any good acts in the Masquerade.

It also frees up a large area for people who weren't able to get house seating (which is not something alot of other cons are willing to do).

By Catering to the needs of our guests like this, we put ourselves leagues above other conventions who won't normally go to these lengths.

The only problem is if we set-up a Video feed in the foyer or something.. then would we still be able to set one up for the Contestants as well?

*thinks*

Michi
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Also, I've been to (and in) many Masquerades where the was no seating in the audience for contestants, due to both the large numbers of contestants and large numbers in the audience compared to facilities available - AX and SDCC come to mind immediately; even the huge halls they have are still not large enough...

I know, so have I. I think I was just spoiled by last year's Fanime where the participants got to sit in the front rows of the audience, and how I thought I remembered ALA doing the same last year as well. :)

BoinkCoBoy
02-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Shortly before the masquerade show began, I was asked by the gentleman running the AMV projector if I wanted titles of the entries put up on the screen, something I hadn't even considered (we could have built a powerpoint presentation with the credits for each entry and plugged in a laptop, for instance).

That would be cool, so if you do find a fancier way to pipe video a way to switch sources would be good. (At LACon IV, they actually had somebody in the video booth with a title generator. I'm not talking about something that fancy, just the ability to be able to switch from the live cam to a laptop with a static slide with titles/credits on it)

Hazel Chaz
02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
The only problem is if we set-up a Video feed in the foyer or something.. then would we still be able to set one up for the Contestants as well?
Contestants get first dibs. If we can only do one, it'll be in the Masquerade Green Room.

I know, so have I. I think I was just spoiled by last year's Fanime where the participants got to sit in the front rows of the audience, and how I thought I remembered ALA doing the same last year as well. :)
Yes, we did that last year, because there wasn't room to send you guys back to the green room. Afterwards, one of the requests I heard was "We'd rather go back to the green room where we can be more comfortable."

It's debatable how comfy our patio was this year, though... Anyhow, perhaps we can make it a choice? If you check a box on your entry forms, we should be able to figure out the right number of seats to set aside.

Youshi Semenjyu
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the masquerade! I think that even the cold drippiness outside was made a little more bearable by the obvious effort that the wonderful staff put into it.

Also, props to letting the Masquerade performers leave and come back should they have wished to. I have been in one other Masquerade where I was just miserable. Entry 2, out of 98, and I was stuck in blue paint with bindings biting into me. More major props for the freedom to leave as you please.

And thanks to everyone who enjoyed the Brilliant Moon skit! We all loved performing for you guys! ^__^ Everyone who entered was spectacular!

folkeye
02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm totally in favor of using some projection screens for when you have flat seated venue... I couldn't see anything at all. It was a real bummer....

PhantomShadow
02-27-2007, 01:19 AM
I loved the Masquerade this year! I was part of the Akatsuki skit. I wasn't happy that we didn't win but I was very happy at the fact that the people who won put so much effort into their idea's and outfits.