PDA

View Full Version : Sophie's Dress

nachan
02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone.

My boyfriend agreed to cosplay with me at Katsucon this year (huzzah!) so we're going to try and do Howl and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle =D I found the perfect awkward-green material and bought it, but now I'm a little stumped on how to attempt Sophie's dress. For anyone out there who has done her dress before, is there a pattern floating around that already meets the specifications, or am I going to have to do a lot of alterations? I'm still kind of new at sewing, my only big project has been a shortened kimono that I somehow made out of black brocade.. which was ridiculous, and all of my sewing has been straight from patterns. Also, one note, I'm working out of my dorm room so I haven't got access to a dressform. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it =) The dress has so many little variations, the yoke on top, the collar, long cuffed sleeves, and a gathered waist. Hmm...

RyukoKahuma
02-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Simplicity has a few patterns for that style of dress. I believe the set of patterns is the Civil War set, and they wouldn't need a lot of alterations.

Alternist
02-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone.

My boyfriend agreed to cosplay with me at Katsucon this year (huzzah!) so we're going to try and do Howl and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle =D I found the perfect awkward-green material and bought it, but now I'm a little stumped on how to attempt Sophie's dress. For anyone out there who has done her dress before, is there a pattern floating around that already meets the specifications, or am I going to have to do a lot of alterations? I'm still kind of new at sewing, my only big project has been a shortened kimono that I somehow made out of black brocade.. which was ridiculous, and all of my sewing has been straight from patterns. Also, one note, I'm working out of my dorm room so I haven't got access to a dressform. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it =) The dress has so many little variations, the yoke on top, the collar, long cuffed sleeves, and a gathered waist. Hmm...

Which dress? Green one, blue one, or the yellow one from the end?

RyukoKahuma
02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Okay, not to sound rude or anything, but I believe that she mentioned the colour of her fabric in this line:
I found the perfect awkward-green material and bought it, but now I'm a little stumped on how to attempt Sophie's dress.

nachan
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry! That was a little confusing. I'm thinking of the green one she wears through most of the movie I think, and when she's younger.

nachan
02-10-2007, 03:33 PM
To all sophies out there, my mom found almost the exact dress pattern! It's McCalls, M9423 http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M9423.htm

It just needs some elastic in the waist! The only major difference is that the yolk goes all the way around to the back in this pattern, but not in the movie. A small detail that could probably be altered. Good luck to anyone cosplaying Sophie =)

JiseiHakushaku
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
To all sophies out there, my mom found almost the exact dress pattern! It's McCalls, M9423 http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M9423.htm

It just needs some elastic in the waist! The only major difference is that the yolk goes all the way around to the back in this pattern, but not in the movie. A small detail that could probably be altered. Good luck to anyone cosplaying Sophie =)

Ah! Thank you very much. This will be very helpful. Thank you! ^^