PDA

View Full Version : Does Ironing make the costume?

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, but does it irk anyone else when people wear a costume that looks as if they smashed it up, shoved it in a bag, then pulled it out and put it right on? So many costumes would look fantastic if the cosplayer just took the time to iron it! I'm not talking about wrinkles from normal wear, those are inevitable ^_~

Right before Halloween or a con, my dorm suite becomes one giant ironing party. Most hotels rooms have an iron & board. There's even a spray to remove wrinkles, it doesn't get any easier!
</rant>
Sorry about the rant, like I said, it's a pet peeve!

shiroi_yukiko
08-17-2002, 01:18 PM
I'll admit it... I like to iron things. I don't know why, but I do. Therefore, yes, it does bother me when people don't iron their costumes. It's a horribly rediculous peeve, but a little ironing goes a looooong way...

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I think ironing is very important. Especially since almost everyone HAS shoved their costumes into a bag. Although, with Sanzo, I could iron the kimono, but then 2 seconds later there's this "boing" noise and they all come back . . . (Well, just about, lol.) But I think my one-night roommate thought I was nutty, at AX, ironing Kaoru before I went to bed (it was late). . .

kelldar
08-17-2002, 02:37 PM
I finally had to learn to iron just so I could iron my costumes once I got to a con ^^;;; My Selphie costume in particular. No matter how flat I packed it it always ended up wrinkled as anything (and then, once I sat down or did anything in the costume, it was start again. heh.)

arisuchan
08-17-2002, 03:00 PM
its all about appearance and if it looks like you don't care about your costume, no one else is going to eithier. Sometimes the little things (like taking a moment to iron out the bad wrinkles) can help a lot.

Cait
08-17-2002, 03:29 PM
*nods* I was mocked by my people for busting out the ironing board to iron one of my con dresses... but it really needed it.

Also, hate it when people make glorious costumes... that are too big for them! The baggy look works for jeans, but not body suits.

Mei Lan Chang
08-17-2002, 04:23 PM
If I needed to iron something, I would have someone do it for me.
If an object is boiling, hot, or even mildly warm, I will burn myself on it. There should be a law restricting my use of a hot glue gun in regards the other laws against self mutilation.

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Ironing is such a pain... I carry my "unwrinkling" spray at cons not because it works but because when used with an iron it makes your clothes really crisp.

What drives me nuts are materials that can't be ironed... like vinyl.. and how you have to stick them in the bathroom with the really hot shower running for a while to unwrinkle them. >__<

(Oh and my pet ironing peeve: I can NEVER close those hotel ironing boards!)

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 04:53 PM
I forgot to mention... Ayaka... I feel your pain... I once made a costume (my white Rosiel) out of 100% cotton. Just STARING at the thing made it wrinkle, and you couldn't iron the bottom because of all the rose petals.

It was HELL.

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
(Oh and my pet ironing peeve: I can NEVER close those hotel ironing boards!)

Yeah . . . I, uh . . . kinda hurt myself on the one at the Hyatt . . . >.<;

Hot shower? Would that work for PVC? There's not much of Faye's outfit to wrinkle, but what there is does.

And Sanzo's kimono, it reacts really badly to water as well. It gets stiff and bumpy wherever it gets wet. (Yes, I DID have fun doing the fusible interfacing on the collar due to the this.) I have no idea why, it's a polyester blend, but nothing weird. So, guess which costume got wet trying to hop puddles at AX? Yep.

Tenjou
08-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Compared to a really wrinkled costume, and a nice, smooth one from ironing, ^_^ I'd choose the ironed one myself. ^^

Kurenai
08-18-2002, 12:26 AM
Ironing is especially important, but when I had my Harle harem pants ironed (they're made out of a sheer, metallic fabric) they melted ;_; and I had to make new pants. Now I just have to be careful to roll it tightly and hang it up after I'm done wearing it...

engrish
08-18-2002, 02:21 AM
try ironing a cotton skirt with pleats(quite common with all those school girl outfits).....that's like cosplay hell

Ayaka
08-18-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by engrish
try ironing a cotton skirt with pleats(quite common with all those school girl outfits).....that's like cosplay hell

You should try ironing hakama. x_O;;;; I guess I should be glad that my mom used to have me iron my dad's hankerchiefs, and then his shirts, when I was little . . .

Kurenai - Melted? That's awful. Though I admit I would have liked to have seen that . . . ^_~; And yes, darnit, I DID put a plastic spoon in the microwave once just to see what would happen . . .

Tenshi
08-18-2002, 02:37 AM
Unironed costumes drive me crazy. That's another reason why satin deserves to die a horrible, painful death -- it looks even worse wrinkled. I'm fanatic about ironing -- I didn't wear my Terra cape at AX because I couldn't figure out how to iron it ^^;; (it's a sheer fabric).

L to the 3rd
08-18-2002, 03:29 AM
YES... wrinkles are my pet peeve, espesh
on a costume! I iron everything
except my undwear.... er..yea.

Kusanagi
08-18-2002, 05:15 AM
And yes, darnit, I DID put a plastic spoon in the microwave once just to see what would happen . . .

Hehe...

Try putting in one of those free AOL cd's for a couple of seconds, silver side up. :D

moo
08-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Tenshi
I'm fanatic about ironing -- I didn't wear my Terra cape at AX because I couldn't figure out how to iron it ^^;; (it's a sheer fabric).

How about using a handheld steamer? It's great when you can't iron things normally and the ol' hanging-stuff-in-a-steamy-shower trick doesn't work. Also, I imagine steam is friendlier to delicate and meltable fabrics than an iron.

KuroBara
08-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Kurenai: Melted pants? Noo! My mom did that to a shirt of mine once >_< I think it was polyester. Actually, I don't let my parents touch my laundry anymore. My dad always shrinks my shirts.

After 4 years of Catholic school, I got pretty good at ironing a pleated skirt. It's time-consuming, but doable. My HOLY uniform has a strip of pleather running down each sleeve, making it a little dangerous to iron. I tend to press my costumes a lot during the early stages of construction, so they never get too smooshed. That helped. Hmm...I didn't know the steamy shower trick worked for vinyl.

Kurenai
08-18-2002, 05:29 PM
>Kurenai - Melted? That's awful. Though I admit I would have liked to have seen that . . . ^_~; And yes, darnit, I DID put a plastic spoon in the microwave once just to see what would happen . . .

>Kurenai: Melted pants? Noo! My mom did that to a shirt of mine once >_< I think it was polyester. Actually, I don't let my parents touch my laundry anymore. My dad always shrinks my shirts.

Yes, I went screaming to JoAnns the day before Anime North and they said "All you can do is buy the same color thread and try to fix it. Fortunately my mom knew this stitch that wasn't noticeable at all, so it just looked like one more big wrinkle ::sweatdrop::

Lesson of the day: If it looks like metal or plastic, it will probably melt like metal or plastic ^_^;;;

chibi_kitty
08-18-2002, 06:17 PM
never EVER Iorn somthing like really late at night/early morning. my friend (non cosplay) was iorning a shirt for chirch at 2 in the morning. she couldn't find her iorning bord so out of no where she decided to iorn it on her clothed leg..... she now has an iorn shaped scar.

Ali-kun
08-19-2002, 12:40 AM
My mom was SO surprised that I actually taught myself how to iron...for cosplay. Appreciative, though - it's a useful skill! Plus, though I always hide my half-finished projects from her, she thinks the finished cosplays I show her are so cute and creative.

I have not had any spectactularly easy-to-wrinkle costumes that I brought to a con yet, though, so just major-ironing before I left, putting my stuff in one of those hanging carriers, and unpacking as soon as I got there worked fine. But I will probably resort to ironing at the con if I make something in the future that is easily crumpled ^_^

I agree, though, that wrinkled up just-pulled-out-of-luggage costumes don't look NEARLY as good as freshly ironed, crisp costumes. Even having some wrinkles is not too bad, if they are in normal wrinkle places, like at your elbow or something ;P

HuongStar
08-19-2002, 10:29 AM
I don't understand why people would spend so much effort in creating a costume...only to have the wonderful effect ruined by wrinkly fabric. >_<

Hand-held steamers, "wrinkle-release" spray and steam irons are your best friend. *does ironing dance*

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 12:13 PM
> Yeah . . . I, uh . . . kinda hurt myself on the one at the Hyatt . . .

You know the more we talk on the board the more I think we are twins separated at birth. LMAO.

> Hot shower? Would that work for PVC? There's not much of Faye's outfit to wrinkle, but what there is does.

It does! The steam will unwrinkle it. That would probably work for Tenshi's sheer cape too.

> So, guess which costume got wet trying to hop puddles at AX?

Murphy's law, uh?

Hikaruchan
08-19-2002, 12:19 PM
I usually iron my costmes, but occassionally I get tired, lazy or rushed and don't do it. Last year at AWA I didn't iron Zelgadis' cape and at AZ I didn't iron rosebride skirt and you could tell it.

I almost spazzed at MTAC when the hotel room didn't have an ironing board. Fortunately another staff members room did have one I abducted for myself, so I could iron pleated cotton skirts.

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 04:31 PM
(My posting was interrupted by a dentist's appt, fyi. ^^ lol)

> You know the more we talk on the board the more I think we are twins separated at birth. LMAO.

rofl! ^^

> Murphy's law, uh?

Actually, I think it was more my stupidity for trying to jump over a very large, very deep puddle while a) sleep deprived, b) food deprived, c) not athletic to begin with, d) wearing a very long, rather complex costume, d) and ZORI. >.< To my credit I was surrounded by puddles so didn't really have a choice.

Carmila
08-19-2002, 04:37 PM
I am with you all on the ironing thing. When it came to this pleated skirt I did, I starched and ironed every single one of the pleats so that it looked perfect. I even starched the collar of the shirt so that it would lay just the way I wanted it.

Now there are some costumes, that no matter how hard you try, you are never going to get them to look pressed (my Kurumi is one of them due to the wavies in the fabric) and for stuff like that you just have to try your darndest!