PDA

View Full Version : Anime Los Angeles 2008: registration and cosplay badges?

Hazel Chaz
02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
As mentioned elsewhere, pre-reg is open for next year's convention. You can mail in the postcard from your white goodie bag, you can print out and mail in the form on the website, or you can join online with a credit card or a Paypal account on the website.

We're thinking of making double-sided badges, where there's a blank space on the back where you can write your character's name with a marker. Some people want to have the name of the person they're dressed as on their badge, but it's only going to be for one day (like Faire Goddess's surprising impersonation this year). Currently you have the choice of what to print on the front of your badge, which could be two lines, but that's what it's going to say all weekend.

What do you think of this option? I'm still batting it around, but it might be kind of cool. Previously I'd mentioned this idea in terms of it being an option; this time around I'm proposing it on all the badges, whether you use the backside or not.

BrianAnim
02-05-2007, 01:56 PM
whatever costs less for you guys.

linkluver6
02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree

I mean the idea is pretty neat
but if it is too much of a hassel oh well
I am sure we can find one name we can stick with for a few days

Narniacat
02-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Couldn't people get their own white stickers or something to put on the back of their badges? Then they could write whatever they wanted on it and change it as they change their costume... I mean you don't have to supply the white stickers you could just suggest people get some from office max etc... They are very cheap

Hazel Chaz
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
whatever costs less for you guys.
That's the beauty of the plan, it won't cost any extra. We're already planning to have full-color art on both sides of the badge, so it won't matter which side is up when you go by the badge-checkers. All we have to do is use the same design on the back as on the front; we'll just put your name on the "front" and there will be a blank space in the same position on the "back." A quick jot with a Sharpie marker (stop by the Cosplay Repair Station to use one of their many color ones) and you're in business.

Couldn't people get their own white stickers or something to put on the back of their badges? Then they could write whatever they wanted on it and change it as they change their costume... I mean you don't have to supply the white stickers you could just suggest people get some from office max etc... They are very cheap
That would work too. You'd want the "pressure-sensitive" ones, not the "permanent" ones; it would make sense for us to buy a box of the right kind and have them at, say, Information.

Narniacat
02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
That would work too. You'd want the "pressure-sensitive" ones, not the "permanent" ones; it would make sense for us to buy a box of the right kind and have them at, say, Information.

That would work : ) you could get the permanent ones too though... All anyone would have to do is stick a new sticker over the old one. It would only possibly be a problem it
1) people are bad at putting on stickers
2) People change costumes so much that the sticker layering gets really high
3) The stickers are too thin so that the old sticker shows through

*Shrug*

~C

FaireGoddess
02-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Because of the proliferation of ribbons at ALA, I actually think double-sided badges are.. well, a bit silly. The ribbons only stick to one side, so if you have your "character name" side showing you'd see the back of all your ribbons, or vice versa.. *shrug* Maybe some folks would go for that, but I don't really see a benefit. I like the idea of having temp labels available at the Info desk (I just used masking tape, myself), if they match the size of the name space on the front of the badges... and perhaps putting the "real" info on the back of the badge as well, for when the front is covered. (Please forgive me if I'm not making sense.. it's late. XD)

And in a parallel discussion (since we're talking badges anyway..):
Personally, I was surprised that only the fan name was shown on this year's badges. While I do go by FaireGoddess online, I'd have liked my real name on there too. Maybe I'm in the minority?

RivetSPOOn
02-08-2007, 05:31 AM
Personally, I was surprised that only the fan name was shown on this year's badges. While I do go by FaireGoddess online, I'd have liked my real name on there too. Maybe I'm in the minority?

I'd like to nominate that we have the option. I for one am not too keen on having my real name on my badge if I can help it; it adds to the suspense on whether or not I truly do have a real name. XD But I do understand the need to have both on the badge.

ThatYaoiBoy
02-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm not all for having real names on the badges D: I kind of would like to keep that under-wraps at huge conventions with lots of people.

I liked the ribbon idea, except they got really really long....

I don't really see a point of having character names on the back of the badge. I change many times a con, and if someone wants to know what character I am, they can come up and ask and start a conversation. Though, I do like the double-sided aspect. But maybe the same thing on both sides so it doesn't matter which side is up, someone can see you've got a badge and doesn't harass you. Also, lanyards would be nice. I hated the clip, honestly.

Michi
02-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Double-sided doesn't really appeal to me. Like ThatYaoiBoy said, I change too much for that to matter. I go by my (fan) name, not my character name at cons. It's a cute idea, but I can't see many benefits.
I just like being able to pick what it says on front. I've seen people put their real name, fan name, both, or even their character if they only have one costume that weekend. It's been that way at so many cons for so many years, so I think it works pretty well.

Hazel Chaz
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
That's the way we've been doing it all along. If you ask for it, though, we can easily do both. Such as

Chaz Baden
"Hazel Chaz"

or

Hazel Chaz
(Chaz Baden)

What we DON'T currently have is the ability for one line to be in a smaller type size than the other.

Mr. Postman
02-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Just got the postcard today. Member #20 is ready for 2008! :rockon:

As far as having "dual" names on the badges, it doesn't matter to me. On Friday, I came straight from work and was wearing my postal uniform, with my ID badge, which has my full name on it. I can understand where most people may want to keep it strictly with "Alias" though.

TC

Maguma
02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a question about the registration. since i won the AMV contest i got a free membership but when i check the site, nothing. did my registration card get submited??

Hazel Chaz
02-16-2007, 03:05 AM
I have a question about the registration. since i won the AMV contest i got a free membership but when i check the site, nothing. did my registration card get submited??
I'll ask Mikal about that, thanks for the heads-up.

Maguma
02-16-2007, 11:16 AM
no problem

mlarad
02-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a question I'm trying to register for next year and the system wont let me sign in it keeps sending me to the main page without signing me in. is there something with the system or I'm doing something wrong? ^_^

Hazel Chaz
02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I have a question I'm trying to register for next year and the system wont let me sign in it keeps sending me to the main page without signing me in. is there something with the system or I'm doing something wrong? ^_^
The server's been having database problems -- sorry about that.

Just mail us a check or money order for $25 per person, payable to Anime LA, send it to Anime Los Angeles, PO Box 17522, Anaheim CA 92817-7522.