PDA

View Full Version : Photography

Koumori
08-17-2002, 07:10 PM
I'm constantly envious of the gorgeous photos many cosplayers have of themselves. Rosiel et al - do you just have talented friends, or are there any particular secrets to good costume photos? Have you ever worked with pro photographers? I've only had my friends take pictures in the past, and the results have been... iffy; I'd feel better about posting my work if I could get better pictures of it, and me in it.

So - those of you who have good luck with photos, what's your secret?

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Yes, I want to know the same thing! ^^ Although, just for the record, your avatar pic is really nice!

Haruka
08-17-2002, 09:11 PM
photos are one thing that i really like to pride my self in doing. about a year ago my grandfather gave a very nice cannon, ae-1, single reflex camera. that camera is prolly one of the best things i have ever got. after learning how to use it and getting a zoom lense, ive been taking pictures of lilly in all of her costumes (all of her avatar pics are done by me)
i do believe that THE most important element in taking pictures is the lighting. i always take my pics outside, and in shadey areas where the light is softer and more diffused. be sure to stay OUT of pure sunlight. you dont want harsh shadows covering the subject's face. second, try to buy "fast" film (about 800 ASA is good).
IF you are going to use disposeable cameras, go ahead and buy the more expendsive ones, the higher price really is worth it! and last, try your best to center your subject in the camera lense, try to cut out as much back ground. focus on what is important!
ack this is getting to lenghty!......^_^

Jibrille
08-17-2002, 10:34 PM
> about a year ago my grandfather gave a very nice cannon, ae-1, single reflex camera. that camera is prolly one of the best things i have ever got.

mmm.. cannon ae1... its what i use. shame i just havnt had the time to use it for my costumes.
but as a photo major of 3 years now i can say that is a damn good camera.

indirect lighting is the best thing ever.
flash is usually satan.
*nods about fast film speeds*
a thoughtout pose is always nice to work with.
and composition can make or break a picture.

Haruka
08-17-2002, 11:39 PM
yes yes yes! must pose ^_^ i love taking pictures..the only thing is that camera is onlt good for planned photo shoots..its just to big to take to cons..and the flash is really big and clunky, so its better to just bring disposables to cons...

Jibrille
08-18-2002, 12:21 AM
i avoid the need for the klunky flash with 800 speed film or faster, faster rocks.
i am determined to use con going as a photo project this year! lol

then i can blow up pics and some rockin black&white... some huuuge color prints *drools*
wow i miss photo studio... ;_;

Koumori
08-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the key is to make sure that whoever is taking your pictures is also a cosplayer. ;) That way they know what you're going for - my biggest problem with my friends is Failure To Use The Zoom Function. *sigh* Maybe I just need more artistic friends.

And thanks, Ayaka. But before I cut it down, that was a Very Large full-body picture of me, Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen. :)