PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying Disneyland~

xXKujaXx
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I've heard rumours that you can't you can't cosplay inside of disneyland.

Can anyone substantiate or dispel these rumours? We'd really like to take a trip down there.

DivineSage
02-12-2007, 08:49 PM
It's true. They don't allow it, because you might be mistaken for one of the face characters.

Eleryth
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I think they only allow it on certain days; maybe for Halloween only? I've seen pictures of people in Disneyland in costume (I think one was actually Anastasia from the cartoon, even though it's not Disney), but I'm not 100% sure.

Best to contact someone at Disney and find out, I guess.

Then I suppose there's always the option of finding costumes that are more "normal" clothing like (or else more "fashion", like perhaps gothic lolita or something) and going that way.

Mesoian
02-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Random 4chan Voice: "Considering that Kingdom Hearts is perhaps the most over cosplayed series of this year and last, and Anime Expo is literally walking distance away from Disneyworld, I'm surprised that cosplayers don't just march on the gates, hundreds upon hundreds of KH cosplayers looking to storm the gates of Disney"

I'd pay to see that.

Cagalli Kasshu
02-12-2007, 09:22 PM
ahahaha, me too xD

AuroraHermione
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Disneyland doesn't want anyone that is obviously weearing a costume in the park. Why? Because if someone mistakes you for a face character or cast member and you do something not befitting of one of these people, they could get in trouble for it. They can turn you away at the gates if you're too dressed up in costume. I wouldn't try it.

Merchant
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
lol I totally remember thinking when I was at the KH gathering at AX when all of Organization XIII came together like "All of Organization XIII should just converge on Disneyland." I even pictured the thought in my head and it was actually quite awesome but somehow I think possibly wearing an Organization coat into the park shouldn't be a problem since it's not covering your face and it can pass as just a regular long black coat.

But yeah they pretty much won't allow people in costume into the park with the exception of Halloween in Disney's California Adventure where kids and adults alike can where costumes only the kids though can trick or treat for candy XD

Yunri-Chan
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I've always wondered this too. My friend told me this was true a loong while back, but a credible friend of mine (BART Boy) told me it was allowed, and another friend who was with us at the time confirmed it.

...At least I think that's what happened. I can't really remember these things when I'm tired. x_x;

s0ra_xx
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Wow. Does that go for Disney World in Orlando, Florida too?

Mesoian
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow. Does that go for Disney World in Orlando, Florida too?

Yup. Moreso after the tigger lawsuit

Foos
02-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Eh? I cosplay at Disney sometimes, and I've only received compliments and "awww, how cute!" from the staff (or odd stares). A lot of my friends work there, and they say you're only not allowed to cosplay Disney characters. The rules are even more lax on Halloween (there were folks dressed as Disney chars and no one really said anything). :D Talking about Disney World in Orlando, of course.

We've done medieval, Fullmetal Alchemist and traditional japanese costumes around the parks. :| Not sure what would make employees say no. Maybe something too revealing or inappropriate.

Panda-chan
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I can totally understand why Disney wouldn't want people dressed as their characters outside of Halloween. The general public doesn't costume outside of Halloween so if they (general public) saw a Disney character in the park they would assume it was a Cast Member. I'm sure Disney is afraid someone would mistake a costumer as a Cast Member and if that costumer were to do something unbecoming it may ruin the image of that character for the other guests.

Hope that made some sense.

Angel Tifa
02-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Hmmm...in about March of 2005, for some reason they let me get away with it when I was cosplaying Rinoa at Disneyland. You think possibly because it may look close to casual clothes? Or maybe the rules or enforced just a little while after this date? Because I remember I didn't hear of these rules until about October 2005.

mlarad
02-13-2007, 01:27 AM
I have seen other cosplayers pictures were they are wearing a costume inside disneyland especially when AX took place in anaheim but probably you want to contact them so you wont be turn back.

Tigress
02-13-2007, 01:47 AM
When I went to Disneyworld in 2005, I saw a lot of little girls wearing Disney princess costumes. They also have "character breakfasts", where your kids can breakfast with actresses dressed up as Disney characters.

I would say to call Disneyworld's customer service and tell them of your plans to dress up. Then see what they say to decide how you proceed.

Kagami-chan
02-13-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't see why they shouldn't. I would say that Kingdom Hearts would be borderline since there's Disney characters in it. But I wouldn't think that if you went as a main character such as Riku, Sora, or Kairi, that you could get in. Technecally, those are Square Enix's characters, but Disneyland would know that they were from those games. But when I went to Disneyland, the majority were little kids who probably only watched Disney movies and the Disney channel. Kids that probably wouldn't play Kingdom Hearts.

But that's just my idea of it.

Nohirexi
02-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Jeeze, that seems a little... "Eh" if you ask me. I`ve always wanted to cosplay at Disneyland, maybe as my Nobody O__o; Strange though, because I was just talking to a friend about doing this. @____<

I think they might let you in, depending on who you`re dressed as. If it`s someone directly from a Disney movie, who everyone knows is there daily, then yeah, you might get denied access, but if it`s someone from a video game, with a Disney connection, who knows.

arcadiapandora
02-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Bummer, I wanted to wear my Alice in Wonderland costume at Disneyland ;_;

Yumeko
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
It's not just Disneyland/Disney World. Pretty much all of your major theme parks discourage or out right don't allow cosplay in their parks with the exception of halloween.

However I know that they (Disney) are a bit lax on EGL/EGA because a cousin of mine who lives in Lakeland Fl. went to Disney world with five of her friends. Two girls were into the punk goth look and lifestyle were turned away and they were wearing their regular attire.

Lisu-chan
02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Just to be on the safe side I will only go to Disney around Halloween time, so I will see Halloween there! (europe BTW) I doubt they know what Cosplay is, but last time I went was little after twin tower thing, and well there were guys with guns around the park... It kinda creeped me out, but they were only on the outside so one Space Mountain ride later it was all cool again!

I'll try to do a Halloween Sora then! XD

ravenmist
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not all too keen on cosplaying in a theme park if it's not Halloween. My sister and I dressed up as fairies for Sea World's Spooktacular, but that was it. I would think it wouldn't be allowed in any form to dress up like that to a Disney theme park, especially if you're not an employee. I wouldn't be happy about it, that's for sure. I know there have been a bunch of people cosplay inside Disney and you see pics all over c.com. I know if someone came into my park (not a child) in costumes I'd be giving them strange looks. I just don't like the whole cosplaying at a theme park when you A) Don't work there as a character (face or other) and B) it's not Halloween or an appropriate time of year to dress up (ie: Star Wars weekened). I just think there are certain times and places for cosplay and theme parks aren't one of them.

Zasshu
02-13-2007, 12:57 PM
the rule at disney world orlando is if you're over 12, and dressed up, you're SUPPOSED to be turned away. they wont turn away younger princesses or pirates and such cuz theres no chance of being mistaken as a face character. around halloween they're lax on it because of the halloween party they have where they encourace EVERYONE to dress up, not just kids....

Devi 1313
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
It's not just Disneyland/Disney World. Pretty much all of your major theme parks discourage or out right don't allow cosplay in their parks with the exception of halloween.

However I know that they (Disney) are a bit lax on EGL/EGA because a cousin of mine who lives in Lakeland Fl. went to Disney world with five of her friends. Two girls were into the punk goth look and lifestyle were turned away and they were wearing their regular attire.

Yes, I remember hearing my sister say that people all gothed or pierced up generally get turned away. Makes me wonder how Roman Dirge (HEAVILY tattooed creator of Lenore) gets in all the time.

Kagami-chan
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes, I remember hearing my sister say that people all gothed or pierced up generally get turned away. Makes me wonder how Roman Dirge (HEAVILY tattooed creator of Lenore) gets in all the time.

I don't think they'd turn around an idol of sorts.

Phantom Pirate
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Cosplaying Disney at Disney (only at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party) is usually allowed, as long as your costume isn't quite as good as theirs. I've seen less-than-spectacular Tinkerbells, Minnies, etc, and no one said a word to them other than "Awww..."

Now, If you've worked there in the past/know lots of people who work there, you might get away with a really good Disney costume at Halloween, I've heard of that happening too. But semi-normal, non-Disney things during regular park hours, they slide. Ed Elric, Any plain-clothed characters, kimonos, etc...people might think you're strange, but certainly no recognizable Disney character.

...and of course they let toddlers and younger kids in wearing costumes...I'm not about to run up to a 4 year old with an autograph book XD

Volnixshin
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
BAKA YARO! Damnit I wanntttedd to go to Disney in Cosplay....Dammnit! ディズニーなぜか。なぜ! 私は知らない粗悪品そんなに憎む!

jedimeg16
02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
It is true that Disney discourages all guests other than children in the more "costumey" versions of the characters (with images of the character on the costume itself).

The exceptions are Halloween for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Star Wars Weekends (the last day of my first internship was the first day of SWW 2004 and my parents shipped my full Jedi costume down to me).

kkoganei1328
02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
disneyland does not allow cosplaying or even costumes to be worn by anyone over the age of like 10. (i think even that's pushing it a bit). no, you cannot cosplay at disneyland on halloween. i was there for the california adventure halloween special. you can ONLY cosplay/ be in costume at that special ticketed event. i saw guests try to get into disneyland thinking they could dress up just cuz its halloween night, and they were flat out turned down. (and that's just at the bag check-out gate!!) they thought everyone was allowed to do so, but all the guests in costumes were going to the california adventure special event. if u wanted to go and dress up at disneyland, they will turn u down.

but if u want to do cosplay, i highly recommend the halloween event at california adventure. it was a lot of fun getting all that candy!!! haha. (bf and i had like 10-20lbs worth !!! )

~daisysakura~
02-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Aww, when I saw this thread I suddenly got the earge to do like a Kairi cosplay at Disneyland. XD Aw well... I wonder if Wonderland would allow you to do something like that... *has a craving for funnel cake with strawberry sauce and vanilla icecream now XD*

Foos
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow. It seems Disneyland and Disney World operate differently on the costume policy. Glad Florida is insane enough to have theme parks to accomodate cosplayer weirdness.

phantomthief
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
As far as I know for Disneyworld Florida...
If it can pass for normal clothing you're a-ok ^______^

Leon went over just fine :3 Heck, Goofy and Minnie signed my Kingdom Hearts manga XD

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=623343
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=623340
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=623352

~Ari-chan

s0ra_xx
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Argh. I'm going to Disney World next year and I was planning on taking my costume. Oh well. I don't want to take that risk and get kicked out. D:

Nohirexi
02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I`ll probably do a small, somewhat subtle cosplay when I go back, but who knows. >>; I don`t feel like being kicked out of Disneyland. <<;

Cosplayangel09
02-14-2007, 11:55 PM
...and of course they let toddlers and younger kids in wearing costumes...I'm not about to run up to a 4 year old with an autograph book XD

ROFL^_^
i can picture an adult running up to some poor tired 4 yr old in a cinderella costume and asking for an autograph!^_^oh dear!

ArchFaith
02-15-2007, 01:10 AM
For people who say they've cosplayed Final Fantasy, Fullmetal Alchemist, kimonos, and others, I would say they let you into Disneyland/Disney World just because your costumes were not recognizable Disney outfits. I mean, Selphie from FFVIII or even Winry from FMA would look relatively normal to someone unfamiliar with anime...

Queen Anime 99
02-15-2007, 01:17 AM
You could probably get away with Kairi because all her outfits are pretty casual. Especially her outfit in KH1.
Aww, when I saw this thread I suddenly got the earge to do like a Kairi cosplay at Disneyland. XD Aw well... I wonder if Wonderland would allow you to do something like that... *has a craving for funnel cake with strawberry sauce and vanilla icecream now XD*

Nohirexi
02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
ROFL^_^
i can picture an adult running up to some poor tired 4 yr old in a cinderella costume and asking for an autograph!^_^oh dear!

That`d be so adorable, but so traumatizing. Imagine the poor little kid being chased around by adults x___x;;

tfcreate
02-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to cosplay at a theme park? Besides photo ops, I don't see the point. I'm a little confused.
TFC

Lisu-chan
02-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to cosplay at a theme park? Besides photo ops, I don't see the point. I'm a little confused.
TFC

For i.e. Kingdom Hearts, Alice in Wonderland it would be the ONLY perfect place to take photo's! And secretly we only want to go to Disney, and if it's in Cosplay, the better! XD

mlarad
02-17-2007, 03:29 AM
TFC

when you like for example kingdom hearts were in the story there are disney characters like mickey, donald, goofy, alice, peter pan and many many others. disneyland makes a perfect place for you to take pictures with this characters and also they have like the backgrounds, places like the ship from peter pan or the disney castle where you can get really nice shots there in costume.

tfcreate
02-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Sounds too much like work......
TFC

Serria
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
This isn't exactly cosplay, but when I went to Disney World in December, there were an insane amount of little girls dressed like various Disney princesses. And they were adorable. Though actually I think the costumes were made by Disney and they sold them right in the park...

Costume or no, I don't think Disney would care if your costume is more "realistic". Like something that normal people might wear.

Scruffy Rebel
02-17-2007, 01:41 PM
With three family members that have worked/are working at Disneyland, and having gone since I was a year old...TRUST ME, costumes ARE NOT allowed at Disneyland.

Now, that being said...it's not all that straightforward.

Children under a certain age are allowed to wear Disney costumes whenever they want because they are kids. If an adult tried to come in as Belle or something, they would not be allowed to enter the park. As others have already said, this is because Disney is not going to deal with the possible lawsuits and legal issues involved in case a guest mistakes you for a cast member and something goes wrong.

An adult is NEVER allowed to wear a Disney related costume inside the park, any time of the year. The ONLY time you can is during Mickey's Halloween Treat and that is only in California Adventure, NOT Disneyland Park itself. Kids AND adults are allowed to get candy, not just kids. Because I totally got oodles of candy from last year XD If you heard about someone that made it into Disneyland Park in a Disney costume, or were there when it happened...then that person was pretty damned lucky and must have gotten past a really lazy cast member or two. Disney Costumes are only allowed in California Adventure only during the Halloween Treat business.

Even though some people think "hey, I've cosplayed in Disneyland before", it's probably because to the average person most "costumes" just look like normal clothing or like you're some weird goth or theatre kid. Ed Elric is just some blonde kid in black pants and a red coat...Rinoa is just a girl with a blue robe and a jean skirt...ya know? We might take it to be obvious cosplays but for most people they're not at all. You could come in as something as loud as Naruto and you'd only get stares from people probably wondering why you were wearing something so warm in Southern California XD

So it really depends on how you classify "costume". Disney costumes are not allowed inside the Disney park whatsoever unless you're a cast member. Star Wars too for that matter now that they have the Jedi Academy going on. Anime costume are allowed only because they don't look like costumers per say...but I'd be careful on trying to see how far you could push it. Disney World has had their Star Wars Weekend for a couple of years now and people are allowed to come in SW gear for that to get pics and stuff. Disney in California hasn't started that yet, but when they do hopefully the same thing will be allowed.

During AX I think they were just more lenient because they knew there was this crazy convention gong on, and has been going on, for awhile.

If you tried to come in as Peter Pan or Alice in Wonderland to get KH pics...you will be turned away...and if you tried to change into that costume inside the park just to be sneaky, it'd only be a matter of time before you got hauled away and tortured by Mickey under a ToonTown house where they keep all the character heads...or something like that :p

Downtown Disney is a different issue...I'm not sure if they would allow you to wear what you want there since it's not inside the park.

~Scruffy

creative_cat
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I've heard about the rule that dressing up as a disney character is okay if you're 12 and under.

Otherwise, I've seen people one time walking to Space Mountain wearing the red and black Naruto outfits (bad ninjas...I really shoudl start watching Naruto now that the fillers are done with)

Tabby Catty
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I've heard about the rule that dressing up as a disney character is okay if you're 12 and under.

Otherwise, I've seen people one time walking to Space Mountain wearing the red and black Naruto outfits (bad ninjas...I really shoudl start watching Naruto now that the fillers are done with)

You mean the Akatsuki? Strange, because those trench coats look to costumy.

My mom doesn't let me do it on a regular basis anyways, I have to get past her if I want to cosplay in public. Only if I can prove to her and convince her if that is okay.

She just doesn't want me to be embarassed even though I'm not.

Sasutard
02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I run around in lolita all the time and I'm going to Disney World in April o_o Do you think they'll mind a poofy sailor-like white dress, among other accessories to go with? O_o; I sure hope not. Someone turning me down at the gates would not go well with me D<

Or does this only apply to DISNEY related costumes? Lolitas are okay? >_<?

Lil
02-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I've never had a problem dressing up pirate or Midevil in disney world (florida one).

I agree, I think the only thing they could get you for is if you are 'too good' and are mistaken for a paid character cast member. Ex: If you did an awsome Ariel. But if you are a Sailor Moon.... I doubt they would care. But this is just opinion, call them up and ask!

Suzaku7NoMiko
02-20-2007, 09:08 AM
For anyone who has attended Star Wars Weekends in MGM, how are they with the costuming over there... do they allow the random jedi/sith folk to cosplay for the weekend?

Volnixshin
02-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I wonder if you could apply for a job there, saying "Hey I created this Cos that you seem to like so much, what if I was one of your mascots instead?" Dude, getting a job to Cosplay all day, that's my DREAM JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzaku7NoMiko
02-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I used to be a costumed character for Disney Cruise Line.

It is awesomely fun, but also can be hard work (I did anywhere from 5 to 10 meet and greets a day, childrens programs, and also performed in the mainstage shows in the evening). I had a week's worth of character training before I donned the ears (you know who's ears, i dont need to mention!)

Sana-chan
02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
You're not allowed to wear costumes at Disneyland. The only acception to this rule is during Mickey's Halloween Treat over at Disney's California Adventure. Other then that, you have to be under 10-years-old (I think it was?) to be able to wear costumes any other time.

Of course little things, like say... a Prince of Tennis uniform, or a Naruto headband, you can always get away with. ^_~

Meganekko
02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
so..does this mean Inuyasha cant go to Universal Studios, or Wild Adventures (im in florida, but the park is in georgia)? I mean I could understand universal studios, but wild adventures Is like the cheapest theme park I have ever been too, but its fun

Gatack
02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok I got something here, we did a KH group in D-land back in December 06 the thing is we went for OG costume designs. Most of us in wigs and such. And the Xaldin we had did an awesome costume. And we got into the park without any hinderence. Not sure if it counts, but it was damn fun!

Group Pic!- http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4307/dlkhg01mn9.jpg

Volnixshin
02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I've worked as a mascot before..Pink Panther, Donald Duck, and some other thing I can't remember.

Zanny-chan
02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I went to Disney world during Thanksgiving this year as Sora the last day we were there and my little sis was partly Naruto. We had no problems. We even had the guy dressed as the Monkey King tell us nice costumes when we took a pic with him. And about 2 years ago we went the week before Christmas and I wore Itachi's coat the whole time... no problems then too. I plan on doing Sora again at the end of June. :D As for Universal I've just worn Sora's jacket cuz it was too hot last time I went there. There are some pics of me and my sis being dorks in Disney world...

NetBelleAnie
02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
There IS a way to do this, however you must have a costume that is not insanely obvious or unpackable. Dont attempt it with a costume that has an insanely recognizeable and unnatural hairstyle. If the costume can pass for normal clothing, or the wig is relatively narutal looking *Roxas, Sora, Marluxia could pass. Ansem, Xemnas, Axel probably could not*

First: someone needs a bag. A big bag to stuff all the outfits/wigs in. Security will have you open your bags, will shine a flashlight and poke around to make sure you're not the next Osama bin Laden, and then off you go into Disneyland.
Second: Head off to a bathroom, or a relatively uncrowded area of the park (around the Big Thunder Ranch or back of the Country Bear Cafe is a good area, in front in Pirates or the Carosel is not) and change your clothes, put your wig on, and regroup with your buddies if you are in a group.
Third: go have fun, but do NOT draw too much attention. Having fun taking pictures is normal, but try not to piss off other guests or annoy the cast members. While it might be fun for Xigbar to predent to shoot the cast members or Sora to threaten to shove a keyblade up your ass, you can get kicked out VERY quickly, and get the rest of your group caught.

If your costume seems to pass msot of the day with few odd looks, you can exit the park easily without any problems, but if you wear a more extensive costume, change back before leaving so if you intend to repeat the process, the front workers will let you back in.

I've known some people to do this successfully *a Xigbar and Marluxia went, and a Sora/Riku/Hayner went* so it CAN be done,, however at the same time another friend, a final form Xemnas was required to remove his coat.

Either way, good luck and have fun and remember kids, DON'T GET CAUGHT AND SCREW IT UP FOR THE REST OF US!

aki0shinobi
02-21-2007, 05:08 AM
i know what is going on...it's sooo obvious!!!those people from disneyland are jelous!!!imagine this: there are standing mickey mouse and cloud,of course you will run to cloud!!:bigtu:

tfcreate
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a novel suggestion.... try it. Try to cosplay there. If you aren't thrown out or arrested, then it works. But this is a bad place to seek validation to break someone else's rules.
TFC

jedimeg16
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
For anyone who has attended Star Wars Weekends in MGM, how are they with the costuming over there... do they allow the random jedi/sith folk to cosplay for the weekend?

Yes they do!

The last day of my first internship at WDW (the day I was flying home) was the first day of Star Wars Weekends 2004. My parents shipped down my entire Jedi Costume (lightsaber included) and I had no problem walking in or walking around. In fact several Cast Members mentioned that I needed to go get a picture with Jedi Mickey (which I did). It was a ton of fun, but very very hot after a while (it was May 14th).

Suzaku7NoMiko
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes they do!

The last day of my first internship at WDW (the day I was flying home) was the first day of Star Wars Weekends 2004. My parents shipped down my entire Jedi Costume (lightsaber included) and I had no problem walking in or walking around. In fact several Cast Members mentioned that I needed to go get a picture with Jedi Mickey (which I did). It was a ton of fun, but very very hot after a while (it was May 14th).

Awesome. Thanks! I know there are only specific events where costumes are welcome, I just wanted to be sure they were definitely allowing the non-
specific SW cosplayers in for the weekend :)

Capt_Lucifer
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Im going to Disney World (not Disney Land... as I can see from reading this, the two parks seem to have different rules when it comes to cosplaying) the end of August this year. I'm going to bring my Organization XIII coat with me into the park in a bag and whenever I feel the need to be a crazy cosplayer, I'm going to put it on with the hood up (my parents already hate my cosplaying and wearing a wig at Disney would just get me shot haha) and if I run into trouble or something I'll just take it off and put it back into my bag.

lmao, I already have a plan in my head of what to do when i see a Mickey chast member *evil look* mwahahaha! xD

Scruffy Rebel
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I wonder if you could apply for a job there, saying "Hey I created this Cos that you seem to like so much, what if I was one of your mascots instead?" Dude, getting a job to Cosplay all day, that's my DREAM JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend actually did that. He made a great Jack Sparrow, we worked forever researching the outfit and he was always making it better. He kept telling me how he wanted to be Jack at Disneyland (this was before they decided to have Jack there) and how he planned to wear the outfit there and be like "hey, hire me!"....I haven't seen him in a year but I found out he works as Jack there now and I saw him Monday, it was fantastic. It can be done!

~Scruffy

Phantom Pirate
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh man, I hope to get a job at Disneyland some day as Ariel or Belle...not just for the cosplay aspect, but I'm a hardcore Disney fan and I love making kids smile with my cartoon costumes :D

Suzaku7NoMiko
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh man, I hope to get a job at Disneyland some day as Ariel or Belle...not just for the cosplay aspect, but I'm a hardcore Disney fan and I love making kids smile with my cartoon costumes :D

If youre really interested be sure to check the website at disneycareers.com for audition dates and locations....they hold character auditions every so often.

I worked for Disney Cruise Line a while back. I auditioned here in NY and was offered a position that day, and had a weekend to think it over and sign an 8 month contract with the ship. :-) Good times were had.

VampireKitten
03-03-2007, 12:49 AM
To add a little bit of my know how to this soon to be dead thread:

Costumes are a no no at D-Land, anything that resembles a costume will be refused enterance (except for children) and I'm starting to hear that they are giving Lolitas a difficult time.

To add to the ever growing list they do not allow: Capes or Cloaks, Skirts on Men (I believe), Tails (I was asked to remove mine, but put it back on later), Fishnet on Men, and a few other things that just shouldn't be allowed in the park period. You will be asked to remove any and all of these things and place them in your car. I frequent D-land for Bats Day in the Fun Park every year, you just expect to see some of those things. (For those who don't know it's Goth day at Disneyland).

Queen Anime 99
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh my god! I would LOVE to do Heero Yuy at Disney Land (minus the gun, of course). ^_^ AND it's normal looking. Awesome.

Phantom Pirate
03-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Disney tries to keep very hard to keep their happy, family-friendly image, and I think it's rude for people to show up gothed out. Nothing wrong with cosplay, but I had a good laugh when a guy in front of us one time got denied entry to the park because he was wearing all black, had a GIANT black and red mowhawk, a facefull of piercings, and black lipstick.

VampireKitten
03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Disney tries to keep very hard to keep their happy, family-friendly image, and I think it's rude for people to show up gothed out. Nothing wrong with cosplay, but I seriously lold when a guy in front of us one time got DE-NIED because he was wearing all black, had a GIANT black and red mowhawk, a facefull of piercings, and black lipstick.

Keep in mind... Goths are people too! Lolitas, Cosplayers, and so on are JUST LIKE GOTHS at times. All have different styles and whatnot. Goth day has been at Disneyland for 10 years now (and it's one of the greatest days to go, the cast members have more fun as well because it's laid back, relaxed and Goths are some of the most friendly people I have eve met).

http://www.batsday.net

I am technically goth, so when I go to Disneyland it's in black cloths.

Miss_Kaoru
03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I kind of figured but I think they actually had a small con there a couple of years ago, I saw a picture of a cosplayer dressed as wakaba standing in the small world part of the park with a bunch of other cosplayers walking behind her.

VampireKitten
03-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Usually if it looks like normal clothing they accept it.. but anything that looks like a costume or something like a Disney Character on adults is forbidden.

Tigress
03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Disney tries to keep very hard to keep their happy, family-friendly image, and I think it's rude for people to show up gothed out. Nothing wrong with cosplay, but I seriously lold when a guy in front of us one time got DE-NIED because he was wearing all black, had a GIANT black and red mowhawk, a facefull of piercings, and black lipstick.

I had no problem getting in with my semi-goth attire. I wore black jeans and combat boots, black anime- or Wicca-themed T-shirts, a black mesh hoodie and my ball cap with Hello Kitty in a devil costume on it. I also wore my pentacle in plain view. The hoodie and ball cap were more to protect my skin from the sun, but it did raise a couple of eyebrows. Maybe I just have that air about me that says "I'm not here to cause trouble." (Shrugs.)

xXKujaXx
03-03-2007, 11:24 PM
To add a little bit of my know how to this soon to be dead thread:

Costumes are a no no at D-Land, anything that resembles a costume will be refused enterance (except for children) and I'm starting to hear that they are giving Lolitas a difficult time.

To add to the ever growing list they do not allow: Capes or Cloaks, Skirts on Men (I believe), Tails (I was asked to remove mine, but put it back on later), Fishnet on Men, and a few other things that just shouldn't be allowed in the park period. You will be asked to remove any and all of these things and place them in your car. I frequent D-land for Bats Day in the Fun Park every year, you just expect to see some of those things. (For those who don't know it's Goth day at Disneyland).

Pshhh, Screw that XD If I would wear a skirt and fishnets any other day I should allowed to wear it in disneyland XD Haha There should be a big crossplay group at Disney XD

SecretGeisha
03-04-2007, 12:49 AM
no tails? really? i was just at wdw mon-wed and saw a group of asian girls all dressed up like minnie and mickey with ears, face paint, tails, etc. o0

-wags fingers- i cosplay at disney world all the bloody time. but, its usually toned down stuff. i would NOT walk into the parks in full "so and so" garb, unless they look like normal clothes. for my 18th birthday in spring break, my kh group is going to wdw with kh wigs on and "normal clothes" that we think they might possibly wear at a theme park. why? because a picture of axel going down splash mountain screaming his head off is too much to pass up. people walk into the parks all the time with crazy colored hair/outfits.

disneyland i dont know so much about. i didnt like dl at all when i went last summer, but i know you can get away with crazy hair at wdw. as long as you arent a cm they cant say anything, and if anyone mistakes you for being "sora" just politely say "no, im not. but he's pretty cool, huh?" youd be surprised at how many seven year old friends you can make by just saying that. if i can get away with prancing about in riku colored hair and the most ive had asked to me was "dying accident?" i think im cool. :3

i actually adore disney to death, so i try and stick to the rules as much as possible. im going for a job there and should start the first of june, so i wouldnt do anything that could possibly screw me over. i think if one were to wear a wig, an outfit based off a certain character, while respecting the parks/other guests and having fun themselves, it should be no problem. youre paying to get through the doors just like everyone else, who cares if your hair looks different.

but honestly, i think the most they could do was ask you to take the wig off if it actually LOOKS like a wig. i dont see why they could, but its a possibility.

Spencer Sisters
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
This is odd. I'll have to ask and see if this is really true. I was planning to go Namine with my sister as Kairi in July, but at hearing this I'm a bit saddened. But since I know most of the staff, I guess I could get away with it... XP

But I'll ask and see for sure. Though I could understand dressing up as a Disney character (especially in a full body costume).

Miss_Kaoru
03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
heh heh carry a big beach bag with your costume in it, and put it on in one of the bathrooms. See what you can get away with because I figure if the people around the park think you got through the gate with what you now have on they won't bother you. j/k but im sure someone has done it!

SecretGeisha
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
heh heh carry a big beach bag with your costume in it, and put it on in one of the bathrooms. See what you can get away with because I figure if the people around the park think you got through the gate with what you now have on they won't bother you. j/k but im sure someone has done it!

lol if things look normal enough, it can be used as an excuse for a "change of clothes" after the water rides ;]

Kung_Fu_Candy
03-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm so glad I saw this thread! I'm going out to Cali for AX and my twin wants to go to Disneyland in Lacus Clyne/Meer Campbell cosplay. (even though I think those costumes would be hot and a huge pain in the ass throughout the day... XD)

mell_avery
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
i dont know o.o
but when i was 10 or younger i went to universal studios dressed like jasmine hahahah i dont know what i was thinking

Emi-hime
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I've been to Disney world so many times that the parks at that fun anymore...
I tend to go to Epcot and Animal kingdom and that's about it...

If I were to cosplay I would just go to Downtown Disney.
It is the shopping district of the Disney Resort complex.
They have a huge arcade with a cafe in it that would be perfect for Alice in Wonderland pictures...
There is also music stores, movie theaters, the theater for Cirque Du Soleil, toy stores, a Mini lego world, restuarants, and a bunch of other stuff.
If you wander around enough you can find some great places to take pictures.
And since it isn't a park or anything, just a shopping complex they can't kick you out.
My parents are part of the Disney Vacation club so we stay on property and I'd just take the bus over.

MeilinII
03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Downtown Disney WOULD be a good place for our KH photoshoot. That and the hotels... thanks, all.

Melodious Nocturne
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
what if i just wear my demyx wig, everyone thinks it's my real hair XD but wear like different clothes of something, if they can't reconize who i am, i should be alright, right? XD

xXKujaXx
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Holy Crap XD I started this topic 8 months ago, it's weird to see it active again XD It is very helpful thouh X3

SiriusLoveGirl
10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Someday I am totally wearing my Olette costume without the wig to Disney. I think it's casual enough that I'll get away with it. :D

idiots-inc
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I guess maybe you can wear a cosplay costume, as long as it's not involved with Disney?
And obviously, kids can dress up as Disney characters since no one will mistake you for a cast member.

Honey Usagi-chi
10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Marilyn Manson was kicked out of the Disney parks 3 times. He lol'd when Disney called him up to remake Danny Elfman's "This is Halloween" xD I think he only managed to go to Disney world/land when he was invited to the POTC 3 premier by his bud, Johnny~

People should know though that going to a little-kid family park all gothed up won't work. Seriously, common sense.

Vinyahuinewen
10-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Walt Disney World, you can. ONLY for special events though, for reasons already stated (i.e confusion with face characters)

the Pirate and Princess parties at WDW and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party allow for dressing up, even in Disney costumes...they just ask that you don't pose for pictures with strangers. No one enforces this though ;) I imagine Disneyland's policy is similiar, I think they have a Halloween party. As for regular park visits, unless you are 5 and want to dress up as a princess, you don't want to dress up. Believe me, visiting a park all day in Florida weather....sneakers, shorts, and a comfortable shirt and plenty of sunscreen is key.

Universal Studio's doesn't allow dressing up on Halloween Horror Nights (their party) because they don't have as strict a dress code as Disney (provocative clothing not allowed, obviously) and so they don't want to bother with it altogether.

I've met several cosplayers when I worked at the Magic Kingdom at WDW. They loved the Pirate and Princess parties; simply because they could showcase their costumes. I saw some pretty awesome looking homemade ones!

Once outside of Splash Mountain Photo (where you see your picture after the ride, where I worked normally) I saw a man dressed head to toe in a Scooby Doo costume, just chillin out by the bathrooms. The puzzling thing was...it was December. And thats not even Disney xD

as for the Disney not allowing Goth people....not so true. I saw plenty of them on a regular basis. It's very possible that 'the World is laxer in rules...for instance walking around in a bikini top is acceptable, but just wearing a bra isn't. In rides where you get your picture taken, like SM, we had to delete pictures of people shirtless or wearing bras, but we let bikini tops go by. Same for all types of fashion styles; if they allow one kind, they're gonna allow another. I've never seen or known of a goth group (or any specialized group) kicked out of any park, unless their behavior warrented it.

EDIT: like I said, thats just what I know with WDW. Disney parks vary in policy; each park has their own board and presidents.

EDIT take two: what some of the other posters have said about the resorts being amazing photo ops...too true. Disney prides itself on theming, and so depending on what you want to get a shot with, (*cough* serengetti at animal kingdom lodge *cough*) its basically going to be awesome to the max ;) Better to do any sort of dressing up there or Downtown Disney...they pretty much allow anything. Hit up the clubs in cosplay :D

Indy Tarquinson
10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Wagh, there goes my dream of Sora traipsing through and chasing after King Mickey or Goofy. XD

DisneyWorld ftw with it's lax-er rules!

I wonder though, is it possible to get away with dressing up as something as recognizable as a fully-dressed Sora, wig and everything? Because it really would be awesome to go to Magic Kingdom or wherever and get pictures with Donald and his ilk. A keyblade is obviously out of the question though.

And Downtown Disney IS awesome. I love the stores there.

Tabby Catty
10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, the thing is, my mom is the first line of defense when it comes to those things, she won't even let me leave the hotel room if I'm in costume, seriously...

But yeah, what about Cedar Point which I sometimes go to? I read the guide and it just said as long as it isn't a mask or any weapons or anything, its fine. At least thats my impression.

orca_sora
10-29-2007, 11:38 AM
This topic has been beaten like a dead horse - there's also discussion on the "Other" board for conventions. Clearly, Disney World is a lot less strict about costumes than Disneyland. Anime, game, and general Japanese costumes are safe because most of the time they either look too much like street clothes or no one knows what they are. As long as you don't go in a mask, they won't turn you away. Disney World DOES allow adult Disney cosplayers during Mickey's Not-So-Scary, but as already stated, you are asked not to sign autographs or pose for photos. Now, unless you go as one of the Disney characters, dressing up in Kingdom Hearts costumes year-round is something they actually see very often. I wouldn't go dressed as a general Disney character, though, at any other time; definitely you'd probably be asked to change then.

In fact, last year when my group did Sora, Riku, and Kairi, we were actually more popular with the Cast Members! The ride operator at the Mad Tea Party actually held up the ride a few minutes in order to come fanboy us. We were dressed in full costume, sans the keyblades, wigs and all. This year, Kairi had a "wardrobe malfunction" so she couldn't wear her costume, so I went as Host Club's Haruhi (THAT was interesting to explain to everyone), she went as a butterfly fairy, and our Riku managed to get together a Deep Dive costume. When Riku walked in, one of the Cast Members got excited and said she saw another Sora and Riku the previous evening. We met up with another cosplay.com member who was dressed as Axel, wig and everything.

So, don't worry, if you're visiting at least the Magic Kingdom in Orlando and planning to cosplay. Also as already stated, each theme park has it's own rules and regulations as far as attire. I can't speak for Sea World and Universal Studios, although the latter does NOT allow costumes of any form at any time of year - not even at Halloween Horror Nights. It's explicitly stated.

I also agree, though, that unless it's Halloween ... trust me, you don't want to go to ANY theme park in costume. Costumes are hot enough as it is at conventions, you'll seriously be even MORE uncomfortable in Florida AND Californian heat and humidity. I got every Halloween time to NSS, and every year seem to pick the night when it's hot and humid. We're VERY happy to get back to our rooms to take it all off at the end of the evening.

Akibie
11-04-2007, 04:20 PM
it shoud be okay to be sora because he belongs to squarsoft... not disney.

bubblefairy03
11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Man, my school goes to Disney World every year for the senior class trip. I'm going to be a senior next year and I wanted to make Ariel's blue dress to wear there. :( It's semi-casual. A lot more casual than her fins or pink gown. . . Think it would be okay?
I also wanted to go as Mulan. Maybe some of her more casual kimono's would be okay? (ie: not the pink one in the beginning)
And isn't Disney World where that Harry Potter park is going to be? I wonder what the rules will be then. I'd love to crossplay as Ron. ^_^ Or maybe I'll settle for a female character, so as not to confuse the little kids. lol.
I guess all Beauty and the Beast costumes are a no-no though. Perhaps I could get away with her blue dress if I put the apron in a bag and put it on later. I don't know if I want to risk that though!

kojirojames2004
11-05-2007, 11:44 PM
You're thinking Universal Studios Florida where the harry Potter theme area will be, but not until 2009 from what I hear.

bubblefairy03
11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh, I didn't know where it was going to be. Just some where in the Disney area. (which for a lot of people, probably means all of Florida. XP) 2009 is the year that I'm going though, so it should be built by then.

AuroraHermione
11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
As long as it's not a Disney character and not too blatently a costume, you can probably get away with it at Disneyland. My friends and I wore our Bleach school uniforms with wigs and everything and didn't have a problem (although the bangs on my wig apparently made me look a lot younger, because the lady at the gate made me get out my drivers license to prove it was me on my pass... I found this ironic since the picture is about 4 years old XD). We've seen people dressed as Kingdom Hearts people as well. I wouldn't wear a Disney character costume though.

Kyasaren
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I saw 3 Naruto cosplayers when I was in Busch Gardens xD

kairislife
11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
yay!
im like so happy
im going to disney world in januray
and man it might be cold but i want to go as kairi!
lol
and my outfit aint a full piece
it s a 2 piecei u know shirt and skirt
so i should pass right
????

Arielle
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
i tried to go to D-Land on halloween night in costume about 3 years ago in a disney costume-I was Alice ^^ and they had a fit! They DO NOT encourage any girls over the age of, say 10 in a disney costume. I had made mine myself, and although it was slightly different from the park's version of Alice (I modeled mine exclusively after the movie, and their's has different fabric and lots of lace) they told me immediately I had to change. I told them I had no other clothes with me. Then they said I had to remove as much of my costume as possible, so I took off the apron and put on a white sweater. They finally let me into the park (2 of my friends dressed up as non-disney characters-one in a prom dress and tiara, one in a cape, and they got in ok) but a few steps into the park some employee comes up to me and says, "you need to take off your sash/bow." i was so mad! I told her no, it was holding my dress up and covering a huge hole and was attached, so I got away with it. She made me stuff it up under my sweater, almost shoving my friends aside to do it for me, and I tolerated it for 3 seconds then ran away and as soon as I was out of her vision range, I pulled it back out.

Regardless, I still had tons of little kids recognize me and come up to me! At least they still knew who I was.

There were 2 pple that were behind us in AMAZING cosplays, and I don't know who they were-one girl looked like she could have been the queen of hearts, but they were in amazing gowns, and they WERE NOT let into the park at all. So sad for them! And it looked like they worked for months on those costumes, too!

I heard now they have a halloween event the thursday before halloween where you are allowed to dress up. I know some pple that went (as harry potter characters) and had no problems. it might just be in dca. So, point being, don't cosplay as a recognizable disney character unless you want to be harassed! I learned my lesson! ^^

itsuki<3pudding
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Maybe OT, but I heard that they aren't going to be having staff members dressed up in Harry Potter land. I'd assume that full Hogwarts getup would be turned away, but I think they will probably be selling costumes in the shops. Or at least pieces of them, like the scarves. So you might be able to get away with it if you change inside.

Oh, and you can't wear one of Mulan's kimonos because she's Chinese.

bubblefairy03
11-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Because she's Chinese? Most people can't pronouce kimono, let along be able to defrentiate it from a Japanese one. *grumble grumble* Oh well, that's the answer I expected. XD Tis a pity though.
Cosplaying Disney is okay in Universal Studies though, right?
(ps: itsuki, I love you icon! :P)

itsuki<3pudding
11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Kimono isn't that hard to pronounce. o.O I meant that since she is Chinese she wouldn't be wearing a kimono, but whatever that particular Chinese dress is called. You can still do the outfit.

(ps: thanks ^.^)

Akatsuki_08
11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
wow...thats very interesting...I never knew this. good thing I know now, just in case, lol.

orca_sora
11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
For whatever reason, Disneyland is a lot more strict about the public in costumes than Disney World. At WDW, you're just asked not to pose for photos/sign autographs if you're not a Cast Member and dressed like a Disney character. My good friend dressed like Alice last year for Not-So-Scary and didn't have a problem; plus she was a Cast Member, so she would've known. I've seen some pretty elaborate D-Princess costumes done by guests and no one had a problem. In fact, this year, everyone seemed to go all-out more than usual. One family did a group cosplay from the Haunted Mansion and were so good, I seriously thought they were Cast Members. One woman actually rode around in a cart with her head stuck out of the top into an open glass bowl to look like the head in the crystal ball. Needless to say, we never had a problem wearing our KH cosplays. We were actually quite popular, mainly with the Cast Members.

Of course, that's for during the Halloween event. I've never cosplayed there at any other time of the year, although I know people who've done so in KH cosplays and didn't have problems. If you were to dress like a D-Princess in March and aren't 12, it may be a different story.

Universal Studios, at least for their Halloween event, does NOT allow anyone in costume. As for at any other time, I have no idea. Seriously guys, it's best to call the parks before you attend to make sure it's allowed to come in ANY costume. You don't want to get caught like Arielle did without a change of clothes when you're turned away - or get forced to buy yourself a very expensive change of souvenir clothes.

kojirojames2004
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Arielle, now we know why Disneyland is so anal retentive around Halloween.

bubblefairy03
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Kimono isn't that hard to pronounce. o.O I meant that since she is Chinese she wouldn't be wearing a kimono, but whatever that particular Chinese dress is called. You can still do the outfit.

I know, but you'd be surprised how many "kam-ono"ers there are out there. XD
Oh okay, so do you I could do her casual outfit? The one that's yellow on the bottom, green on the top, blue in the middle with a red obi? (That's such a awful description, but I can't think of when she wears it in the movie! Gah! You probably don't have a clue what I'm gabbering about! @_@)
And does anyone know of some casual or semi-casual Disney outfits that AREN'T long sleeved? If on the off chance I do manage to sneak my way into Disney World in costume, I don't want to roast to death! Though, I guess that's just the way life is for cosplayers sometimes . . . ^^; None the less, suggestions would be appreciated.

This is totally and completely off topic, but does anyone know if these rules apply to Broadway? I'd love to cosplay one of Glinda's more toned down outfits and go to see Wicked in it! ^_^

tfcreate
11-20-2007, 01:11 AM

I believe you mean a Qipao. From the Ranma 1/2 series, Shampoo would wear one from time to time. The formal ones are quite lovely and intriacte in design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_pao

Frankly I'm surprised that this thread keeps coming back.
Why does everyone feel that they have a right to go onto someone else's property and cosplay when it's CLEARLY against their rules.
Thanks to those who insist on breaking their rules. You're helping to give cosplayers a reputation of being pushy and disrespectful. Nice going. :hafha: :bigcry:
TFC

bubblefairy03
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I believe you mean a Qipao. From the Ranma 1/2 series, Shampoo would wear one from time to time. The formal ones are quite lovely and intriacte in design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_pao

Why does everyone feel that they have a right to go onto someone else's property and cosplay when it's CLEARLY against their rules.
Thanks to those who insist on breaking their rules. You're helping to give cosplayers a reputation of being pushy and disrespectful. Nice going. :hafha: :bigcry:
TFC
No, that's not what Mulan wears. (I have to agree with you that they are lovely, though! ^_^)
Here's what seems to be her most cosplayed outfit looks like:
http://www.wallpaperlink.com/images/wallpaper/2007/0703/03192x.jpg
Sorry I couldn't find a better pic!
The outfit I was talking about though is this:
http://www.wallpaper.cz/primo/old_ir/mulan4--400x300.jpg
The latter outfit is pretty more uncommon to see, and she doesn't wear it that much, so I was inquiring if it would be acceptable to wear.

And please don't be upset with all of us here. I believe this thread was made with good intentions. As cosplayers, we all share the desire to express our love for a fandom by mimicking the characters. But we want to be respectful about it. If we didn't care, why bother posting here? We would all just barge in! XD
No one wants to cause a scene or be turned away at the door, but the rules AREN'T that clear to us. I guess it does seem like it should be obvious that cosplaying isn't aloud in Disney, but before this thread, it never crossed my mind!! I was ready to waltz up to the gates dressed in Belle's yellow gown! But now, thanks to this thread, I'm not going to be humiliated! Yay!
But I don't think looking for a more subtle way to express our Disney love is wrong. If you dress as an obscure character and the people at the gates don't recognize you, then probably the only people who will are fellow die-hard fans like yourself, which seems like a great way to meet people to me!
Anyway um, sorry for the rant. >.> I just wanted to make the point that we're just simple people who love Disney, not law breaking criminals out to beak up Mickey's guard. :toothy:
Disney love, disney love, rah, rah, rah!

tfcreate
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh, then Hanfu perhaps? A Qipao is more a modern than those discussed. (Look about half-way down the page. Nice illustrations!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese_clothing
TFC

xXKujaXx
11-20-2007, 03:34 PM
TFC

IAWTC I started this thread over a year ago with a simple question of "Is it allowed or not". After the first page of "No, It's against the rules" there was really nothing left to say. It was even horribley necro'd after like 8 months of being dead.

I also have to agree that trying to accomplish Disneyland cosplay in an underhanded manner such as changing inside the park is not good for the reputation of cosplayers.

Vash_Fanatic
11-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe they just don't want their costumes to be beaten! xD

kojirojames2004
11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
But at Disney World's Magic Kingdom, they're planning more of those "Pirate and Princess" party events thirteen times starting in January, and cosplaying as buccaneers and royals is encouraged.

bubblefairy03
11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh, then Hanfu perhaps? A Qipao is more a modern than those discussed. (Look about half-way down the page. Nice illustrations!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese_clothing
TFC
Yeah, that looks pretty similar. There are some minor differences, but nothing squabble worthy. It makes sense too, since Mulan is set in the past. ^_^ Hanfu it is then!

VampireLarin
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
If you go to youtube and look at FightingDreamersPro videos they actualy cosplayed in disney land for like half the day but they were asked to change because they were mistaken for staff. I think that they wont let you cosplay as DISNEY charecters... I AM ACTULAY PLANING TO GO WITH A GROUP AND WERE ALL GOING TO COSPLAY AS NARUTO CHARECTERS!! that'll throw em off.... lol CARTOON NETWORK INVAIDED DISNEY! imgian the youtube hits on that lol!

kojirojames2004
08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Why did you have to bump this up?

ScarletRhapsody
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I've seen / done casual Lolita at Disneyland before. I wouldn't go all out Lolita, not for Disneyland.

The only time where I'd feel fine dressing up at Disneyland would be during the Halloween event at California Adventures. I've done Pokemon, Bleach, and Avatar.

Teh Pocky Ninja
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
FDP did it, but got asked to go change :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDk81QP3QjU&feature=channel_page

orca_sora
08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
The Disney parks have strict rules on costumes, particularly Disneyland. Really, the only time when it is allowed is during their Halloween event--and from what I hear, Disneyland does not allow the public to attend in costume, while Disney World does. My group cosplays every year for their Halloween event, and we did Kingdom Hearts in 2006--as long as you do not pose for photos with people and give autographs, they do not have a problem. Generally.

Thowra
08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
The Disney parks have strict rules on costumes, particularly Disneyland. Really, the only time when it is allowed is during their Halloween event--and from what I hear, Disneyland does not allow the public to attend in costume, while Disney World does. My group cosplays every year for their Halloween event, and we did Kingdom Hearts in 2006--as long as you do not pose for photos with people and give autographs, they do not have a problem. Generally.

I've never been there during Halloween, But my Inuyasha Group and myself are thinking of making the drive to Cally. So there fine with it as long as you don't take photos with other people?

orca_sora
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm only familiar with Disney World in Florida, and it's generally only acceptable during special events (particularly the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party). I've heard of others going to the parks during other times of the year in costume, though primarily as Kingdom Hearts characters; I'm uncertain as to whether or not they were asked to change. From what I can tell, they weren't even in full costume, either. Waaay too hot for that, anyway.

From what I've been told, Disneyland in California does not allow people in costumes, even during their Halloween event. Unless you're 8 years old dressed as a princess or pirate.

KenS
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I was at Anime Expo the first year it was at the Disneyland hotel, and partway through the weekend it was announced to the con that costumes were not allowed in Disneyland, partly due to the tons of people who tried to attend in costume the first day. I'm not sure, but I think the policy may have been created just because of that weekend.

Deuce'N'Domino
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
From what I've been told, Disneyland in California does not allow people in costumes, even during their Halloween event. Unless you're 8 years old dressed as a princess or pirate.

Not in Disneyland, but in Disney's California Adventure, they're allowed(Mickey's Trick or Treat Party or whatever it's called now).

Cheshare
08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
as far as I know:

wear a cosplay thats not so sand out ish, like i would go with kairi instead of princess Euphinia, they would turn an Euphy (in her ball gown) away more likly than a kairi which is closer to normal clothes.

what a lot of people do is wear their wigs with casual clothes : o theyll ussualy let you in then, I just wouldnt expect to get in wearing a full out gown with a fancy head peace and staff, thats a no.

EvilCrash
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
well actually you are allowed to cosplay inside Buuuut~! they shouldn't be able to recognize the character so the character would have to be really generic which in the end isn't fun...

lolz XD

BlackFoxDesu
08-08-2009, 09:06 PM
you can't I wanted to wear my roxas crossplay to disney land but my cosplay partner said you can't

FuriePhoenix
08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
that sucks.. coz im going to the pairs one in two weeks and i wanted to go for one day as ariel if i got the chance to meet her (sad i know!)... not fair.. all the little kids get all the fun!

Tigress
08-29-2009, 08:46 PM
You can cosplay at Disneyworld/land, but the staff is picky about which they will allow. (So you don't get mistaken for the people that work there. If you get hurt, make a scene or get swarmed with picture requests, it could mean bad PR or even a lawsuit for the park.)

The best thing to do is call ahead, ask to speak with a manager and make sure that your cosplay will be okay to wear in the park.

SimaraSun
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
What if you cosplay something not disney or kingdom hearts realated thats not too crazy.

soraxriku4eva
07-11-2010, 03:44 PM
hm... theres an awful lot about the Disney in Florida/cali but what about the Disney in Paris? im going there next January and have considered cosplaying on previous trips before but it just didnt happen, this time i was considering doing a sweet lolita kind of thing, does anyone think i would have problems with this? im debating it because
1. im going at the end of Janurary when its normally pretty quiet because its between the seasonal events so there isnt much going on, and
2. becuase im staying in the Disneyland hotel and wouldnt be able to resist geting some lolita pictures in that hotel and for those who dont know, the Disneyland hotel is littrely the gates to the disneyland park, so getting changed wouldnt be too much bother...

soraxriku4eva
07-11-2010, 03:46 PM
hm... theres an awful lot about the Disney in Florida/cali but what about the Disney in Paris? im going there next January and have considered cosplaying on previous trips before but it just didnt happen, this time i was considering doing a sweet lolita kind of thing, does anyone think i would have problems with this? im debating it because
1. im going at the end of Janurary when its normally pretty quiet because its between the seasonal events so there isnt much going on, and
2. becuase im staying in the Disneyland hotel and wouldnt be able to resist geting some lolita pictures in that hotel and for those who dont know, the Disneyland hotel is littrely the gates to the disneyland park, so getting changed wouldnt be too much bother...

mandi_uchiha
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm tempted to cosplay at disenyland paris too! though mine might be summer....should i go for obvious cosplay that may or may not get me kicked out or not so obvious xD

soraxriku4eva
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm tempted to cosplay at disenyland paris too! though mine might be summer....should i go for obvious cosplay that may or may not get me kicked out or not so obvious xD

hm... depending on where your staying, and how long your going for, i would suggest talking which ever cosplay you want to do more, then... how to word this.... test the waters so to speak... by going in one day wearing part of the cosplay... maybe the wig (if theres one needed) then maybe the top half or bottom half, for a coupple of hours to see how the cast members/ those maning the gates react to half of the cosplay and of it goes down alright wear the full thing the next day...

JassaxRae
07-23-2010, 02:45 AM
I've seen thats SOME wigs can get in. But you realllyyy can't push it. :T

kiratsukai
07-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Just to reitterate what's already been said:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm

"Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)" are against the rules.

Those are the rules. It's up to you to follow them or not and it's up to park staff to enforce them or not, but they're well within their right to throw you out in the event you don't comply (and likely without refunding your money). Breaking the rules willfully doesn't do anything to boost the image of cosplayers... but in the end, if you want to be a turd, that's on you :)

As for exceptions ~

I can only speak for Japanese Disney but cosplay is against the rules on normal business days. Wearing an obvious costume will result in your being asked to change or being escorted politely out. They do, however, hold special events in which costumes are welcome (and encouraged) in the park. Even costumes usually reserved for cast members only are okay on some of them. Tokyo Disney has a weekend long Halloween celebration that's very popular with cosplayers and always yeilds a lot of amazing Disney-themed costumes and photos.

soraxriku4eva
07-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Just to reitterate what's already been said:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm

"Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)" are against the rules.

Those are the rules. It's up to you to follow them or not and it's up to park staff to enforce them or not, but they're well within their right to throw you out in the event you don't comply (and likely without refunding your money). Breaking the rules willfully doesn't do anything to boost the image of cosplayers... but in the end, if you want to be a turd, that's on you :)

As for exceptions ~

I can only speak for Japanese Disney but cosplay is against the rules on normal business days. Wearing an obvious costume will result in your being asked to change or being escorted politely out. They do, however, hold special events in which costumes are welcome (and encouraged) in the park. Even costumes usually reserved for cast members only are okay on some of them. Tokyo Disney has a weekend long Halloween celebration that's very popular with cosplayers and always yeilds a lot of amazing Disney-themed costumes and photos.

hm... well thats very fustrating lolita isnt cosplay and what about the rules for DLRP?

Axelai
08-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I was about to quote the disneyland website, but i see someone else has! Well, the Disneyworld website has been quoted. For fun, here's the DisneyLAND site:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/

"Only Guests ages 9 and under may wear costumes into the theme parks. Costumes should be child friendly, meaning they must be non-obstructive, non-offensive and nonviolent. The following are not permitted:

Masks or makeup that might be construed as a mask
Toy weapons or accessories that resemble an actual weapon
Costumes that drag on the ground
Sharp or pointed objects that may accidentally strike another Guest

Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort Guidelines

In addition to the guidelines above, the age restriction is raised to include Guests ages 12 and under. Also, Guests dressed as Disney Characters are advised to not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.

Special Event Guidelines

All of the above guidelines apply to special events, with these exceptions:

Guests of any age may wear costumes.
Guests may wear masks, but they must not obstruct vision and the Guest's eyes must be visible at all times.
Special events may include events at Disneyland Resort Hotels, private parties or ticketed events hosted at the Theme Parks by the Disneyland Resort (such as Mickey's Halloween Party). Event-specific information posted on disneyland.com will clarify whether costumes are permitted. Please note that Grad Nite is not a costumed special event.

This information is subject to change without notice."

There you go. So even Halloween, you can't cosplay unless you're 12 or under. Sucks :<

EDIT: The 9 and under rule applies to Paris too. I just saw this news thing while looking up the rules: http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/04/20/mother-dressed-as-princess-banned-from-disneyland-paris/

Luxuria85
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Actually Axelai...for the Halloween event adults can. Here is correct information about specifically THIS YEARS Mickey's Halloween Party (which will now be in Disneyland!). The FAQs obviously needs to update:

"Mickey's Halloween Party promises lots of fun for the littlest trick-or-treaters as well as adults! Throughout the spookiest month of the year, Disneyland Park hosts an exciting event where you can experience Disney's unique spin on Halloween.

Don't miss out on:

* Exclusive viewing of the boo-tiful Halloween Screams fireworks spectacular
* Exclusive access to nearly all Disneyland Park attractions, including all the Halloween-themed attractions such as Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and Haunted Mansion Holiday
* Earlier access to the Park beginning at 3:00 p.m. for Tuesday 6:00 p.m. events and 4:00 p.m. for Friday and Halloween 7:00 p.m. events
* Lively music so your bones can boogie
* Even more special treat stations offering both candy and healthy goodies
* Creepy crafts and activities for the whole family
* Plenty of costumed Characters to meet and greet
* Plus, lots more entertainment for little boys and ghouls!

Costume Information

All event attendees — including adults — may dress in their favorite Halloween costume and must follow these and other guidelines as determined solely by Disney:

* Costumes should be child-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive or violent.
* Guests may wear masks. However, masks must not obstruct vision and eyes must be visible at all times.
* Guests who dress like Disney Characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
* Costumes should not drag on the ground.
* Costumes should not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
* Costumes should not contain any weapons which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
* Guests of all ages may only wear costumes to the Disneyland® Resort Halloween event to which they have valid tickets.
* During normal Park operating hours, costumes are permitted only for Guests ages 9 and younger.

Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into the event unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards."

This information was obtained from: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/special-offers/mickeys-halloween-party/

Axelai
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Luxuria, thats mentioned in my post XD It says this in my post:

Special Event Guidelines

All of the above guidelines apply to special events, with these exceptions:

Guests of any age may wear costumes.
Guests may wear masks, but they must not obstruct vision and the Guest's eyes must be visible at all times.
Special events may include events at Disneyland Resort Hotels, private parties or ticketed events hosted at the Theme Parks by the Disneyland Resort (such as Mickey's Halloween Party). Event-specific information posted on disneyland.com will clarify whether costumes are permitted. Please note that Grad Nite is not a costumed special event.

Special Event = Mickey's Halloween Party

Which isn't the normal park, its a special party you pay extra for. Like, you buy an extra $55 plus park admission to go to the party, in which you can dress up for.

My original post was mainly so people know that on a normal park day, paying nothing extra, you can't go in Disneyland in costume. You WILL be asked to leave or to change. On special event days (also, like i said), you can dress up. But thats only for events you pay extra for.

Luxuria85
08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Luxuria, thats mentioned in my post XD It says this in my post:

Special Event = Mickey's Halloween Party

Which isn't the normal park, its a special party you pay extra for. Like, you buy an extra $55 plus park admission to go to the party, in which you can dress up for.

My original post was mainly so people know that on a normal park day, paying nothing extra, you can't go in Disneyland in costume. You WILL be asked to leave or to change. On special event days (also, like i said), you can dress up. But thats only for events you pay extra for.

Sorry, I read it wrong obviously so no need to pull that face (mainly the 12 and under thing. The way you worded it). Also, I know about the park and the Halloween special event. I've been the last 2 years for it when it was in California Adventure.

I still have yet to see people actually get turned away in all my years of going to DL though, and I've seen some winners. Oh well.

Axelai
08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Sorry, I read it wrong obviously so no need to pull that face (mainly the 12 and under thing. The way you worded it). Also, I know about the park and the Halloween special event. I've been the last 2 years for it when it was in California Adventure.

I still have yet to see people actually get turned away in all my years of going to DL though, and I've seen some winners. Oh well.

Pull what face? o:

Yeah, this is the first year in awhile its been at Disneyland, so i'm going to it. I get discounts cuz of annual pass (yay!).

And i've seen quite a few people turned away, actually. Not on Halloween Day itself, though. Just my younger cousin trying to wear his Sora outfit in the park, as well as other friends of mine. They'd always pack extra clothes in the car, just in case.

kojirojames2004
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually, MHP is a "seperate ticket" event. You just need to pay the fee for that ticket alone.

tfcreate
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I have to wonder if this actually belongs in the photoshoot thread.
So far NO mention or even intent to do a cosplay photoshoot at Disney was made, only to cosplay there. Not to mention that this thread has devolved into little more than a place to scheme to break the rules of an establishment.
TFC

kkoganei1328
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm so glad I saw this thread, I wasnt thinking of going this year....but if its at disneyland.............ah!!!!!!

Axelai
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Actually, MHP is a "seperate ticket" event. You just need to pay the fee for that ticket alone.

Oh really? Cool then! XD I've never been to it when i actually paid for the ticket... my mom usually paid mine. Haha. Good to know :3

CosplayCinema
01-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Do they get mad when you cosplay characters from Kingdom Hearts on the park grounds? Cause my boyfriend, his friends and i wanted to go in cosplay :o

Eau de Decus
01-01-2011, 04:30 AM
As far as I know, you're not allowed to cosplay in Disneyland because you might be confused with staff, but don't quote me on that. Just seemed like the general consensus from another thread on the topic: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=103735

saiyamanmasenko
01-01-2011, 05:00 AM
I know for a fact that you are not allowed to come dressed as any character that is represented inside the park. I have heard stories of people getting away with Kingdom Hearts since the characters original to KH are more SquareEnix's thing, but I'm not 100% sure you can get away with it. Disney is a company that is more than happy to sue people for copyright issues and won't hesitate to remove people from the parks if they feel like it. I suppose you could always try calling or e-mailing somebody.

CosplayCinema
01-01-2011, 05:07 AM
-rubs brain from all the reading- Well i'm sure we could get away with just our wigs D:

marshmallowpie
01-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if it was her (though I see it could have been, since she is in Florida), but when I was at Disney World a few years ago, I saw someone dressed up all Pikachu themed, kind of like PikaBelleChu here (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/129013/). That would have been kind of awesome if it was her.

I'd love to cosplay at a theme park, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do anything to crazy looking, I wouldn't want to lose a wig or something on a roller coaster. XD But Seychelles would be nice and normal.

KaleiDoVi
01-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the only ways this could cause a problem is if you're dressing up as a character represented in the park (Mistaken for staff), have a mask covering your face (Like the ANBU from Naruto), or have some kind of a weapon (I'd refrain from bringing props, not all people may know they're props).

Basically, as long as you don't plan on cosplaying something DISNEY, or something that could look like a danger to other guests, I don't think they have a good reason to kick you out.

CosplayCinema: KH is still part-owned by Disney, though, so some kids may think you're staff. But I think wearing casual clothes and a wig would be fine. Just be careful about the wigs falling off! x3

This is on a normal day, I think MHP is pretty much free-range cosplay day. XD

Rogue-dono
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I wonder if Disney would allow photoshoots, if they were a licensed shoot with professionals, and as long as Disney gets some sort of fee from it? Im just really curious. I was reading through these posts, and I remember one of my friends from out of state talking about how they wished that they could do a professional shoot with Disney Land's or Disney World's backgrounds. I know it will probably be impossible, but its an interesting thought. :/ I think it would even have to be on a day where the park is closed or something, and they have some sort of special VIP access. :/

Nothing really important, but just a thought.

Axelai
01-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I know for a FACT that you're not allowed to wear any Disney related costumes (this includes Kingdom Hearts) in the park unless you're age 8 or younger. Don't quote me on the exact age, but i think it was 8 or 9.

I know a lot of people who wore Kingdom Hearts to the park and have gotten asked to change clothing.

A lady in a wedding dress was asked to take the dress off, since it could have been mistaken for a princess dress.

Basically, the rule of thumb is this; If you can be mistaken as a Disney staff member by someone who doesn't know Disney super well, but knows what it is, you may be asked to change clothing. So if your costume resembles something that can be interpreted as Disney, you can't wear it.

Sometimes you can get away with it, but sometimes staff will ask you to change. It just depends on who sees you.

Casual costumes, wigs, etc, should be fine. But anything elaborate, and you'll probably get asked to change.

01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Before tron came out I saw pics of a couple that cosplayed tron outfits. They were welcomed and were even posted on the Disney blog! So from what has been established is that no Disney owned char can be cosplayed unless ur a little kid but there is some confusion to what other costumes u can cosplay. Some have gotten away while others haven't been so lucky.

Can u cosplay anime char on a normal day that isn't too casual but not to extravagent

Axelai
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Before tron came out I saw pics of a couple that cosplayed tron outfits. They were welcomed and were even posted on the Disney blog! So from what has been established is that no Disney owned char can be cosplayed unless ur a little kid but there is some confusion to what other costumes u can cosplay. Some have gotten away while others haven't been so lucky.

Can u cosplay anime char on a normal day that isn't too casual but not to extravagent

Were they in the actual park? They probably got permission beforehand, or were friends of castmembers if they did. Otherwise, i can't imagine how they got away with it. (I've had an annual pass since i was in 4th grade, so i go there A LOT).

Into the actual park, best not to chance any sort of costume. A wig and a cosplay that can pass as normal clothing is fine. But if its anything that looks like a COSTUME, you probably won't get away with it.

But like i said, depends on who catches you.

Tigress
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
A lady in a wedding dress was asked to take the dress off, since it could have been mistaken for a princess dress.

You are allowed to wear a wedding dress in the park, since Disney offers wedding packages. When the hubby and I went for our honeymoon, there was a wedding in the Epcot park.

If you want to wear a costume in the park, always call ahead to make sure the staff won't have a problem with it.

Axelai
01-02-2011, 01:45 PM
You are allowed to wear a wedding dress in the park, since Disney offers wedding packages. When the hubby and I went for our honeymoon, there was a wedding in the Epcot park.

This was at Disneyland Paris, so they may have different rules. Regardless, this girl wasn't getting married. She just wanted to wear a big white dress. Probably different circumstances. Google it.

If you want to wear a costume in the park, always call ahead to make sure the staff won't have a problem with it.

Though this won't always work. I heard of someone (i think earlier in this thread even) who called ahead of time and they okay'd his Kingdom Hearts costume, but then he got sent home anyway. Just because you call ahead and verify doesn't mean the same staff member will be there to back you up.

EyesInfinity
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm someone who cosplayed as sailor saturn to disneyland in the summer of 2010, who DID NOT call the park ahead of time, and did not get kicked out. Here's my proof:

http://eyesinfinity.deviantart.com/gallery/11432163?offset=24#/d27jl5m

The rumor that you cannot cosplay at Disneyland in Anaheim, California is partially true and partially false.

I went to Disneyland last year during the summer with three of my friends. We went into the park in the morning in normal clothes and then changed into our sailor scout costumes in the bathrooms.

IT ROCKED. The entire park staff were really good sports about it. Many of them were our generation and loved the fact we came in costume. We were able to stay the entire day inside the park, and no one kicked us out. We were even able to use our park hopper tickets to move in between parks too, and when we did, the security at the entrance had absolutely no problem with it. There were a lot of other guests at the park who asked for our pictures, and I actually made a few friends this way.

Based on my own experience, I think the park staff only has a problem with kingdom hearts type, fairytale/princess/aristocrat type, or military/gangster type cosplayers. I'm planning another trip sometime soon with a Pokemon group, and I don't expect any problems with staff.

EyesInfinity
01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
EDIT: sorry, i realize i double posted :/

Liiansa
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Don't know what the rules actually are but I've worn my Tron sort-of-costume to Disneyland and California Adventure. Been mistaken for a cast member, just cause I went to Electronica and it's obviously a Tron-themed shirt... but never been kicked out. I know the cast members wear reflective tape costumes, while mine is el wire (which actually lights up). So rules may be bend-able. I'll take a picture in the park if I do it again.

ScarletNvrland
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I spoke to my friend who is a cast member at the Disneyland Resort. This is what I was told lol:

Children 9 and under are able to wear Disney costumes inside the park. The only time people ages 10+ are allowed to dress as a Disney character is at Mickey's Halloween Party, which is a separate admission event.

You may wear any other cosplay as long as it does not distract from the "show" that is Disneyland. Sailor Moon cosplays may have been okay because they could be seen as school uniforms, etc.

Although security is tight at Disneyland, sometimes cosplayers go under the radar or (depending on your behavior/how convincing the costume is/etc) sometimes guests will be asked to change or leave the park.

nessabutterfly
01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
I have been in Magic Kingdom in half of my Ariel costume. Top, corset, and big blue hair bow. I wasn't wearing the wig or the skirt though. It's pretty hard to mistake a girl in jeans for a face character. I had no problems, and most of the staff wondered why I was only wearing part of the costume. Apparently security are the only ones who even know about the rules. I would assume that I would have had some issues if I had worn the wig though.

I have also started making princess hoodies. I wore my Snow White one twice with no problems at all-- it got a lot of positive attention actually. And I made a Rapunzel one for a friend in California. She wore it with her wig and had no issues.

ScarletNvrland
01-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I have been in Magic Kingdom in half of my Ariel costume. Top, corset, and big blue hair bow. I wasn't wearing the wig or the skirt though. It's pretty hard to mistake a girl in jeans for a face character. I had no problems, and most of the staff wondered why I was only wearing part of the costume. Apparently security are the only ones who even know about the rules. I would assume that I would have had some issues if I had worn the wig though.

I have also started making princess hoodies. I wore my Snow White one twice with no problems at all-- it got a lot of positive attention actually. And I made a Rapunzel one for a friend in California. She wore it with her wig and had no issues.

Those sound awesome! Do you have any pictures of them?

nessabutterfly
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
yup!

Razunzel hoodie: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=189295024429203&id=100000958314483&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/photo.php?fbid=176280562407291&set=a.146015332100481.15889.138363899532291

Snow White hoodie (didn't wear the skirt and had a different headband on in the park): http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=189295024429203&id=100000958314483&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/photo.php?fbid=139814026076443&set=a.136799053044607.22307.100001435398279

I have pics of my Ariel, but not in a public album. It's the same top, corset and bow as my Ariel costume http://www.cosplay.com/costume/311431/ and I even styled my hair the same, but it's long and brown, rather than red.

Axelai
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I spoke to my friend who is a cast member at the Disneyland Resort. This is what I was told lol:

Children 9 and under are able to wear Disney costumes inside the park. The only time people ages 10+ are allowed to dress as a Disney character is at Mickey's Halloween Party, which is a separate admission event.

You may wear any other cosplay as long as it does not distract from the "show" that is Disneyland. Sailor Moon cosplays may have been okay because they could be seen as school uniforms, etc.

Although security is tight at Disneyland, sometimes cosplayers go under the radar or (depending on your behavior/how convincing the costume is/etc) sometimes guests will be asked to change or leave the park.

QFT here. I pretty much said the exact same thing the past several pages XD

You're not SUPPOSED to wear costumes, but it depends on how you act, and the cast members that day, for if you'll get to keep wearing it or not. I've seen Kingdom Hearts cosplayers inside the park, but if the costumes are too good/bad/noticeably costumes, they usually only last an hour or two in costume.

I think its a good rule of thumb to just not cosplay at Disneyland. Theres plenty of other places to cosplay.

~Shana~
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm wondering this Friday I'm going to Disneyland with my friends in a "Matryoshka" cosplay (it's from a vocaloid PV) Here is an example-

http://www.scenicreflections.com/ithumbs/Gumi_&_Miku_-_Matryoshka_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

I was wondering if me and my friends could stay in Disneyland even though we would have strange patterns of makeup on our faces~

Ashurachan
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Disneyland Paris = no costumes unless it's Halloween.
French cosplayers being French, they don't abide by the rules if they can get away with it, so I've heard about a few sneaking costumes in, changing in public restrooms, quickly taking a few pics here and there, and manage to avoid security entirely.

stitchez
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Casual cosplay is usually the best best unless the costume isn't too "costume"like. Just like almost everyone else is saying.

My friend wore her red contacts and white wig for Prussia and it was no problem, but again, it was casual. Well since she was being Prussia, it was more of a grunge rocker look with accessories stolen from my closet XD. I got a few weird looks for my bright blue pants and the pipecleaner clipped and twisted to look like a curl but other than that we were golden.

I've also gone in steampunk (top hat and all~) and gothic lolita and just plain goth and no one said anything, besides the occasional compliment on a piece of my outfit.

All of that might have been because my mom works there and signed us in, but even when we switched parks everything was fine :>

Sorahana
03-03-2011, 08:43 AM
You're not SUPPOSED to wear costumes, but it depends on how you act, and the cast members that day, for if you'll get to keep wearing it or not. I've seen Kingdom Hearts cosplayers inside the park, but if the costumes are too good/bad/noticeably costumes, they usually only last an hour or two in costume.

I think its a good rule of thumb to just not cosplay at Disneyland. Theres plenty of other places to cosplay.

I completely agree, same goes with DisneyWorld.

When I was working at EPCOT I saw some Hetalia cosplayers come and take photos outside of the ride I was at. I could see EPCOT being cosplayer heaven for Hetalia photos (as half the park is World Showcase), but I would leave the cosplays at home.

BizarreSerenity
03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I have cosplayed Kingdom Hearts at Disneyland in California before, but once i was stopped at the gate. They let me in about ten minutes later, and i was Xion with the hooded coat and all. I met a Roxas inside later, and i saw some Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, and Bleach characters hanging around Downtown disney. I used to cosplay at Disney all the time before my pass ran out, and as long as you arent dressed up as a disney character, and the costume is not revealing or huge, you can get in.

seahasha_kitty
03-31-2011, 01:27 PM
When I was little I was chased my minnie because I had minnie ears on my head. Anyways if you cosplay as just an anime character, like a minor outfit nothing huge, Then most of the workers won't notice you. Also jothics and such are not allowed in because they are worried about their image, Disney not the gothic people. So if you are smart about it then see you can get in. I wear my Temari outfit to Disney land 2 years ago. I had no problem getting in. But I didn't bring my fan D:
Other then that you can cosplay if you are smart and don't dress like a Disney character. Also don't do something huge and no face paint. Try to have outfits that are ride able.

AnimeGamer
03-31-2011, 11:03 PM
It would be neat, if for one day, even if that happened to be during the Halloween thing - that the Disney staff would get their cast members to dress up in the KH-style costumes for one day.

Taking photos with a professional-style King Mickey with his keyblade would probably be insanely fun.

DavinDaLilAzn
03-31-2011, 11:44 PM
It would be neat, if for one day, even if that happened to be during the Halloween thing - that the Disney staff would get their cast members to dress up in the KH-style costumes for one day.

Taking photos with a professional-style King Mickey with his keyblade would probably be insanely fun.

Kingdom Hearts characters/overlays do exist, but they're used in Japan mainly. I think it was 2004 or 2005 that Sora and Goofy & Donald in their KH outfits were out at Magic Kingdom (Disney World) during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

But back on subject, kids are fine being in costumes and dressed as princesses/fairies/other characters because those outfits are sold in the park (and they're kids, easy to tell apart from the real characters).
With adults, the only time they're allowed to be in costumes is usually for the Halloween Parties. They do have the right to turn you away from the park if you're dressed too close resembling any Disney Character.
Lolita styles are borderline since it's techincally a "lifestyle" and not cosplaying (especially since Disney World has a high amount of Japanese tourists who make lolita popular).

Exagie
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Hmm, I have a question. I'm planning on going to WDW later this year, but I was hoping to cosplay either Echo of Pandora Hearts or Alois Trancy of Kuroshitsuji II there. Do you think they'd let either of them in? If I have to I might go with Alois's OVA outfit, but it'd be nice to have some photos of him in his regular outfit in EPCOT x'DDD

~Exagie

Axelai
04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Hmm, I have a question. I'm planning on going to WDW later this year, but I was hoping to cosplay either Echo of Pandora Hearts or Alois Trancy of Kuroshitsuji II there. Do you think they'd let either of them in? If I have to I might go with Alois's OVA outfit, but it'd be nice to have some photos of him in his regular outfit in EPCOT x'DDD

~Exagie

Well, you're not ALLOWED to wear that stuff in... but if it looks not costumey enough, you should be fine. Looking at Echo's default outfit... you might not be able to get in with that. And Alois's clothing looks a bit like the Haunted Mansion uniform (at DL at least) so that's a definite no for here.

I'd highly suggest casual cosplay or closet cosplay if you do go, as it'd suck to pay for a ticket and then get kicked out. Especially with costumes like that.

kiratsukai
04-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Kingdom Hearts characters/overlays do exist, but they're used in Japan mainly. I think it was 2004 or 2005 that Sora and Goofy & Donald in their KH outfits were out at Magic Kingdom (Disney World) during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Given the timing and that I've never seen any media about Kingdom Hearts characters being employed at or utilized in the Disney parks outside of the original game promo push and scarySora (http://www.distantcreations.com/blog/2009/01/15/thursday-theme-park-rare-disney-park-characters/), I'm guessing that those might have been guests. Tokyo Disney encourages guests to cosplay during the Halloween season and there are special dates set aside to do so. It's gotten ridiculously popular with folks over the years and a good chunk of the cosplay community participates. The only rules: you must go as a Disney character and it must be a version of a costume that is NOT worn by park crew. ie. you can't wear any of the princesses' default dresses, Alice's dress, a mascot costume, etc. You can wear gijinka of the mascots, Disney characters, and alternate costumes or sattelite Disney characters. Kingdom Hearts might have been included in the mix and a lot of photos of more dramatically costumed or adorable regular guests get mixed in with the promo material every Halloween.

I'm pretty sure there are no Kingdom Hearts characters included in the regular cast at Tokyo Disney though. Ocaisionally, brief glimpses of KH pop up around the park in the form of statues, posters, etc... usually to promote an upcoming game, but there are no permanant features or attractions... As far as I know, Squeenix owns the sole marketting rights to the franchise and Disney has granted them liscence to do so. This is also probably why you can find K.H. goods at the Square Enix showroom but not at the Disney Store.

VampireKitten
04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
When I was little I was chased my minnie because I had minnie ears on my head. Anyways if you cosplay as just an anime character, like a minor outfit nothing huge, Then most of the workers won't notice you. Also jothics and such are not allowed in because they are worried about their image, Disney not the gothic people. So if you are smart about it then see you can get in. I wear my Temari outfit to Disney land 2 years ago. I had no problem getting in. But I didn't bring my fan D:
Other then that you can cosplay if you are smart and don't dress like a Disney character. Also don't do something huge and no face paint. Try to have outfits that are ride able.

This is simply not true... I go to Batsday (Goth day) every year. Disney welcomes them just like everyone else. Just an FYI.

... and cosplaying at the park just seems like a stupid idea to me... there are better places for photos. Photoshoots at the park are obnoxious.

Convulsive
05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
from what I know, full-out cosplays get asked to change. But your allowed to do Casual cosplays, (basically keep on your wig.) which I really wanna do some time o.o

Think about a bunch of characters from a show just having a nice, casual, fun day in Disney! That would make a good video.

Exagie
05-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, you're not ALLOWED to wear that stuff in... but if it looks not costumey enough, you should be fine. Looking at Echo's default outfit... you might not be able to get in with that. And Alois's clothing looks a bit like the Haunted Mansion uniform (at DL at least) so that's a definite no for here.

I'd highly suggest casual cosplay or closet cosplay if you do go, as it'd suck to pay for a ticket and then get kicked out. Especially with costumes like that.

Actually, that's why I chose his OVA outfit. x'DD It's pretty casual, so I figured I'd give it a try. x'DD If worst comes to worst I'll just wear a cosplay on the night I go to the Halloween party. ^^

Thanks for the info. :D

~Exagie

LKD
05-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I wore Ciel's black lily outfit for Bat's Day this year. But I wore it mostly cause it fit the theme, I went wigless and contactless so technically I wasn't really cosplaying as him. I wouldn't try it any other time though. They let so much through for Bat's Day. Someone got away with being the tight rope lady from the haunted mansion :/ and the Queen of Hearts

Exagie
08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I wore Ciel's black lily outfit for Bat's Day this year. But I wore it mostly cause it fit the theme, I went wigless and contactless so technically I wasn't really cosplaying as him. I wouldn't try it any other time though. They let so much through for Bat's Day. Someone got away with being the tight rope lady from the haunted mansion :/ and the Queen of Hearts

That's fun! ^^ I was thinking of being a Haunted Mansion maid (For the Halloween Party), but I don't know if they'd let me in if the costume is too accurate.

~Exagie

SynHavok
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I've never heard anything about that! That's a really good thing to know.

Angel Miki
09-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I've seen videos on YT of KH cosplayers cosplaying CASUALLY to Disney. If I ever cosplay to a park, instead of Downtown Disney, I'd go casually just to avoid random people wanting a picture of me even more. I only like random strangers photographing me at cons, not anywhere else. Creeper much? Lol

teh chiriness
10-22-2011, 01:35 AM
I worked at Disney for 5 years and I never saw anyone do a full on cosplay other than during Mickey's Halloween Treat. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing people come in doing cosplay because it would definitely have made my days more interesting and fun lol! XD However, it is risky to cosplay at Disney in the first place since food is everywhere and gum and... augh... I wouldn't want to risk my costume getting all dirty there. That's just me though. ^^;

On occasion however, I would see some girls decked in lolita (both American and Japanese) during normal seasons at the park.

If anything though, cosplay is probably more allowed outside of the parks than inside like if you were to just be hanging around DTD. The screener cast members (under the green tents) can be strict sometimes depending on who you get. My step dad still works as a screener so he tells me the stories lol. XD

Also, I guess if you manage to get past the screeners and into the park, you might get that one grumpy cast member who sees you and thinks that cosplaying in the park is wrong and they'll call security on you. I swear those are the cast members who have been working there waaaay to long and have nothing better do to. DX With all that said, I would probably just cosplay during the 'Treat' days. It's really fun! =)

Moscow121
12-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Would it be okay to dress Christmas-y for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party since it's a Special Event? o: I would love to get some pictures there with the snow on Main Street and the lit-up Cinderella's Castle.

Cynthia
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
As a twice over former Cast Member at both Land and World, the policy was:

1) Kids can dress up, but Adults can't. (So for those of you talking about kids being in costume this is why.)

2) They don't allow this for the reasons other have stated. If someone is mistaken for possibly being a cast member or face character at a park, and they're not, then it ruins "the experience."

3) Gate Operations will turn away anyone who comes up in what THEY perceive as a costume. This is why if you're in something that can be construed as casual fashion, you can get in--same thing for those in Lolita attire. (They will also turn you away if you're wearing gang colors.)

4) Exceptions to this rule are specifically concerning Halloween and the Halloween Parties they hold. (As holidays are an exception for most people.) For Disneyland, Bat's Day (the annual goth invasion of the park) would be another exception. DisneyWorld used to have "Gay Days" (sanctioned LGBT convention/event at Disney), but I don't know if that's still going on. Guys dressed pretty flamboyant and crazy for that as well.

BlondieSundae
01-02-2012, 03:51 PM
As a twice over former Cast Member at both Land and World, the policy was:

1) Kids can dress up, but Adults can't. (So for those of you talking about kids being in costume this is why.)

2) They don't allow this for the reasons other have stated. If someone is mistaken for possibly being a cast member or face character at a park, and they're not, then it ruins "the experience."

3) Gate Operations will turn away anyone who comes up in what THEY perceive as a costume. This is why if you're in something that can be construed as casual fashion, you can get in--same thing for those in Lolita attire. (They will also turn you away if you're wearing gang colors.)

4) Exceptions to this rule are specifically concerning Halloween and the Halloween Parties they hold. (As holidays are an exception for most people.) For Disneyland, Bat's Day (the annual goth invasion of the park) would be another exception. DisneyWorld used to have "Gay Days" (sanctioned LGBT convention/event at Disney), but I don't know if that's still going on. Guys dressed pretty flamboyant and crazy for that as well.

I thought "gay days" were run by outside sources. There was a huge thing with the republican party, and Disney and how "Disney is a neutral party" I assumed the Bat days are similar...

Demon Doll
02-12-2012, 02:56 AM
I walk into ElecTRONica just fine with my tron suit lit up. I even park hopped with it lit up.

They will make you leave if the following happens: If a line appears of people wanting a picture with you. If you dress like the cast members. If they notice a lot of people talking about you as if you are a cast member. If your face is covered or hidden in anyway.

On Halloween they are more relaxed about it. If you want to be a Disney character for Halloween, it has to be a Disney licensed product. Which they made differently from the character cast members that work at the park.

Only reason I haven't been kicked out is everything I typed out above. The cast members at ElecTRONica only wear reflective tape while I wear EL wire.
I wore my Tron suit 3 times to the park.
Only got a warning once because my friends were loud, and just being wwwaayyy to drunk. But nothing about my outfit.

I was informed that they done away with bats day..??? Not sure if it's true. Sad if it is!

SweeneyTodd
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
So if I dressed as Sweeney (without the razors), they would let me in the park right? Since I'm basically wearing really normal clothing.. Just a random question. xD Sorry to derail the thread a bit

pc_alchemist
03-24-2012, 06:39 PM
From what I've read it just seems like too much of a risk to do a big name park like Disney or Universal. I wonder if Six Flags, Kings Dominion, or Busch Gardens would be just as ify. But I think if you are going to cosplay at a park, go somewhere small like Putt-Putt, Adventure Landing, and other mini golf kids parks. Its probably safer.

Lotte000
03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Not to continue beating a dead horse or anything, but I just wanted to clarify some things-

If you have questions about costuming policies, check the Disney website. They have all the info you need.

That being said, if you REALLY need to wear a costume into the park, be smart about it. Don't go too crazy because chances are, you won't be allowed into the park.

WIGS- They can't tell you to take a wig off. A LOT of people wear wigs for reasons other than costuming. But again, use COMMON SENSE. Don't go in with a bright, costumey wig because they might just tell you to go home.

AND GOTHS. Goth isn't a costume. They will not turn away someone who's goth, tattooed or pierced. I am all of the above, and I go to Disneyland at least once a week. THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU TO GO HOME. The ONLY reason they MIGHT turn a goth away is if you're wearing something that could be confused with the Maids\Butlers from Haunted Mansion, OR you're wearing something vulgar or shows too much sking [excessive cleavage, too short clothes etc]. All of those rules go for EVERYONE, NOT just goths.

In closing, I leave you with two words- BE SMART. And don't get your feelings hurt or get angry or upset if they tell you to change or take certain items of clothing off. It is in the rules that NO costumes are allowed, and we deliberately want to brake them for photo-ops of just plain fun. It's in their right to tell you to go home or change.

[\rant]

Neelh
04-11-2012, 02:34 AM
I don't know if this has already been asked, but...

What about Legoland?