PDA

View Full Version : Mars

Ina
04-06-2003, 06:26 PM
are there any other fans besides me? i just read vol.5 today, the ONLY volume of MARS that i've read so far and i'm in love with it already ^_^ i'm usually not into shoujo types of mangas, but this caught my eye, besides, rei is a major bishie XD

what do you think of this manga?!

Lyn
04-06-2003, 06:54 PM
I only got to read a little bit of Mars from when it used to be in the Smile magazine (before the magazine discontinued) so I think thats like volume 1 and maybe part of volume 2 or maybe even up to 3? No clue. ^^; But regardless I really liked it and wish I could read more of it some day but I have like too much manga taking up space in my room as it is, lol. The storyline is really sweet and I think Kira is an awesome main character because I can relate to her, well except for the whole fact that she's really good at art and I can't draw at all, but I mean in like the way that she's all really shy and rather alone at the begining and Rei gradually gets her to be more outgoing and such. Kinda what happened to me with some of my friends though I'm still really on the shy side. ^^;

My friend Sio loves the manga to death along with Paradise Kiss. Both titles I orginally told her about but I haven't gotten to read any of either in such a long time. x_x;

Ina
04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
the storyline gets much better lyn!!! i won't spoil some major events which were sooo sad ;_;

oOOo.. paradise kiss is rather good too, i love the art and clothings! ^_^

Minako Kou
04-06-2003, 07:30 PM
I LOVE MARS! MARS, is my favorite manga along with Peach Girl and Chobits. I didn't like Paradise Kiss all too much. But, I've read the MARS volumes 1-9 (which is all the ones we have so far) I can't wait until May to get volume 10. Hehe. It almost made me cry.

The only THING that DID make me cry a lot was 'Peach Girl' so I recommend that manga to a lot of people.

*glomps Toji, Kiley, and Rei* WAHHA I own them *takes her bishies with her*

Ina
04-06-2003, 07:36 PM
what?! i own REI!!! lol

i know!!! MARS almost made me cry too, i only had teary eyes ^^

Ymecy
04-06-2003, 07:52 PM
I love Mars too!!!!! hehe I first read it at Barnes & Noble.
I want it sooooo much ^_^

hehe i love Peach Girl too i have vol. 1-8

Minako Kou
04-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Nice to know some more fans. ^_^

I have Peach Girl 1-10...or technically 1-9 and 1 of the "change of heart" they should have just kept' it 'Peach Girl' like the original not "Peach Girl: Change of Heart" bleeeh arcs are evil.

Ukayoru no Chou
04-06-2003, 08:42 PM
If I wasn't lazy this : I LOOOOVE MARS : would be bold as well.

Anyways, MARS rocks beyond anything, and for me, even tho I haven't read much peach girl, I think I like it more than Peach Girl, even tho I like that as well o_o!
So yes, I am a fan, a big fan, and I want to drag them all and put them in my bishie drawer ^-^; but shhhh

aimee
04-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Mars is like just about my favorite comic I've _EVER_ read. I like it THAT MUCH.

every issue makes me cry. it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a comic this much.

jen_kat
04-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Mars sits as one of my absolute favorites of all my manga. I've collected all 15 volumes of it in Japanese plus the side story, Horse with No Name. It's the best. It's very deep, and it really makes you think.

Though the translations by TokyoPop are good, they don't do the Japanese version justice. Some of the meanings are lost...

Velvy
04-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Didn't like it, it's too...drama-filled, but I guess they need that to keep the "cliff hangers" rolling.

baku_neko
04-07-2003, 10:14 AM
I read MARS!! It's great! I'm almost done with 5, and I gonna buy 6 this week. At first I thought it was a little soap-opera like, but the storyline does pick up and it's gets much better! I highly recomend this manga!!!

Lyn
04-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Ina
the storyline gets much better lyn!!! i won't spoil some major events which were sooo sad ;_;

oOOo.. paradise kiss is rather good too, i love the art and clothings! ^_^

Aw! Now I want to read more of Mars! But I have no idea when I'll get the chance. ^^; There's so much manga I want to read now. x_x

I love Paradise Kiss for all of its originality. Its just so different from any manga I've read before.

Something Lulu
04-08-2003, 02:07 AM
There is a lot of drama in Mars, but the characters are so complex and deep that they carry the story along well - drama and all. Mars and Peach Girl both make me teary-eyed, and Paradise Kiss just cracks me up. I've got 1-9 of Mars, same for PG, and I'm upset that I'll have to wait for ParaKiss 5 to come out in Japan before I can even think about having it here. >_< I'd have to say that PG and ParaKiss are tied for favorite because they include humor and a gorgeous, original style of artwork. Mars is a great story, but it's really sad, and I usually like humor to go alongside drama. The artwork is pretty, but somewhat simplistic when compared to the other two. I think it complements the story, though.

Unfortunately I've forbidden myself from buying any more manga until after ABoston. I usually try to order new volumes for myself as soon as they come into the B&N warehouse.

aimee
04-08-2003, 10:43 AM
maaan, I want that side story!!

Ina
04-10-2003, 07:16 PM
> If I wasn't lazy this : I LOOOOVE MARS : would be bold as well.

lol... ok i'll do it for ya! I LOOOOVE MARS

....O_O theres a side story!!! i waannnt that *.*

Chiri
04-12-2003, 03:22 PM
My friend and I _love_ MARS...@__@ It's so good..nobody would really expect much from just the cover...<is hooked>

-chiri

mochan42
04-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I loooooove mars!! I have up to 10, I think....or was it 9? Anyway, as much as they've translacted, why the heck are they taking so long in bringing it out? >_< That bothers me, they leave us with a cliff hanger then cut us off for 2 months! It is kind of drama filled, but with most anime/manga, sometimes that's what keeps the fans wanting more and more and more! Mars has got to be my second or third favorite manga.

AngelSamui
04-17-2003, 08:50 PM
I simply adore MARS! I didn't think I'd get sucked in like I have. My friend Asako saw me reading it last year when she was a Japanese exchange student here and she was like "it's so good!! I have the whole series at home." When my friend Casey visited her the MARS books were lined up on her desk. ^_^

(Paradise Kiss rocks my socks too. Heh.)

mochan42
04-17-2003, 10:11 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Paradise Kiss, still haven't gotten to read it yet. ^^ You know, I thought Mars looked really weird at first and then I read the back of it and got really hooked. It's rare that that kind of series can hook me so easily. It's strange. o_o

GirlnamedLime
04-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Hey INA!! MARS rocks as usual, and so does Peach Girl, gotta love Kiley, he's a babe.

Angelwing
04-21-2003, 07:18 PM
I love Mars! Its currently my fav. manga. I've read up to the 7th volume, but thats all my friend has. I guess its back to free manga reading at Waldenbooks. ^_^

Ina
04-21-2003, 07:55 PM
lol! i do some free manga read in Barnes and Noble *is broke*

gah, i wanna know what's gonna happen afer vol.9, grrrr, their just leaving us hanging T_T

jen_kat
04-21-2003, 10:00 PM
:D :D :D
Vol. 10 is the BEST!!! But I won't say why... ^_~

::sigh:: I just read it over and over...

KulaDiamond
04-28-2003, 12:04 AM
Wowies...I read up to 9. MARS is actually pretty good. A friend got me hooked sinced she's bought them like mad crazy.

nekochan
04-28-2003, 02:18 AM
LOL i'm SO SORRY... didn't know this thread was here -is blind!- ~_~ but yes! can someone tell me the basic plot of the story? i don't know anything about it!

KulaDiamond
04-28-2003, 08:19 AM
About a girl who can draw pretty well and keeps to herself hooking up with a cool guy who rides a bike. i'd say more but i'd somehow spoil something in the process....

Naru
04-28-2003, 11:19 AM
I want to say I like it too! It is very cool.... Can't wait for No. 10!

mochan42
04-28-2003, 02:05 PM
There's only 15 books and they're taking so long with releasing it. >_< Just like with Kodocha, there's only ten and they're taking foreeeeeeeever.

evaneko
04-28-2003, 04:01 PM
-_- i actually tend to agree with velvy. it was ok but sooo.... like i have read the same thing a thousand time- good girl with deep dark past falls for the bad boy. im not saying it was bad- just that i had high hopes and it kinda paled in comparison to other much more original- in terms of art and story- recently translated shoujo mangas...

Ina
04-28-2003, 05:37 PM
i agree, it is a bit unoriginal, but still! the storyline is still good IMO ^_^ i dunno, i just like it ^^;

Ashika
05-04-2003, 01:33 AM
I love MARS, I have the first nine books! It's a great manga, and you gotta love Rei and Kira. :D

ChibiRinoa
05-04-2003, 07:55 AM
i love mars, it has sooooo much drama in it! its unlike soooo many other manga series

Vinya
05-04-2003, 09:36 AM
When was this thread strarted? I can't believe I haven't posted in it yet!

*scribbles a sign that says:

I LOVE MARS

and waves it around*

The plotline is so sugary, it reminds me of Passions, except that a) it's much better b) it's manga and c) it has bishies! Woo! XD

No, really, I like the story, and the artwork is adorable! I want more! ^_^

Neko_Kaolla
08-17-2003, 12:23 PM
I have read the first four and love them!

mochan42
08-17-2003, 01:04 PM
There's only 2 left!! weeeee!! ^______^

baku_neko
08-17-2003, 01:35 PM
I know, it's almost over. Kinda makes me sad.... T_T

Does anyone know if this author has anymore works? I'd love see what else she's written!

mochan42
08-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Yes makes me sad too. *sniff* I'm really curious as to how she's going to end it, cause she keeps bringing up unknown facts! Which is great, but I'm just so curious. ^^;

Mars was the first manga I had seen with Fuyumi as the artist, I really haven't heard of her for anything else. Try searching on the web.

Usagi Mylene
08-18-2003, 02:14 PM
I just got number 13 and it keeps getting better and better. And Rei..... *Swoon*

I can't wait for the last two. I want to know what happens.

Peach Girl is another good one. I really like that one too. I want to cosplay Momo soon. It's a excuse to get a tan. ^.^

vyrax778
08-18-2003, 05:55 PM
the waiting is killing me I want the next volume!!!

Mars is really good. I want to cosplay Rei some day when I get thin enough hopefully for AX2k4.

MoiMoiJai
08-20-2003, 05:04 PM
woo! Big fan of mars XD I hate 6&7 so I didn't even bother to buy them, though HE comes back in the end and stuff... but I love Fuyumi's work! OMG XD I have her website if anyone's interested! http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kotama/index2.html

and I've been buying her new series Eternal Sabath! Can't say much about that as it's pretty new the 3rd one just hit shelves in Japan.

Ellone
08-21-2003, 11:37 PM
OH MY GOD I LOVES MARS!!! It was the first manga i ever read and it is so sweet and emotional!!! (highly highly higly recommend MARS to anyone who loves your not so typical romance )mmmm....Rei....^^
I have read 1-13 so far and i heard a rumor that 14 has snuck out on the shelves somewhere even though it's way before its tokyopop release date, I am really hopin' (doubt it though). anyway if anyone will be attending animeFEST this year i'll be cosplaying as Kira because i thought it needed to be done (i haven't seen many MARS cosplayers out there) hopefully i can convince my boyfriend to go as Rei because he loves MARS alot too and he's tall and has long blond hair....but i don't know...maybe ^__^

Sutefeni
08-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Mars is SUUCH a good manga!! I didn't see myself reading shoujo stuff but yah! I've only read 4 volumes and I want more!
Parakiss is good too...me like mucho...*sighs* George...*swoons*

Ellone
08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Oh yes and thank you so much for the link to her site....::steals her kitty: ><

Sutefeni
08-22-2003, 10:21 AM
BTW, Ellone, That'd be pretty sweet if you went through with the cosplay idea...Kawaii-desu!! >.<

Goddess Zara
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
weee, mars thread! ^__^ i've only read volumes 1-3, but i really like it. ^__^ rei actually reminds me of my ex-boyfriend - i lent it to him to see if he agreed, and now he's totally addicted to it. XD

and oh! speaking of mars cosplay - i saw a girl cosplaying as kira at AX 03, and she had the mars painting and all. i saw the painting first, and my reaction: "omg, where did you get that? wait... did you make it? WAIT! are you cosplaying kira?!" ^^() heh, a little slow on the uptake there...

Ellone
08-25-2003, 07:58 PM
AnimeFEST is this weekend so i'll make sure to take lots and lots of pictures ^__^(I can't wait!)

RedPikachu
08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
yeah i like this manga. i give it a thumbs up ^_^

baku_neko
09-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Muwhahaha!!! I got vol 14! I got vol 14! I got vol 14! Hehe...I thought I'd just taunt you all before I go off and read it. ^_^

Woah! Only one more to go after this one. Then it's over... -_-

mochan42
09-06-2003, 11:25 PM
>O How did you get the 14th volume so early?!?!?!? Not fair! Not fair! >_<

baku_neko
09-06-2003, 11:48 PM
I was wandering around Borders cause they were having that student sale where everthing was 20% off so I was looking for some good books to pick up, and low and behold, there it was. Mars 14. I was like HELL YES! ^_^ So naturally, I bought it.

Ellone
09-07-2003, 01:55 AM
yay. i also got it too. i actually bought it a week ago at waldenbooks ^_^ NEED 15 NOW!!!!

khiro
09-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Muwahahahaha! I have volume 15...In chinese >.< I couldn't wait for it so I just bought it in Chinese...and I have a good idea of the ending so I just need to fill the gap...

Sweet~Pea
09-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Mars rocks... that's all I need to say lol
-Christa

Carmila
09-17-2003, 09:31 AM
I am hopelessly addicted to Mars. This is a genere of manga I so don't get into, but DAMN! this one is great!

Ah, I was a bit late and got 13 and 14 back to back. I agree, I want 15 now!

Though I have a japanese friend who has the whole series and she keep teasing me telling me that she can sent the whole series to me, but I refused! I will wait! *fights temptation*

Susumari
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
I had only read the first one. I wanted to get into Mars but then Fake lurled me in, so right now i'm in my shonen ai faze. lol.

Karasu
09-22-2003, 11:41 PM
I've only read the first two, but I would like to read the rest. I really, really like Rei's character. He's had a hard time from what I've read. ;_; *pats Rei on the back*

dijik0nyo
09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
stumbled into this manga a while ago ... just got vol 14 @ a con ~ i am sad vol 15 will be the end ... this has been a great manga! (hard to type more about it without giving out spoilers) ><;

Trinity
09-23-2003, 09:43 PM
;-; I just got my hands on Parakiss, which I'm already addicted to, and then I'm going to get started on Mars. It looks so cute!

baku_neko
11-05-2003, 10:59 AM
MARS 15! MARS 15! MARS 15!

I got it! I got it! Yay! ^_^

Has anyone else gotten yet? It's really good. And later in June, they will release 'Gaiden A Horse With No Name', which is a bonus volume according to TP. I guess it's an epilouge of sorts.

Susumari
11-05-2003, 02:13 PM
there's 15 mars mangas. i didn't know that

jen_kat
11-05-2003, 02:27 PM
MARS 15! MARS 15! MARS 15!

I got it! I got it! Yay! ^_^

Has anyone else gotten yet? It's really good. And later in June, they will release 'Gaiden A Horse With No Name', which is a bonus volume according to TP. I guess it's an epilouge of sorts.
Actually, "A Horse with No Name" is not an epilogue. It's more like a side story, or a "before" story. It's about Rei and Tatsuya when they first meet. It doesn't fill the whole book, so there are also other short stories in there.

baku_neko
11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
What? At the end of the book it says "Rei and Kira's adeventures continue in this bonus volume..."

So there's no follow up on the Rei//Kira story arc?

jen_kat
11-06-2003, 12:38 AM
What? At the end of the book it says "Rei and Kira's adeventures continue in this bonus volume..."

So there's no follow up on the Rei//Kira story arc?

Well, I have it, in Japanese, and it isn't. I pretty sure it isn't. When I go home this weekend, I'll go and check it again.

But consider how they act towards each other in the side story, it's definitely sometime before the beginning of the actual Mars story.

Ellone
11-06-2003, 11:56 AM
YAY I GOT MARS 15 TOO!!!!! i'm so sad though because IT'S OVER!!!!::sniff:: oh well, at least it puts an end to the year of hell were i had to wait sometimes up to 2 months for the next volume of MARS to come out. I'm happy that they will be releasing the Gaiden though.

About the Gaiden (or the MARS short story included in the book), it is sort of a prequel that's about Tatsuya and Rei's friendship. It does have Kira in it too but i think her appearance is brief and its when kira and Rei first met. Here is a the address to a nice MARS site i found. It's in Italian but it has a gallery that has quite a few of the Gaiden manga scans (you can sort of figure out the story just by looking at the scans ^.^)

Here's the site's address. I hope this helps ^_^

http://www.shoujo-manga.net/mars/gallery.htm

Kaze
11-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Ah I LOVE MARS! But I'm only on book like..8 or 9 or so...cuz of work...bleh! But I read part of 10 and...whoo thats one heated little book.

Mars is freakin awsome though!

Karasu
11-09-2003, 10:48 PM
'Gaiden A Horse With No Name', which is a bonus volume according to TP.

0.o??? I am much confused. Must go to TP website. I haven't found the 15th volume yet. ;_; *sadness*

Jolly
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
i <3 mars with everything i gots.
the art is beautiful, the drama oh so addicting and the love story oh so wonderful!! tear!
i only have the last volume to go! i sat in borders and power read 12-14, but did not have time for the last.
excited to read it!!

Chiri
11-22-2003, 11:00 AM
MARS is very in-depth and I absolutely LOVE it ^____^

That's all I gotta say 'bout that :D

Ellone
01-10-2004, 02:00 AM
I know that no one has visited this thread for awhile but i just wanted to say that i finally posted a picture of my Kira costume in my gallery ^_^.....he he it's also my avatar. I'll be adding more pictures soonly

Ryo-sama
01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I love Mars... I've read all 15 volumes!! It's really a good manga... however the ending seemed a bit rushed... *shrugs*....just so that ppl know... there is life after vol 15.... wheeee!!

Chiri
01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah for OVA Manga to Mars! Woot!

baku_neko
01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
...I've read all 15 volumes!! It's really a good manga... however the ending seemed a bit rushed...

Yeah, it felt a little rushed to me too. But oh well, it's still a great series! ^_^

Does Fuyumi Soryo have anymore titles? Are they any good? I wonder if TP will liscense them...

Arisa
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
I love Mars! **squee!**

I also plan on cosplaying Kira :D

I have 1-11, and I'm getting more issues as I get more money <3

I really relate to Kira <3<3<3

I really like Mars because it seems so real *o*

jen_kat
01-28-2004, 06:40 PM
baku_neko: Yes, she does have more titles.

-Three
-Boyfriend

Those are two that I can name off the top of my head. They were done before Mars. I know there was another one that came after Mars, ah! It's called Eternal Sabbath. I think I have a volume of it, but as it wasn't the first volume, I was pretty lost. Sorry I can't be of any other help for what they're about. x_x

little-inu
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
i love mars it is so cool. at first it looked funny but my friend seed it was good so she was sooo right. :love:

Bobbi
02-05-2004, 01:07 AM
I love MARS! It's my favorite manga ever. I finally bought vol 15. I donno why I didn't get it sooner. I just saw it at Ohayocon and remembered I had one more vol to go. =P Wow... I love it. The last volume was like... wow. O_O;