PDA

View Full Version : Why Hasen't there been a Con in Las Vegas?

DJ(SiC)ness
08-18-2002, 01:04 AM
Why hasen't anyone held a Con out here in Vegas yet. I mean we get all diffrents cons all the time. But no anime cons. We have tons of huge and wonderfull convention centers! maybe im saying this because i have to drive 5 hours to cali :thumbsup: But still, i can't undersatnd why there isn't one. THey are everywhere else.

Dose anyone else agree with me?

~DJ

Tenshi
08-18-2002, 01:19 AM
lol, I've been asking myself that for a long time now. . .

But there was one *supposedly* in planning, but it died before it got off the ground. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/begasucon.

But look on the bright side. . .if you go to Ani-Magic it's only 4 hours :P.

Michi
08-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes Ani-Magic! Everyone should go to Ani-Magic! *jumps up and down*

Hikaruchan
08-20-2002, 10:19 AM
Could be that space rental was too high. Most anime cons don't start in convention centers as rental is insane plus then hotels probably wouldn't give a good room rate like they sometimes will if con uses their space instead. Organizers of Las Vegas con may have been given a figure like $10,000 to rent space they wanted and its hard to come up with that kind of money if just starting out.

Ranma Saotome
08-20-2002, 01:14 PM
There was talk about a Vegas con a few months back... Don't know what happened...

DJ(SiC)ness
08-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Well we really don't need to hold it at a convention center right off the bat. We can hold it at a Hotel. My dad put on a convention a couple of years back at a holiday inn in Omaha Nebraska. The price for the con hall was only about $2,500 plus you got tables chairs and a stage. And it was a succes for what it was. Over 600 people. But that was out there, my Dad was a Radio DJ and had connections.

But you have to look at this...Las Vegas has a huge drawing power. There is stuff to do there besides the con. So we might get alot of people. This is a maybe. But we really should get this thing started up again !

~DJ

Hikaruchan
08-20-2002, 04:39 PM
For an anime con would probably also have to rent projectors, those are expensivee $$$$. Also if didn't have sources, would have to rent screens, mics, mixer, lights. Besides equipment, would also have to fly some guests in possibly plus pay for their rooms and possibly a meal or two.
I do think a con could work in Vegas, but they would definitely need to have money already in bank or a couple of sponsors. I am sure there is probably space and rental equipment that would be perfect for the usage.

DJ(SiC)ness
08-20-2002, 07:14 PM
oh it would work, but yeah we would need sponsors. Thats what pays for it all..you would have to figure it all in. You would have to get a travel agency as a sponsor, they normaly give out or (most likely) discount airplane tickects for the guests, thats what most cons do. Hotels normaly give guests free rooms when you have them sponsor as well, including discount rooms for those attending the con. And finding a place to rent all this stuff will be easy, well alot easier than most places. But yeah it will cost dough, they all do. Thats what sponsors are for, i mean we would need more sponsors than some of the big cons in cali because this is the first time doing it. But before we go on and try anything we need to see if there is a big enough intrest in a anime con. We need to put up a site or something to gather what people think.

~DJ

Mei Lan Chang
08-20-2002, 07:18 PM
I think I would get less strange looks if I cosplayed in Vegas. But I try to go to any conventions that are even remotely close, and Vegas would be one of them. Go DJ! Make me a con I can be proud of!

pookie-kun
08-20-2002, 07:57 PM
My mom an' her boyfriend fly out to vegas every once and a while.. I bet I could convince them to take me along next time, and just leave me at the convention all weekend ;) I'd love to go to a con in vegas. I've only been there once, and it kinda stunk cuz I was like.. 12, and practically tied to my 'rents.. heh!

DJ(SiC)ness
08-21-2002, 01:06 AM
hey hey hey im only 15 my power can only go so far. I need help! Help from anyone is intrested.

Im really serious about this con

~DJ

Hikaruchan
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Definitely if interested put up a website to see if can find other interested parties. Even for a small con would probably need at least 20-25 dedicated staff plus volunteers to run things. Any anime clubs in your area where you can see if others share your commitment?

DJ(SiC)ness
08-21-2002, 12:52 PM
No clue, i've looked on the net. But thats why i'm always asking if anyone live here in vegas. I just moved here (man thats getting old) and since i've got here i have been looking. But it's like there hiding.

Hikaruchan
08-21-2002, 03:27 PM
There has been some mention recently on Tristen's board (who lives in Las Vegas).

http://pub92.ezboard.com/fgoldenquartzfrm5.showMessage?topicID=49.topic

They also seem to have some sort of get together planned in another thread for possibly this weekend. So there are interested persons, they just mentioned the money situation and sound like they don't want to start really small.

L to the 3rd
08-21-2002, 03:46 PM
There should be a Con just for Cosplay in Vegas,
since Vegas people are used to seeing random
people on the streets w/ costumes on.

Michi
08-21-2002, 05:14 PM
Could always start a con /near/ Vegas and raise enough money to be /in/ Vegas. :P

DJ(SiC)ness
08-21-2002, 05:47 PM
yeah i just read the thread( hey that rhymes) It seems that ther major prob is alot of the hotels on the strip are not willing to do it because of all the minors. And the prob with doing in a hotel is , it will out grow it within a couple of years. So i don't know. IM ONLY 15 FOR CHRISTSAKE, THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH I CAN DO! :thumbsup: sorry but im all out of ideas.

L to the 3rd
08-21-2002, 07:14 PM
we checked into Luxor hotel as Squall and Rinoa
and the hotel staff didnt' bat an eye.

Star Keeper
04-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Sure people say it's no biggie to drive to CA for a con, but it can be a pain in the butt if the only vehicle you have access to you're afraid to even drive to the other side of town in because it might just stop working on the way. I think Vegas has a lot to offer by way of possibly hosting an anime con. The fanbase is here, it's just spread out over the entire valley with few or no actual conections. Sure, every once in a great while, an anime film will be shown at one theater somewhere in town, and the fans come, but the opportunities are at this time, too few, and far between. The last anime I saw in a theater was Cowboy Bebop, and that was up by where I work, so I got lucky. There isn't enough publicity in Vegas for anime if the demand isn't voiced more loudly. Maybe that's what we should try to get first-publicity and more open viewings of it and the like. Inform the fan base that it's here and there's plenty of it.

Trinity
04-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Oh, goodness, an anime convention in Las Vegas. I love Vegas and almost everything about the city, so I see definitely where you're going with that. But the potential for insanity rises so high that it isn't even funny! Still, the havoc that could take place .. oh, potential!

dustbunny
04-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Cause it's int eh middle of the desert i know i've been there. And it's far from teh east coast.

Yakuza03
04-18-2004, 12:36 PM
There's going to be a comic-con in your area, but it's a multicon (From different topics), but they're going to show a documentary Invasion: Anime. It will run in October 29-31.

Flippy
04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Went there 2 weeks ago....it was a DDR wounder land...oh my they need to have a tournment at least....so many amazing people just hanging in casio arcades when there is a huge convention center just right down the street.

felicity869
04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
As someone had mentioned there is the Las Vegas Comic Con. It started last year but it was aweful. Hopefully that was only because it was the first year and it will improve in the future.

Tenshi
04-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Las Vegas Comic-Con has been cancelled. There is the possibility of a small anime con later this year, but it's nowhere near definite.

Star Keeper
04-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow...that just makes living in Vegas all the more depressing than it already was -_-*...

jennekohan
04-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I wish there was an anime con in Vegas. I love going to Las Vegas!

XJhideSB
05-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I wish there was a con in Vegas too. I can see a few problems with it though. A lot of congoers are under 21, and since just about ever inch of Las Vegas has either a form of gambling or alcohol, it would be hard to keep all of the minors away from it. Just trying to walk across a hotel in Vegas without being stopped is hard enough if you look like you are under 21.

DJ(SiC)ness
05-06-2004, 07:44 PM
ya LVCC was cacelled due to the sponsers droping out (*poor Rich he worked so hard*) But he really wants to have a con anyways this year.

But Vegas is a bitch to have a con, becuase people rather come here to drink and gamble, not go watch anime.

hello kenney
05-07-2004, 05:58 AM
lvcc was cancelled??

edit- i looked at the site- oh well, it was sucky anyways

jinnai
06-06-2004, 02:09 PM
heres your las vegas con.

http://www.animevegas.com/

DJ(SiC)ness
06-06-2004, 07:58 PM
*sigh*

i was waiting for someone to post about that

errr ya...i dont really know how much of a con it will be.

Rich (the guy in charge and anime guru in vegas) is putting his heart and soul into this....heart and soul aka shit loads of money. But i dunno how good it will be. I've known rich for a couple years...so i have faith in him, as a vegas locale i will back him up. But dont expect this to be a big con...itsa going to be tiny.

jinnai
06-07-2004, 04:14 AM
thats how all cons start off... small.

of course this will be no AX or OTAKON...yet.

It will be in a few years if people support it.

I've sent an email to the convention, in hopes of mixing some anime music there.

allyunion
06-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Las Vegas... for a con... in that desert weather? I think a lot of cosplayers will wilt in their costumes... ^^;;;

And a con in Las Vegas can not start small. It has to start big, because, well, it's VEGAS BABY! [That, and like everyone else said... costs.]

You'd need to start with some big name guests... plus you have to give them enough excuse to come to Las Vegas to gamble ;) Hell, I don't think a big name like Akira Toriyama, given the offer for free room and board for 4 days, and $1,000 to gamble anyway for him to choose, could refuse such an offer... that would be something to real your big guests in. [On a personal note, I would be very interested what their response would be...]
[Impossible and costly, I know. But, you know, my grandparents and my parents view Vegas as a place to blow money off for fun. If you lose, you lose... that's their take on it. They limit themselves to a certain amount, and let chance take its road. Either they break even, make money, or lose a little bit. My view is that for any our esteemed Japanese Guests of Honor... they would not refuse the chance of some "free play money" of money they don't have to worry about wasting since it's not theirs in the first place. Kind of like giving someone free credits to a game...]

I would think to hit your con off big would to be bring in some guests giants... like:
Hayao Miyazaki
Nobuo Uematsu
Gackt
L'arc-en-Ciel
Yoko Kanno
Utada Hikaru
Akira Toriyama
Yuki Kajiura

Get those people to your con as Guests of Honor, you'd have anime, game, and J-pop fans flocking across the world.

Tenshi
06-07-2004, 11:49 AM
That definitely won't be happening this year, allyunion. Though it's a nice dream XD.

The con is air-conditioned. It won't be that bad! (Says the girl who's lived here her entire life ^^;; )

There's no reason to be fearful about this con! We all have to start out small. Small cons are great! People are more friendly -- isn't this why everyone loves Ani-Magic? I'm sure this will go off just fine -- we just can't expect anything huge. Rich is a great guy and I intend to help him as much as I can ^_^.

AnimeJ
06-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Rich is awesome, he's my hero!

Anime Vegas Con a go go!

look it's sean :rockon:

ToshiyaNoDorei
06-07-2004, 01:40 PM
i live in vegas, ill definatly be there ^_^ even though i have faith in rich....... wow hes a strange one, isnt tat right animeJ?

AnimeJ
06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but he took me to China Town.

jinnai
06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Las Vegas... for a con... in that desert weather? I think a lot of cosplayers will wilt in their costumes... ^^;;;

And a con in Las Vegas can not start small. It has to start big, because, well, it's VEGAS BABY! [That, and like everyone else said... costs.]

You'd need to start with some big name guests... plus you have to give them enough excuse to come to Las Vegas to gamble ;) Hell, I don't think a big name like Akira Toriyama, given the offer for free room and board for 4 days, and $1,000 to gamble anyway for him to choose, could refuse such an offer... that would be something to real your big guests in. [On a personal note, I would be very interested what their response would be...]
[Impossible and costly, I know. But, you know, my grandparents and my parents view Vegas as a place to blow money off for fun. If you lose, you lose... that's their take on it. They limit themselves to a certain amount, and let chance take its road. Either they break even, make money, or lose a little bit. My view is that for any our esteemed Japanese Guests of Honor... they would not refuse the chance of some "free play money" of money they don't have to worry about wasting since it's not theirs in the first place. Kind of like giving someone free credits to a game...]

I would think to hit your con off big would to be bring in some guests giants... like:
Hayao Miyazaki
Nobuo Uematsu
Gackt
L'arc-en-Ciel
Yoko Kanno
Utada Hikaru
Akira Toriyama
Yuki Kajiura

Get those people to your con as Guests of Honor, you'd have anime, game, and J-pop fans flocking across the world.

Umm DO YOU LIVE HERE? The people putting this all together arent wealthy...were all locals. We all live here, and no this is not a place to blow off money for "fun". I've seen too many tourists turn homeless overnight. :\

The fact that this is the first real anime con in the entire STATE is a godsend to us (versus the 8+ anime conventions next door to our state)

As for the guests...the reason they are here is for the convention, and not to gamble the entire weekend away. Its a non-profit affair, so giving them $1,000 to gamble is already out of the question.

For the con to start off as a 3-day event in its first year is already amazing and I am proud to see Rich, the con chair, is willing to make a big difference for the anime community here. Many many people have already tried to bring a con here...but all failed (I was part of a failed convention project)...until now.

Rich, I salute you. :rockon:

allyunion
06-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Umm DO YOU LIVE HERE? The people putting this all together arent wealthy...were all locals. We all live here, and no this is not a place to blow off money for "fun". I've seen too many tourists turn homeless overnight. :\

Las Vegas is a 6 hour drive from my university. And to some, if you are blowing off all the money that makes you a homeless tourist, then you have a gambling problem.
If you're a smart tourist, you'll limit yourself to a certain portion you'd want to gamble away. But as you said, "too many tourists turn homeless overnight," which implies that all those people who are homeless are the people who are stupid.

As for the guests...the reason they are here is for the convention, and not to gamble the entire weekend away. Its a non-profit affair, so giving them $1,000 to gamble is already out of the question.

Make sure you read all of my post please. I said, "Impossible and costly, I know."

However, I was counting the fact that if you had said above guests, you could offer such an amount. Mind you, it's $1,000 to play with, not to keep. If they happen to earn anything above $1,000 then they keep it. If they lose any of it, they don't need to worry about it.

You'd get someone like Akira Toriyama to come... man, I predict you'd get every cartoon, anime, and child in the West Coast to come.

Not to mention, if you say you have Toriyama-san coming, you'd likely drag a string of Guests of Honor which you don't likely have to offer the $1,000 for. Room and board would be sufficient...

Of course, big name Guest of Honor most likely equals instant sponsorship. In the case of Toriyama-san, you know if you contacted Cartoon Network, they'd likely help with the con.

But... one can only dream of such possibilities...

jinnai
06-08-2004, 03:03 PM
I'd doubt Akira would be interested. Nice dream though.

Just wondering, when was the last time he went to a convention in America?

allyunion
06-08-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't think ever... but I'm not so sure on that.

jinnai
06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
oh wait...hes been to a convention in NY....they also had the release party of shounen jump USA. I think thats the only one...its rare when he makes an appearance.

rcstott
06-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Las Vegas is a 6 hour drive from my university. And to some, if you are blowing off all the money that makes you a homeless tourist, then you have a gambling problem.
If you're a smart tourist, you'll limit yourself to a certain portion you'd want to gamble away. But as you said, "too many tourists turn homeless overnight," which implies that all those people who are homeless are the people who are stupid.

Make sure you read all of my post please. I said, "Impossible and costly, I know."

However, I was counting the fact that if you had said above guests, you could offer such an amount. Mind you, it's $1,000 to play with, not to keep. If they happen to earn anything above $1,000 then they keep it. If they lose any of it, they don't need to worry about it.

You'd get someone like Akira Toriyama to come... man, I predict you'd get every cartoon, anime, and child in the West Coast to come.

Not to mention, if you say you have Toriyama-san coming, you'd likely drag a string of Guests of Honor which you don't likely have to offer the $1,000 for. Room and board would be sufficient...

Of course, big name Guest of Honor most likely equals instant sponsorship. In the case of Toriyama-san, you know if you contacted Cartoon Network, they'd likely help with the con.

But... one can only dream of such possibilities...

Hi,

I understand it would be GREAT if I could secure a guest from Japan (like Akira Toriyama, Masashi Kishimoto, Gosho Aoyama, Kosuke Fujishima, Tohru Fujisawa, Takeshi Konomi, Yukiru Sugisaki, Eiichiro Oda, Kurono Nanae, Hiroyuki Nishimori, Arakawa Hiromu, Shoji Gatoh, Hiro Mashima, Hotta Yumi and Obata Takeshi, Hiroyuki Takei or Kazuki Takahashi). Believe me I have tried, but besides their schedules being very busy, it is very expensive to bring one out (First class flight for two from JAPAN, first class hotel, limo at their disposal, some cash upfront, plus a salary). But it does not mean it is not impossible next year or a few years away. I have had several letters and emails from these guests showing interest in attending our convention in the future. I will keep in contact with them and the North American Companies that license their anime. I hope you decide to attend, as it will be a fun event for a first year con. Don't expect anything like Anime Expo, it will be small, with about 200 attendees. A small Fashion Show Cosplay, a few dealers, some AMVs (thanks to the help of Ohayoo con) and one or two guests. But with everyones help, it can grow into a nice convention. The one thing I do want to do is make it affordable for fans and dealers. I NEVER intend to make money off the convention and just want it to break even.

Thanks again,

Rich

spec-ted
06-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Hell I live in California and if there was an anima convention in las Vegas I would definitely go, even if it was small to just support the ppl, well good luk in making this coming up convention work rich :bigtu: hope it grows cus unless something changes in my hectic ass scheduled I cant god :lost: *it realllly suks I wanted to go* well u have my full support

dark_mousy
08-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Yes. It's about time we finally get our own Anime Convention. I didn't think it'd ever happen! I agree with what everyone has said on here, it'll be small, but with enough support, it'll grow big. Besides, i've heard people like Gackt, and Ayumi Hamasaki like to come to Vegas.. If I remember correctly, Gackt brings his Dears to Vegas yearly, so maybe in a few years, if the con grows bigger and bigger, we could have a possiblitly of brining someone like them to Vegas. This con just need support support and more support. I already have friends I'm dragging, and I'ms till telling people about it. If words gets around, maybe this'll really happen and it will grow over time, ya know? I know friends of mine, who plan on attending next year if there is a next year. I live in Vegas, and go to the most Otaku populated school in the city becuase of the Japanese language class. And trust me, I plan on telling everyone. <3 I really hope this works out and goodluck to the staff. Be expecting me! Lol. And great job Rich, I think this might actually happen.

Anime Vegas was even mentioned in this months newtype in the "upcoming Events".. Now that is publicity for you. If it's in new type, word of it is REALLY getting around. Hopefully that'l help bring in some people. <3 I think this will work!