PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Headband Tutorial.. sort of...

Aurora Maryte
02-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Okay, well first off, I'm going to say that I have no pics for this. My mother doesn't like digital cameras(I don't either, pics generally tend to look bad unless your camera was like $300, you need to print them, etc.), but she takes forever to get photos developed. I only have 1 pic of my cosplaying-ever. No pics developed of how I made the stuff. Sad... but yeah, that's why I'm not sure if this will constitute a tutorial. It should help most people though. Just use your imaginations and your brains!!

Okay, you may or may not have noticed that some headbands are easier to come by than others. Iwagakure isn't even made at all. At any rate, a headband costs you at least $10 storebought, but I was able to make all of this for about $6(because I bought too much freakin' material, but I didn't know at that point. I was a stupid n00b.) I was directed to a half-assed online tutorial on MasseyForum or something, with half the pics missing, and was a cosplaying n00b, but I'm glad some pics were missing, because I ingeniously improved their tutorial- which no longer exists anyway. I tried to show someone yesterday, but the site is gone...

At any rate, in the tutorial, I will be referring to the Iwagakure 'slashed' headband I made. But you can make any headband with this tutorial- just make sure you leave out the slashing if you aren't cosplaying as a missing-nin!!! But yeah, any symbol works- you could even make up your own if you're creative like that, and have slashing or none. All right, here goes... Any questions or anything you want explained better and more in depth, just post here!! I'm happy to explain or elaborate more on anything!!

You start with a soda can. Yeah, a soda can. Make sure it's clean and had light colored soda inside. Cut off the top and bottom, then cut it long ways, so that you're able to take it and roll it out into one big strip. Outline the size and shape you want your headband to have(helps to have a storebought headband to trace- I used my brother's Suna one as reference) on a piece of paper. Place it on the strip of metal, and take a boxcutter and cut along the lines that you drew on the paper, cutting through the paper, and metal can underneath. Make sure that the shape on the paper is a bit bigger than your headband should be, in case you make mistakes, or need to trim edges.

So, you have the general shape on the nice shiny metallic back(inside) of the old soda can. Now what about the symbol?... You can actually draw on the metal with pencil, which helps when trying to get the symbol perfect. Once it is, take the boxcutter, and cut again, but this time, do so very slowly and lightly, so that you make a deep gash in the metal, but don't cut all the way through- DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH FOR THE SYMBOL. This takes a while- because you're literally scratching away at the metal, you have to keep going over the same part, smoothing it out for visual appeal, but not cutting through. Don't worry, it's worth it later. After you have a nicely smoothed out design etched into the metal, get some black acrylic paint, and a really small tipped paint brush, and paint into the indentation you made for the symbol. (All the store-bought headbands have this black paint effect). Then take your boxcutter again, and do that same slow, tedious etching for the slashing across the symbol- but when you get near where you've painted, be careful. You want it to look like it messed up the symbol a bit, but don't destroy you work!! If you want, you can sketch out the slashing too beforehand- I did. For the slashing, once etched in, add a tiny bit of paint, so little that it almost blends into the metal. It makes the slashing noticeable, but not stupid looking.

Buy a shiny piece of black cloth, long enough to fit around your head with a bit of excess, and wide enough so that you can fold it over three times equally, and still have yoour metal piece fit nicely on it with excess on top and bottom(like Naruto headbands look...). Also buy some brass fasteners- if you can find them in metal color, great!! I couldn't, so had to buy brass, and paint them as close as I could to the metal headband color. But they do come in metal- my sister's teacher had a whole pack 2 weeks before... Ugh!!!

You've seen how in the upper and lower corners of Naruto headbands, as well as at the center area of each side, there's a little round nail or screw like thing, probably used for attachment, right? Well, draw little circles on your headband in the corners, and far centers, where those round metal pieces should be. Measure for eveness. Then, make small cuts -through the metal this time- where you've drawn those circles- BUT DON'T CUT TO THE EGDE OF THE METAL, OR YOUR HEADBAND WON'T HOLD ON TO THE CLOTH AND WILL FALL OFF! Take the bottoms of those metal or brass fasteners, cut them a little shorter, and shove the prongs 1 through each of those 6 cuts you made, so that the round part holds nicely to the front of your headband. If your cloth is folded into 3 equal parts, so that the part without an edge is facing forward, and the 1st fold is underneath it, the 3rd fold over that one in the back(helps with aesthetics), cut six holes to 2 layers of the cloth, and shove the prongs of the fasteners through. Fold them over, and your metal is now attached to the cloth, without glue, and won't come off. The last piece of cloth fold, that you didn't stick them through, is to protect your head in case those metal prongs ram into your skin- ha, now they can't! Sew the 3 pieces of cloth along their entire tops and along their entire bottom, to keep things together- and you can sew at the back edges that will tie around you too if you'd like. I did because I cut that in a triangle sort of shape, because my brother's headband was like that where it tied off.

Anyway, you have your headband!!! Hope that at least on that account I was able to help!!

GOT QUESTIONS?! JUST ASK ME!!!

dor1987
02-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Hmm, look it's nice buy useing tin is kinda dangerous and complex
You can use cardboard for makeing it
1. cut cardboard in the size that u wish the hand band will be
2.cut the symbol of the villige you with to have on your headband
3. gloue the symbol to the headband
4.put hot glue on each edge of the headband and make it look like the screw
that hold the "iron' to the thing that u tie toy our head
5. color it with Silver spray paitng to make it look shiny
6. glue it to the thing you tie to your head
And Walla we get this
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/349/0302071506rp4.jpg

by the way it look much better on real life :}

Aurora Maryte
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, but cardboard can't look as realistic as real metal... and glue comes off. The way I thought this up, you'd have to really maliciously rip at it for the metal to detach from the material. And it looks like the storebought ones....

If you're careful, it isn't dangerous. I didn't get hurt once- not even close to it.

But whatever, to each their own.

M0chi-chai
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
O__O are you serious!! That's so innovative it makes me cry a little xD I bought a headband when i was in cali only to realize that it was too big for my head(but it'll be over one of one of my eyes/on my leg anyways) but this is perfect!!! I had no idea how i was gonna get 4 more headbands for my friends, but shoot -- we'll just drink soda and make our own!! XDD

I just hope I don't get sued by their parents if they get hurt or anything! D: so i'll heed your words and be very careful lol i'll let you know when i try it ^^~

ninjadatizzle
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow thats really really good ideas both the soda can and the card board

Aurora Maryte
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
O__O are you serious!! That's so innovative it makes me cry a little xD I bought a headband when i was in cali only to realize that it was too big for my head(but it'll be over one of one of my eyes/on my leg anyways) but this is perfect!!! I had no idea how i was gonna get 4 more headbands for my friends, but shoot -- we'll just drink soda and make our own!! XDD

I just hope I don't get sued by their parents if they get hurt or anything! D: so i'll heed your words and be very careful lol i'll let you know when i try it ^^~

Oh my gosh, I know, the commercial headbands are sooo big!! I mena, when I sketched out the outline form my brother's, I had to hold it up to my head, and then resize the damned outline 3 times to make it small enough to fit my head without covering my eyes!! So I hear what you're saying!! Even if they made the village I had needed, I couldn't have used it!

And yeah, I mean, just tell them to use common sense with a box cutter- I'm the clumsiest person alive, and I was fine, so you should be fine legally. :) I'm glad I was able to help with this tutorial!! I was wondering if it was like the stupidest thing ever or what, but yay, people are happy!! :)

M0chi-chai
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh my gosh, I know, the commercial headbands are sooo big!! I mena, when I sketched out the outline form my brother's, I had to hold it up to my head, and then resize the damned outline 3 times to make it small enough to fit my head without covering my eyes!! So I hear what you're saying!! Even if they made the village I had needed, I couldn't have used it!

And yeah, I mean, just tell them to use common sense with a box cutter- I'm the clumsiest person alive, and I was fine, so you should be fine legally. :) I'm glad I was able to help with this tutorial!! I was wondering if it was like the stupidest thing ever or what, but yay, people are happy!! :)

XDD yeah, it's not like naruto fans have big foreheads or anything!! I can't even wear it as a headband because it doesn't bend ;__;

hehe, legally XD I might have to go to my school's robotics room to see if they have a box cutter lol! Cuz I don't have one @__@ Oh no, it's an awesome(and way cheap!) method ^^ i saw your cosplay of Deidara and the headband looked amazing :P

Aurora Maryte
02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
XDD yeah, it's not like naruto fans have big foreheads or anything!! I can't even wear it as a headband because it doesn't bend ;__;

hehe, legally XD I might have to go to my school's robotics room to see if they have a box cutter lol! Cuz I don't have one @__@ Oh no, it's an awesome(and way cheap!) method ^^ i saw your cosplay of Deidara and the headband looked amazing :P

Oh, thanks so much!! :) I don't know though, the paint on the brass fasteners didn't match- which is why in the tutorial I said to try to find the reg. metal ones. Blending paint to look like metal is tough, so it's so much better if anyone else could find the ones that are metal already. And yeah, I stole my father's boxcutter that he was supposed to bring back to a friend from work, lol... Because like really, what in everyday life does someone need one for anyway? But that's funny, taking it from teh robotics room- and awesome taht you school has one too. o.O

And yeah, we aren't Sakura dammit!! I mean, what the hell do those company owners think we are?.. That sucks that it doesn't even bend though.... Well, at least for this one you won't have to worry- it's strong, but bends really well too.

Koda89
02-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Cheap? Yes, dangerous? Possibly.

Box cutters aren't the dangerous part...it is the cut tin itself. The sharpest edges are always the thinest ones. Once you remove the top and bottom of the can, you have a cylinder of very sharp metal.

But, it is cheap, never the less. Also, where the heck do you guys buy your headbands? I buy mine at conventions, and they are at most no more than 4" wide, heck, even 4" is pushing it.

M0chi-chai
02-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Oh, thanks so much!! :) I don't know though, the paint on the brass fasteners didn't match- which is why in the tutorial I said to try to find the reg. metal ones. Blending paint to look like metal is tough, so it's so much better if anyone else could find the ones that are metal already. And yeah, I stole my father's boxcutter that he was supposed to bring back to a friend from work, lol... Because like really, what in everyday life does someone need one for anyway? But that's funny, taking it from teh robotics room- and awesome taht you school has one too. o.O

And yeah, we aren't Sakura dammit!! I mean, what the hell do those company owners think we are?.. That sucks that it doesn't even bend though.... Well, at least for this one you won't have to worry- it's strong, but bends really well too.

Hahha, okay, because i panicked when you said boxcutter. I was thinking, "what the heck is a boxcutter?" and asked my mom if we had one. She handles with carboard boxes(though it's only what's inside them xD) yeah! I only found out we have one when i chose to write a story about them for our school newspaper ^^ (silly me, accepting to take a story when i didn't know there was a robotics club) one of my friends in robotics thinks that it should be something that every school has :) i agree! they're great people.

Ahh, awesome ^^ I figured since it was aluminum it'll bend nicely. So Koda89 brings up an interesting point. Did you have that problem? Or is there a way to kind of prevent it from cutting you? I figured that the cloth could be kind of...glued to it or something to make it so the edges are unable to rub against and potentially cut something. But that's just me, who hasn't tried it yet...i'm stingy and kind of wary of buying a headband from target xD but i think my friends are leaning more towards buying it cuz they want to be as accurate as possible...ah well! Still wanna try your method lol

ninjadatizzle
02-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Cheap? Yes, dangerous? Possibly.

Box cutters aren't the dangerous part...it is the cut tin itself. The sharpest edges are always the thinest ones. Once you remove the top and bottom of the can, you have a cylinder of very sharp metal.

But, it is cheap, never the less. Also, where the heck do you guys buy your headbands? I buy mine at conventions, and they are at most no more than 4" wide, heck, even 4" is pushing it.

Good point with the edges and all but if u r concious enough to steer clear of them then u should be fine :)

The one time i went into hot topic i saw some headbands for like $10 or so

They also had gloves too so if ur looking for them

Aurora Maryte
02-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Okay... I cut the edges of the tin can with scissors, not the box cutter. Maybe I forgot to write that- but anyway, the scissors gave it a nice clean cut, and hell, I ran my finger all the way around the outer edge of the cut headband shape to make sure it was smooth and didn't get cut. It wasn't really that sharp, once I had it cut smoothly in the final shape. At first, when I just cut it off the can, and it still had jagged edges- yeah, it was pretty sharp, so just watch out for that is all.

And even if your can is somehow stll sharp around the edges afterwards, you can either try to sand down the edges, or just not worry at all. The metal fasteners keep the headband piece really close to the material, and so if you reach up to touch it, it's like it's one piece- the material and metal. You finger doesn't run along the edge of the metal and catch on it at all. I was touching that thing continuously, because my hair kept annoying me, and I had to fix the headband after fixing my hair... And yeah, it was perfectly fine.

As for the headbands I've bought before, for my brother and sister- I got them in Chinatown. They're the more expensive ones, with the smaller piece of metal than let's say Hot Topic's for example.. But I just must have a tiny forehead so they didn't fit me.

Sarah_Chan16
03-04-2007, 01:24 AM
wow thanks this really helps!! I have a really small forhead so whenever i bought the real one (konoha and suna) I seriously wouldn't be able to see NOW I CAN MAKE ONE MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!THANKS AGAIN!

Justke
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm in the progress of making this :) all i need are the fasteners and to cut the fabric...it's looking good!!!

For now, I just etched the symbol with scissors and colored over with a sharpie XD i wouldn't recommend the sharpie, it was just something i had at the time...But I have black acrylic paint now!! So the ones i'll do together with my friends will be used with paint...and i'll see if we can all go down to the shop and use their boxcutters, haha. Or use something else that can etch into the soda can...because scissors are weird. :P

dog_named_cat
05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
cool! Now I can make a headband for my next cosplay! I'm going as Naruto after time-jump and I really need a headband!

FaithInDeidara
05-17-2007, 10:31 PM
the storebought ones bend, and they fit me perfectly...you just have to be careful and not apply too much pressure...man, i need to get my mom to get some pics of me on here...

Zhaena
05-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Hmm... did you use a Tin or Aluminium can? Does it make a difference? I kinda thought it might since the aluminium cans are quite a bit heavier... would that make them better suited for this or less? *is a total n00b when it comes to metal*

Aurora Maryte
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Hmm... did you use a Tin or Aluminium can? Does it make a difference? I kinda thought it might since the aluminium cans are quite a bit heavier... would that make them better suited for this or less? *is a total n00b when it comes to metal*

Well, I used reallllly thin aluminum, but if you use one of those thicker aluminum cans- my brother has one from some kind of Filipino juice drink, and it can't even be crushed when you step on it- then well, I think it would be too difficult to use. You wouldn't be able to cut through it for the brads(the real name of the metal fasteners it seems), wouldn't be able to etch into it, and wouldn't be able to bend it so it fits properly around your head. I don't even know if thick aluminum could be cut with a pair of household scissors, you might have to use some sort of special scissors or something else.

That said, I don't recommend thick aluminum of the type I think you're thinking of. I don't know how tin would be, but it would probably work- though it might be too thin to get the symbol on without cutting straight through the metal... I used a regular soda can, and it was aluminum, but very thin aluminum. And it worked great, so that's what I'd recommend. Just find yourself an aluminum soda can... or if you can't, try tin, but idk... I think thicker aluminum will be too hard to work with though...

ningyobaka
07-29-2007, 07:24 AM
to reshape a store bought one, (if you're having trouble and have this acessible.) find a round cement post put your head band against it. and use a rubber mallet to hit it and bend it.

i have a shaper at work so i ran it threw that to fix mine.

to make your tutorial safer/maybe a little easier than a box cutter. if someone is going to be making several of these, i would suggest buying a pair of snips. or metal sheers at your local hardware store. it'll cut the metal like scissors cut paper. but make sure you get the right kind. (useually yellow handled) different ones do different things. yellow is a straight cut. green and red. (fotgot which is which) is left and right curves.)

also. (i might have missed it) did you put in your tutorial about sanding the edges maybe? that would make it safer too. :)

Sanda
07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Yay for accuracy, un!!
Lovely tutorial as well, bookmarking!

Funfoam actually can look really cool sprayed as well >D

I think at this point, we're going to use metal for it to get the thickness :3

TurkeyMooMooSan
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
*bows down* THANK YOU! I'm glad you made this! Now I won't have to waste money at Hot Topic! *even though it's worth it sometimes XD*

RyuTheForgotten
08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
You know what I found works? getting a roll of aluminum tape, laying out about 30 or so strips of it, sticking them together (There's a paper part cause it's SUPER adhesive) and doing the rest of the process (Although i spray paint the entire top layer black, and lay another piece of tape down on top with the symbol cut out of it)

Aurora Maryte
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
You know what I found works? getting a roll of aluminum tape, laying out about 30 or so strips of it, sticking them together (There's a paper part cause it's SUPER adhesive) and doing the rest of the process (Although i spray paint the entire top layer black, and lay another piece of tape down on top with the symbol cut out of it)

That sounds freakin' awesome, and actually better and easier than what I did! I never, in a million years, would've thought of that.

StolenPromise
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
(you can bend the metal headbands by holding the metal over a candle, letting it heat a bit then carefully bending it)

Anyways, I'm glad to know I won't have to completely destroy my current commercial headband i bought. ( it doesn't have the black paint)

natnoj
12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
You could get hurt! Cans = sharp

featherweight
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
thier is another way to make one out of cardboard that looks alot less like its made of cardbaord.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage25.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage26.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage27.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage28.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage29.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/NINJAGEARpage30.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/featherweight-cosplay/GEAR/headband.jpg

thats from my book Ninja gear the rest of it is posted here if thiers soemthing your not clear on http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=134354

natnoj
01-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Just put a layer of transparent sticky tape over the sharp edges and you'll be safe. its transparent so you won't even notice it.

Toane
02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Awsome i was going to order a headband from ebay and spend like $10 now i can use a 10 cent soda can thank you for posting this it helped me alot oh and nice deidara cosplay

MidniteSunshine
02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Wicked tutorial. I made a couple headbands myself using it, and they all turned out great. I didn't find there were any safety issues at all and I'm probably one of the clutziest people on the planet:D.

On a different subject, Aurora Maryte, how did you do your hands for Deidara? In your pic they look pretty cool and I've been wondering what methods people use to make the mouths.

OsukaXArino
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
pre made beat home made in my experience...unless u are making a fictional village for the cosplay I suggest buying it

BeckieLyn
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Ahh thank god, one less head ache for my costume! I have a store-bought Suna head band but this is my first time as someone from Konoha and I had no idea where to look. I found the Suna one at a garage sale. (Durham is the worst possible place in the WORLD to look for anything to do with a costume.) Do you know how hard finding something is when you have a 2 week deadline? Well some of you probably do. xD.

As for the edges, they never bugged me. I had to use the boxcutter for the whole operation.

ShadowPlay
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey that's great! Sounds a bit hard, but great idea none the less! I was going to make how how you said, but they gave me one, so no need :p But I'm going to try and make one anyway =^.^=

Puppetry
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I like the results :0 but how exactly do you bend the can inside out so that you can work with the silver part on the inside? Or am I missing something/cutting it wrong?

Konoha_ANBU
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM
OK, maybe it's just me. But, I don't really like using cardboard. When I made my cloud village headband, I used a sheet of metal (Probably tin) I got some metal cutting sheers, cut out the size I wanted, Drew the design in pencil, then chiseled it in with a hammer, and a screw driver. Then I took a couple of rivets, and pounded them through the metal, in the appropriate places. I don't have a picture because someone left it outside when they cleaned the truck =\ But, rest assured, it looked awesome. The only hard part was attaching the metal to fabric... I think the way I finally got it to work, was with a silicon adhesive. But, I'll say right now. Basically, nothing worked. So, there's your only real complication with that method. But, in all honesty, cardboard ones look fine too. That's how my brother prefers to make them.

MidniteSunshine
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
The biggest problem I had with this was getting the can flat enough so that I could use it without hassle. In the end I opted for placing it beneath all my school textbooks. I had a stack a foot and a half high-it sure weighed plenty enough.

The Commodore
04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
This is very ingenious. I bought a Sound headband because I wanted to cosplay Zaku, but it's so huge I'd never wear it! I also have a Naruto themed OC that I might like to cosplay someday who is from a village that doesn't even exist in the series, so this tutorial may come in very handy someday!!

Nygenx
04-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Instead of using an aluminum can, I suggest you buy a 40 cent piece of "alumium flashing" at your local home improvement store. You can cut it to the desired size with a scissor and then fold in the edges with a hard ruler, or the like. Its better looking, and it wont cut you. Then tape the back of the headband to make sure its all smooth.

markiemark425
04-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Great tutorial but...

My mother doesn't like digital cameras(I don't either, pics generally tend to look shitty, you need to print them, etc.), but she takes forever to get photos developed.

:dies:

AnimeClubOwner
04-28-2008, 02:14 AM
you are a fscking genious. I was about to do this all complicated with wonderflex and then I stumbled on this. *kisses you*

KawaiiKiller
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks! That helped for my next cosplaying party at my friends house, it was a little complicated cutting the soda can, but i managed.

alicehana
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
:) yeah, you can make your own naruto forehead guard as the link below ( pics including ) :-)

http://www.cosplayclasses.com/an-easiest-way-to-make-a-naruto-forehead-guard/

Crocodile
08-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Oh my god...finally, something I can make that wont kill me! (spends his time trying to build mini-EVAs), I have a Konoha HB from Hot Topic, those things are huge >> but I got pissed and bent it one day, it's still big though... But! Now I can cosplay as Kakuzu! Wewt for Aurora! Wewt for Kumo!

Nisnavax
08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Actually it's more of a question but I was wondering if you could just fold the edges of the metal plate under so that it isn't sharp? I know there would be a bit of a round edge but then couldn't you have just squished it flat. I know it might still be sharp but not as sharp. Sorry if someone suggested it before, didn't actually read the whole thread, it's like 10:30.... anyway hope that helped.......:bigtu:

shmac
09-06-2008, 06:56 PM
x] I finally got around to doing this; I've been meaning to for awhile, but if anyone saw me chopping up a pop can, they'd think I'm insane. Finally I got time to do it!
I used a Diet Coke can, cause it was the only thing on hand, and even though there was dark soda inside, it looked fine. =D
I also didn't have acrylic paint on hand, so I used a sharpie. After I went over it in sharpie, I retraced it with the boxcutter, and I'm really happy with how it looks! And I didn't have fasteners, so I punched holes in the leftover can with a hole puncher, and hotglued them onto my headband.
I have yet to get pictures up (>.> I followed half this tutorial and half another, in which they had a cardboard backing, which I got tired of, and ripped off. xD), but I'll do that eventually.

Oh, also. The way I did this was I stabbed a hole in the pop can, then cut around it with scissors to get the cylinder. I found that the scissors worked really well, and contrary to popular belief, the edges of the headband weren't sharp at all.

Thank you for the tutorial! ^_^

hedgehog92
12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, what a great find. I now have a much cheaper way of making headbands for my two Akatsuki cosplays coming up. It's almost impossible to find a waterfall headband and even harder to find a missing nin one and I've already had a very bad experience with my bought leaf headband.

BE CAREFUL OF THOSE THINGS!!!

I was adjusting the headband carefully using the soft slippy fabric and my thumb slipped right off of it and right along the edge of the metal, slicing it right open....

So yeah, not too happy with my leaf headband. BUT!

To go back on the subject at hand, lovely tutorial, and even though all I have at my house is dark soda cans, I'll just try it and see...who knows how it'll turn out? :D

Well thank you again....

Aurora Maryte
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh wow, people are still posting here... I'm so clueless.

But yeah, I agree, those store bought headbands usually are pretty terrible- it depends on what kind you get, there are really three types from what I've seen.

This headband can be sharp on the edges too, if you don't sand it. I didn't bother sanding mine, but that's because, if done properly, the metal lies very close to the material, and doesn't lift up far enough to cut you. Sanding would make it completely safe though, but eh...I'm lazy.
And it won't need to be adjusted at all like a storebought, because I mean, you size the length of material to fit around your head and tie off, so it fits perfectly and looks wayyy realistic- or, it looks like it does in Naruto when they tie it off anyway, lol. And the width, from top to bottom of your forehead your get to measure too, so it fits over your ears and stays without falling and needing to be pushed up all the time- or being way too big and clunky up on your forehead. That's one of the reasons why I did this- well, plus there were no Iwagakure headbands back then, at all. I agree though, waterfall bands are hard to find, so I'm really glad I could help you out. :)

And shmac, you're welcome too!! Glad the tutorial was easy and worked out well for you! :)

misaloveslight6
08-16-2009, 05:26 AM
XD its such an ingenious idea o.o