PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine claws.

JacksUsername
04-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey, i was just wondering what people thought would be the best and most affordable material to make the three blade claws that come out of wolverine's hands from. I'm going to slit three holes in my leather gloves and hopefully slide them underneath so I would also be able to take them out in order to drink and eat and such things.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarcasm-hime
04-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, here's what I did when I made a pair of claw-gloves for a friend's Ken costume (from Weiss Kreuz): I modified a pair of rollerblade wristguards by building up 'tracks' out of hot glue, then cut blades out of sheet metal (sanding the edges so it wasn't too sharp) and put a dollop of hot glue at the back of each blade so it would slide forward but not all the way out. Then I covered the tracks with a piece of leather. It's a bit bulky on the back of the hand, but it worked quite nicely. You could use Paperclay or Model Magic to make the tracks as well.

I'm not sure you could make the claws fit under a regular pair of gloves, as the edges of the blades would have to be sliding against the backs of your hands, which wouldn't be comfortable.

JacksUsername
04-07-2003, 09:55 PM
hmm..when you made the tracks, do you mean you just built up hot glue so it made ridges inside the glove? and how how thick and what gage was the sheet metal.. you don't have any pictures by any chance do you? sorry, new to this and I'm having trouble picturing the width/length in comarison ot the gloves, plus unsure of the bulkiness you mentioned...thanks for the suggestion though, its the best solution i've heard from here or my friends

Sarcasm-hime
04-08-2003, 03:38 PM
I have a couple pics at http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/othercosplay.html but they're not really close-up and it was a rush job anyways. I built up hot glue so it made ridges on top of the wrist-guard, then after inserting the blades I covered the ridges with leather. They're really bulky in the pics because they were built on top of the wrist-guards, which were kind of thick to begin with. If you used something thin as a base (like a piece of plastic), then it wouldn't be as bulky.

I used sheet copper painted silver, but you should be able to find sheet aluminum at a sheet-metal store or at a Home Depot. ^_^
Just remember that the tops of the tracks would need to be a bit higher than the blades, so the blades can slide.

This is just my method of solving the blade problem--I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

JacksUsername
04-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but they ended up being just a little too bulky..

To update, what I ended up doing was using some plastic gardening spikes and sprarypainted them metallic chrome...then I slit my gloves and I'm sliding them underneath...its a little uncomfortable, but nothing I cna't handle. :)

thanks again, though

Necron99
10-13-2003, 02:06 AM
please oh please tell me that that guy with the rollerblade gloves didnt have eight claws instead of six...
thats just negligent

Nevernaut
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Aluminum strikes me as the best material, though it's probably not convention safe...I started a thread on a similar topic here (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=21593) And still haven't come up with anything definate.

I'm trying the plastic, but I'm thinking I may just go with wood.