PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your manga?

baku_neko
04-07-2003, 11:17 AM
I get mine mostly at Borders and Waldenbooks, but when I can't find it there, I goto my local comic book shop.

kris
04-07-2003, 11:20 AM
BOOK OFF ^0^ I am cheap o(_ _)o

(BOOK OFF is like-- used manga store in Japan. You can get any book for 100-200yen most often... like... US 1 - 2 dollars.)

Selphie_fairy
04-07-2003, 11:28 AM
i buy at barnes and noble then i go to comic book dealer^_^ i LOVE buying at barnes and noble mwahahaha i stay there reading then i end up buying only one manga ^_^'

Babbit_Chan
04-07-2003, 12:50 PM
I get mine everywhere -_-; *checked all of them*

HuongStar
04-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Yahoo Japan, baby. ^_^ If I can't find it there, I shop at a variety of online stores.

Umi
04-07-2003, 01:47 PM
For Japanese manga mostly Kinokuniya bookstore or Sasuga bookstore online.

English manga is wherever I happen to pop into... Waldenbooks, Suncoast Video, Virgin Records.

Tenjou
04-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I get mine mainly at Barnes and Noble, but they don't carry Planet Ladder so I drive up to my nearest Suncoast (an hour and a half away ^^; ) and get it there. Otherwise I go to my local comic book shop.

videogirlc
04-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Borders, Kinokuniya, and comic book stores.

soaze
04-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Japanese bookstores in NYC
Kinokuniya, Asahiya, and Book off
:D

Michi
04-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Kinokuniya in San Francisco, and sometimes at cons if something I haven't found at Kino catches my eye. ^_^

Minako Kou
04-07-2003, 08:10 PM
I get most of mine from 'Media Play' and sometimes book stores and sometimes comic book stores...yeah a variety.

jen_kat
04-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I get mine from:
1) Kinokuniya - Downtown LA (my last resort; the most expensive... T_T)
2) Asahiya - Mitsuwa Plaza in Torrance (second to last resort)
3) Book Off - Pacific Square in Gardena (the gem of all gems; got some manga that I couldn't find anywhere else)

used to get from:
4) Mandarake - first at Mitsuwa, then on Santa Monica Blvd. (except it's closed and gone now..)

Shadow Lady
04-07-2003, 10:07 PM
I buy my manga at Kinokuniya in Seattle on my rare Seattle trips.
I bought a few once on the Sasuga online bookstore and my japanese friend will sometimes get me a manga or two at Book Off in Japan (I give her some money of course). She buys all of her manga there. Soooo cheap. She got me a Tenchi Muyo manga once for only 50 yen ^_^.

Something Lulu
04-08-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Selphie_fairy
i buy at barnes and noble then i go to comic book dealer^_^ i LOVE buying at barnes and noble mwahahaha i stay there reading then i end up buying only one manga ^_^'

LOL I work at a B&N so I obviously buy mine there (30% discount!), but there are SO many ppl who do what you do, and then don't even buy anything. Recently I have been trying to increase the graphic novels section with 2 other coworkers, and it's gone from a few shelves to 3 full bookcases with a display along the main aisle, and we carry a lot of shoujo in Kids. ^_^ Sounds weird, but we're pretty proud of it, and more ppl have been coming in to buy from it.

Originally posted by Tenjou
I get mine mainly at Barnes and Noble, but they don't carry Planet Ladder so I drive up to my nearest Suncoast (an hour and a half away ^^; ) and get it there.

You can always call up or go to your local B&N and order it. They'll give you a call when it comes in and hold it aside for you for about a week or two. (Oh no, I sound like a salesperson lol. But it would save you the trip.) Speaking of which, I wonder if my store carries it? I think I've seen it in Kids, but I'm in another section so it's hard to keep track of what manga they carry there. I usually try to order a whole lot of something and steal some copies from there.

rei_hino
04-08-2003, 04:34 PM
no stores around here have them. . . and barnes and nobles only has one shelf full mostly of magazines and stuff. . and its a small shelf too! But the mangas I do have I got from there anyway. .However! I get my dvds from a cool site with anime discount dvds. . .and amazon

number18
04-10-2003, 01:41 PM
The Borders in Nashua (a big, tax-free shopping area in NH) has a very surprisingly varied selection of manga. It's basically a graphic novel section, with the manga right beside American GNs. They have a LOT of stuff, which is very nice...although lately I've been getting my Peach Girls from Waldenbooks, since they seem to do a good job of stocking the newest releases. Suncoast and Barnes and Nobles up here don't usually carry the latest thing...then again the Suncoast here has only that one revolving manga stand, which is quite small...and they are a video store, not a book store.

As for comic book stores carrying manga, well...around me, there are only 2 GOOD comic stores. One is in Fitchburg, where I used to live but don't now, and the other is the One Year Picnic or something in Cambridge, which is an awesome comic book store. The one in Fitchburg is very good too and has recently been carrying lots of manga and the anthologies, like Raijin and such.

Velvy
04-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Walden Books. O_O

It's a Jackpot in there (at least at the Walden Books I shop at).

Ina
04-10-2003, 08:40 PM
i usually get mine from B&N and Suncoast

for japanese manga i buy them at kinokuniya in LA ^^ or any good asian stores

Xanatos
04-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Walden Books, I have a Preferred Reader Discount card :japan:

Kirschwasser
04-11-2003, 10:21 AM
My favourite place to find manga is in Little Tokyo, Los Angles. (God, I love LA, they have everything! ^_^) I always go to Kinokuniya, they have everything there for me. And they are so nice, they let me order my manga magazines from them every month. (I live in NM, so it's not like I can just easily drive to downtown LA. :p)
So when I'm in Los this summer (right before AX), all my extra money is going to Kinokuniya.
There are also a few other bookstores in Little Tokyo too, that I like.

chibi_kitsune
04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
i buy my mangas at many different store's.