PDA

View Full Version : Judgement Armor (WoW Paladin)

Kadino
02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
I have recently decided to pay homage to a game that devoured far more hours than it should have - World of Warcraft. After staring at the back of my paladin for hundreds of days worth of live online time (and retiring pre-crusade) I have decided that I should build myself a set of Judgement Armor.

Judgement Concept Art (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/1p9/images/general/ss6.jpg) and Game Implementation (http://www.goblinworkshop.com/gallery/albums/goaq/normal_pally.jpg)

Right now I'm on what I feel is a good schedule for its completion (more than a month until SakuraCon in April). The majority is going to be cloth, with aluminum chain. The (plastic) short swords (http://storeforknowledge.com/images/toy-9206.jpg) were purchased for less than two dollars each. I will likely cover a pair of leather riding gloves with foam for the large gauntlets.

I have debated UV reactive (perscription) contact lenses, and placing a UV LED or glowstick in the mask, but am feeling that it is a bit overboard for such a small effect.

My medium for the armor-parts has been craft foam. I'm unsure of what method of stiffening/painting I want to use on it, and would appreciate advice on that. Most of the thing is ready to have final pieces made. Unfortunately I have been having no end to the trouble with forming the oversized shoulders. I've just about worked out some patterns that are decent, but leave creases that will have to be hidden or otherwise dealt with.

Any advice from people who have created oversized shoulder pieces out of craft foam would be appreciated. I've only seen one other person actually mention working on this piece before, and would enjoy sharing experiences--especially with someone who got the pauldrons to look nice!

Kadino
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
As I haven't worked extensively with craft foam on a large project before, I'd taken a moderate amount of time to make prototypes of the most difficult pieces. This was done in little shreds of free-time, and it is suprising how fast deadlines approach when you're perpetually distracted.

I am finally on my spring break and have time to do serious work on this costume. There will be another update on the next weekend with the final armor pieces, the cloth should be completed on the following weekend. Hopefully my naïve exuberance will last through the week!

Prototype images have been added to the Judgement Armor costume profile (http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=67604&member=66240).

SvK
03-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I know from experience that na´ve exuberance is quite valuable. You can go far on that.

JavaFox
03-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Wow. Just wow. I wish you loads of luck, but in my cynicism, I do believe you should have started a couple months ago for a project this large.

Ok, for some help I highly recommend taking a look at these tutorials (if you haven't already):
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html
http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

I also recommend reinforcing craftfoam armor with a layer of plaster bandages (gauze strips that have plaster on it, just wet and wrap, found in any craft store). You'll need the extra strength when you mount the swords on it.

Don't forget the powers of heavyduty velcro, as well.

...and uh, good luck. o.o;;

Kadino
03-03-2007, 02:17 AM
I've actually been working on this since the end of December, but I haven't had a serious stretch of distraction-free time until this coming week. Everything is planned out, and the majority (if not all) of the foam-crafting should be done by the end of next week. After that I still have four weeks until it needs to be ready.

I was planning on using gauze and glue, but the plaster might be a better solution. The base forms for the shoulders and chest will be made out of 1/4in EVA foam (about triple-thickness craft foam), so that they'd even be sturdier on their own. The problem I'd been having was getting the prototype pieces into the right shape.

I already had access to those two links, and they are extremely good tutorials that should be propagated as much as possible. Thank you though! Hopefully I'll have a chunk of time to rewrite this topic with an actual novice-tutorial of my own at the end of the week.

JavaFox
03-03-2007, 02:23 PM
My mistake then, good to hear you started back then. ^.^

Kadino
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Suprise, suprise, I'm a bit behind schedule. It's taking longer to construct and reinforce the pieces than I'd anticipated. The thicker foam is much harder to cut, if easier to glue the edges on. I expect to have painted pictures up on Sunday.

I've got the final measurements made from posterboard for most all the armor pieces, and I have all of those pieces cut. I'm still on schedule to have all of the armor completed and non-decoratively painted by the weekend, but I don't think I will have time to remake this topic. It is probably best that I wait on that until after I finish the cloth pieces, anyway.

Eternamente926
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I salute you! lol... now I'm in the mood to create a Transcendence set (I've been playing a Priest on WoW since near-release and it's become my main character), but I'm also not crazy =p I look forward to seeing the final creation :D

Kadino
03-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Pah, ended up having two days taken up by random, non-crafty things. I'm quickly reaching the behind schedule mark, but the armor is actually turning out better than I thought it would.

I'll simply wait until I've got serious work on the armor to post any more about it, and then make a more organized topic.

general tso
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I really only have a few cosplays myself, but I am a LARPer and my suggestion is to use latex over the foam, shape the foam to the shape you want then a good layer of latex will hold it together. you can paint ove the laytex with rather inexpensive paints. try not to go to heavy on the latex though, layer it slowly. its actually rather durable.

Daysleepin83
03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I cant wait to see some finshed pics of this project. Also tempts me to start crafting a Five Thunders set for myself.

silversolder
10-21-2012, 09:46 PM
you know anyplpace where i could ppurchase a wow suit? iv looked everyheres