PDA

View Full Version : Darn virus...

Sakura
04-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Is that SARS virus hindering any of your plans to go to Anime North? All I know is that people in Toronto are dying because of it and if it gets any worse then I'm not going >_<;; Does anyone else have this problem?

Mekou
04-08-2003, 07:58 AM
People in hospitals are dying. These people are also older people or were sick already. You should have nothing to worry about, Sakura.

Lafiel
04-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Mekou is totally right. The only reason there is so much 'more' concern to this on is because it is a virus and it could mutate.

7 People have died from the virus in Ontario, and I belive 57 in total.

I was talkin to a pharmacist and he was saying while its a virus and everyone should be careful, SARS is killing more more people then the flu did last year or things long Mono (etc) do every year.
And those people who are getting really sick are the older people with the weak immune systems..

So just drink lots of Orange juice before you come :)
And maybe not go to pacific mall :)

zoinomiko
04-08-2003, 09:42 AM
The youngest person to die was in their 50's, I believe. Besides, it's mostly going down way over in Scarberia, which isn't particularly close to the hotel.

Sion
04-08-2003, 03:28 PM
The other thread on this says that there's not really anything to worry about. I think most people are getting way too paranoid about it, which is making it so much more of a big deal and causing people to hesitate about going to Toronto. I mean, its good that they're trying to keep safe from it, but they're blowing it out of proportion. It's not like if you step into Toronto you get infected with SARS, so I think its pretty safe to go to the con.

Eriku-san

Limeyaku
04-08-2003, 03:40 PM
*nodnod* i agree with everyone else. like any other possible fatal virus, it only seriously affects the very young ( with not fully developed immune systems ), very old ( with weak immunity ) or ppl who are already ill with something with low immunity.

i dont think anyone sick would be going to the convetnion and as long as everyone washes their hands ( which i hope everyone does anyways ^_^;; ) and stuff itll be okie.

i dont think its fair to say " dunt eat chinese food! " or " stay away from chinatown! " etc. i mean...if people WORK there or own stores there, they obviously live here. ~_~ they dont fly in from china everyday. LOL!! how sad though...

anyways, yesyes i think most if not all people whove planned to go are still going. then theres the people like me whos aunt is in doubt but everythings already paid for so...too bad! ^0^ BWUAHAA! just say tht to whoever doesnt want you to go..
" IF I DONT... I JUST LOST 40$ ( + costume prices, + hotel price + food price etc ) "

actually...say " THEN I LOSE $300 T~T *run away crying* "

^_^;;;

Sarcasm-hime
04-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Exactly. Because it's a new disease and the doctors haven't identified it yet the media is blowing it way out of proportion. It's hard to look anywhere without seeing something like "2 MORE DEAD" or whatnot, but you have to take all that with a grain of salt. Old and sick people die of the flu and pneumonia every year, but there's no panic there. They've said many times that you only have to worry about SARS if you've had direct contact with a) somebody who's got it, or b) somebody who's been to the infected areas of Asia. The rest of us should be fine as long as we are careful and wash our hands. ^_^

Anyways, hopefully by AN they'll have identified it and things will be settling down somewhat.

kaiba
04-08-2003, 04:40 PM
We've had a reported case of SARS here where I live. They were shipped to the Toronto Hospital. Rather scary, actually. I'm still going to AN, regardless of SARS. After all, AN is over a month away and they could have it under control by then. ^_^

Sakura
04-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Ah, good that it's nothing to worry about. With my mom saying that there's no way she'd take me if more people die, I got TOTALLY paranoid about 1) not going, or 2) possibly dying o_O Those poor old people...

I just saw on fox news, that so far the reported cases is Japan is a big fat ZERO! weird, since it's close to HK and all.

Ah, well. Thank you for your reassuringness ^_^ I am one very paranoid person sometimes.