PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Car

LiL QoH
08-18-2002, 11:57 PM
yes my first car!:eek: 10-12k and under, over a 1994. suggestions...?

Carmila
08-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Get a Honda. Especially if you can find a nice one that is like an 89-93. I know that is kinda old, but believe me, if you are in an accident you will love it. The thing is solid steel. Or just get any Honda, they will run forever!

Miaka No Baka
08-19-2002, 11:37 AM
u could get a toyota corolla. Those toyotas man one guy managed to roll over the odometer on the original engine. I've seen a 99 corolla for 12k-13k and it only had 15k miles on it not bad at all! Where ever u buy it from get it from a dealer (such as a honda, toyota, ford etc) because they offer more of a warranty and they usually put their cars through a good inspection so chances of you buying a lemon are slim. Toyotas are one of the safest cars out there and they last the longest i think. Just also make sure you are aware of the year and the mileage. Sure a 99 car with the price of 5K is good but if it's got 80K miles something is up. They say typical yearly milage is 15k so figure out how old the car is and multiply that many years by the mileage. Say you find a 99 and it's 3 years old so 3 X 15k = 45k is average mileage for a car that old. So try and get a 99 with under 45k and the chances of it breaking down are slim.

Also avoid buying a riced out car (unless it's from a friend or something) chances are the person riced it out raced it and seriously ruined the car. Not all cars that are riced out are seriously ruined but most of them are. They'll give ya problems.

Miaka no Baka

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I agree with Corolla, those things are one of the best economical cars for from point A to point B car. I can give you a few links for some cars for sale, but since I have no idea where you live just use this Link to buy cars http://www.cars.com/ I'm a car fan and if your looking for a good sports car then go for a NIssan 240sx 1994-1996 edition (S-13 or S-14) you can find them for at least 5G's used. I personally don't like civics or any honda for that matter and I have my reasons why.

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
I also suggest you get manual for gas mileage and its not as hard as people say it is to drive stick. You'll save yourself money and believe it or not but you can control your car better then with auto.

Neko Cathy
08-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Yes! A manuel transmission lover! Hehehe, I'm the only girl in my neighborhood that can drive a stick... and drag it while all the other girls chicken out and freak when they stall the car (and I blame my bf for giving me the bad influences and teaching me how to street drag with his car... a Dodge Neon RT). :D Then I test drove this ACR Dodge Neon a month ago and the salesman at the dealership thought I was crazy to drive it. Surprisingly not of age, but because most women nowadays can't drive stick shifts and freak out when they see one. Automatics are crap and they've started to put it in sports cars... even in mustangs for crying out loud! That really ruins the look of a sports car.

Seriously, manuel transmissions are a lot better. Not just for mileage, but for also car problems. They're easier and cheaper to replace and if your car battery dies you are able to jump the clutch by rolling the car down a hill. With automatics, you're basically screwed and have to have someone get their car, put on the cables... what a mess.

So yea, I agree with NeoDrifter on the stick part. And he's absolutly right about being able to control your car and better.

I have a '94 Dodge Neon, but it's dying and has had a couple of electrical problems in the past. One of my friends has a Toyota Corolla and that car is very reliable.

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 03:04 PM
That is true, I want more and more people to get into driving Stick. I'm starting a street racing team soon after I receive my License. I am an import car fanatic!!

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah one more thing, if your prone to slamming on the brakes then I suggest you get ABS (Antilock Brake System). It prevents your tires from locking up and is a big help in rain or snow. Also get some good tires from GoodYear or Toyo or Yokohama. I suggest one of these brands as the best. When you get your car also I suggest you change the brake pads. There are alot of things to do. Also do your HW before buying a car. I did mine and I know what car I want.

peacecraft
08-19-2002, 03:39 PM
Yes, manual transmissions = good. I talked my fiancee into getting one several years ago even though she couldn't drive it and then taught her to drive standards. Now she preffers manuals as well. You just have so much more control, and you can engine brake, and accelerate out of corners properly, etc.....

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 03:46 PM
your talking about performance driving, accelerate out of corners.......hmm, grip driving or drifting

LiL QoH
08-19-2002, 04:02 PM
okay.. well Im from southern california if that helps.. everyone says to get stick.. XD I just dont want a drive fast die young car...but I do want an eclipse.. lol

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 04:10 PM
NO ECLIPSES, I studied them and anything that says its a safe fast car is a lie. The engine in the Eclipse (V6) is too heavy for FF frame and cannot enable the car to go fast, also it isn;t safe to drive. It has more death rates then almost any other car. Your better off with a 300zx. Nothing wrong with a fast car either, but if ya want a point a point b car then go for a corolla, or a sentra. Toyota, Nissan, and Chevy have the most reliable cars and engines.

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Oh and here are some car companies to stay away from: Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, (if yoru like me then stay away from Honda too), Dodge (Dodge and Mitsubishi are the same company, take a look at the 3000GT and the Dodge stealth, then take a look at the Eagle Talon and the Eclipse), Chrysler, Pontiac, and Saturn. Stay away especially from the Kia and Hyundai, their cars come lemon right from the factory

LiL QoH
08-19-2002, 05:43 PM
so....get a honda?

LiL QoH
08-19-2002, 05:43 PM
err hey what about VWs? I might wanna get a nice passat

NeoDrifter
08-19-2002, 09:06 PM
VW are reliable and will never crap out on you and they are easy to work with. A passat with that new W8 engine and all wheel drive is a life saver on a rainy day or snowy day. I recommend a good safe car for the first car. Any other questions then just ask

Oshi
08-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Pfft. Over '94? I'm chillin with my good ol' 1988 Plymouth Reliant-K. Runs like a dream ^_^
http://68.38.68.8/My%20Pictures/Pauls-Car.jpg

Okita Souji
08-20-2002, 02:45 PM
If you want a reliable car Honda and Toyota are really good. But they incur a lot of damage in an accident. Nissan and Mazda make good sturdy cars. Subaru is a good if you're looking into AWD cars.

On the subject of brakes, IMO replace them with some good carbon metallic or ceramic pads (stock pads are usually made of this material). Most replacement pads that people get are organic and they cannot take heavy braking worth a crap. Modulation sucks as well so it's easier to lock the brakes up in a non-abs car.

On a side note, if you're planning to do any High performance driving eventually, you may want to choose a car that'll suit your needs. FF cars are among the easiest to learn on for HPDE courses. Personally, I own a Honda and i'm pretty happy with it. I intend to auto-x and attend HPDE once I can afford the costs of those events.

Neko Cathy
08-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Don't all cars nowadays have ABS installed and now power traction is being installed in most cars?
:argue:
Crystler and Dodge (same goes with plymonths) aren't that bad, but they do have slight electrical problems. My dad's minivan randomly activates the windshield wipers when you sharply turn left and I think that either the computer is screwed up or there is a short. My car one day went frantic when I was just about to make a doctor appointment and the damn thing kept turning itself on and off. Sentras are POS cars! My bf had one before he got the Neon and once every damn month there was a problem with the alternator, transmission, oil leaking... just do not get one. You're better off with a Corolla if you're going for an import, economic car.

Eclipses... man those suckers are fast! Neo is absoultly right about them being totally unsafe cars because when they accelerate and are going, their braking is so horrible! I sort of dragged this guy just for fun even though I knew I wasn't going to win (my car is a V4 and his is a V6, c'mon now?) and to be honest, I'm not that good at dragging. Well, this tractor truck swerved into his lane suddenly up ahead. The guy must of had pushed his RPMs and right there he totally lost control of the car, spun out and nearly slammed into the truck. My stop distance was shorter because I really wasn't fully pushing my car to the max and my intention was to tease the guy anyway. Luckily there was no accident, no damage and it was late, late at night with not many people on the streets. W/out ABS, I could have slammed right into the eclipses and there would have went my liscence and insurance... or worse... I could have been dead. I haven't dragged in a very, very long time since then and that incident was the most frightening experience I've ever encountered behind a wheel of a car and I was incredibly lucky. So... I've been a lot more safer driver and more responsible, less reckless.

VW's... I hear that they're pretty good and that's all I can say.

Oh yea, if you plan to take your car to a drag strip make sure you got a lot of money to deck your car out or your car won't be worth jack for money prizes. I've seen old 1967 Mustangs and Cameros finish 3/10s of a mile in 9-10 seconds at the 7580 track in Urbana, MD. The funniest drag race I've seen at the track was that a snowmobile outran a modified motorcycle fit for dragging in 7 seconds.

NeoDrifter
08-20-2002, 10:40 PM
Not a fan of performance cars here, I like performance driving. Drag racing involves money put into car, money bet, Torque, Transmission gear ratios, Horse Power, when in performance driving its about who has the most skill when it comes to taking a corner and knowing your limits

engrish
08-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Here's my 2 cents. Hondas are decent cars but they're more expensive to insure. why? Statistically speaking people are more likely to put "aftermarket parts" (racing/ high performance parts) in hondas compared to other cars. Aftermarket parts are very tempting for thieves and it also gives the impression that you're a reckless driver. Add these 2 factors together and it's no wonder why hondas are so expensive to insure even though they may be very cheap cars. My brother in law bought a honda last year and it was half the cost of his previous car, but he's paying more for insurance now!

When choosing a car, obviously you must look at it's price, but don't forget to also check how much it's going to cost to insure b/c the cumulative cost of insurance is a lot more then what most people are aware of.

As for why women in general stay away from stick shifts? I have a theory. A lot of women like to wear heels which are pretty hard on the feet. Maybe the pressure sensors in their feet are de-sensitized and that's why they have so much trouble controling the clutch. Who knows? It's just a theory.

Yes I'm a fan of manual transmissions and crossplay too, but I haven't driven with heels on yet. I'll be sure to add that to my "to do" list but don't expect me to perform "left foot braking" or "heel toe" techniques with heels on b/c it's going to be a very long time before my driving skills reach that level. :razz:

NeoDrifter
08-21-2002, 12:40 AM
lol, well pray that I don't die at my first attempt to drift, I know how to use the heel toe technique just using it on a sports car like my bro's 240sx is gonna be fun

Okita Souji
08-21-2002, 01:52 AM
Lots of performance drivers put a lot of $$ into their cars like drag racers. Parts break, you want to upgrade suspension and brakes, or even power and trans parts. Each time you reach that point where your skills and your car can't take you further you upgrade.

Neodrifter, I dunno where you heard what you did, but performance driving has everything to do with torque and trans components. Tighter gear ratios will help you accelerate out of corners faster. Torque and hp figures also determine corner exit speeds. There's only so far skill can go when it comes to circuit driving.

I personally am not a fan of dragging either. There's no fun in it, plus launching your car kills the tranny. I've seen pics of a guy who pulled the trans out because there was a problem with the gear enagagement, well....he found out there were no teeth on numerous gears including the final drive.

Speaking of Eclipses, only the old turbo ones are fast. Even then the trans on those cars are the weakest link. Too much power makes things break easily.

Neko Cathy
08-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by engrish
As for why women in general stay away from stick shifts? I have a theory. A lot of women like to wear heels which are pretty hard on the feet. Maybe the pressure sensors in their feet are de-sensitized and that's why they have so much trouble controling the clutch. Who knows? It's just a theory.

That's a good imput though that I haven't thought of. Another thing is how most women think- they want to get to point A to point B quicker without doing so much work. Not to mention that most women don't base all of their interests in cars or machines either. When they stall out, they either get aggrivated or frightened and say "Screw it. I'm doing something easy that's always been out there." Heh... I remember that day when I was learning to drive stick with my and and I stalled out right in the middle of a busy intersection. I kept trying to get the car going, thinking I was in 1st gear, but really I was in third gear and I didn't hit the RPMs high enough to go without stalling. It was very humiliated and frightened with people honking at you, especially when two people passed by the other way and screamed the F and C word at you... it was horrible. My dad put the stick into 1st and shook his head at me.

I'm not a few of those women who love cars to be honest, but I'm starting to get there a bit. dragging can be fun, but you got to know your limits and be very careful- I'm not just talking about the cops. My love and interests are still with the arts and recreations. ;)

Hikaruchan
08-22-2002, 02:43 PM
My Grandma still is driving her 80 something Corolla with no problems. Both my mom & I ended up going to Toyotas after seeing how good grandmas is and how our Fords & Buicks were crap/didn't last. I would issue a general stay away from Fords, family has had just too much trouble with them. Buicks are okay if you baby them.

NeoDrifter
08-22-2002, 07:00 PM
You wouldn't need to supe up your car to race, my brother's Nissan 240sx is still factory and it corners faster then most cars I see. I also want to see what my Trueno is capable of after we restore it and acceling out of a corner needs a certain amount of torque and some cars have just the right amount of it

Okita Souji
08-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Corner's faster than most cars you see? Does a stock WRX fall under that category?

Yeah, I know you don't need to mod the car to race or have fun, but when you start getting to the point where there car is hindering the progression of skill (for those who do want to go beyond in racing) then it's a step you gotta take, tires, brakes, suspension, etc. If you make racing your hobby with the Trueno you'll eventually see what I mean after you've been running for a while. You're lucky to have that car btw.

Unfortunately, contrary to what some believe after seeing a few eps of Intitial D, things in real life rarely work in that way. Especially when using drift driving over grip on most courses and or mtn passes.

Btw, On a side note, have you seen the video footage from Best Motoring out there of a stock Japanese Integra Type R vs. a Slivia S14K turbo in the 400m (1/4 mile) race. The Type R overtakes the S14 it once it gets into 2rd gear.

NeoDrifter
08-23-2002, 01:05 AM
I know I'm lucky to have the Trueno, although we need to restore it. Also I dug some info up and a Type R Integra cannot take on a Silvia S14k's. the video was made by honda and the driver was paid to slow down. Also the stuff in Initial D is actually possible if your one of the best drivers, I've seen an actual Trueno drift and it can enter a corner at 110mph and exit the corner near the same speed. Also drift determines weight distribution, braking, clutching and gassing, also steering and when to do the sequences. Its not the car, its the driver. I have a video clip of a FD vs. a R34 and beat it.

engrish
08-23-2002, 01:13 AM
quote:
"Unfortunately, contrary to what some believe after seeing a few eps of Intitial D, things in real life rarely work in that way."

*nods head in agreement*

motorsports is a marriage of skill and performance. You can have all the skills in the world but if you're driving a lawn mower there's only so much you can do. I also like to add that a 150 HP Toyota Trueno can not beat a 400 HP AWD Lan Evo....it doesn't matter how skilled the Toyota driver is it's just not realistic.......it's a cartoon! And yes it's true drifting is not always the fastest way through a corner.

Getting back to why women don't drive stick shifts:
When driving with heels on it's very important to keep your feet pointed. If you try to drive as if you're wearing regular shoes(with your feet flexed) you might get the bottom of your heel positioned under the pedal, which makes it impossible to press. This can be quite hazardous if you're trying to step on the brakes. People have actually got into car accidents b/c of this. In Japan there's even a law against driving with heels on if your heels are a "certain length".

now that we have gone completely off topic.....

Okita Souji
08-24-2002, 04:06 AM
Neodrifter, you can't prove jack shit of what you said. Paid to slow down my ass. Have you ever looked into the specs of both cars? I swear, with the stuff you're saying it's like you never dived into motorsports and REALLY researched your stuff before you say something here. 110mph drift? On what kinda mountain or track is that? I think you mean 110 km/h drift. If drifiting was all hot with the racers, you'd think they'd be doing it in pro races as well. Drift is all show, a sport, an art, but far from a true way of racing. Btw, that video i'm talking about was not made by Honda, it was done by some of the top racers in Japan to test out various cars, and the ITR and S14 were paired together.

Type R has 210ps
S14K has 215ps

Did you do you research and find that both had almost the same peak ps/hp level?

I'll tell you why the Type R can eat the S14K. The Type R has shorter gearing (i'm talking damn short, like you're near 5,000rpm at 80mph cruising in 5th gear), thats why it can overtake the Silvia in 3rd gear (I rechecked the vid and it's 3rd not 2nd, my mistake). The Silvia only had the advantage at the start due to .2 more liters of displacement and the fact it's RWD and has more torque. Turbo and the 5ps difference do not matter much. The Type R also weighs less than the Silvia. The only way you'd see the Silvia shine stock vs. stock is if you took off the 180 km/h speed limiter they have in Japan on both cars. The Silvia would have a higher top speed due to the longer gearing.

There are other ways to make a stock car fast than slapping on a turbo or making it RWD or AWD.

Btw, just to show how accurate Initial D is....the drifters and street racers out in Japan basically look at it as a Japanese version of "The Fast and Furious"

L to the 3rd
08-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Don't get an Eclipse for saftey reasons. SAFETY FIRST!
If you are hit directly from the side..(side impact)
You'll like.. die... most likely, or get seriously injured!
I was watching a video in Management class
about car crash testing. o_o;

NeoDrifter
08-24-2002, 05:20 PM
I've looked into the specs and also debated with my friend whos a fanatic on cars and we both agree that an S-14k's cannot be beaten by an Integra Type R. Also I want people to look at this video clip I have seen. The name of it was AE86 SuperDrift. And depending on the course a lower powered car can actually over take a higher power car.

NeoDrifter
08-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Also the Trueno's engine was upgraded to the 4AGZE giving it quite the extra power considering it was tuned for street racing, also the transmission was a racing transmission (not the 6 speed version)

NeoDrifter
08-24-2002, 05:31 PM
I also have a video clip that has a rather long name of a 245hp FD Type RS beating GTR's (R33, R34), NSX's(S-Zero, Type-S), and LANEVO's (5 GSR, 5 RS). By all standards these cars should have outclassed and beaten the FD. By performance, power, and handling, these cars should have beaten it.

Okita Souji
08-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Here are the driver's that did the review. Look under "reviewers"
http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/

Also, the S14K can be beaten. The stock S14 isn't as good as you think it is. I didn't believe it either till I saw the video. The 2 cars specs are very close. C'mon what reason is there that the ITR can't win over the S14K?

It's like how a stock Lancer Evo 7 destroyed a R34 GTR, Impreza STi, and BMW M3 on the track. All cars stock.

Oh, i've seen the AE86 superdrift video. That car is not doing 110mph.

NeoDrifter
08-24-2002, 08:18 PM
I never said that that Trueno was doing 110, did I? Well in my theory its the driver, not the car. Everyone has their own theories about racing. I want to prove my theory when I get the Trueno I have up and running, I am gonna race the LANEVO 7 after it gets here. I'll say what I said to my friend "Just watch me!"

Okita Souji
08-25-2002, 02:31 AM
Well, you did say this from a pevious post on the second page. "I've seen an actual Trueno drift and it can enter a corner at 110mph and exit the corner near the same speed." Just going off what you said there.

Btw, the vid with the FD beating all those cars, were they all tuned or stock? I know the RS version of the FD is a menace on the track. I forget if it has the 20B engine or the 13B in it though. The NSX is a joke though, that car gets beaten a lot in the vids I see.

I really wonder how the Lan Evo is gonna do here. It doesn't seem like they're gonna mess with it too much and take away a lot of the goodies that are on the Japanese and Euro models. Although they may take out the adjustable center differential thats on the U.S. models.

To add to my other posts. The Type R I was refering to is the Japanese version. It's totally different than the ones we get here. It has more power and different gearing and some suspension differences. The S14K would destroy the ones we get here.

Btw, I notice you live in Maryland. Are there any good places to drive out there?

NeoDrifter
08-25-2002, 12:27 PM
From what I know I think all FD's came with the 13B. I know of only a few places to drive here. My friends keep refering to this Kensington Mountain Pass, although they say I'm not ready to go there (well, I am 15). I took a look at that clip and your right that Integra looks different from the one here. I personally don't like 4x4 cars too much because of how easy it is to drive them and I know that they are very good on rally such as the WRX but I still don't like them too much. I'd rather have the skyline GTS then the GTR. I'm currently developing a team and I need to find a good place to race at with no cops, I'll look around and see if there are any

Okita Souji
08-25-2002, 09:09 PM
There's a model of the RX-7 in Japan that was sold with a 20B 3 rotor. I believe it was a limited run model only though. I wish they had that model here as well though. Thats cool you're building a team out there though. A few people I know were trying to get me to join a team in CA but after hearing of at least 3 crashes I refused. I usually stay solo out here and the runs I do are usually with 1 other person or a max of 4 cars. The ITR in Japan has a different front end which sets it apart from the ones sold here and the rest of the world. Looks better IMO. The engine has higher compression, a different ECU, header, and exhaust along with a larger rear stabilizer bar. A lot of this stuff was changed to meet the U.S. emissions, like how we got cheated from getting SR20DETs in out 240s here a 4-wheel steering the Silvias get in Japan. Personally, I'm more for 4WD or AWD cars since they are more fun to tune (ex. you can change front, center and rear differentials to get different combos of handling) and can be fun if you drift them, but RWD and FWD cars also have their perks.

NeoDrifter
08-25-2002, 09:52 PM
That's true, I just got a call about a 240sx I can buy for about 1200 and if I get it then I was thinking about doing alot of things to it. I was thinking about getting an FC and dropping the 20b into it. Also I plan to make my own car one day, here's what I'd put in it: 4rotar engine (4 rotar engine=V12or V16 with turbo) (I'd call it the 35b), option of 4x4 or RWD, LSD, ABS, T-Top, Twin or Quad Turbo, sleek design with all the good stuff that made the Supra;FD;91 Celica; Silvia; GTR and any other good car soo great, lightweight (lightweight and not as heavy as a R32 is), may make it MR frame if not then FR. I want to see if I can make this car the ultimate racing machine. Hopefully I can get help from Nissan, Toyota, and MAzda. It can be the pinnacle of racing technology, and the flagship car of the import business I want to open

NeoDrifter
08-25-2002, 10:02 PM
oh and teh car's name would be the RPSFD-103S or something like that. Me and my friend refer to it as RX-10 for short

NeoDrifter
08-26-2002, 01:07 AM
Hey Okita Souji! I need some advice, should I turbo charge my 2.4 liter KA24DE engine or drop a SR20DET into it?

Okita Souji
08-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Hmm, depends on if you can or want to go through the headache of sneaking by emissions with the SR20DET. I know in CA it's impossible unless you have hook ups. Other states it's different, I dunno how it is out in MD.

As far as power goes a KA24DE turbo would be possible, but the SR20DET would be able to handle more boost since it was designed to be a turbo engine from the start, the block is physically stronger and the rod ratio is more suited for turbo. Also, the internals are stronger out of the factory. So, it basically comes down to reliability and the tuning style you go with. If you want to run moderate/low levels of boost, stick with the KA. If you want to go nuts with the enigne mods, go with the SR.

NeoDrifter
08-26-2002, 03:22 PM
hmm...I can get the SR20DET from the G20 since it was modified to meet emissions, but I saw what a turbo charged KA24DE can do and it tore apart an FD and 300zx

Okita Souji
08-26-2002, 08:28 PM
The G20 in the US didn't come with a SR20DET. It came with a SR20DE. All the SR20's that were put in FWD cars like the G20 and the older Sentra SE-R will not fit in 240s since the mounts and electronics locations are totally different from the RWD version.

I'm not saying the KA24DE turbo setup won't tear it up, but there's a reliability issue at stake since the KA24 was not made to be a turbo engine. Unless you build up the block which will cost $$$ (stronger pistons, rods, etc) it won't be as reliable as a SR20DET if you were to boost enough to beat modded FDs and 300Zs which have engines made for turbo already. If you run on an engine that hasn't been prepped for high power turbo apps, it'll give in a lot sooner.

NeoDrifter
08-26-2002, 09:57 PM
hmm.....two choices and both are expensive though. Well I'll have to think it over. SR20DET is lighter and if tuned right can give alot of power, however the KA24DET if modded can be powerful too. I'll have to research and see which one is cheaper, Thanks for your input! and now for sleep, for I start school tomorrow......*sigh*

Okita Souji
08-26-2002, 11:18 PM
No prob. If you really don't have plans of going all out on the 240, just having something fun to drive, then stick with the stock engine. A good turbo kit can be cheaper than a whole swap. Good luck in whichever route you choose though.

NeoDrifter
08-27-2002, 02:18 PM
QQQQIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! The 240sx I was gonna buy has frame damage, and I don't have enough to get it fixed and its not worth buying. Amount of damage: front passenger side moved down by 4 inches. I could bang it out, but the guy who wants to sell it to me wants to sell it for more then its worth currently

Okita Souji
08-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Ouch...I'd never buy a car with any type of frame damage. It'll never drive the same again and I wouldn't want that to compromise stability or body integrity on the track.

engrish
08-27-2002, 04:36 PM
yikes frame damage! I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole either. My sister crashed into a freeway exit sign years ago and although the body shop "fixed it up" it was never the same again. The alignment was whacked and the insides of the tires were getting bald like crazy. I cut my fingers once replacing the tires because I couldn't see the steel wires sticking out on the side walls of the inside of the tires. :(
That car squealed more then a pig everytime I drove it and it was just time to put the poor thing out of it's misery by sending it out to pasture. On a happy note that car has long been put into retirement. :D

btw.. Okita Souji and NeoDrifter have you guys taken auto class? cause you seem to know a thing or 2 about cars. I'm taking it right now and it's kinda neat too see ALL the different types of people in it.

Okita Souji
08-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Damn...thats pretty severe.

Yeah I've taken auto class before. The lecture class. I usually learn on my own by working on my car and talking to other people who wrench on their cars on other message boards. I've haven't done any heavy engine work, but I can pretty much do anything suspension and brake related. I'm taking the electrinics course this semester, so that should be pretty interesting. Engrish, are you taking the lab course?

NeoDrifter
08-27-2002, 06:31 PM
I haven't I've just recently learned of cars. I got interested from Initial D, and then I started to research my cars. I'm taking an automotive body class next year, and then a automotive shop after that.....I have to look for my car now, my future car *sits on porch staring into space.

NeoDrifter
08-27-2002, 06:40 PM
I found an FC, but rotary engine repair is hard. I can try to finance an FD though or a 1990 300zx. If not, then I can just find an S-13 or S-14 and do an SR swap, or I can get an FC. I can also try to get another GTS Twin CAM.

NeoDrifter
08-27-2002, 06:42 PM
soo many choices...what to go for, for a beginning car.....any suggestions?

Okita Souji
08-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Rotary engine repair is EASY! Those engines are small as hell and so easy to take apart and put back together. There's only 3 internal moving parts along with the 2 rotors housings and center housing (I forget what it's called). If you build them right with strong apex seals then you'll have nothing to worry about internally.

I say keep working on your GTS. Having 2 cars to work on is gonna be hell., thats why I'm gonna stick with my civic till i've added the engine and adjustable stroke suspension.

NeoDrifter
08-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Well, the GTS has to go to a friend since he had to sell his 240 and I won't be getting it for another year or two and I might be moving soon so I need to find a car. And for Rotary engines, I was told by alot of people the engine sucks, but I don't believe so. They produce an amazing amount of power, and have fewer moving parts and hopefully when the RX-8 comes out, more mechanics will know how to work on Rotary engines. I already know all the defects with the engine and how to fix them easy, however insurance is gonna be hard...especially for a first time driver.....

Okita Souji
08-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Rotaries are high maintenance, but there's a few people I know that run them well built with minimal problems. You just need to keep them well fed with oil and cool them right. Unfortunately, yeah not many places know how to work on those engines.

pookie-kun
08-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Er... what's wrong with a Ford Focus? My mom's got one, one of the best cars I've ever ridden in. Very comfortable, mom says it's fun to drive, and it was cheap. It's an economy car that has the features of better cars (lots of cup holders, change holder thing in the dash, etc).. it's the best rated car out there too.

Okita Souji
08-29-2002, 04:06 AM
IMO nothing wrong with it. It's not a bad car, but everyone looks at differnet cars to suit their needs. I.e. people who track their cars or people who just want something good to commute in. Personally, I think the Focus was Ford's attempt to get into the Sport Compact market since Honda, Toyota, and VW were making a killing there.

Best rated cars are really subjective, thats why I don't recommend anyone to follow any ads claiming a car to be "best".

peacecraft
08-29-2002, 10:24 AM
I drive a Ford Focus myself right now. Why? The price was right. Is it a bad car? Not at all, its a great car for the price. Is it a car I would choose if I had any money. No way. It does what I need it to do. It gets from place to place. Its light, its got a pretty good turning radius, and gets good gas mileage and is roomy inside, but damn I miss my XR4Ti...

Honestly the next car I get should be an awd, prefferably with a variable center. I like the WRX from Subaru. If I get a cheap "project" car, it will be another XR4Ti. It was just way to much fun to drive, and I could pick up a used one for well under $1000. No project cars for me right now though, I don't even have a spot in my garage for the car I already have, and since it still runs flawlessly, I won't be replacing it any time soon.

I'm thinking of chipping it to make it run a bit faster. I'm told it adds about 20hp, but I know nothing about car mechanics. Is it safe to do, or do I risk my engine's health in some way? (stupid 110hp single overhead cam engine with no frikkin' power...)

engrish
08-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Yah my auto class is part lecture and lab, but it's only been a week so things haven't really gotten interesting yet.

I'm curious how long this "Sport Compact" craze is going to last. My teacher said "back in his days" some guys would put hydraulics/(or something) on the back of their cars to keep it high. I guess that was the "groovey" thing to do back then. LOL Now the fad is to keep your car low. During the 80's with the "low rider" craze, trucks were lowered to ridiculous levels. Now they're being rasied to ridiculous levels by those "off road" fans. Before the oil crises during the 70's people drove big cars. After the crises, the cars got smaller, but that all changed when the SUV craze came.

So what's the next fad? Honda civics with off road tires? :crylaugh: Who knows? People have done stranger things to their cars before.

Okita Souji
08-29-2002, 01:05 PM
I wonder myself. Since more AWD rally cars are coming out here to the U.S. I wonder how that'll impact the scene since there are a few rally places/schools in the U.S. . I remember out here in CA a couple years back when I first started getting into cars everyone was in with drag racing and shows and the cars reflected that. Now since some of the population has somewhat matured and or shifted tastes, there are some that go to auto-x and road racing (both track and off track in mountains, canyons etc.) and the cars that I see going to these types of events are pretty much stock looking. No body kits or weird modifications or huge ass rims either. Of course, there's the whole JDM fad out there where a lot of newbies think that anything Japanese is automatically better for a car.

Peacecraft, I thought the Focus had about 140hp?

NeoDrifter
08-29-2002, 02:01 PM
I have an ultimate project car! a 1977 toyota celica and drop is a chevy 3ltr V6 engine. All I need to do is work out all the small details such as what transmission to use, and stuff like that. I found a few 77 celicas but which to choose...

NeoDrifter
08-29-2002, 02:02 PM
That'll show them damn kids at school saying the old cars are crap!

peacecraft
08-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Okita Souji: I believe the ZTS is around 130hp, but I drive an SE, which according to what I've read is only 110, which belive me, is a sad step down having been driving an XR4Ti before that. Plus, I went from rear wheel to front wheel drive, and the focus is a lighter car as well, though not by that much I suppose.

Problem is, I don't make a lot of money, and I wanted something that was new so I wouldn't have to think about getting it fixed for a few years, so I got a Focus. Its been a really good car, honestly, I just miss having a good engine and the responsive controls my old car had. They haven't sold XR4Tis in this country since 1989 though, so by the time I need a new car again, I'll need something a bit newer than that. I'd only buy another one of those as a 2nd project car. I'm just pissed I don't have the old one anymore.

Do you know whether or not it would be safe for my engine to chip my car and get at least a bit more oomph out of it? Its the only thing I can do to it that wouldn't require me to be cutting pipes or messing with the engine. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to auto repair. I was spoiled because my parents had a mechanic.

Okita Souji
08-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Chipping is ok, but make sure you get a stand alone ECU or get a spare ECU they can mess with. I highly doubt you will pass emissions with a chipped car, so you should be able to put back the stock computer when it comes time for smog testing. You might consider adding in a K&N drop in filter for some good throttle response though.

Neodrifter, I just wonder why you want to start projects like that. Not to say it's bad, but i'm curious.

engrish
08-30-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm kinda new to all of this. what is chipping?

Okita Souji
08-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Chipping is basically changing or replacing the stock program in the ECU or ECM, the computer in the car that controls the engine management. Basically, the fuel maps are changed to provide more fuel at different RPM for more power and sometimes raise the rev limiter.

One thing I forgot to add, if you are thinking about changing the chip, make sure it's a mild and safe program. You do not want too rich or too lean of an air/fuel mix to occur at any point in the RPM range. Also, you don't need the raised rev limiter function.

NeoDrifter
08-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Ok, well I plan to adapt the new engine into the frame of the car, then I plan to add on the transmission and do all the basic stuff but improvise along the way. It'll be a great project car. Also I plan to get a FC or S-13 and try to compete in circuit racing and see if I can make money off it. I found a circuit race course (well my friend tell me its in) upper northern Maryland. I hope I can compete, but can't race till I'm 18...........as in the great words of Vash: "Just no skill"............lol

Okita Souji
08-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Well, the plan you have for circuit racing is gonna be kinda hard but if you're willing to put forth the effort, it's doable. You're gonna need a racing license in which you gotta go through school and stuff for. You also gotta have a car thats going to be able to conform to all the rules of the category you want to race in. Pro racing where you actually win prizes or money is not an easy thing to take on, unless you want to gather some people and see who can make the best times on a track and palce money on the best time. However, one thing to note about road racing events that are not pro (i.e. you don't need any license and can run any car) is that there is NO passing in the corners. You can only pass on straights. This is done for safety as most cars that run on open track days are pretty much stock to mildly modified, not raced out with a roll cage etc.

NeoDrifter
08-31-2002, 11:48 PM
hmm, this is gonna need alot of planning and thought