PDA

View Full Version : Make-up tips for crossplay.

resilient
04-11-2003, 09:05 AM
I need some badly. You see, I look more girly than my character is and I'm not sure what I can do to improve my situation. Are there any make-up tips that could help make me look more guyish? I've heard make-up helps, but what exactly, I wasn't eaves dropping hard enough to hear. ^_~

Menchi
04-11-2003, 12:34 PM
maybe is just me....but i woudl think make up that wouldnt look like your wearing make up. maybe i am not totally right i think is more things like posture an acting like a guy tahn anything else. granted i could be wrong bein i have to do the opposite when i go as female characters *shrugs*

Koumori
04-11-2003, 01:25 PM
I usually just go with my standard "no-makeup" face (which actually requires just as much makeup as a j-rock face in the end). Smooth out the color of your skin, play down pink cheeks and lips. If you're very experienced with makeup, you can try using highlights and shading to broaden your face a bit, but this is difficult to do. Posture makes an enormous difference; keep your shoulders back and try to keep your weight evenly distributed when you stand and walk.

Karisu-sama
04-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Posture is a top consideration.

As for makeup, as Koumori indicates, you want it to look like "no makeup". Playing down the lips is pretty important to the look - I use both foundation and a very neutral lip color. you might want to experiment with highlight and shading to get a more "angular" look to the face - play up the cheekbones but make the actual cheeks look more planed, etc.

It helps to have your natural eyebrows, not a tweezed thin fashion-girl high-curve. Male eyebrows are fairly straight across. Natural eyebrows won't look out of place on a girl, but tweezed-curve eyebrows will look unusual on a boy.

Kas
04-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey I'm glad someone posted about this cause I was wondering on how to do makeup to look more boyish too.. ^.^ thankies

Oooh btw Karisu-sama.. thanks for the link for the wig that I asked about.. I have a great wig that will do perfectly.. Plus it looks sooo natural too.. *hugs* thanks!! And.. it didn't cost that much either.. I think I will start getting my wigs there more often.

resilient
04-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Posture is a top consideration.

As for makeup, as Koumori indicates, you want it to look like "no makeup". Playing down the lips is pretty important to the look - I use both foundation and a very neutral lip color. you might want to experiment with highlight and shading to get a more "angular" look to the face - play up the cheekbones but make the actual cheeks look more planed, etc.

It helps to have your natural eyebrows, not a tweezed thin fashion-girl high-curve. Male eyebrows are fairly straight across. Natural eyebrows won't look out of place on a girl, but tweezed-curve eyebrows will look unusual on a boy.
I'll work on the posture, slouchy-ness must die got it!
You said you use both foudation and a very neutral lip color- both for your lips alone?
I'll experiment no problem, where or what kind of make-up do you suggest? (And darn my hideously round face!)
I wish I could find some examples of what you're talking about. And man, I'm glad I don't pluck. (I look fine without doing that thank you.) Thank you guys for the advice, but I'm still needing some help on what to do about my eyes though. Any shadow or anything?

Karisu-sama
04-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by resilient
You said you use both foudation and a very neutral lip color- both for your lips alone?
Yes! ^^ Same foundation I use on the face.
I'll experiment no problem, where or what kind of make-up do you suggest? (And darn my hideously round face!)
I wish I could find some examples of what you're talking about. And man, I'm glad I don't pluck. (I look fine without doing that thank you.) Thank you guys for the advice, but I'm still needing some help on what to do about my eyes though. Any shadow or anything?
Makeup - it's whatever you prefer, as long as it matches your normal skin tones (so you don't have a face that doesn't go with any un-made-up skin that is showing.) I also use makup on my neck and sometimes down to the chest (if it shows) for a clean blend.

i don't use eyeshadow for guys normally, but Dilandau wears eyeliner for that "Esca eyes" look. (I'm wearing eyeliner in that gallery crossplay pic!) I don't use liquid liner (too hard edged), I use a pencil and smudge the edge a bit.

Round face - age may eventually take care of that ;_; - I'm way past the "baby fat" phase...

Miroku
04-12-2003, 01:01 AM
I wonder if you could darken your eyebrows, or thicken them up? Would that look more guyish?

Karisu-sama
04-12-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Miroku
I wonder if you could darken your eyebrows, or thicken them up? Would that look more guyish?
Likely, yes, if yours are thin.

Koumori
04-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama

Round face - age may eventually take care of that ;_; - I'm way past the "baby fat" phase...

Unfortunately, for some of us, it's just genetics. Which is why I look so flipping awful dressed like a guy. But my makeup is great!

Merle-kun
04-17-2003, 03:15 AM
I kinda just skipped to the end so I didn't forget what I was going to say, so if someone else said it.. forgive me! But, what about making a false beard shadow? Perhaps, take a stiff bristled brush and tap the bristles gently into make up close to the hair color, and kind of stipple in the shadow. For non-artists.. stippling is basically just a bunch of dots ^^; If it gets too dark, there's always putting powder foundation over it, or dabbit it lightly with a kleenex, ne?

I just kind of made this up... so I'm not sure just how feasable it really is, but it sounded good in my head =3

resilient
04-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Sounds like something an artist would say. . .

megumibish
04-20-2003, 03:29 AM
hmm, about making more manish eyebrows you could always get some loose hair (a very small amount), cut the hair to about 3mm length and use either spirit gum(makeup glue) or eyelash adheasive (the one for single eyelash pieces) to attach the hairs. given doing it this method requires time, tweezers and a good idea of how your brow hair grows.
random question...has anyone here ever watched hedwig and the angry inch. miriam shor did a great male drag using the technique i've mentioned above. but she had the whole scraggly short beard thingie. lol

BayushiKachiko
04-20-2003, 12:06 PM
You might want to take a look at some books by MakeUp Artist Kevin Aucioun (I probably misspelled the last name, but it's close enough.) Anyways, the book you might want too look at is called Face Forward. In the book, he has all kinds of celebrities done up as other celebs, with AMAZING results. There's a pic of Gwenyth Paltrow as James Dean, and one of her as Clark Gable. The book gives some really great techniques for darkening the eyes and brows, and also adding dimension to the face. I'm going to use some of the techniques myself for my Richter Belmont--Heavens know I'm no where near masculine.

And like everyone says, posture makes a HUGE difference. I find that if a girl keeps her head up and almost back a little bit, kind of looking down her nose almost arrogantly, seems to convey a more masculine air. And smirking. ALWAYS smirk, LoL. Never smile.

Hope that helps you out some. . ^_^

resilient
04-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a good book, thankies!

L to the 3rd
04-20-2003, 02:43 PM
i use dark brown eyeshadow and
a little bit of foundation to cover
the redness of my lips. I had a panel
about make-up for crossplay (as males) at ani-magic last year ^_^

megumibish
04-20-2003, 03:49 PM
wow! i actually have the face forward book. i caught it on a super biggie clearance sale for only 3.99 *_* it's like 40.00 regular price. it's great for makeup reference. it's my makeup bible to say the least. *smirks*

yasafusa
05-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Could anyone give some tips on what makeup is better for cosplay... Oh and how to use it to obtain a more female look!
Ooh Karisu-sama! I noticed you do very nice anime-style eye make-up....

Here's a couple reference pics

http://members.aol.com/minimay/rally9.htm

http://members.aol.com/minimay/rally14.htm

megumibish
05-12-2003, 01:38 AM
I say definitely do something about the eyebrows such as covering them over and drawing eyebrows that resemble rallys. I read on crossdresser pages that you could just use hair spray to shape them more feminine like it you don't want to bother with brow wax/soap bars. That and opt for eyeliner. It always gives a feminine look to eyes be it liquid or pencil (Wing the ends a bit for a cateye look) despite the fact rally doesn't wear makeup. would know since I've got quite a few gunsmith cats comics piled around. Lips too would help. A pinkish gloss that would eccentuate your lips and a little blush would help too, and if you have thin lips you should reshape them with lip pencil then gloss over it. I don't think you would have to do much but use a lil foundation to give your face a nice look. Oh and false eyelashes are the greatest too. Just get some in black that are very regular looking. You want to have a natural look. Despite all the work you need to get the look...^_^;;;

Menchi
05-12-2003, 02:04 AM
oooh rally what con is that for? it looks like fun i think. its fun if ya can work with what ya got as is, usually what i have done is usually foundation powder, a lil rouge, lip gloss, eye shadow, mascara an will be more stuff for acen ^^ 4 days yikes XD but shoudl be fun ^_~

Karisu-sama
05-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Kevin Aucoin's books are cool. I like that fact that Making Faces is full of "ordinary people" - but Face Forward definitely shows that the "stars" are no more beautiful than ANY average person (despite his playing up to them - well, ya can't blame him, they make his living!) They just have good makeup people working on them all the time - you'll notice they NEVER show the "before" pics of celebrities!
Originally posted by BayushiKachiko
And smirking. ALWAYS smirk, LoL. Never smile.
LOL - My husband says I smirk too much, heh. ^^

The kinda generic "anime-style" eye makeup I do is pretty much a variation on what I normally do on those few occasions when I actually wear makeup. I can try to describe it...

For cosplaying girls: a little hint of eyeshadow, in my case often a darkish blue, because it goes with the shadows on my skin tone, and I have blue eyes (unless I'm wearing colored contacts. :p )

For crossplaying guys: no eyeshadow; I have a natural "brown eyeshadow" look anyway.

Eyelashes: Mine are black & long and reasonably thick (at least the uppers), so I don't use mascara. Ever. But others may want to. Just don't overdo lower lashes - they should not be as thick as uppers, for a natural look. I find eyeliner on the lower lid quite enough to back 'em up.

Eyeliner: black pencil, generally on the outer 2/3 (or so - depends on character) of both the lower and upper eyelid, slightly smudged under the eyes, with a sometimes bit of an upturned corner wing continuing on the outer edge of the eye. End of each pencil stroke should fade out to a point, not end abruptly. If the character "doesnt wear makeup", use a discreet touch - it should look pretty anime-natural.

I don't find that using eyeliner for crossplay is much of a problem. ^^ Anyway, Dilandau DEFINITELY needs the eyeliner look!

yasafusa
05-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone! You saved me quite a few trial and ERRORS hehe!

resilient
05-12-2003, 06:57 PM
How do you keep smirking? The characters I want to go as always smirk. They never smile, not once. I can't help, but smile. And when I go to my first con I'll be the grinch incarnate! -^^-

Karisu-sama
05-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Smirk: typically a close-mouthed smile with one side of the mouth pulled up slightly tighter. If you MUST open your mouth and show your teeth (you can smirk this way too! ^^), just don't open it very far and keep your teeth together.

Here's a smirk from my infamous photoshoot:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/cosplay/crossplay/IMG007DLsmirk.jpg

yasafusa
05-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Now that's a cool smirk pic! hehe

Oh, I did some eyeliner tryouts and YEAOWCH! My eye's going to be sore for a little bit : P

I give all you ladies a big thumbs up for being able to do the make up thing! You all deserve much more credit than I think is given!!!! I darn near lost an eye! lol

Is there like a stroke style or motion I'm missing?
Please excuse my ignorance, I've been a male all my life!

resilient
05-12-2003, 11:18 PM
It's gonna take some practice as with most things for me. Thank you, you've been so helpful. ;_;

Karisu-sama
05-13-2003, 02:06 AM
Eyeliner: Get a nice soft pencil that draws VERY easily, not too hard a pencil. I bought 5 diff kinds to test, and only 2 were really good. You want some point, but don't shave it to a completely sharp point (ow). A rounded point (from using it!) is better. You should not have to press hard to get a good line off a decent eyeliner pencil.

Be careful. You will be trying to draw as close to the eyelashes as you can. (This is on the lid side, NOT the eye side of the eyelashes!! - In case it wasn't obvious.)

Angle it so that you are drawing the line toward the direction the pencil "handle" is pointing. Draw from the innermost end of the line to the outer edge of the eye. (This will be a bit harder when you are doing the eye that is not on the same side of your face as the hand.) I often brace my little finger against my cheek so I can draw a nice steady line. Draw slow, and you can go over any wavy / uneven areas afterward. You can also use a careful fingertip to smudge "bumps" out.

It's a precision art. Practice. ^^

Moogle Hiromi
05-14-2003, 09:15 PM
I have a picture of Japanese cosplayer dressed as a character from Prince of Tennis. Anyways, she has done a good job in her make-up and hair, she looks quite masculine. I have attached the pic. Don't know how she did it though.

I guess I am kind of lucky with my blond hair that You can't really see my eyebrows. I only pluck a little. So if I want to look more masculine. I just go over the whole brow in a similar colour to my character's hair. I always practise before I do. But I always seem to run late and i look horrible when I go to the con or whatever. Must make more time! ^^ So cheers sunshines~! :drink:

But do we have any tips for a round faced girl to look really feminine? I can't seem to cosplay as either guys OR girls and look good. [and I know I need to lose some weight.... :hafha: ]

Mao Miyao

Moogle Hiromi
05-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Sorry about the double post, but I can't seem to edit. I didn't read the second page until now.

When you use pencil liner, rub it in your hands, lik you do when you try to stir the ink in a ballpoint pen.

You can use hair gel or clear mascara to neaten up eyebrows. There are also special eyebrows mascaras you can buy, in most colours.

Oh, and I the facial hair look you mean to call a five-o'clock-shadow. A pretty good product to use would be bronzer beads, if you are fair skinned, you use a blush brush and brush it along your jaw line from under your ear to under your chin. Then try that other speckle thingie after. funny how this comes back to me second post.

Also trying to create sideburns, with an eyebrow pencil would be good if that part is seen.

I think that is it now!
Unfortunately I haven't got any pics of me in this kinda of make up, since I always seem to run late for cons.

anime~rush221
07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
ok well since my eyes will be covered in this cosplay that knocks out half my question but im kinda realy tan and i have a years wait till my con and i want to be paleish 4 my person so iv stop comeing in contact with sun will that work or will i just have 2 cover my self in pale foundation? (this will be my first cosplay plz help!! im the kinda person who hates not going all the way and wants 2 cosplay as close as i can to belphegor from hitman reborn.) (im a girl)