PDA

View Full Version : "Gothic & Lolita Bible"

HazelAsher
08-19-2002, 03:27 PM
I was wondering if any of you had checked out this magazine yet. For those of you who don't know what it is, it was mentioned in the newly made Newgrave magazine (another magazine I recommend for all you J-rockers...last issue, they had an America interview with Dir en Grey, this months featured band was The Piass. It also contains anime reviews, gothic make-up/hair help, and it even had a special on Harajuku, Tokyo, where all the visual Kei cosplayers strut their stuff). The "Gothic & Lolita Bible" is basically a treck into the lives of all the cosplayers around Japan who love doing J-rock..erm..cosplay. Anywho, I haven't really had time to pick up a copy of the other magazine, and was wondering if anyone else did?

*swoons over the poster of Dir en Grey in her magazine*

Koumori
08-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Yes, I have the first 3 issues. It's more of a catalog than a "trek" - it features pretty models, including Mana, dressed up in all the latest gothic/lolita styles, including spreads for all of the major companies (Alice Auaa, Black Peace Now, Moi Meme Moitie, etc.) and pictures of gothic lolitas on the streets of Shinjuku. One issue even had a shopping guide to Shinjuku and Harakuju with a little map showing all of the various boutique locations. There's a little gothic comic in each one, and volume 3 has a feature on gothic and lolita party food, which is adorable. Each issue also includes a pullout section of patterns, mostly for simple accessories and clothing items like bags, neckties, and skirts. I keep buying them because I like to see what The Kids Are Wearing (and to drool over the Alice Auaa and Black Peace Now stuff), but there's not a whole lot of substance to it.

HazelAsher
08-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Oh wow! Thanks for the information, that sounds awesome. I've been meaning to pick it up for a while, but my pockets have been pretty empty -.-;. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in Japan town! :D

shiroi_yukiko
08-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Waaaaah. The G&L Bible is awesome! I luv it so much! I can't believe the FIFTH one is coming out already! I'm too poor! I've been sort of...*cough* infatuated with the Gothic Lolita style for few months. Seriously though, to some Gothic Lolitas it is not cosplay! It's a lifestyle! Ha ha ha. I saw some really beautiful Lolitas when I was in Tokyo. I wish I had taken pictures, but I was scared to ask. Eeep. If you are really interested in the style there is a mailing list on Yahoo called "Black Lolita". It's really fun!

HazelAsher
08-19-2002, 09:11 PM
Yey! ^_~ Hehe, there's also a book (not Gothic Lolita though) that I saw in San Francsico, I think it's called Fruits or something, and it shows like what teenagers are wearing in Japan, and it's so much more..brillianly coloured than it is here. -.-;

HuongStar
08-20-2002, 09:56 AM
I have all five books and they are a constant source of inspiration for me. ^_^ Kera is good magazine if you want to check out both the Gothic & Lolita and the "FRUiTS"-esque Japanese street styles. The fourth and fifth books are really fantastic visually and content-wise; they have more of the party foods/entertaining and now they have interesting decorating tips and so on.

Hurry up and print the sixth one!!

Mara
08-20-2002, 01:27 PM
@_@ Wow, I've never heard of this before, but now I'm dying to get a volume or two. I have an Asahiya bookstore near my house... is it likely they would have it? Or is there someplace online I could order it from?

-Mara

Ranma Saotome
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Hmm, I always thought that books 1 and 2 were better, IMHO.

shiroi_yukiko
08-20-2002, 01:47 PM
@_@ Wow, I've never heard of this before, but now I'm dying to get a volume or two. I have an Asahiya bookstore near my house... is it likely they would have it? Or is there someplace online I could order it from?

-Mara

You can probably get one at Asahiya. Maybe. If you need to order one online though, I recommend fujisan.com. The prices there are decent, compared to what I paid at Sasuga! If anyone wants to see the bibles before they order them though, there are a few places online where people have scanned some pics.

Koumori
08-21-2002, 07:36 AM
I'll second the recommendation for fujisan.com. I've always gotten things from them very quickly at a reasonable price (I used to work in the record industry so I hate buying bootlegs :) ).