PDA

View Full Version : Dance Guidlines

VoiclessChild
04-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Hey Mina-san~! I'm on the Animazement committee, and I was asked to notify all people planning on attending the dance of the following...

The dance is a dance, and will not go by any other names...i.e-"rave." They basically did this to avoid anyone thinking that there might be drugs going on.

People who have glowsticks on strings! (Otherwise known as 'poi'): Your strings must be nowhere past 1 &1/2 feet long, this is done to aviod potential injuries, as there were some last year...^^;

There will be an enclosed area for people with glowsticks on strings. Please, stay out of that area if you do not plan on having strings.

That's about it...thanks for listening to all that blah...XD. If you have any questions, you can leave a post, or IM me @ KiwiDelusion on AIM.

-jade*

Ginny
04-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Gah, I wish we could ban glowsticks from dances all together. People are always throwing them, people tripping on them, getting hit by them. It's so dumb. >__< That, and circles of people watching ONE person dance so it takes up a bunch of room so other people who WANT to dance, can't. Poo on them!

Himemiya
04-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Will there be a DJ this year, or like last year with a guy at a computer? o.o; Will there be anime played on screens?

Totally g-chan >.< I HATE the circle crap! Its like "we're all to shy to dance so lets get in a circle and watch people breakdance" >.<

VoiclessChild
04-13-2003, 12:54 AM
There *is* going to be an actual DJ this year...we're working on the music since it crapped last year. As far as I know, ther e won't be any anime played on the screens...sorry T_T but Animazement, (still being relatively new) is too poor to afford it....We can't exactly controll whether people form a circle or not...if people want to, and you don't like it, you're welcome to go to the other side of the room. The glowstick on strings area isn't like a big circle...it's a corner of the room marked off so that no one gets whapped in the face this year...@.@;;No one should throw glowsticks though....if they do I can only pray that they don't hit you...^^; sorries, but I'm not on Security, so I can't stop that >.<.........Well, thanks for listening to my spheil...

-jade*

FweePockyGirl
04-15-2003, 11:00 AM
I will admit i was one of the people who posed potential injuries...my string like flying from my hand>.< doh, no stringed glowsticks this year! don't worry!...personally I love glowsticks...I do hate the circles though because I can't get the whole room dancing when it is in a circle. Though showing off is kinda fun....
~Bishie (who got the whole room dancing in '01 ^.^)

DigitalShin
04-16-2003, 12:58 AM
A side note about the music, You can't dance to 98% of Anime music unless it has been remixed to something decent. A lot of Anime "Dances/Raves/whatever" I've gone to and left in 2 minutes since the music selection were not all that great.
So a quick word to pass along, play some good dance music. Techno, Trance, Rave, some eurobeat. =P Just an opinion of a techno freak.

VoiclessChild
04-16-2003, 08:09 PM
lol...trust me, there is going to be almost absolutely NO Anime music! There may be some j-pop by Drive, Glay, and a few others....most of it *will* be trance and techno....not sure about eurobeat....@_@ Hope to see ya there! lol....

-jade*

liz-maru
04-16-2003, 08:23 PM
YAY!! i luv trance and techno!! yippeee!! ^_^ me happay!

CandyElly
04-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Okay, see, these people just don't know how to USE glowsticks. They're quite fine if ya know how to use em. If you know how to use em you're are NOT dumb enough to INJURE PEOPLE?!?!?! Omg I couldn't stop laughing. The only person my boyfriend has injured doing poi was himself *lol*
I might bringy my flags tho. They be lots softer than glowsticks.

AshleyV
04-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Yea for Tencho! I really miss dancing to Techno!

VoiclessChild
04-17-2003, 11:46 PM
There *will* be techno! O_O I will see to it myself...flags sound good...lol I had whapped my head billions of times, (and I'm sure it shows) doing poi. How the hell do people injure others with glowsticks!? I didn't think it possible.....

-jade*

VoiclessChild
04-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Quick update:: If we can get one or two plasma screens before the dance, we will have some anime playing on them, but mostly just mazmorizing shapes 'n stuff @.@ wheeee colours!
As noted below, the music itself will not be playing off of computers.
-jade*

FnordChan
04-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Howdy. My name is Phil Lee and I'm the guy in charge of the dance at this year's Animazement. I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions that have been discussed during this thread.

First off, as mentioned, we are officially not a "rave" and there will be some restrictions on glowsticks. We're still working out the details, but an 18" maximum string length is likely. Don't worry - we'll do our best to facilitate glowstick users, while also preventing other folks from being beaned in the head by them.

Second, while we can't prevent folks from standing around in a circle, hopefully a few reminders that dancing is not a spectator sport will encourage less gawking and more booty shaking.

Third, there will be two dances this year. I'll be DJing the dance on Saturday night for the third year running. This will be feature a combination of anime music suitable for getting down to (particularly remixes, as well as current, dance-oriented themes), some J-pop and anything else that seems amusing. And, of course, Heino. I will also attempt to take requests this year, though I can't make any promises.

In addition, on Friday night we have a local Chapel Hill DJ coming in armed with turntables and vinyl to spin techno, house, drum and bass, and anything else that strikes his fancy. If you're interseted in a more traditional club dance, this is the place for you. If you want to get down to anime music, show up to the dance on Saturday night. Ideally, everyone will show up to both dances and have an equally good time.

As usual, the dance will be held in the main ballroom, with as large a dance floor as possible laid out. Last year we played anime on our rear-projection screen (Patarillo, to be specific). There were some complaints that this was a bit bright, so this year the plan is to lower the brightness of the display, yet still play anime, or whatever else seems amusing, in the background. In addition, we'll have plenty of lights and other effects going; no one should lack for visual stimulation.

Himemiya, I don't believe anyone has ever run a dance at Animazement off a computer, nor do we plan to start doing so.

And there you have it. If anyone has any further questions about the dance, just post in this thread; I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Phil

VoiclessChild
04-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey, Phil I do believe I was the one that contacted you via e-mail. I was told to do so at the animazement meeting. I understand that there will be one Sunday. Thank you for clearing up the questions which people had on this thread, but please understand that what I wrote is what I was told to write, and if you have heard anything different then please, let me know. I was told that the glowsticks were to be elbow to wrist length, and that we would come up with an appropriate length sometime soon. Is it to be understood that 18" is that length? Also, Bex has informed me that we will be marking off sections for people to have glowstics on strings, and it will be an enter at your own risk ~_^; Thank you for clearing those questions up, and I'm sure we all look forward to having you CJ at the dance.

-jade*

FnordChan
04-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Howdy, Jade. Thanks for posting the original information about the dance. I talked with Bex earlier today and apparently a final decision about the glowstick issue has yet to be decided; we may very well go with the restricted areas, but apparently the con chairs are still hashing it out. As soon as I know more, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Phil

Himemiya
04-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Sorry for the misconception Fnordchan...

But WOW!!! Two dances?! This is so exciting!!