PDA

View Full Version : Miyazaki cosplay Fabric questions and more..

Blanko
03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I looked around for a topic helping me with this but none, oh well, I started one :D HAHAH anyway..

I always had an issue with picking out the right Fabrics and I could just ask the people at the fabric store, but for reference before I go take a ride down Fashion Ave. I want to ask people's opinion here, on what the best fabric I should use for A) Howl's Moving Castle - Howl (His dress shirt, pants, and over coat) and B) Princess Mononoke - San (Her over shirt and skirt)

I can pretty much guess what a good fabric might look like but I'd really like picking the best type of fabric right now so the costume comes out NICE for once (I never had much luck with fabric before) So please give me opinions!

Here are the reference pictures if anyone desperately needs them to answer my questions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Heartless_Demon/Mononoke-03.jpg <Mononoke-hime

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Heartless_Demon/Howl20Diamond20Ref.jpg <Howl

Question 2: What color's should I make Howl's cape? It's like... faded red and black but would making it normal red and Black better? Or too unacurate or something?

Question 3: Does anyone have a link that could help me make San's mask?

Sorry for all these questions but yeah.... : D Bye bye

Neko Transfan
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
For Howl's coat I'd go with a dull purple.

Bahzi
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
A link to make San's mask...no, but I can tell you how I made mine. ^^

I used ridgid wrap (plaster of paris cloth) which you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's crafts.

I used a plastic masquerade type mask as a base, just put tape over the nose to make it blend in more with the rest of the mask, and put layers of ridgid wrap over it (about 5-7 layers in most places) then allowed it to dry for half a day, then took the plastic mask out and let it dry the rest of the way for 2-3 days.

While it was drying I made the gold circles out of model magic, and once the mask was dry, attached it with epoxy putty. I also used epoxy putty for the lines on the mask.

I used an electric drill with a wood devil attachment to drill holes in the mask for vision, but a knife will work too....beware though, the plaster gets everywhere and the insides will need to be sealed with paint.

I used scupley for the masks ears, but I don't recommend it...too heavy, use model magic, much lighter!

Here's a picture of my completed mask: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=356622

As for the fabric for San's dress and apron, when I got around to remaking my mononoke costume, I was going to use twill for the dress and passion suede for the apron...passion suede is a fabric that looks and feels like suede, great stuff, and ebay has it in an cream color that would work well for San too.

That's just a suggestion though, really any fabric that's not transparent will look fine...I don't know what my original apron was made out of, but it looked okay. My dress was a light twill though, and I liked the way it draped.

I'll leave the Howl questions to the Howl experts. ^^

If you need any more help with San in any way, feel free to ask me, it wasn't my best work, but my San costume was pretty decent. ^_^

Blanko
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
NekoTransfan : Thanks I'll get fabric swatches and compare :D

Animeisha : SWEET! I'm definately copying this down, thanks lots! If I have more questions I guess I can IM you via AIM if you don't care... Just not now. xD Thanks again.

Bahzi
03-20-2007, 06:07 PM
You're welcome, and my sn is Animeisha, I'm on a lot, mostly at night if you have more questions. ^^

arcadiapandora
03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Don't forget that Howl's cape is actually a coat :o

For the inside I would go with just plain ol red, perhaps a shade darker or lighter, since bright red would look a little off imo. The trim I would go gold over yellow or orange. Gold trim always looks nicer :o. The outside, the sleeves I would go off-white or a gentle cream (muslin may work well, but the fabric wouldn't be the right kinda texture I think). And for the outside colors, I would either go crab-pink or mango depending on the selection, and a very pale purple or silver-gray.

As far as what kinda fabric: I wouldn't do any shiney stuff personally, unless it's for the inside red portion. So no satins or silks. Stretchy materials would also be out, and I wouldn't have anything way too heavy either. I think good ol cotton may work well ;o. I go by feel when I'm shopping, finding a few different selections of colors and then comparing feel and how I want to have the coat sorta hang.

For his shirt, I'd probably pick linen. Or anything flowy, looks to me he's wearing a poet shirt and those tend to be flexible. :D

Pants: Anything black and un-stretchy. :D

Also, major kudos to you for planning a Howl cosplay. Howl is my favorite Miyazaki character <3

Blanko
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Okay thanks for the information Arcasdiapandora : D I printed all of this out and took it to the fabric store and picked out a lot of colors, got swatches, and I'm going to compare nowww...

I couldn't find good kind of fabric and I had to get home so I just got Jersey Cotton in lots of different colors instead.

I might do the white coat for Howl instead becuase it's easier and I don't think I'm skilled enough to make a pattern for the front of the black/red coat.

Thanks for the help, again : D I'm still open to more suggestions from anyone!

Blanko
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry for double posting but rather than starting a new topic I wanted to just bump this one.

Does anyone know where to find good patterns on how to make either Howl's coat or Blouse?

I've looked around and right now the best I could do is combine different patterns. Since patterns are like... 16 ish dollars, and that's kind of expensive and adds up if you want to buy more than 2, which was my original solution.

I was just wondering if anyone had a good reference picture on a pattern I could use, or if they can find a link to the exact patterns for his coat and / or blouse for sale that would be nice too. :D thanks. Reference pictures are in the first post.

Thooluu
04-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't know a pattern for Howl's clothing...but if you interested in San's mask still ( I know it's been while since your post ) I have just posted mine in my gallery. Each picture explained what I did. If you like it, take a peek :) Good luck with your costume!

luminousshadow1
04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm glad I found this topic! I'm working on a Howl cosplay as well and it's very good to see some questions I had come up too. If you need any reference images just let me know. :)

In terms of colors, I've been comparing the images I've found from watching the movie and online plus the references from one of the art books (The Art of Howl's Moving Castle). The inside of the coat is a deep scarlet color and the pink is sort of a bubblegum pink that's a few shades darker. Then the tricky part was the grey because in some instances it looks blue/purple and others it looks grey.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to sort out the pattern problem myself so I can't help you there. Starting with the triangle/white coat may be a good idea, then you can practice to make the other coat if you like too. I'm going to be working on another cosplay before I start my coat so hopefully I can pick things up as I go along.

Good luck! :)

Edit: In my searching the best pattern that I could come up with is McCall's 4309. It's a women's coat/jacket but the modifications seem to be minimal. Slight changes to the collar and the hem/shape of the bottom of the coat seem to be the biggest part.