PDA

View Full Version : Is it possibe to color a wig???

PikminLink
04-12-2003, 10:22 PM
hi...okay i have a new wig for my link outfit.....(my avatar pic) but its too light....now..i dont know but is it possible to color it somehow? ...to get it more blondesh gold..um ...yeah....i dont know....so um yeah thats why im here <\^_~/>

thanks!

rogue
04-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, don't dye it. I've made that mistake years ago, and definatly learned from it. Wig = plastic = doesn't take dye. The wig will have the color change but it will rub off on everything.

Sorry I wasn't all that helpful.

Lynzie
04-12-2003, 11:26 PM
This probably isn't all that helpful, but I think the wig looks great. ^^;

PikminLink
04-12-2003, 11:32 PM
well in real life it looks like a ash sort of really light blond.....but when i had pictures taken it almost looked white......i really is kind of too light....but ill see.....
yes hair dye wouldnt work...but isnt there a such thing as wig dye? okay....im weird^_^;

thanks lynzie ^^

Ukayoru no Chou
04-13-2003, 12:02 AM
Really though... ;_;...I got my Sumomo wig...but..its *to* pink..and I need it more of the plummypink..x_____x;;;
sorry to hope in the middle ...^^;; I know there was a thred here on it..but I dunno if it still works the same way..besides I can't find it..x_x;; sorry.

Psychotic Jei
04-13-2003, 12:09 AM
I was once told that you could use rit dye on wigs....but....I tried that...and it just did not want to work for me. It also got everywhere. Um..the other method that people said was acrylic paint and water. Mix the two together...and then dip strands of the wig in and then comb. I think that's right...someone who actually knows...make sure Jei is not stupid.

Michi
04-13-2003, 05:03 AM
I know it's possible to dye wigs, because Tristen Citrine had a panel on it not too long ago at Ani-Magic.... 2001, I think it was. So I can't directly help, but I know it can work somehow, and to not give up hope. ^_^; Bah, encouraging words isn't helping to dye your wig, sorry. ^^; *runs*

A J
04-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Yes you can! I dyed a regular blue wig to a navy blue and my Bloodrayne wig was dyed orange to lighten it to look more like the character's unnatural hair color.

You need to use dyes specifically for acrylic fibers. I got mine from aljodye.com. Oshidori (user here on the forums) has a tutorial on how she dyed her wig in her journal:
http://forums.cosplay.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=848

The thing to note is that you can't boil the wig because it will melt the fibers so you need to use the dip method she describes.

Some other things u can try are spray painting the wig. I've used regular spray paint but it makes the wig stiff so only use it for wigs where it doesn't matter. I've heard floral sprays work to keep the wig soft but I've never tried. And I've tried tristen citrine's method but I couldn't get it to work. That might be because I'm too lazy to sit there and paint a wig. ^^

-AJ

PikminLink
04-13-2003, 01:09 PM
well......im thinking of trying watercolor.....i tried it out on a test peice..and it seemed to work.......well .....will watercolor be a good thing or a bad........but if the color doesnt work i can always wash it out ^^ ....thats the good thing about watercolor ^_~

Space Invader
04-13-2003, 04:01 PM
DON'T DO WATERCOLOR! YOU WILL BE SORRY!

*gasp*

Ok, it washes out, yes, but that the bad part. If that wig gets damp... yellow EVERYWHERE except for the wig ^_^;;. It will also rub off on anything that even gets NEAR it. Try the dye method that AJ and Oshidori have described. I'm probably going to have to do that for my Vela wig, since it's going to be hard finding the right color blue.

Sarcasm-hime
04-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Tristen Citrine's method is to water down acrylic paints (she uses metallic colours as it gives a nice shimmer to the wig) to the consistency of Kool-Aid, then while wearing latex gloves, work the paint into the hair, going section by section. Comb while it's drying to keep the hair from getting stiff. Repeat until the wig is the right colour.

Try to avoid watercolours or anything water-soluble, as it will end up all over you and your costume. Spraypaints are also bad because they tend to flake and you end up with coloured dandruff all over your costume...

Menchi
04-13-2003, 07:35 PM
if i had to dye a wig i woudl rather do the dipping thing...nothin against tristin's method but i dont have almost forever to paint a wig. conssidering i always have last minute issues about gettin costumes done. bad habit i gotta stop doin the last minute thing...in time i cna proly do it *shrugs*

KaraokeKate
04-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Acrylic paints will stiffen the fiber.

Dyes need boiling water to work well, and you can't boil synthetic fiber. Dipping it in cold dye only works about 10% of the time, and depends heavily on the color choice.

Spraypainting them just makes them look gross.

So how do I color them that avoids all these pitfalls? Ink. I know it sounds weird, but it works. I've succesfully dyed many wigs this way, and none of my customers have reported any trouble with bleeding. It's time consuming, but if you want to change the color of a synthetic wig, without changing the texture, then get yourself a Sharpie, and get to work. ~_^

Dante-chan
04-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Dude... you can ink a wig to dye it? Thanks! That helped me too! I've been wondering about that.

yayahan
04-14-2003, 03:27 PM
I have used colored hair spray to hightlight my wigs before, or add depth for roots etc. So far it's been working great for me. I would love to dye one someday to try it out :)

Michi
04-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Oush! I just remembered that I used a silver color spray on my Kuja wig... It came as a white wig originally, and if you look at the pictures it's definately not anymore. ^_^; I've darkened and colored other wigs that way, too.. But they were never actually used in cosplay (yet). :P
Link!! I know a good gold spray you could use, I think..! Or at least I hope it'd work on a wig.. @_@

lei
04-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Ok, so I'm hearing some people say RIT dye is good some say it's bad, my these are my questions to both people -
what was the origonal color of the wig and what was the intended color, because my wig is blond, so I'm here thinking it will take the dye. I need it lyliac (spelling?) so its not like I need a deep viabraint color. So I'm wondering if I use a purple dye and then rinse a little, will I be able to hold the color and prevent it from rubbing off on my all white costume?

KaraokeKate
04-15-2003, 02:58 AM
I soaked a white wig in RIT overnight to try to get a good light blue. It didn't survive the "wipe test". -_-'

Sarcasm-hime
04-16-2003, 02:09 PM
For the most part, regular fabric dyes like RIT will not work well on wigs, as the hair strands are plastic and do not absorb dye.

Hikaruchan
04-16-2003, 02:19 PM
I have been able to dye some wigs using rit and boiling water - worked about 40% of the time - just have to leave it in for a long time so have to watch to make sure doesn't melt. Even if the wig is a good one and will take dye and can stand the hot water- its not going to take a whole lot of dye even then so its best for subtle color changes. Changed a wig from a bright annoying purple to a darker purple, and white will be able to change to light pink or blue.

SynVanSiWes
04-17-2003, 01:32 PM
Okay, I actually in the exact same situation myself. I say this because I'm working on a Sheik cosplay and my wig was more platinum and not yellow enough. And as far as I can tell from the SSBM screenshot I have, Link, Zelda, and Sheik all have the same hair color.

I used Rit on it, the yellow dye, not the golden yellow. It made it a gentle yellow which I liked. I didn't buy a bright yellow wig, because I wanted something more subtle. However I don't know how it will fare in the long run. It may rub off on my skin some, I don't know. I'm also not too worried, becuse my wig is short so it won't lay on my back and rub off on my clothes. I didn't rinse it afterwards either, I just let it dry. So I know that it is loaded with dye.

To dye it I brought the water to a boil and added the dye, I then let it cool down some before adding the wig. I let it sit for about half an hour stirring occasionally.

Oh and a warning about RIT, it's really happy to dye stuff. Be careful of dying your kitchen countertop a new color. I had a couple drops splash out of a blue RIT I was using and found this was a problem. Use expendible rags to clean it up.

Pendrell
04-17-2003, 02:43 PM
SynVan IS right about rit being really happy to dye stuff. o_o;; I used it to turn a pair of white satin gauntlets a deep maroon color... and now I have a dark burgundy-colored pot and a pair of red streaks on the inside of my dryer from where the gloves landed after the air-cycle stopped. ^^;
I'm still planning on trying to dye my Subaru wig a turquoise color with rit.. even though some comments in this thread have indicated that might not be such a good idea. e_e; But I just can't imagine coloring a WHOLE wig with a Sharpie. *l* ^_^ I've got an aquamarine Sharpie... but there's no way I could color the entire thing with it! 0.o

RDorothy
04-18-2003, 12:06 AM
ooooh, there are so many good ideas here to try o.o

I need to dye a wig pink, I've been told that spaying it works, I've seen a couple of pics of one wig that was dyed yellow, and it looks great, so if some say it DOESN'T work, I guess it just depends on what brand you use and on what type of wig you spray it on.

Just test everything out and see what works ^^

(This thread helped me out, too)

PikminLink
04-18-2003, 12:57 AM
the thing that would suck is that i would like the color to look natural....not like *fake*....if you what i mean

KaraokeKate
04-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I really need to put up that ink dying tutorial. I've had three people asking about it just today... -_-'

It isn't necessary to color every strand of the wig. It's done as a wash.

Basically, here's an example of the kind of results you can expect.

http://www.katiebair.com/custom_color.jpg

Note that the scalp is not stained, and the hair texture is still excellent. It's a time consuming process, but it works really well. ^_^

lei
04-18-2003, 01:08 PM
That looks so good. PLEASE put up a tutorial, because I'm very willing to color EVERY strand of hair if I have to, but if not even better :-)

Pendrell
04-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Oh my. o.o; It does look awesome... I'm looking forward to the tutorial, yes indeed. ^_^ I don't care about time consumption, really, just as long as the wig looks GOOD when it's done. ^^

PikminLink
04-20-2003, 08:16 PM
yes yes...same here.....^___^

Akemet
06-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Well I color my wigs like karaoke but I use markers for fabric, they are permanent and don't get the wig stiff. I do have to work layer by layer XD sometimes I skip >.> but I get the costume wig looong time before so in my free bored time I add color XD The markers are JUMBO, so I don't have to use a small sharpie and it didn't take me that long, but it worked! XD and it didn't ink all over my costumes o.o' That's how I'm painting Jiburiru's wig from turquoise to more blue.

Miyabi-
06-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Holy necro-posting Batman! This is a FIVE YEAR OLD thread. Read the rules before you post for pity's sake. It's in the rules section:
http://www.cosplay.com/info/rules/
15. Thread Rezzing - Please do not ressurect old threads unless you have something important to add to them. Thread rezzing is defined as responding to a thread that has been inactive for a long time (usually months). While there is nothing stopping you from adding something important to an old thread, we'd like to avoid, for example, threads from 2002 suddenly popping up with replies like "yeah same here!" and suddenly being reborn in the forums. Actions like this can be confusing to other members when a huge inactive thread suddenly appears again, not to mention it's considered by many people as bad forum etiquette.