PDA

View Full Version : Rum Party!!!

Captain Jack
03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Okay, mates, this is unfortunately going to be watered down. Many of you may know what the Rum Party is, many of you don't, we mostly hold 'em in SoCal cons.

Anyways, here's the rundown.

We serve free iced tea (a.k.a. rum)
We dress up as pirates
We have some gambling games with gold coins
We have a jolly ol' time

Usually I run this with a crew of over 20. This time I can count the crew on one hand, so this will be small. Rum Party's are typically big and have lots of events, but this will be a fun little throwback to the very first Rum Party.

You can find out more about our going-ons on our forums, link in my sig.

What I want from you guys is an idea on the best time to hold this thing!

folkeye
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Perhaps a Pre-Rum party before the con to get things going.

Barunesusa
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Sounds fun, the only thing is that the Washington Trade Center prohibits outside food and drink...

Hitokiri Kenshin
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Sounds fun, the only thing is that the Washington Trade Center prohibits outside food and drink...

They do? I brought a lunch to last year's and they didn't get on me about it. True I didn't eat anywhere near the main con places but still.

Captain Jack
03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Perhaps there's a place inside where the crew and I can purchase the iced tea so they don't get on us about it. We'll see what we can do!

Eurobeat King
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Perhaps there's a place inside where the crew and I can purchase the iced tea so they don't get on us about it. We'll see what we can do!

There's two restaurants on the bottom floor that sell drinks, so you can inquire there if they have Iced Tea. Not sure the prices though. ;)

The Evil One
03-27-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd be cheaper and possibly cooler to throw it outback in the pack behind reg. No limits on outside food or drink and plenty of room. Just an idea. =3

Captain Jack
03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Do you mean that small courtyard area located outside? Cuz that's where I'd like to host it if they allow outside drinks there.

The Evil One
03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
The park is actually bigger than it looks but yeah. From what I have come to understand is that outside food is permitted in public areas, the park and half the convention center are open to the public. So I don;t think you have any trouble running it in the park.

So what would happen if a Ninja were to make an appearance at a Rum Party?

EvilAuthor
03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
So that's what a rum party is? Oh that sounds fun! Someone should tell the east coast because the locals here...They're idiots and have apparently been doing it wrong.
I'm not sure if I'll be bringing my pirate gear or not, and if I do, if I'll be willing to lace up my corset, but I like pirate games so I might try to come.

blackfruitbat
03-29-2007, 12:32 AM
That sounds like so much fun. o-o

Captain Jack
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
People have been doing wannabe Rum Party's on the East Coast? Fools!

LOL, me and my crew founded the Rum Party, so if we aren't hosting it, you can bet it's bootleg.

@Evil One: Actually, at the very first Rum Party (Anime Expo 2005) we were attacked by a ninja clan that - quite literally - came out of the trees, and claimed that they were taking control of the Rum Party.

They were greeted with the *clicks* of about 30 flintlock pistols before I stepped up and cut a deal with the ninja emissary, offering to join into one awesome brotherhood. They accepted, and we had drinks all around!

And thus ended the Ninja Pirate War.

EvilAuthor
03-29-2007, 11:39 AM
People have been doing wannabe Rum Party's on the East Coast? Fools!

LOL, me and my crew founded the Rum Party, so if we aren't hosting it, you can bet it's bootleg.

@Evil One: Actually, at the very first Rum Party (Anime Expo 2005) we were attacked by a ninja clan that - quite literally - came out of the trees, and claimed that they were taking control of the Rum Party.

They were greeted with the *clicks* of about 30 flintlock pistols before I stepped up and cut a deal with the ninja emissary, offering to join into one awesome brotherhood. They accepted, and we had drinks all around!

And thus ended the Ninja Pirate War.You mean the pirate ninja war ended in 2005? Wow...The more you know, huh?
And yes, there have been wannabe parties over here...Only they instead of tea to symbolise rum, they use beer. After the first round or two, they stop playing games and everyone drops their pirate accents.
I don't drink, nor do I approve of it, so I always thought Rum Parties were disgusting excuses for people to get drunk at cons. Now that I know that what's been going really is just an excuse to get drunk and is in no way a real Rum Party...

SvK
03-30-2007, 06:14 PM
By "We dress up as pirates" do you mean the people throwing the party, or everyone at the party. It sounds like a good time, but I don't have a pirate costume.

Simmaria
03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
no no US, the crew hosting, dress up as pirates. come in whatever you want.

SvK
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Huzzah!

Ginpatsu
04-02-2007, 03:24 PM
So what would happen if a Ninja were to make an appearance at a Rum Party?

XD Aww. Now I'd miss being Kakashi for that. Sounds fun! When and where is this taking place? We might drop by.. Though it's highly inappropriate for Ouran students to do so but meh. >]

Captain Jack
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm thinking Friday afternoon in the courtyard. We'll be out whenever there's nothing big happening.

Evilminion
04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Arrrrrhhh! You can count hubby and I in, mateys, so long as it won't be smack-dab in the middle of one of the Japanese guests' autograph sessions. :) Sounds like great fun!

Killer_Tofu
04-05-2007, 12:22 AM
sooooo...... time-frame? (I have group photos at 2:00, 3:30 and 6:00)

I'd love to join in t'be sure, I'll bring my "party" pirate gear (as in not verry acurate but fun and cute none the less) just in case but I need a time estimate

Killer_Tofu
04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
also be aware that I'll be rabid-fan-grrrl-glomping many of the pirates (being a pirate lurver m'self) so if you aren't the glomping sort be warie of the silver-haired wench in the mini-skirt *dun dun dun*

SvK
04-08-2007, 05:57 AM
The rum was good, and Captain Jack has fine aim with the ladle.

Killer_Tofu
04-08-2007, 12:56 PM
DAMN IT! I missed it!

I BLAME THE NINJAS!!!

Lukas Sanvien
04-09-2007, 02:08 AM
I think a good idea for next year would be to advertise this party a few days before the con, so that the entire thing can be coordinated and attended.

And if it DOES happen again next year, I might even be brave enough to come in my Gundam costume (provided, of course that it's finished.) I wonder what the pirates would think of that...

suqua
04-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the 'rum', Jack. ;)

Evilminion
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
We missed it, darn the luck, but will attend next time come hell or high water. :) Arrrrrrhhhhhh.

Captain Jack
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry to those of you that missed it :(

We ended up doing it Saturday and I had no way to post the change online once we were there, but we still served 200 cups o' rum. We definately plan on doing it again next year; hopefully with a larger crew this time.

A lot of the crew either couldn't make it or had to cancel very last second so it was just the three of us. We usually do things on a much grander scale. I hope the lot of you still enjoyed the first Sakura Con Rum Party, and look forward to a bigger and better one next year!

Kumi-chan
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Hoping I can come by again next year...I stopped over, but you were scraping the bottom of the cauldron (barrel? giant cooking pot?). From what I heard from everyone, a good time was had by all (particularly with a certain gourd of earthlike-substance).

Sagara-san
04-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Ahhhh yes, the jar of dirt....my idea. I asked the ninja to borrow the jug and handed it over to the Cap'n since his "other" jar of dirt had been smashed and lost.

Well, I stole two bags of wierd crunchy stuff and had to give one of them back,"Cap'ns orders", nearly got my hat stolen, shot a bird out of a tree, chased and subdued a thief, met beautiful wenches, danced with them, fought a vampire, saved the Cap'n from clingy wenches and a Tonberry, bought new gear.......pretty much best and first outta state con I've been to in my life.

Hope to see all of you again next year and this message is for Krisalyn(spellchecka)

The olympics, and Tall people live there.

See y'all next year Seattle.

Mr. Wolfwood
04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Damn you, Jack Sparrow... I had you by the butt of my pistol. If it weren't for the local security guards, I would have had you in irons by the end of the Convention.

... Keep a weathereye open Jack Sparrow.

Captain Jack
04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Better luck next year, Mr. Wolfwood! Perhaps I won't go so easy on ya!

Mr. Wolfwood
04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
~(All considered, I think we pulled off a proper fight. Putting aside the fact that we couldn't draw live-steel and their having placed eight peacebonds upon my sidearm, our hand to hand combat came off without a hitch. My pistols served as fine as any sword could have in their place, or so I'd like to believe. By the bye, where did you pick up your lovely little pee-shooter?

Next year, I'll be properly readied. I hope that for your sake, luck is on your side. I'll be keeping an eye on you Jack Sparrow... mark my words.)~

Captain Jack
04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Got mine from Master Replicas. I want to get a better one though!