PDA

View Full Version : For Women: Bulge Tutorial

Shunko_master
03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
What is "Penis Packing"?

Basically, girls dressing as guys have the option of putting something down their pants to represent the lack of "parts". People have been using stuffed socks, rumpled pantyhose (not recommended - slides around a lot), and real cyberskin packers (http://www.goodforher.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_6_88&products_id=573) (a bit graphic for the young ones).

Why "Penis Pack"?

- automatically gives you a "guy's walk"
- makes you feel more "in-character"
- 10+ realism points
- no dealing with sliding materials like socks and stuff
- less expensive than a "real" packer
- takes 10 minutes to do

Materials Needed
[] tube/conforming bandages (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v202/astrangeone/Penis%20Packers/?action=view&current=IMG_0278-1.jpg)(got mine at a medical supply store, you'd find meters of it in different sizes - I used adult limbs sizes.)
[] cotton balls
[] sewing needles
[] sewing thread
[] tight underwear (either use girly undies or tight granny panties)

*Sorry, no in-progress pics...it should be simple enough to figure out!

Step 1:
Cut off a small length of tube bandage. (Not too much, as the size tends to expand during stuffing.)

Step 2:
Sew one of the ends shut. Turn inside out and stuff with cotton balls. (I used a handful and a half when stuffing my 3 incher....)

Step 3:
Rearrange stuffing material to your liking. Sew opening shut.

Optional Step 4:
Sew to the underside of an existing pair of underwear. Use the seam lines that you have created in the packer.

The finished product (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v202/astrangeone/Penis%20Packers/?action=view&current=IMG_0277.jpg):
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v202/astrangeone/Penis%20Packers/?action=view&current=IMG_0277.jpg

Methods for Wearing:

Method 1 (The OMG the con is tomorrow!)
Tuck inside a pair of tight underwear (think skin tight).

Method 2 (The Neat-freak option)
Wear one pair of underwear, penis packer and then the next pair of underwear. (Better for cleanness factor, but a bit bulky.) Wear it with loose fitting bottoms for the best look, if you do this.

Method 3 (The too-bad we can't do this to guys who "adjust" in public)
Sew it into a pair of existing underwear using the seams of the packer.

animeBecky21
03-28-2007, 01:38 AM
Any reason you couldn't use the feet from a pair of pantyhose to make what you needed? Say a pair that gets a run up high somewhere - or just buy a new pair cheap to use. Stuff as desired and tie a knot in it, cut it off, sew or otherwise attach as needed... if you're making the whole package, tie the two together in the appropriate location. It may be better on this to use a small-size pair bought just to make it with, now that I think about it.

Smaller mens or boys tighty-whities may be an alternative to using your own underwear, too, at least if the waistband peeks out it would look more appropriate. Besides, if it moves around a little on you that's more realistic.

The only other suggestion I could make is to do what the "girls" do sometimes for hip pads and breast forms - cut out a piece of flexible foam of some kind for the insert rather than using cotton balls. You'll never get the shape exact unless you want to try to literally shave it, but cut it close with scissors. The inside of a foam mattress/pillow, one of those hosptial eggcrate pads, that sort of foam, not sure what they call it at the craft stores.

The only reason for this is once made, you can wash the whole thing in a lingerie bag afterwards, in the washing machine, as needed, and it will dry out in a couple days. I'm sure it's not hard to think of reasons why you might want to wash something like that, assuming you planned to use it more than once. I don't know about you but it's way easier to re-use something than to keep making it over and over - I've had the same breasts now for about 5 years.

Rat-Face
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Okay, so.

I gotta know.

Other than realism and the automatic guy walk ((Which I had down pat before I started cosplaying anyway, I'm very good at this.))- WHY would one do this? Just. Out of curiosity. 'cos. Well, I'm just disinclined to do something no one would really see.

Bahzi
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Okay, so.

I gotta know.

Other than realism and the automatic guy walk ((Which I had down pat before I started cosplaying anyway, I'm very good at this.))- WHY would one do this? Just. Out of curiosity. 'cos. Well, I'm just disinclined to do something no one would really see.

Yes, also wondering the same thing... A little bit confused on the purpose of this.

yamibakura03
03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
^^"" i dont like being pick on by girls, i look boyish enough when i crossplay)) But i guess this applies to those who would want to be perfect on there crossplay, but still dont think its necessary.

Rocieru
03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
just a little .02....some boys does have really small "package"(like..shota or bishounens, its hard to image them having a large "bean bag haning around) so if you are going to make it, do it in approprite size for the character you pick, that'd give a more suitable apparence.

nite chan
03-29-2007, 12:08 AM
... Wow, i've never seen these before, but i agree. Why would you need to pack yourself if.. really no one is going to be looking at your "package." xD

Crimson Firefly
03-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't think I would bother for most costumes, but I've been contemplating making one of these for a spandex costume. Though I'd much rather have a "guy with a dancebelt on look" rather than "a guy hanging loose look". I'll have to stare at some guys' crotches to make sure I get it right :angel2:.

And there ARE people who check crotches to identify the gender of the cosplayer. It's sort of like when a guy assumes that he doesn't have to tuck while wearing a tight dress.

Rat-Face
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, see, I could understand if there were tight clothes involved, 'cos, I mean, chicks need something there that they ain't got, and guys gotta hide what they got. ((Like. I could see a girl needing to do this for David Bowie in Labyrinth- you can't just ignore Bowie's hypnotic crotch.))

But what I'm thinking compares to a chick with small boobs in a really loose shirt/shirt that doesn't even touch her front, binding.

If you're not wearing anything that makes your crotch an object of interest, then why do it?

Kuro Yue
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I've never seen the point in packing anything down there, either - even for the tighter cosplays. People will already assume that you're a girl, and I don't see the point in torturing them any more.

And I'm just a little bothered by the idea of having any sort of lump in my pants for two whole days. . .

Arum
03-30-2007, 01:59 AM
I've never seen the point in packing anything down there, either - even for the tighter cosplays. People will already assume that you're a girl, and I don't see the point in torturing them any more.

And I'm just a little bothered by the idea of having any sort of lump in my pants for two whole days. . .

Try having it there...forever! *scary music*

My only plea is to not make it enormous (ie David Bowie size) unless you're cosplaying someone with a confirmed endowment (ie David Bowie).

Rat-Face
03-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Try having it there...forever! *scary music*

My only plea is to not make it enormous (ie David Bowie size) unless you're cosplaying someone with a confirmed endowment (ie David Bowie).

*laugh* One- We're endowed with much larger, much more in-the-way attachments. Yours might be harder to take care of, but ours are awful. (Not to say that I wish I could trade, I've been living with the boobs for about ten years, I'm just fine with them, now.)

Two- I still don't see why anyone would want to stuff their panties. It's not like we're trying to pick up chicks.

Cadmium Polyphony
03-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Panty packing is kind of silly. Most guy characters dont wear hyper-tight pants anyway, so its not like you'd be showing off a camel-toe or anything.

Shunko_master
03-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, well, it's something done in the drag king circle, so I'd thought I'd repost my instructions here just to help.

I find that some characters practically require you to wear it. (Tight pants, anyone?) Besides, I personally have showed off a bit of camel-toe while in cosplay - damn my taste in pants!

Winterwhisper - love your display pic - Mmmmm....Captain Janeway...*drools*

Crimson Firefly
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
This discussion has been very facinating for me. It's interesting to see where the line is drawn between crossplay and crossdressing. From the sound of it it looks like it's generally accepted that a female will hide feminine aspects of her body, but as soon as she adds the appearance of somewhat visible genitalia to her costume she has trespassed into the realm of "wanna-be man."

A lot of female crossplayers seem to think that their gender identity can be left unchallenged when they dress in male clothing (and likely for the most part it is)... a luxury that male crossplayers are never given. Frankly most serious male crossplayers are perceived to be transsexual or even homosexual simply because of their attempts to imitate a feminine body.

Perhaps I'm a bit off topic, but what I'm trying to get at is maybe this general distaste for stuffing pants is a fear being perceived as transsexual or homosexual. I mean...

Two- I still don't see why anyone would want to stuff their panties. It's not like we're trying to pick up chicks.

Personally I have never known a girl who decided to date a guy based on the size of his package... let alone a girl who decided to date a girl based on the size of her "package" XP;

Maybe this is an issue us female crossplayers should reconsider. While anime boys are often portrayed as being somewhat sexless (ie. penises are rarely ever drawn on naked anime men outside of hentai... as far as I know they are only ever drawn on almost baby age little boys like Goku in Dragon Ball, the doll in Gash Bell...), it may very well be impossible to leave sex out of it when bringing these characters to life. After all, people tend to get somewhat upset if they can't identify the sex of an androgynous person.

Before anyone comes up with a counter argument I'd like to say I know where you are coming from. I identify as transgendered and I am primarily a lesbian, yet I am STILL pretty uncomfortable about incorporating budging into my cosplay. I don't want to be perceived as butch or of having penis envy any more than I'm sure the girliest of crossplayers on here do, but then an image of "Camel-Toe Carol" pops into my brain and I think "wouldn't that be worse?" I remember seeing a unbound double-D Van Fanel bouncing around on stage once and wanting to puke - depending on the costume woman crotch can be just as noticeable and just as revealing of the wearer's sex.

Right, ok it might not necessary for EVERY single costume... even binding might not be either for some people, but I would rather not see anyone else asking what the purpose of this thread was as if it didn't belong here.

The guys on this forum have known all along that crossplaying takes balls; maybe us girls need 'em too :P

Kuro Yue
03-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Perhaps I'm a bit off topic, but what I'm trying to get at is maybe this general distaste for stuffing pants is a fear being perceived as transsexual or homosexual

I don't have a fear of being perceived as transsexual (although the thought of being taken as a homosexual is the farthest thing from my mind when it comes to packing) - I had actually convinced myself that I was for a time.

I don't like the idea of 'packing' because I don't like the idea of having anything down there for any period of time, especially something that large. When it's that time of the month, sometimes things will bunch up, and that's all I can think about when I'm walking, and how uncomfortable it makes me.

I'm not going for absolute realism when I portray these characters - what I want is to become that character for a while, and feel natural while doing it. Faking genitalia doesn't make me feel natural.

The overall idea of androgyny is interesting to me - angels were often portrayed as androgynous, being of neither gender. I like the idea of being in between, being both yet neither.

And as someone who has never worn pants tight enough to have ever experienced camel toe, I can't relate to the ohnoezcameltoe fear. I've never even SEEN camel toe, in pictures or in person (so you can imagine how long it took for me to figure it out).

Rat-Face
03-30-2007, 11:50 PM
This discussion has been very facinating for me. It's interesting to see where the line is drawn between crossplay and crossdressing. From the sound of it it looks like it's generally accepted that a female will hide feminine aspects of her body, but as soon as she adds the appearance of somewhat visible genitalia to her costume she has trespassed into the realm of "wanna-be man."

A lot of female crossplayers seem to think that their gender identity can be left unchallenged when they dress in male clothing (and likely for the most part it is)... a luxury that male crossplayers are never given. Frankly most serious male crossplayers are perceived to be transsexual or even homosexual simply because of their attempts to imitate a feminine body.

Perhaps I'm a bit off topic, but what I'm trying to get at is maybe this general distaste for stuffing pants is a fear being perceived as transsexual or homosexual. I mean...

Personally I have never known a girl who decided to date a guy based on the size of his package... let alone a girl who decided to date a girl based on the size of her "package" XP;

Maybe this is an issue us female crossplayers should reconsider. While anime boys are often portrayed as being somewhat sexless (ie. penises are rarely ever drawn on naked anime men outside of hentai... as far as I know they are only ever drawn on almost baby age little boys like Goku in Dragon Ball, the doll in Gash Bell...), it may very well be impossible to leave sex out of it when bringing these characters to life. After all, people tend to get somewhat upset if they can't identify the sex of an androgynous person.

Before anyone comes up with a counter argument I'd like to say I know where you are coming from. I identify as transgendered and I am primarily a lesbian, yet I am STILL pretty uncomfortable about incorporating budging into my cosplay. I don't want to be perceived as butch or of having penis envy any more than I'm sure the girliest of crossplayers on here do, but then an image of "Camel-Toe Carol" pops into my brain and I think "wouldn't that be worse?" I remember seeing a unbound double-D Van Fanel bouncing around on stage once and wanting to puke - depending on the costume woman crotch can be just as noticeable and just as revealing of the wearer's sex.

Right, ok it might not necessary for EVERY single costume... even binding might not be either for some people, but I would rather not see anyone else asking what the purpose of this thread was as if it didn't belong here.

The guys on this forum have known all along that crossplaying takes balls; maybe us girls need 'em too :P

Okay, valid points.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with it. I just wanted to know why one would do this. Crossplaying, to me, is sheer appearances. I don't even have to crossdress to be mistaken for a male, but when I want to do uber good, I bind and keep my shirts loose enough that my hips aren't taken into account.
I have nothing against lesbians or transgendered. I'm probably one or the other, or at least halfway there, gods know I'm not sure what gender or sexuality I am.
But things between my legs...? I don't see how men walk ANYWAY. I can't even stand pads, or even pantyliners. It's uncomfy. It's about appearances, the way you look. If budging is necessary for APPEARANCES, go for it. If it's for realism... Nope, sorry.

Just to say- I know for a fact that girls will pick men based entirely on dick size. You just have the benefit of knowing smarter/older females. I know a bunch of sixteen-twenty-years olds that couldn't tell you anything about anything except their favorite brand of clothes and how much it cost.

... People get upset when they can't tell if it's a boy or a girl...? ^ ^; Great. I know it's a distress when you correct them (which is usually why I don't), but why would it be upsetting that they can't tell? Wouldn't the androgyne be the one offended? ((Well, depending on whether or not they like the confusion. I try not to take too much delight in it.))

Okay- see, now, I already said this, but for cosplays where it's necessary, like with tight pants or something, I can see where that's coming from. Female camel toe is not good when crossplaying. I'd do it if I was walking around in leggings or something, but I'm not going to for Hiei, because his pants are too loose, and I'm doing that almost-dress-cloak-thing. If anyone sees that far up my. Whatever the hell that thing is. It's because I'm dropping off of something high, and it'll fall right back down when I land.
Seriously, if I thought it was necessary, I'd do the budging. But. I just fail to see how it would be necessary, outside David Bowie's Hypnotic Crotch.

Just to clear up if I'm coming across as discriminate. ^ ^

Andrea
03-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Eh, I personally wondered why we didn't already have a thread about this. I guess now I know... *eyes above comments* I've never personally done it myself, but I can understand why someone might want to, and I've considered it a few times. The Sydney costume, for instance... heck, I'm asexual and I can't help staring at Sydney's crotch. It's like women who wear tops so lowcut you see everything BUT what you're not supposed to, so you can't stop looking in disbelief. Might as well make it look right.

And some people might just find that it helps them feel more in character. I actually AM one of those tiny little girls for whom an A bra is too large, and I bind even when in a loose shirt just because if I happen to turn my torso the right way it's still obvious. So I feel better knowing I have a boy's body even if no one else would notice 90% of the time. I imagine the same would be true for some people when packing. (I imagine it might be true for ME, all things considered. ;)) Though really it would only help with the swaggering stereotypical male type characters, probably...

LGS
03-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm going to do this for my Jareth costume. Especially since it's the outfit from 'Magic Dance'. Tight pants hallo thar.

Hehe, I haven't told my hunny yet. I'm going to sneak into the bathroom while he's sleeping to put it on, then wake him up and watch him freak out.

Shunko_master
03-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm going to do this for my Jareth costume. Especially since it's the outfit from 'Magic Dance'. Tight pants hallo thar.

Hehe, I haven't told my hunny yet. I'm going to sneak into the bathroom while he's sleeping to put it on, then wake him up and watch him freak out.

LGS - that would be fun, I would love to watch his reaction. I like the way it feels...it feels natural, not like bunching from period pads. (Ack...that would be uncomfortable.) You can wear it the whole day and not be bothered by it.

tara_davis
04-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Most men's fashions are designed specifically to hide "the bulge" a little bit, and every teenage boy has memories of not wanting to get up from their desks or library tables for fear of showing off an untimely hard-on.

On most men, the flaccid unit takes up only slightly more space than the scrotum, Having a big zucchini-type shape down your leg will look very fake.

However, if a false "bulge" makes you feel more in character, or if you enjoy having it because of some element of gender-variance in your personality (and there's NOTHING wrong with that!), then perhaps those instructions could be helpful.

If all you care about is the over-all look of your cosplay, it's probably not worth the effort. A groin bulge is a lot less important to F-to-M crossplay than, for example, false breasts are for M-to-F crossplayers.

RosyPosy
04-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, see, I could understand if there were tight clothes involved, 'cos, I mean, chicks need something there that they ain't got, and guys gotta hide what they got. ((Like. I could see a girl needing to do this for David Bowie in Labyrinth- you can't just ignore Bowie's hypnotic crotch.))

I'm sorry I was randomly skimming the boards when I saw this and spewed pepsi all over my desk. ^^ Kudos!

EgnirysFaye
04-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Guys guys guys - Why does it have to lead to the whole issue about transexuals homosexuals? My goodness, this post is just to help ladies wanting to look more like a character, why does it have to turn so controversial? Some people might want a package, some might not - It's peoples choice. We already discussed the whole transexual thing long ago.

Frankly, the post is useful! Not sure if I'd do it, I am wearing a long robe so it wouldn't matter and practicing walks (Me as a girl doing a guy of course) but others might certainly do it for sure.

So just leettt it be, we are all forgetting that this is all just Costumes! We are doing this not for real life, but for the characters that don't exist and to enjoy our time XD Plus crossplaying/dressing has been around for awhile now when it comes to cons and anime/games/manga etc, at least from what I have seen. It's like acting, when you act you don't focus on how you would react towards things, but how the actual character would and you just play that sort of role.

tara_davis
04-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Guys guys guys - Why does it have to lead to the whole issue about transexuals homosexuals? My goodness, this post is just to help ladies wanting to look more like a character, why does it have to turn so controversial? Some people might want a package, some might not - It's peoples choice. We already discussed the whole transexual thing long ago.

Frankly, the post is useful! Not sure if I'd do it, I am wearing a long robe so it wouldn't matter and practicing walks (Me as a girl doing a guy of course) but others might certainly do it for sure.

So just leettt it be, we are all forgetting that this is all just Costumes! We are doing this not for real life, but for the characters that don't exist and to enjoy our time XD Plus crossplaying/dressing has been around for awhile now when it comes to cons and anime/games/manga etc, at least from what I have seen. It's like acting, when you act you don't focus on how you would react towards things, but how the actual character would and you just play that sort of role.

I think you are being deliberately blind to insist that all crossplayers are chosing to crossplay for the sole reason of representing an interesting character.

Gender play is often fun, harmless, and often a rather eye-opening experience for some people. Some (not all) crossplayers simply find the theatrics of taking on an opposite-gender role to be much more compelling than playing a character of their own gender.

Just as it is unfair to assume that all crossplayers are gay/transgendered/whatever, it's also not quite right to assume that none of them are, because that is obviously not the case, simply based on a quick cursory examinations of the crossplayers of both genders on this forum.

Anyway, swerving back on topic, like I was saying, a fake bulge isn't really needed for the look of most F-to-M crossplays, but if you want to use one (for WHATEVER reason), these instructions look like a good way to go about it.

Shunko_master
04-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Just as it is unfair to assume that all crossplayers are gay/transgendered/whatever, it's also not quite right to assume that none of them are, because that is obviously not the case, simply based on a quick cursory examinations of the crossplayers of both genders on this forum.

Very true. :bigtu: It's a case of lopsided bigotry, as most crossplayers have an innate fear of being labeled as part of the lgbt community. But on the flip side, most crossplayers like the attention ("An non-ego-centric cosplayer? That's an oxymoron!) that their art gives them.

Personally, as a part-time drag king, I find that dressing up as a male character nets you a much different reaction to the world. You are given more personal space, more respect, and more danger (men have more danger of being physically attacked than women) than the average woman.

Alessa
04-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Very good instructions!
If I ever crossplay a guy where I need a "package", I will make it that way :)

Thanks a lot! :)

AND NOW STOP ARGUING, PEOPLE!!

oh geez... :untrust:

Rat-Face
04-03-2007, 09:44 AM

WHY are you lot arguing about transgender/homosexual stuff anyway...?

That's...

*dumb look* If you are, you are, if you ain't, you ain't, and it's none of your business if anyone else is or isn't.

Ah, and I'm sorry about the pepsi, Rosy, but I won't say I'm not proud of myself.

LadyHawke78
04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Shunko-master, it's good to see another Drag-King on the forums... I thought I was the only one who actually "performed" in Drag/Crossplay/whatever you want to call it.

Personally, I have never "packed" (OR bound my chest...) when I've done drag, and I've been doing it since '05. I tend to wear loose-fitting clothing when I dress as the opposite gender-- my drag-persona is stylized in a very 1940's gangster, Frank Sinatra-esqe manner, so I do a lot of oversized suits to hide my curves, and I'm very flat-chested, so ya just can't tell I have boobs (sports bra FTW!) A lot of other drag-kings I know have a hip-hop persona, and they wear VERY baggy pants, so it becomes a non-issue for them as well.

I can see this being an issue if the clothing is tighter over "that area" of the body, and if is a character that one would imagine to have "that" sort of physique. Not a lot of guys in Anime have crazy bulges, but some American comic-book characters might be appropriate if done this way, along with some real-life costumes (like characters from movies and whatnot.) There are a lot of crossplayers out there who do costumes for things other than Anime/Manga.

IzumiContraband
04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
"Pointless" or not, I'd definitely try this, and I'm glad to see a tutorial for this on the forums. I've kind of been wondering about this sort of thing for awhile...
For me, personally, it seems like it would help me get into character. I'm not sure if I would care that people wouldn't be able to notice the "bulge." That's my take on it. ^^
Thanks for the tutorial!

CapsuleCorp
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Let me say, you will not believe the effect it has on your costume until you try it.

I packed fully for a con for the first time at CostumeCon last week. Shuichi's rather tight PVC pants - ESSENTIAL! Wolfram's uniform pants - not as obvious, but I did it anyway. And I'm glad I did. Yes, it make me feel more male, but it also made me walk more male. And I'm pretty sure Shuichi needed it more than anything. The PVC pants aren't lycra-tight, but the little sock bulge felt very appropriate, and if anyone looked, it would have helped me "pass" in their eyes.

Sure, people might think it is unnecessary, or uncomfortable, but really, you don't know until you've tried it. I only went with the old sock routine to start with, it's plenty for me. If I upgrade from there it'll be a full on soft pack, I'm not messing around when it gets that far. I have seen tutorials on how to make your own with condoms and hair gel, too, if the sewing and cotton seems too bulky.

Minor caveat, I do consider myself transgendered and have absolutely no problem with fully crossdressing and trying to pass. That said, even if you aren't doing Jareth, there are times and places when a little packing might help you out, especially if you're intent on really fooling people for whatever personal reasons you have. But if you can't hide the rest of your feminine features, then no, packing probably won't help you.

Just don't squick on it. It's really no different than men adding fake boobs.

Shunko_master
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Shunko-master, it's good to see another Drag-King on the forums... I thought I was the only one who actually "performed" in Drag/Crossplay/whatever you want to call it.

Cool beans, LadyHawke78. I just started playing as a "drag king" a year ago. It was inspired by Norah Roberts Self-Made Man. I just recently appeared in my private high school dressed in drag, and it made some of the teachers highly uncomfortable. (I really don't know why x-dressing makes people uncomfortable.)

As CapsuleCorp said:

Just don't squick on it. It's really no different than men adding fake boobs.

Queen Anime 99
04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
ROFL. XD This is a funny topic. I had actually thought about packing while doing my Heero Yuy cosplay: http://members.fortunecity.com/heero195/wallpaper13.jpg, but I am glad I didn't buy a packy b/c I forgot my binder was viewable and I had to wear a weak sports bra instead. So, I'd be Heero with boobs and a penis and I don't want a lot of questions or weird looks. :D

I would LOVE to be a drag king, but I must overcome my shyness. I'm really into androgyny and stuff.

Shunko_master
04-06-2007, 06:33 PM
ROFL. XD This is a funny topic. I had actually thought about packing while doing my Heero Yuy cosplay: http://members.fortunecity.com/heero195/wallpaper13.jpg, but I am glad I didn't buy a packy b/c I forgot my binder was viewable and I had to wear a weak sports bra instead. So, I'd be Heero with boobs and a penis and I don't want a lot of questions or weird looks. :D

I would LOVE to be a drag king, but I must overcome my shyness. I'm really into androgyny and stuff.

LOL - I love being a drag king. Although, once, when I was getting ready for wearing a penis packer and I was practicing by wearing it under my clothes...and not binding. I went out to grab some more white glue and stuff for a cosplay, and ended up physically bumping into an old female friend. (She was not amused by the bump in my pants...but she started laughing anyway as I explained the situation to her.)

I love playing with gender roles, it's too fun!!!!!!!!

Offtopic: Much love for Heero Yuy!!!!!!! *huggles*

LizardMandy
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Very good instructions!
If I ever crossplay a guy where I need a "package", I will make it that way :)

Thanks a lot! :)

AND NOW STOP ARGUING, PEOPLE!!

oh geez... :untrust:

*blinks* I've been reading this particular thread in interest and it doesn't seem like anybody's really arguing here, per se. Let's face it, it's a topic that warrants discussion.

In American society, at least, fashion is often made to flaunt boobs and the general reaction (unless it's too much...) is that it's alright, it's alluring. As soon as a man has a visible package, though, it's gross. Same with camel toe. Yes it's a double standard, but it's true.

As such, of course the idea of penis packing is going to be a little controversial. So far all I've seen on this thread is pretty civil discussion of it, though. What's so wrong with voicing differing opinions?

CapsuleCorp
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Granted, there is a "too far" - I mean, men ought to wear dance belts under spandex bodysuits because omg...I've seen what happens when they fail to do so. Yikes. Especially if the suit (like a superhero costume) has a plumbing zipper right there - talk about calling attention to it! So, I wouldn't necessarily go all the way if there's only a thin layer of spandex between me and the outside world. But in comfortable but not-loose pants? Give it a try if you feel like going that far. Some people aren't into that, that's fine. Nobody has to. But I'm sure there are some people for whom this sort of body modification will help their self-esteem when it comes to "passing," will amuse them greatly when people mistake them for boys, and will help them carry on the illusion with their walk and stance and sitting.

ps. I'm a drag king in training. :D I've been dared to volunteer the next time the club near me has "amateur drag king night."

Karisu-sama
04-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Eh, I personally wondered why we didn't already have a thread about this.
I think we have, but it's so old it's long buried in the lower pages... lol

Some girls pack for cosplay, some don't. Even some transgendered guys (F-to-M) don't - it's a personal preference.

I don't, in part because I don't think it really is essential to the guy costumes I have worn. (Haven't tried to cosplay Jareth yet... ^^)

Shunko_master
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
It's just a choice. I hoped that most people on cosplay.com were a little more mature, instead of immediately attacking the topic of packing!

Sheesh....I figured I could give some advice...next time, I'd just keep my mouth shut.

Why does xplay blow some people's minds?

yamibakura03
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
It's just a choice. I hoped that most people on cosplay.com were a little more mature, instead of immediately attacking the topic of packing!

Sheesh....I figured I could give some advice...next time, I'd just keep my mouth shut.

Why does xplay blow some people's minds?

Consider this is A cosplay site, saying that people arent more mature is downgrading on people. And its not about Maturity, its more of what people think. That is why its called an Opinion!
Besides, Like you said "It's just a choice" then let the people decided if they want to or not used your advice. Im sure there are those who are willing to try this.

Chizome
04-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Shunko_master, I think you've done well by putting this thread up for those of us who may need it. I'm about to do my first crossplay, and trust me, it definately (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/Sekhimet/balbycospsketch1.jpg) needs packing, since it's so skimpy.

Thanks for posting the thread. ^^

Crimson Firefly
04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Consider this is A cosplay site, saying that people arent more mature is downgrading on people. And its not about Maturity, its more of what people think. That is why its called an Opinion!
Besides, Like you said "It's just a choice" then let the people decided if they want to or not used your advice. Im sure there are those who are willing to try this.

Some of the people posting in this thread were rather rude to Shunko_master so I think the lack of maturity is not an issue of whether people agree or disagree with packing, but rather the comments like "I don't see why it's necessary" and such that basically deny the right of this post to simply exist were.

NaraLufflesEd
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a couple of questions about the tutorial. First off, to "pack," are you supposed to make it in the shape of the actual body part in order to make it look like you've got something there? Or do you just make it a random shape and it still has the same effect? Also, when you sew it into your underwear, do you sew it actually inside on the bottom, or on the outside on the bottom? If inside, won't that irritate your skin?

Crimson Firefly
04-18-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a feeling the package will be more secure and less likely to shift around if it's on the inside of your underwear. If you happened to make it out of something that's uncomfortable against your skin you can always wear another pair of underwear underneath your packing underwear... more hygenic too.

As for the shape I suggest taking a look at guy's underwear ads (http://can.cku.com/images/cku/categories/Calvin%20Klein%20Flexible%20Fit.jpg)... you might want to downsize a little since guys in underwear ads tend to be well endowed, but it should give you a good idea.

crimson sky
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
We are doing this not for real life, but for the characters that don't exist and to enjoy our time XD

I resent that! XD
I crossplay real men!

I plan on packing at least for a photoshoot with some of my Kyo cosplays (for example, his skintight leopard print pants, or the skintight denim shortshorts, or the skintight pvc hotpants, etc) if not for the whole day. Kyo's got a nice visible bulge that likes to distract us all *.* And he flaunts it with lots of groping and rubbing >.>

Plus, it's even more fun because half the time he's crossdressing. Haha, it'll confuse people even more!

So thanks for this thread, it's useful ^.^

tsumikuroi
04-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Though I don't have any cosplays in my to-do list that involve any REAL need for a bulge, I'm still going to keep this in mind, especially for my upcoming Emperor Peony cosplay. The benefit of having a "manly walk" intrigues me!

P.S. At someone's mention of using socks, I just had a flashback to Terry Pratchett. "You're going to need socks. Use one pair, now don't be too ambitious..."

NaraLufflesEd
04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I have a feeling the package will be more secure and less likely to shift around if it's on the inside of your underwear. If you happened to make it out of something that's uncomfortable against your skin you can always wear another pair of underwear underneath your packing underwear... more hygenic too.

As for the shape I suggest taking a look at guy's underwear ads (http://can.cku.com/images/cku/categories/Calvin%20Klein%20Flexible%20Fit.jpg)... you might want to downsize a little since guys in underwear ads tend to be well endowed, but it should give you a good idea.

Alright, th ank you.

DigitalDeviance
04-19-2007, 03:28 PM
» COMPLETELY IGNORE THIS POST AND SCROLL DOWN FOR ACTUAL MEASUREMENT.

Michi
04-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if this'll help anyone planning to "pack," but average length is about 5-7 and average circumference is about 4.75-5.

:rofl: Oh dear. I think the worldwide average is closer to about 4 or 5, with an range from 3.5 to 6 inches. 7 is pretty big to be average, I think. OF COURSE, we're talking about erect sizes, yes? Unless you plan to cosplay a character with a constant hard-on for some reason, it won't matter that much what your bulge looks like. D:

...And now I'm talking about penis sizes on a cosplay board, oy. That's certainly enough of that!

My friend tried to make me a package for one of my early crossplays. You couldn't really tell the difference. XD; I doubt I'll bother unless I ever do some really manly men that have the need to show it off in tight pants. Like David Bowie or Freddie Mercury.

DigitalDeviance
04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
» XD, Yeah, I just realized that I accidentally wrote the wrong set of numbers. I was just browsing around on another website and the thought pretty much hit me in the face. I pretty much forgot to go over the measurements to make sure it was the right thing! Thanks for correcting it, some poor person could have looked at the measurements and made a terribly large packer on accident. XD

NaraLufflesEd
04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
XD, Yeah, I just realized that I accidentally wrote the wrong set of numbers. I was just browsing around on another website and the thought pretty much hit me in the face. I pretty much forgot to go over the measurements to make sure it was the right thing! Thanks for correcting it, some poor person could have looked at the measurements and made a terribly large packer on accident. XD

nice edo XDDD

Shunko_master
04-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Also depends on proportion of body sizes. I wore one packer (too large) packer out in public, and an old lady on the subway was playing eye tag with it.

I'm short (5 feet), so I make my packers 3 inches long. (And the thing tends to expand when you are dealing with it...)

Northern
04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Im still not sure I understand the...need...to be that absolutly accurate. I can understand binding down the breasts for women, or cinching the waist for men...

Im pretty bold in my crossplays, to the point that Im actually making a Blades of Glory Crossplay...which includes alot of snug clothing...but a packer...that is certinally one piece of costume I will NOT be adding.

Please, someone explain the desire for this...are people actually looking that closely at your crotches? Not trying to be a prude here, Im just trying to understand.

Northern
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I do understand why people would pack for a male cosplay, but still, the idea of having something down there for 2 days, even longer for some of the bigger conventions, would quite possibly drive one insane.

Here is a suggestion:

Why dont you try using (the actual reason for David Bowie's hypnotic crotch) a cod piece, when making the pants? Its a piece actually sewn into the pants, in the 18th century it was made of firm fabric, leather, we could use thick fusible interfacing or foam, that way its actually part of the costume, looks realistic and wont be a pain to reset *blush* every time you need to use the ladies room.

Crimson Firefly
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
You know... binding can be just as or even more uncomfortable and even hazardous if done wrong. Ribs poking into lungs or skin ripping off is a lot more uncomfortable than having something in between your legs frankly.

And Shunko's suggestion was to sew the packer onto underwear... that way it wouldn't have to be reset :). I personally would prefer to sew one to a pair of "crossplay underwear" because it wouldn't sag away from my body if my pants were kind of loose, plus it could be washed and reused in a different costume. It's really not all that different from a cod-piece. The difference is sort of like what falsies are to bra padding - one creates the illusion that something is there and the other enhances something that is already there.

Queen Anime 99
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Northern, some people pack to get the male walk down, to feel more like the character, because it's interesting (^_~), because they get to fulfill the "I get to have a penis for a day!" fantasies, and because some people are transgendered and so the packy works for cosplay and real life, etc.

Also, if you're dressed like this guy: http://members.fortunecity.com/heero195/wallpaper13.jpg people will see teh packy. :D

Here is a link to binders and more realistic packys:

http://www.tgcrossroads.org/resources/list.asp?cat=Transition+Products+and+Services&subcat=FTM

Shunko_master
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, some of the more realistic packers scare the daylights out of me.

Scoti
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I think I've joked about trying this but I'm not sure if i could handle the possible embarrassment of run into some people i know while wearing it. I don't know how many times I've seen people i know from school/work/life at cons that I didn't share my hobby with. I can imagine the extra awkwardness of having a fake package on top of everything else I'm wearing XD.

CapsuleCorp
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
It definitely helps get the male walk down. Bigtime. But no, it's not as obvious as other crossdressing methods to change the illusion. If you have a girly face and couldn't fool anyone even when completely bound and dressed, it won't help. But for some, it might just be the little bit they need to feel more like the character, or at least help train them to walk and sit and stand like a guy. It all depends on the level at which you want to pass.

I admit to being lazy and just using a sock for now. :) I have access to a store in this town (very GLBT-friendly, we are) where I could pick up a realistic packer for under $20, so if I want to upgrade, I may as well go the whole nine yards. Costs more, yes, but less effort required. ;)

Karisu-sama
04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
It definitely helps get the male walk down. Bigtime. But no, it's not as obvious as other crossdressing methods to change the illusion.
Having fairly extensively studied "guy walking" for theater (back in the day... :p), my husband says it already freaks him out enough the way I do it, and he'd rather I don't resort to actual packing for crossplay, as he says I seem to manage plenty well without it... :p

But; whatever it takes for each person. :) I'm not actually trying to convince people "without a shadow of a doubt" when they look at "that part of me". ^^ If I ever "need" to... well, I'll decide when/if I ever get there... :)

Northern
04-25-2007, 04:16 PM
The guy walk...I have that downpat, thank god, lol. Its the female walk for modeling that screwes me up...tried it in a fashion show/masqurade...nearly landed on my face. If anyone was at AC3...they know what Im talking about...damn dress >.<

NaraLufflesEd
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Question. Would using two socks balled up into one be just as fine as this method size wise?

CapsuleCorp
06-14-2007, 09:31 PM
That's all I use.

At least until I splurge on a real pack. ;)

If you're just going to do it to add a little dimension and help your walk and stance, and don't really need a potentially realistic-looking or -feeling pack, then socks are fine. Cheap and dirty, but legitimate.