PDA

View Full Version : Very strange hand and foot guards

Shadra D
08-20-2002, 06:23 AM
So I picked out a relatively simple costume for AWA... I really don't like the idea of going to a con without a costumes, since Kurai won't fit in the carpool vehicle at all and.. well, anyway.

So I chose to do a character from Suikoden 2, Wakaba ^_^_V Bui!

Here's a picture of her: http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/img/330/wakaba01.gif

She's cute ^.^

Anyway, her handguards are attached at the wrist and at the fingers.

I'm thinking just making little rings out of whatever vinyl I use for those parts... Anyway, for the tops of the guards, should I use some of that thin carpet foam as padding to make it look right? Or just double the vinyl?

Thoughts on other parts of the costume welcome too, of course ^^

Rosiel
08-20-2002, 09:47 AM
> that thin carpet foam as padding to make it look right?

Yes.

> Or just double the vinyl?

No.

And good luck on it Shad!

Ayaka
08-20-2002, 11:34 AM
There's this stuff called "headliner foam" (apparently) that I'm using for my Chrno costume, it's thin and is backed with this rather nice fuzzy stuff. I think it's the same stuff they use for the ceilings in cars. Possibly more comfortable against the skin than just foam . . . just a suggestion. ^^

Rosiel
08-20-2002, 01:37 PM
I think you need to wrap the whole thing in pleather anyway to achieve the look you need (otherwise if you shift the stuffing will show) so skin would not come in contact with the stuffing anyway.

Wait... stuffing might not be the right words.. isn't this used for turkey? What is the word for quilting?

Shadra D
08-20-2002, 01:47 PM
*laughs!!*

I think the word is 'padding', actually x_x for quilts it is.. uh... ...... I forget e_e;

Kurenai
08-20-2002, 02:37 PM
batting? Batting rocks ^_~

Koumori
08-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Batting, yes indeed. If you're looking for a flat-yet-flexible piece with some sculptural detail, sometimes quilting skills come in handy. I haven't got any, but my mother used to make quilts for a living, so I can prevail upon her. :)