PDA

View Full Version : How strict is CC about hall costumes?

supergeekgirl
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Do they expect them to be hugely elaborate and well-made? I'm afraid of getting picked on because I have some flaws in one of the costumes that I want to wear. Will the other costumers be nasty about it?

GreenFire
03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
As far as I know, no...I've never heard anything from past attendees to indicate that they eyeball hall costumes with as much scrutiny as actual contest competitors. There is a hall contest, yes, but that's strictly at the whims of the judges.

We hope to god not, because some of our hall costumes didn't come out quite perfect...which is why we're not entering the contests!

(CapsuleCorp typing at GreenFire's computer...as we frantically get ready to pack the car and leave!!)

Karisu-sama
04-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Wear what you like in the halls. I do. :) "Simpler" costumes are ALWAYS just fine, and you shouldn't get disparaged. :D It's "Costume Con", not "Only the Most Elaborate Costumes Dare Show Their Faces Con". ^^

supergeekgirl
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know about CC26, but there was an informal one at CC25, which is what we were talking about.

BoinkCoBoy
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Do they expect them to be hugely elaborate and well-made? I'm afraid of getting picked on because I have some flaws in one of the costumes that I want to wear. Will the other costumers be nasty about it?

Absolutely not! Hall Costumes are supposed to be for the fun of it!

Sometimes, we'll dress down a stage costume into a simpler version that can be worn in the halls, and sometimes we just have fun. If you saw me in my TAC Squad 21 uniform on Friday, that was one of those.

There isn't a formal hall costume competition; there are (secret) judges given a pile of Hall Costume Award ribbons that they may hand out at their discretion to anyone they meet whose hall costume (in the judge's opinion) enhances the general costume ambiance at the convention.

(The CC26 committee is armed with its own set of hall costume ribbons that we give out when we go to conventions, in addition to any hall costume recognition a particular convention may be doing.)

Gravely
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Kevin,
Will traditional low key hall costume ribbons still be given out at CC-26?

Folks at any cc or most general sf cons where cc's are advertising, should never be afraid to wear someting fun-cool-easy-comfy in the halls. I've seen a judge hand out a ribbon just for a really wild jacket or vest.

BoinkCoBoy
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Kevin,
Will traditional low key hall costume ribbons still be given out at CC-26?

Folks at any cc or most general sf cons where cc's are advertising, should never be afraid to wear someting fun-cool-easy-comfy in the halls. I've seen a judge hand out a ribbon just for a really wild jacket or vest.

Of course! That's what I was trying to say in my previous post. :toothy:

Gravely
04-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Kevin,
Knowing how you are always about the opening up of events, and incouraging MORE reasons to wear costumes, I assumed as much, just wanted a straight yes for our newer folks.
I was confused by Karisu's comments from the competition co-ordinator.
And that's no slight to her at all, I think we're all still working on language betwen anime cons and general SF cons.

I think CC hall costumes are for joyous purposes. not really about competition. This is a time where we seem to be NOT very competitive with each other.
While there are things worn in the halls that can take your breath away, there are also things that run the gamut from simply cool, to bizarre, to just plain ol' silly.
I always feel that getting/giving a hall ribbon is just a way to say "thanks for taking the time"

CapsuleCorp
04-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I did appreciate being able to wear some of my slightly more interesting though not-quite competition-value costumes in the halls, ribbons or no. I felt like some of the costumes that don't get a fair shake at fandom cons got much more notice just because they were interesting and different. But getting three ribbons out of it was nice too. ;)

I support any reason to wear costumes in the halls, flashy or not. We're really used to it, with anime con culture, but you also see some...um... very much not flashy costumes at anime cons.

BoinkCoBoy
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Kevin,
I was confused by Karisu's comments from the competition co-ordinator.
And that's no slight to her at all, I think we're all still working on language betwen anime cons and general SF cons.

I think CC hall costumes are for joyous purposes. not really about competition. This is a time where we seem to be NOT very competitive with each other.
While there are things worn in the halls that can take your breath away, there are also things that run the gamut from simply cool, to bizarre, to just plain ol' silly.
I always feel that getting/giving a hall ribbon is just a way to say "thanks for taking the time"

Ah! Well, first, for reference, Karisu is my Competitions Division head (coordinator) for CC26. Half her job is to watch for cool ideas that one contest director comes up with and see if it should be applied to others, and if so, share it with the other directors. The other half is to help keep them on schedule and on track as we work to plan our resources use.

Secondly, at many anime conventions there actually is a formal hall costume competition, with prizes, etc. So her comments were to make it clear we aren't doing that.

We will definitely be doing informal hall costume awards of some variety.

Efecss
08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, for me, I am not only going to get my "Costume on" (Dirivitive of fame on), but I am going to get some costumes going from the replicas of the robots from MST-3K I have made. I need to get more parts for Servo, to complete him. He's a bit thin now. I'm hoping to kick ass a bit... I know I will if I can repair Gypsy..., and they let me roll her round... (Check this picture to see what I mean. http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=541055) If not, so be it..

But I know I'm going to need atlest 16 rolls of film for the weekend...

Eurobeat King
02-02-2008, 12:26 AM
If I'm able to make it to the con, since it's not 100% definite yet, if I cosplay you won't see me cosplaying Shinji Ikari, or "drifting" around the con in my Initial D car. ;) The simple costumes, while may be fun, i wouldn't want to wear because I can wear them at other cons. THIS con has a different feel to it, i think. :)

If I do cosplay, the only one I think I would wear would be Hibiki Takane from Last Blade 2 Since I won't have time to wear her (yes, i will be crossplaying haha) at Fanime in May, this would be a little easier con to cosplay at and take pictures at the same time.

Efecss
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I just remembered this after I put away a few things recently form CC12 that I attended.

A saying that was true then, and makes a lot of sense for this thread.

"REMEMBER: NO COSTUME IS NO COSTUME"

Annafantasia
02-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry to butt in with my ignorance, but I'm trying to plan a costume for this and I just wanted to know - what kinds of things do people wear? What genres? Are the levels of talent super daunting? I would assume there's a mishmash of everything... I'm pretty deer-in-the-headlights about it though. : P

Sarcasm-hime
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
It's really a wide variety. A lot of people recycle old competition costumes, while others wear something simple and comfy. It's mainly just to have fun and show off a little, but there's no expectation of any particular skill level and nobody will turn up their nose at you.

From my experience at CC last year, everybody is just happy to see new costumes and will be very friendly. :) I saw original designs, sci-fi and fantasy costumes as well as anime costumes.

BoinkCoBoy
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry to butt in with my ignorance, but I'm trying to plan a costume for this and I just wanted to know - what kinds of things do people wear? What genres? Are the levels of talent super daunting? I would assume there's a mishmash of everything... I'm pretty deer-in-the-headlights about it though. : P

Jwhllyfer de Winter, who is in charge of our hall costume judging, just asked me to post some more information on the website about it, which you can view at: http://www.cc26.info/main.php?section=events&page=othercontests.

It's pretty much anything goes within the basic modesty rules of the convention, although they will be looking out for a "most Evil" hall costume of the day, in keeping with our Evil Genius/Mad Science subtheme.