PDA

View Full Version : Any other old folks going to SC? ^_^

Evilminion
03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Just finished reading the thread about younger folks attending their first convention, and it got me to thinking that I certainly hope hubby and I aren't the only "oldsters" hitting the con this year. Not counting parents who are being dragged along to accompany their con-going kids, are there any 40-somethings attending SC 2007?

And if so, what do you plan to cosplay as? :toothy: There aren't a lot of decent anime/game characters in our age range, so we need to be more creative than the teens, heh.

Rose of Malice
03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
My mom is coming with me and my sister. She's a forty-something lady, but I probably shouldn't spread that around... -__-

RikoBurandetsu
03-31-2007, 11:37 PM
My dad is coming, and he's just over fifty. He's cosplaying as Jiraiya from Naruto. It's great that he's not a 'dragged-along' parent, either, since I'm over eighteen and don't need a chaperon. It's a fun father-daughter outing for two anime geeks!

ndk_carrotglace
04-01-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm not quite up there in age (I'm only 26), but it would be nice to find fellow mid-twentysomethings while traipsing about Sakura Con!

I'm not trying to hijack the thread (seeing as how I'm not quite up there in age); it's just that I'm usually surounded by so many younger people at the convention I usually go to (Nan Desu Kan in Denver) that I'm starting to feel like I'm outgrowing the con scene...so if there might be anyone that fits into my age range, I'd love to hear from you and possibly say hello once Sakura Con starts!

See you in a few days! ^.^

Evilminion
04-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Good lord, it's a Carrot Glaces cosplayer, heehee! Just when I'd convinced myself that I was the only person this side of Japan who actually LIKED that series, too. :) Which day do you plan on wearing that outfit? I'd love to get a photo or two.

And you'll be happy to know that we're bringing along a couple of 20-something friends, so you definitely won't be alone. Don't know yet if they plan to cosplay, though.

ndk_carrotglace
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Good lord, it's a Carrot Glaces cosplayer, heehee! Just when I'd convinced myself that I was the only person this side of Japan who actually LIKED that series, too. :) Which day do you plan on wearing that outfit? I'd love to get a photo or two.

Well, I can definitely say you're not the only Sorcerer Hunters fan on this side of the ocean...and I can most certainly say I've never had a reaction like that before upon seeing my Carrot costume. What a nice reaction; I like it! ^.^

I'm more than willing to give you a photo shot! More than likely, I'll be wearing the anime version of the costume on Friday and the manga version on Sunday. I'm still debating if I'm going to bring along my Marron costume or not...but if I do, keep on the lookout! ^.~

Hopefully our paths will cross! ^.^

Evilminion
04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, if it's worth anything, my vote's for bringing along the Marron costume as well. :) I'd like to get photos of all three!

*still happy as a clam to know there's another Bakuretsu Hunters fan out there* :bigtu:

For now, though, back to embroidering all the lines on my hubby's Auron belt. I've been stitching on that thing all day, and I'm starting to go just a liiiiiiittle bit wonky.

ndk_carrotglace
04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, if it's worth anything, my vote's for bringing along the Marron costume as well. :) I'd like to get photos of all three!

*still happy as a clam to know there's another Bakuretsu Hunters fan out there* :bigtu:

Yes, yes...Bakuretsu Hunter...how silly of me... ^.^;

You're the second--or is it third?--person nudging me to bring Marron along. I'll see if he can fit into my suitcase. ^.~

If the suitcase stuffing goes well, I'll be much easier to spot in the Marron costume; just look for the stuffed yellow carrot (yes, a "carrot" plushie! ^.^) and you'll find me (of course, I usually have said plushie with me regardless, so I guess I'll be easy to spot all around).

kolibri
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Well I'm not quite 40-something but me and my hubby are 30-somethings - does that count? Should we have an "old fart" meet-up? ;)

My hubby is doing one old skool cosplay (Fist of the North Star) but otherwise we're doing pretty new ones, Ergo Proxy and Naruto.

Panda-chan
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
My hubby and I are in the same age group as kolibri. We are thirty-somethings and we'll be there in cosplay of course! I think it would be fun to hang with some older con goers that are there because THEY want to be, not just because their kids need a guardian. :rolleyes:

kolibri
04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Ooh Panda-chan, I'd love to hang out with you guys - I've been loving your costumes for a long time :) Your Ururu costume is my special favourite!

This is our first Sakura-con so I don't really know what the place is like - suggest a time and a place and we'll be there. Maybe Friday afternoon, or something like that?

Eurobeat King
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Not quite 40 yet, but I will be when SakuraCon 2011 arrives.. ;)

folkeye
04-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Well we're not old...but being at these conventions with mostly teens makes one feel that way. LOL, myself and my friends are 27years + (my mom will be attending with me just to see what its all about and take some pictures. So she counts as an old one...^_^ , just don't tell HER that... haha ) I'm cosplaying as Albel Nox from Star Ocean 3, and Kadaj from Final Fantasy Advent Children (check my gallery for photos). My friend is doing Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War, and Yazoo from Advent Children. Her hubby is coming as Loz from Advent Children and perhaps one other costume if he is in the mood or not on Friday :) if you see us, feel free to come socialize :D As for costume age range, just look for something flattering.

Evilminion
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Heehee! I guess anyone who looks at the vast majority of con-goers and says, "damn, they look younger every year" qualifies as fellow old folks. If you'd like to say howdy on Saturday, just look for the tall, handsome bloke dressed as Auron from FFX and the short, portly blind gal dressed as Vivi from FFIX. (Even if there are 50 Vivis at the con, I'll be the only one with a white cane, heh... easy to spot!)

All in all, I'm just relieved to discover that we won't be completely alone in a sea of youth. :D :D

kolibri
04-04-2007, 05:32 PM
It's not that we're old, it's that they're young. ;)

Panda-chan
04-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Ooh Panda-chan, I'd love to hang out with you guys - I've been loving your costumes for a long time :) Your Ururu costume is my special favourite!

This is our first Sakura-con so I don't really know what the place is like - suggest a time and a place and we'll be there. Maybe Friday afternoon, or something like that?
Ah thanks! *hugs* At some point during the con I'll be in my Ururu costume and my hubby will be dressed as Tessai. We should be pretty easy to spot. LOL

We definitely have to meet up and visit. ^_^ Sakura-con is so much fun and with the larger space of the convention center it's even better. There are so many great places for cosplay pictures. They have lots of large signs so it is really easy to find your way around. Of course just wandering around people watching is lots of fun too.

All us oldies should get together so we can shake our canes and yell at them youngins about keepin' off the lawn! :p

DJCheezy
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Almost 21 years, and feel old as hell XD

Edit: Anyone willing to spot me $30 for friday ?
Gah I wanna go so bad, been looking forward to this all year.
Stupid bills! XD

kolibri
04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Cool! I'm cosplaying as Re-l from Ergo Proxy on Friday and my husband is doing Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star - these might not be easy to spot if you don't know the series. But on Satuday we're doing Tsunade and Jiraiya from Naruto, especially my husband with his huge white hair and a gigantic scroll should be difficult to miss ;)

Are you guys going to the Bleach photoshoot on Friday? I was going to check that out anyway. Can't wait to see your hubby's Tessai costume :D

Here are the photoshoot schedules:

http://www.aweatherston.com/images/SK-Photo-Schedule.jpg

Evilminion
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Gah, I'm getting REALLY worried now. Both the lady who made hubby's wig and the leather armorsmith who built my gi-huge-ic Vivi hat waited until the absolute wire before shipping, and with the con starting tomorrow, I'm still missing a vital part of each of our costumes. Unless they miraculously show up today, all the late nights and hard work I've done on these outfits will be for squat. Hurts doubly because in each case, I sent the commission months ago.

Not that we won't just go to the con anyway, but it would be incredibly depressing to leave our costumes at home.

Gaaahhhhhhhhh. >_<

kolibri
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Argh, I feel your pain :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll arrive today! I was looking forward to seeing your handsome Auron, my husband wants to cosplay him next and I've promised to make the costume for him.

Finding good commissioners can be a pain, I've pretty much decided that if I can't sew it, or hubby can't construct it, it's easier - or at least less stressful - to choose another costume. Really annoying, especially if you've been on time and they are late.

Anyway, if you spot us, please don't hesitate to come and talk to us!

ndk_carrotglace
04-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Gah, I'm getting REALLY worried now. Both the lady who made hubby's wig and the leather armorsmith who built my gi-huge-ic Vivi hat waited until the absolute wire before shipping, and with the con starting tomorrow, I'm still missing a vital part of each of our costumes. Unless they miraculously show up today, all the late nights and hard work I've done on these outfits will be for squat. Hurts doubly because in each case, I sent the commission months ago.

Not that we won't just go to the con anyway, but it would be incredibly depressing to leave our costumes at home.

Gaaahhhhhhhhh. >_<

Oh no! I hope everything comes in on time (even though I'm typing this after day one of SakuraCon is over...) and that you get to enjoy your costumes to their fullest--and complete--extent!

I did wear my anime version Carrot Glace costume today, but I doubt that I was seen by anyone because I spent most of my time in lines (one hour for pre-reg, three hours while supervising a walk-in reg accompaniment)...but I'll probably break out manga version of Carrot tomorrow and/or possibly Sunday. With anime version Carrot getting so little face time (and even less recognition), the chance that it could actually return on Sunday is small, but there nonetheless.

I'll have the plushie carrot with me when I'm in costume, so look for the bright yellow plushie goodness!

Oogieone
04-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, my Hubby and I went today (Saturday) and it was so fun! I am 31 and my husband is 32. I saw plenty of people there that were older than we were....I didn't feel old at all. It seemed most people were within 7-10 year of our age so it wasn't uncomfortable. But, I say...if you have fun, who cares what other people think. I know my husband and I will be going to anime conventions forever! I love seeing those 60-80 year olds dressing up! It's great! I hope I'm still going strong at that age! :bigtu:

Evilminion
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
To our absolute shock, everything arrived just in time for the con, and after I pulled an all-nighter Friday to finish the detail work, we actually managed to go in costume on Saturday. It was fantastic!! :bigtu: SO many people, though! I looked for our resident Carrot all weekend, but sadly didn't manage to spot him. Did run into another 30-something couple, so we had fun comparing notes and watching all the great costumes go by. And hubby looked AMAZING in his Auron costume! The highlight of the con for him was turning a corner and encountering a knot of young girls, who started squealing "SIR AURON" and mobbing him. It was so very cute. My own favorite moment was being glomped by a two-year-old Vivi fan. The way she toddled over, carefully hugged my legs, and then toddled so happily back to daddy made every bit of work and frustration worthwhile.

Great convention!!

ndk_carrotglace
05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I looked for our resident Carrot all weekend, but sadly didn't manage to spot him.

That's a shame that our paths didn't cross all weekend. T.T I was babysitting someone there while I was in the Carrot costume on Friday, and I was also in the Carrot costume at the Masquerave on Saturday...but sadly, we didn't run into each other. Too bad; I was really looking forward to meeting you!

Next year, for sure! I'll be back! ^_^

kelsey uchiha
05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
sorry guys, but i'm only 13 and it was my first 'con!!!!!but my mom came and had a great time going as tsunade and she is well.....u know.........