PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Info 2007, yo!

Tikki
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey! I just notice folks posting on last year's thread. Let's bump it on over to here then, just to avoid any confusion.

Not much is different from last year to this one, but for one BIG change. The Hall Contest attracts roughly 2-3 times the entries as our Saturday night Masquerade, and is steadly growing. To accomodate the size and many scheduling changes this year with the convention events, I've passed on the reins of the Hall Contest to my dedicated staffers, Greg & Leah King. They will be running the contest on site, and if you want info on our Hall Contest, here's the updated link: http://www.animemidatlantic.com/hallcontest.html

As for the Masquerade, we are still finalizing a lot of details. I'm hoping to secure a dedicated spot for the registration sheets to be picked up/dropped off, as well as announced times on the website, etc. The Head of Programming and I discussed on line preregistration during our last meeting, but we plan to fully utilize that next year. This year, we will (hopefully soon!) have a pdf file of the registration form available for download so you can fill it out and bring it with you to the convention.

Now, to answer the questions recently asked:

Necrobug & Ryu100: We're trying to get a file available on our site so you can download the registration form. No preregistration forms will be available this year. Honestly, we never have more than 20 skits and my cap is 30... Trust me, you'll get in as long as you turn your reg on time at the con.

Gogglegirl: Rehearsal is mandatory for all competitors. That's when I assign entry numbers and pass out my AMA cosplay badges. The badges have two purposes: a) They will have all the pertinent times and locations for all Masquerade related events (such as Craftsmanship judging, line-up, etc.), b) Security will be checking for those specific badges when you arrive for Line-up in Main Events. You need to be present at the Rehearsal at the beginning, stay long enough to get your competitor's badge and entry #, and at least one practice on the stage. Once you're done with that, you're free to leave until you report back for Line-up.

If you or anyone else has other quetions, please let me know. I'll have panel and workshop information in about a month or so once I work out a lot of stuff with my judges, panelists and staff.
Tikki

Star_Angel
04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the update Tikki! can't wait for this year!

Ryuu_
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Good to know and yes hopefully this year we will have something to put registration forms in other than a cardboard box. Also, hopefully staff are aware of the location of said spot.

Tikki
04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Good to know and yes hopefully this year we will have something to put registration forms in other than a cardboard box. Also, hopefully staff are aware of the location of said spot.

Oh, we've always used a box of some sort. The issue that always comes up is that I give a general cosplay FAQ to staff for the Info table and between that meeting and the con, the information is lost. And any arrangement I've made is now moot, so I get frantic calls from other staffers wondering where I am and what's going on, when all they REALLY need to do is read the program guide, check the schedule and reference the registration forms & rules on their table. Honestly, I start to wonder just how hard it is to ask people to read something first, THEN ask questions.

Depending on my staff, I might actually have the manpower to leave someone at the info booth on Saturday morning to take in questions and wrap things up when registration ends. But we'll see what other events are scheduled to see who I can spare... a lot of things are overlapping this year between panels, rehearsal, the Hall Contest and all sorts of stuff, so we can accomodate an early Masquerade. It's starting at 6 PM this year, instead of the usual 7-8 PM time slot. *sighs* Not enough hours in the day!
Tikki

Tikki
04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Okay folks! Just got back from our latest AMA staff meeting and I've got a lot of info... most of which you guys can just read up on the website! But here's a brief on some changes this year.

Hall Costume Contest:
We are allowing all media genres this year! That means Harry Potter, Trekkies, LOTR, historical, original designs/chracters, any video game... yes, anything will be acceptable in the Hall Contest for the first time. BUT (!!!) please bring reference images for the judges!
And just for the folks that gloss over the rules (we had a LOT last year who didn't bother to read...), costumes that are commissioned are NOT allowed! If it is made mostly of store-bought items with little alterations, sorry, have fun with those in the convention. The contest is soley about craftsmanship and only the makers of a costume may receive any awards.
Registration forms will be available only in the location of the Hall Contest, which will be announced on the website in the upcoming weeks as the programming schedule is finalized. http://www.animemidatlantic.com/hallcontest.html

Masquerade:
...Um, same as last year? I've tidied up the rules a bit so just check 'em out. And to be VERY clear, if you did not make your costume, you are not eligible for craftsmanship judging. However, you are still allowed to perform a skit and be judged on your presentation.
http://www.animemidatlantic.com/cosplay.html

I'll get more info up about panels 'n stuff in the next few weeks as I finalize that with my panelist buds... :toothy:

strawbryshuichi
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the update!!! <33333

Tikki
04-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Welcome! The updates also have links to AMA's weapon's policy, so hopefully folks will check that out BEFORE they email me with questions about props...
:)
Tikki

Haruka_Tenou
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Tikki, I have a question? For the karoake, can we sing whatever we please or is there a rule we have to sing what comes up?

Also, will the doors be locked for the skits if they began?

Tikki
04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Uh... that came from left field... :confused:

I don't do karaoke. It has nothing to do with cosplay...!!! As far as I know, AMA's karaoke is run just like it is at Neko or Katsu. You pick your song, just follow the guidelines. There's probably a sign-up list you'll have to deal with at the convention. Is there nothing on the AMA website about it?

And as for locking doors, that would be a massive fire hazard and illegal! So no, no locked doors. You just may have trouble finding seating if you come to the masquerade after it's already began.
Tikki

Ryuu_
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Quick question. Do you have to wear the costume you are using for the masquerade to rehearsal?

Nekko
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Thats a good one... I was just planning on wearing my Kiba hoodie with jeans...

Blasphamy!

dizzylizzy
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Quick question. Do you have to wear the costume you are using for the masquerade to rehearsal?

Unless Tikki is changing it this year, no. Though, it's always good to practice it in costume... at least for me. ^^;; Be sure to check back for her answer!!

Tikki
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
It's not mandatory to wear your costume for rehearsal, but if you have any costume parts that can hinder your movement or vision, bring that with you so you can get a feel of moving on the stage with 'em.
Got a mask? Wear it and check your vision and range. Got platform shoes or spike heels? Walk on the stage and feel the traction and guage your speed. Wearing some huge costume? Bring the largest bits to make sure you won't knock anything over getting on and off stage. Just be practical!

Please make sure that if you plan to have your costume judged for craftsmanship that you mark the reg form correctly and are in full costume for pre-judging.
Tikki

Ryuu_
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
That's good to hear. It makes things alot less hectic for me. I guess I'll just bring the mask with me then. Now I won't have to leave the photoshoot early to switch costumes.

And we know that you don't want to leave a photoshoot early.

Con-freak
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
iv trie demailing the email on the site but got no replay so ill ask here,

For the pre registration can we right down that info on like apiec eof paper and send it with the money order or must we print the form out?

Tikki
05-11-2007, 10:29 PM

For the pre registration can we right down that info on like apiec eof paper and send it with the money order or must we print the form out?

What registration are you talking about? For the convention? The registration section on the site: http://www.animemidatlantic.com/reg.html pretty much explains all that you need to do. Read it carefully and follow the instructions. There is a deadline for pre-reg and it must be post-marked by May 14th.

As for cosplay related stuff, there is NO pre-registration. It's all done on site at the con. Hall Cosplay registration is in the assigned room, during the alloted times only. The Masquerade registration is available and must be turned in at the tables in front of Con Ops. That's the arrangement this year and that is already on the website as well.
Tikki

Con-freak
05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
on the site it says write it on form above what i was asking was do i need to print out this form or can i writ eit on a piece of paper?

and the site says by may 30th not 14th? which is it im confused lol

NeoLunaAngel
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
on the site it says write it on form above what i was asking was do i need to print out this form or can i writ eit on a piece of paper?

and the site says by may 30th not 14th? which is it im confused lol

Con-freak,

I'm sure that the registration staff would not return your money if you choose to write your information on a seperate sheet of paper, but they would probably prefer it if you printed out the form they provide and sent that in.

So, to answer your question, it's really up to you.

As far as the dates are concerned, the US Postal Office is changing the price of sending mail on the 14th of May. The nice people at AMA Pre-reg were just reminding us of that fact.

The deadline for Pre-reg is MAY 30th.

I hope that answers your question. ^_^

AS for me, I can't wait to cosplay at AMA ^_^

Con-freak
05-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Con-freak,

I'm sure that the registration staff would not return your money if you choose to write your information on a seperate sheet of paper, but they would probably prefer it if you printed out the form they provide and sent that in.

So, to answer your question, it's really up to you.

As far as the dates are concerned, the US Postal Office is changing the price of sending mail on the 14th of May. The nice people at AMA Pre-reg were just reminding us of that fact.

The deadline for Pre-reg is MAY 30th.

I hope that answers your question. ^_^

AS for me, I can't wait to cosplay at AMA ^_^ yes it does thanks a million! an di cant wait either lol

Reiko
05-13-2007, 11:39 PM

print out the form and fill it out. send MO and form to the Addy :)

Chibi_Misao1
05-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanx Tikki so much for all the updates!

Question. I know I sent an email to the staff about the skit I was planning(FF9, jazz theme, throwing off top hats, yea lolz!). But, to make it clear, are the skit sign ups first come first serve? When and Where? I just want to make sure just in case if my group and I do come up with a different skit to do.

Thanx again!!! <3

-Kitty

Tikki
05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Sign-ups for the Masquerade will be located in the tables in front of Convention Ops. The Hall Contest is on site in their designated room, so go there to register and have costumes checked...
I think that's it!
Tikki