PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for cosplay at harajuku or akihabara?

Nagisacureblack
04-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I am in tokyo, and I want to snap a couple of photos in my costume anyone interested?

usagi5

Michi
04-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I deleted your duplicate thread and changed the title of this one. The Japan forum is not so big that you need two threads with the same topic, just covering a different area of Tokyo. :thumbsup:

-Name_Taken-
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
i actually have a question about harajuku, maybe you can answer it...im gonna be in Japan may 16-20th and i was gonna spend some time in Harajuku, but I'm not sure if i should dress up in street fashion n stuff, b/c im a foreigner, I've also heard that they don't cosplay at Harajuku Station, it's about fashion, and individualism, not anime, I have no idea whether or not this is true, just wanted to know ahead of time, because I would really like to have some fun in Harajuku, and talk to some of the local teenagers.

Michi
04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think there's any street cosplay in Japan that's about anime. I've only heard about visual kei dress-up times. :x

tara_davis
04-04-2007, 11:32 PM
i actually have a question about harajuku, maybe you can answer it...im gonna be in Japan may 16-20th and i was gonna spend some time in Harajuku, but I'm not sure if i should dress up in street fashion n stuff, b/c im a foreigner, I've also heard that they don't cosplay at Harajuku Station, it's about fashion, and individualism, not anime, I have no idea whether or not this is true, just wanted to know ahead of time, because I would really like to have some fun in Harajuku, and talk to some of the local teenagers.

In Harajuku, especially on weekend afternoons, you can see some really, really wild-looking outfits. And people dressed in such outfits are happy to pose for pictures most of the time, too.

However, almost none of it is cosplay. It's just their preferred weekend street fashion statements.

If you want to see cosplay (outside of specific cosplay events), go to Akihabara, where girls sometimes wear all kinds of cosplay while handing out fliers for the pachinko parlors.

If you want to dress up yourself, you might want to save that experience for your second or third visit to Japan, when you feel more comfortable with your understanding of the cultural landscape.

As a general rule of thumb, MOST (not all) Japanese people get a big kick out of Western gaijin participating (or doing their best to participate in) their local culture, customs and rituals. So mistakes will probably be tolerated and regarded with fairly light-hearted amusement.

But it's probably best not to do so until you feel you've somewhat got the hang of it. You wouldn't want to accidently make anybody feel that you might be making fun of them.

DreamKydd
04-05-2007, 11:01 AM
yeah.. i wouldn't cosplay in japan unless its an actual anime convention.. and cosplaying on the streets in akihabara... .. just leave it to the girls who get paid to do it. ^___^ tara davis is right... you wouldn't want anybody to feel that you might be making fun of them.

Nagisacureblack
04-06-2007, 12:13 AM
hello everyone:

I actually did a hanami-lolita costume and joined my japanese friends at hanami party in ueno. I was careful though to make my costume very tasteful that is , I observed people around me and asked my friends about what would be proper and improper way to wear something in japan for a party and hanami.I also remembered to aske dmy friends for their opinion of my costume before going there.After they all agreed we chaged into our clothes in a bathroom then we sat in a place were if someone wanted to take pictures they could without causing anyone else trouble. My friend also asked a policeman if it would be ok if we wore our outfits to which he said yes as long as we remember not to drink too much or bother other people, with that we sat and enjoyed the cherry blossom viewing. After a few moments a NHK camera crew noticed our group and interviewed my friends (i was too shy to use my poor japanese). and soon after people stared to ask to take a pictures.
It was all very fun.because we remembered that as long as we behaved properly everyone else will aprove of us.
One thing to remember though is that if you are not sure of something ask.

As far as akihabara goes people I saw were not in costume. but I saw 3 girls wearing maid outfits, who probably worked at the maid cafe.
I asked to take their picture and they said ok but, just one because remember, they are working.

Harajuku is very fun, I think on saturdays is fun to see the NANA style and Street lolitas. Except for a few naturo I saw nothing but puffy skirts and pink hair.
I was able to wear my nana costume style and I fit right in.

As far as animation cosplay I also think that at conventions is the best.

-Name_Taken-
04-09-2007, 11:49 AM
thanks everyone, i think if i was gonna dress up at all in harajuku id probably wear my ff sora costume, w/ some cool looking contacts or something w/o the keyblades, cuz i wouldnt be wearing it as a cosplay, lol, i wear it as a stage costume for my band, thats where i got the idea to take it to harajuku ^_^, but yea ill probably talk to my friend from Tokyo, and walk around harajuku first, before deciding whether it would be ok for me to wear it, im not worried about the language barrier either, i can speak some Japanese, and my friend speaks English and Japanese, and i'll probably be hanging out with her a lot while im in Tokyo.

jHYtse
04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
doesn't a lot of people in lolita style outfits gather around Harajuku station, near the entrance of the Meiji Shrine on Sunday afternoons? Cuz that's when i see the most people there posing for cameras.

Yukani-chan
04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
yes leave cosplay to the anime cons and such.
And also i agree with what others say, take a few visits before you dress up.
I been to japan alot and china and they are different.
but when i visit i just do the thing i always do. be myself. and show japan my fashon taste =^.^= ! im school teacher in china but when i do travel and stuff and am out of class i have a good sence i think and in Harajuku fashon is what it is all about! :schitzo:

Validar
07-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Ya, I wemt to Harajuku on a saturday with my friends and saw maybe three other people in costume, lucky for me I was in clouds advent children outfit (no sword) so I wasn't completely out of place. Someone handing out flyers told me that the big days were sundays, probably becouse most people are don't work or go to school that day.

Michi
07-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Please check the date of the thread before posting. This thread is more than a year old. While the discussion can still be valid, there's no need to bring up such an old thread.