PDA

View Full Version : Cheap an' easy kunai bag tutorial(Pictures)

Rhapsodey
04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I was having problmes getting a kunai bag for my upcoming Sakura costume, and then I relised that I had things to make my own. It may be cheap and look cheap, too, but come on! Having a completly hand made costume makes me feel pretty good. :3 Here's how I did it:

Stuff you'll need:
-Pocky boxes(Stawberry, caramel, grape...anything in the smaller, thiner packaging)
-Black and blue paint
-Paint brushes
-Refrence pics
-Hot glue gun
-Cardboard
-Black fabric(You don't REALLY need this, but it makes thing look better)
-Strap + snap/velcro to keep it on your leg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0631.jpg

1. Paint the boxes with the first layer. This layer can either be black or blue, it doesn't matter. I started with blue.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0633.jpg

2. Let that dry. Paint the second either blue or black, depending on what your first was. If it was black, use blue and get it over with. If you did what I did, use blue and then one more blue.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0634.jpg
(This shows it partly done, firat layer and second.)

3. Now it's take to cut out the back. Take a piece of cardboard and trace a rouch outline of the boxes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0638.jpg
Cut around the outline. Trust me, this helps. Now keeping atleast one box on the cardboard, cut out the true shape of the back. But be REALLY careful not to cut the paint off. It may sound stupid, but it's the one thing I didn't think would happen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0639.jpg

4. Cut that piece of black fabric to fit on and around the piece of cardboard(Paint the back the blue-black color if you don't use fabric and skip the next step). It won't really matter if you don't cover the back. If it bugs you, cut a smaller piece and cover it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0640.jpg

5. Once you have that done, it's time to glue the fabric on. Take your hot glue gun and extra sticks(I used about 2 and a half for this) and glue the fabric done CAREFULY. Everything needs to be down and flat. You may burn your fingers doing this, mind you.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0641.jpg
The following pictures are what my cardboard looked like after it was glued:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0642.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0643.jpg

6. Now take the now painted and hopefuly dry Pocky boxes and put glue, LOTS of glue, on the back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0644.jpg
If you want coverage ideas, here's one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0645.jpg

7. Once the glue is dry or the boxes won't move, stand back and be glad you just made your own Pcoky kunai bag. =3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/Rhapsodey/100_0647.jpg

While I have not completely finished this bag, you can make snaps for the front of the bag and it is a must that you get straps for you to wear this on your leg with either the snaps or velcro.

Have fun and good luck! =D

[EDIT]
Um...wow. ._. I wasn't expceting this much praise for my all of 30-35 minuets of work. But thank you all and you're very welcome! Glad you all enjoy it! =3

I wasn't able to get any finished pictures up of what it looked like with the costume. That's mainly because I've been lazy. Oh so very lazy... And forgetful. XD

Anyway, after much hard and endless hours of sreaching... -kicks Photobucket away- ... I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND ANY. D: Unless someone saw me at Sakura Con, you won't be able to see it. Sorry!

Hatake_Kakashi
05-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! I am crossplaying as Kakashi this year and my group and I needed some of those. Do have any ideas on how to make the shuriken pouch? I don't want to buy them because I know I can make them.

Thanks Again!

Annie-Mei
05-20-2007, 06:36 PM
that is way freaking awesome. good job on the tutorial and good job on taking your average everyday things to make something useful and cheaply too.

Sexy Kat-Kashi
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
woa im going 2 do that since i need one for my SnJ Kakashi fully clothed version thanks for is thread

Sakura_Chang
05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
wow. that's awesome! if i was going to be making mine i'd sooo use this xD never would have though pocky boxes haha.

but walmart sells the set of both types of pouches with kunai and shuriken. XD i'm going the easy route lol

Hatake_Kakashi
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
wow. that's awesome! if i was going to be making mine i'd sooo use this xD never would have though pocky boxes haha.

but walmart sells the set of both types of pouches with kunai and shuriken. XD i'm going the easy route lol

Really?!?! I need to check that out then...

Sexy Kat-Kashi
05-20-2007, 10:25 PM

ill check that out if i m either stupid and cant fidn em or they dont have em im making mine then

Sakura_Chang
05-20-2007, 11:48 PM
lol they sell it in the toy section. but every walmart is different. so check around for the Ben 10 stuff. should be near that. or the pirates of the cari. toys. they sell it for like 14$ and the headbands for 7$ but they are cheap plastic.

cybertrooper
05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
whoa, thats cool!! it utilizes the the potential of pocky!!

Hatake_Kakashi
05-29-2007, 04:58 PM
whoa, thats cool!! it utilizes the the potential of pocky!!

YAY for pocky!!!!!

hunny.bunniee
05-30-2007, 10:44 PM
i also bought it at walmart n_n;; but this is a great idea!

Sexy Kat-Kashi
06-10-2007, 12:51 AM
i looked at wal mart foudn em and i didnt get em cause they look so cheap

CezzaXV
06-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Does anyone actually have any reference pictures? I can't find any anywhere.

Please help!

Sakura_Chang
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
D: walmart is getting rid of their naruto line D: i didn't get my set yet!!! lol. either i'll find them online or i'll have to make mine >.> i probably will have scrap blue material after i chop my pants to my knees for hinata....now for teh pocky! :Q yum.

Hatake_Kakashi
06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
i looked at wal mart foudn em and i didnt get em cause they look so cheap

they are okay, easy to put on, only one pocket in leg one- in the anime I think they have only one, or just in the beginning-, small kunai, and all the kunai and shuriken have the naruto logo on them and are rubber (but thats fine cuz u cant bring metal to cons)

but they arnt cheap as in, the holsters and weapons will break easily
Plus- you get both holsters, kunai, daggers, and shuriken for $15 and I've seen just the holsters for $20+ on ebay and other online stores

that sounded a lot like a sales pitch (i think thats what they're called) but I m just saying its a good deal, and okay quality :toothy:

Sakura_Chang
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
exactly why i wanted them. you can't bring the real deal to a con. and you can always destress them to make them look better. or something like that.plus the holster looks great to use. i'm just not sure if it'll fit around my legs lol

Honey Usagi-chi
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM
lol they sell it in the toy section. but every walmart is different. so check around for the Ben 10 stuff. should be near that. or the pirates of the cari. toys. they sell it for like 14$ and the headbands for 7$ but they are cheap plastic.
If they sell it at walmart then why do they sell it at conventions with jacked up prices? *dies* XP

sacredtrainer
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM

those are made for little kids who like action shows, and have no particular interest in cosplaying. they look really cheep so i would'nt use them.

ditto on the headband too. it's too small to look like the real thing.

Sakura_Chang
06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
yeah but the "real" ones are METAL. you can't take those to cons.

it's just an easy prop. who cares if they are plastic. i think they look better than the cardboard ones any day.

Honey- they sell the metal ones. the ones from walmart are plastic.

if nothing else people could use them as a base to mold resin ones themselves or just to add onto them. i'd probably wrap mine with real cloth. maybe spray paint them a metal color.

instantramen
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I've seen people wear the real headbands at Cons, including me and my friends. They even sell them at Comic Con. Anyway... I was looking for this tutorial :D I have so many pocky boxes at home O-o;

babbittaacc
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
This is great! And so smart! But we all know what the best part of this tutorial is, getting the empty pocky boxes. :3 Mmm Pocky.

Rhapsodey
09-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the tutorial! I am crossplaying as Kakashi this year and my group and I needed some of those. Do have any ideas on how to make the shuriken pouch? I don't want to buy them because I know I can make them.

Thanks Again!

Sorry for a late reply. Just goes to show that I post something and then never check up on it. ._.

I had my bag knitted and felted. I would look on Google though.

BUT LOOK OUT.

They have cheap looking ones that with the Naruto logo. Same with kunai bags if the one you make from this fall apart.

And they do fall apart easily. I wore mine only three times to Sakura Con and the paint was wearing off, the boxes got slightly smashed, and they're kinda falling off the fabric. ._. But that's what you get for making CHEAP things with glue and Pocky boxes. XD

MidniteSunshine
02-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Cool tutorial even if I didn't follow it exactly. Instead, I took a green tea pocky box, covered it all black fabric(using a hot glue gun, of course), cut off the little flaps on the inside. Then, I used little velcro patch circle thingies that I hot glued(not really necessary, but a little extra security never hurts) onto the large flap that closes it and to the box that it closes onto and attached a strap that fits 'round my thigh to the back...and voila!

I must give you credit however, I never would have dreamed of using pocky boxes for a shuriken holster. Really great idea.

BeckieLyn
02-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Now I can add pocky to my shopping list! Mmmm pocky :D. I wonder if you covered the whole box in fabric afterwards it would keep it together a little more... I can always buy more pocky and experiment. XD

Rhapsodey
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Wow. o_o I never thought about putting fabric over the boxes. xDD I did it half as a joke, half "OHGODIHAVETWODAYSTILTHECON" type of prop. ._. I need to make a new one, so I'll defently look into trying that. : D Thanks, guys!

MidniteSunshine
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Wow. o_o I never thought about putting fabric over the boxes. xDD I did it half as a joke, half "OHGODIHAVETWODAYSTILTHECON" type of prop. ._. I need to make a new one, so I'll defently look into trying that. : D Thanks, guys!

Yeah, fabric looks pretty good. I'd upload some photos of the one I did but I need to find my camera first...

madara009
05-12-2008, 08:03 PM
thats a good idea but since there is only one holster (from what i`ve seen) i would use one chocolate box because it is larger and at target they have relly good looking metal head bands (i think there metal) and theres all sorts of different kinds like konoha itachi rock lee Sunagakure damaged konoha and damaged sunagakure mist and sound plus there pretty cheap

wanabecosplayer
05-17-2008, 12:55 PM
ive never had pockey.... ive never seen it either...

aliceinbox
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM
pocky!! lol
it looks great thanks for sharing ^^

Aya-chan :)
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
with all the pocky boxes around my house i could make thousands of those o.0
:3
THANXXXXXXXXX!!!!! :D

Aya-chan :)
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
ive never had pockey.... ive never seen it either...

HOW DO YOU LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE WITHOUT POCKY! :eek::bigcry::lost::waaaah::eek:
I couldnt possibly live without it!!!

gaaragirl87
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I just got done making three kunai pouches using this method..thanks for posting it!!!.. plus all that pocky was yummm! lol..

alicehana
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM
lol,very nice tutorial . :)