PDA

View Full Version : I ate pocky! ^^

Dr. Makoti Jean
08-21-2002, 12:42 PM
There is a store near my cousin's house. It is an Asian supermarket and sold tons of friggen pocky! I got the chocolate flavoure and it cost me $1.49. OOOOHHHH man it was SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO friggen GOOOOODDD! I'm a go back and get strawberry! ^_^
hehehe I just had to let it out.

Yggdrasil Pie
08-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Pooooooooocccccccckkkkkkkyyyyyyy!

I live near like 4 Asian supermarkets... the pocky supplies are endless!!

Oshi
08-21-2002, 02:37 PM
*whines, having never tasted pocky...* ;_;

Yggdrasil Pie
08-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Never tasted pocky...?! How can this be? o_O

Go out and get some! ^^

Haruka
08-21-2002, 04:14 PM
what? and otaku who has never tasted pocky? is that like a sin or something?

KuroBara
08-21-2002, 04:15 PM
mmm...I'm a fan of coconut! There's an HKT about half an hour away from me, and they know me by name there, lol!

Tenjou
08-21-2002, 04:17 PM
There isn't any Asian supermarkets around my place, but hey, there's my favorite record store (where I could live forever *_*) but they got POCKYYYYYY! ^^:: hehe, even my mom likes it. I bought a box for $2.25 (a little overpriced ^^::). it was chocolate, the only kind I think they had. there was meltykiss and another kind too, which I'll be getting soon. ^^ there's a 2-cashier counter, and the whole counter has allllllll types of candy! *_* not to mention low-price cds, tapes, and vinyl, but toys, manga and t-shirts *_________*

Space Invader
08-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Coconut definetely has to be my favorite. The crushed almond kind is really good too, but if you're allergic to nuts steer clear of it - its packed with 'em. There are tons of other good candy stuffs out there as well - one of my favorites is a sampler pack you can get - it was 5 little boxes of different chocolate candy in it - some strawberry chocolate pyramid-shaped things, chocolate-covered coffee beans (taste WAY better than the american ones, they aren't so strong), m&m type candies, more m&m type candies but they have strawberry chocolate inside (THESE ARE THE BEST!!! I'm not kidding), and these little chocolate things that resemble itty-bitty tootsie rolls. They're all quite delicious, but I wouldn't reccommend eating them all in one setting, like I did *sweatdrop*. I paid for that later...

Sami
08-21-2002, 04:50 PM
I haven't had Pocky in.. so long.. ;_; *sniffles* I haven't found any good stores out here yet. I'm hopelessly addicted to the strawberry ones.. <3 <3

Haha, Space Invader, I've had those before! XD I LOVE those m&m things with the strawberry chocolate inside!!! I only wish I could have found a bigger box of those... *_______*

Mei Lan Chang
08-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Speaking of tasty cookie sticks, has anyone every tried something very similar called Yan Yan? It's like pocky, but bigger, and instead of being an already frosted cookie stick, there are unfrosted cookie sticks with do it yourself dip frosting. I love it!

Rosiel
08-21-2002, 04:54 PM
I'll put in my vote for Men's pocky, it's the best kind!

I still wonder why it's called /men's/ though... what is so manly about chocolate? (I actually have an AX picture of myself as Rosiel brandishing Men's pocky... it was hilarious.)

Studmaster
08-21-2002, 05:10 PM
Pocky is good stuff, I love it on occassion. However, I don't think its the God of Snack Foods though. Give me Tortilla Chips and Salsa any day.

Dr. Makoti Jean
08-21-2002, 05:14 PM
Ya! I brought Yan Yan also! They kind of remind me of Dunkaroos. o.O Yan Yan and pocky are like my number one fave candy now! ^^

Yggdrasil Pie
08-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Yan Yan!!!! I remember having those when I was reeeeeeally young!! ^^

Favorite pocky...? Hmm... I don't know what to call it...I doesn't have an english name... I call it... Flan Pocky... 'cause it tastes like Flan... ^^;;;

Tenshisama
08-21-2002, 06:32 PM
ohhhhhhhhh I had yanyan when I was younger too ^_^
my current favorite pocky flavor is Mousse Pocky... but I love Men's Pocky. strawberry I don't like so much... but when I taught Japanese to third graders, I gave them all milk or strawberry flavored pocky and they loved it.

ReiChan
08-21-2002, 08:52 PM
>*whines, having never tasted pocky...* ;_;

That's like criminal or something. @_@ Another Pocky virgin! I've personally deflowered 2 Pocky virgins before. XD I sent someone a few boxes of Pocky through japanesesnacks.com once.

I think that flan-flavored Pocky is called Pudding Pocky. My personal favorite is Tsubu-Tsubu Strawberry Pocky (the strawberry with pulpy stuff in it), but original Chocolate and Men's Pocky are good too. My least favorite is probably Melon Pocky....bleh x_x

Luckily for me, I live 20 minutes from a Mitsuwa (Japanese supermarket) and a 99-Ranch (Chinese supermarket). Pockyyy!!

Nietsche
08-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Pocky is good stuff, I love it on occassion. However, I don't think its the God of Snack Foods though.

I wholeheartedly agree to this! sorry to all those pocky lovers but pocky isn't the ambrosia of the tasty treats...it's such a pain sometimes to have to nibble off all the chocolate before chomping down on the pretzel centre....you should try mochi, they're far cuter to look at or those koala chocolate snacks..far more satisfying and the koalas disappear in one mouthful too...

And yes men's pocky is the best...dark choc for the connoisseur used to the finer things in life....
Okay question...how do YOU eat your Pocky?

engrish
08-21-2002, 11:48 PM
Pocky is good but I'm a bigger fan of Yogloo and mochi ice cream. :D

NeoDrifter
08-22-2002, 12:47 AM
I like Giant Pocky, I just chomp down on it. I know soo many asian markets and I haven;t had pocky in a few years though....I went to Korea and I didn;t stock up on cheaply prices Pocky from the local store in American Money it was $0.50 a box. I wish I had a box right now.......

NeoDrifter
08-22-2002, 12:48 AM
I had one Giant Pocky to celebrate the buying of the Trueno and working on it, and I forgot the delicious flavor of Pocky

HazelAsher
08-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Oooo.. I like coconut Pocky, as well as strawberry!! ^_^ BUT I'm afraid that the little koala cookies with strawberry filling in them are my PERSONAL favorite and they sell 'em here at Albertsons...*drool*. Mango mochi is good too...sadly, my mom bought some and forgot about it in her car. ;.; It's totally melted and has been sitting in the freezer for QUITE some time..=(.

How do I eat my pocky? I gnaw all the flavor off and eat the rest. :D

Haruka
08-22-2002, 04:52 PM
ooo you know whats good? (i know yall are going to give a weird look) asparagas sticks! ....my friend from Gwam brought some over from japan.,..man i tell you, its ADDICTIVE! but anyways..ive tried any of the other candies other than pocky..oh wait..yeah i had some called "creamy dreams" he hehehehe i love that name ^_~... its these chocolate little spuares filled with some cream (well yeah) its yummy......

Ali-kun
08-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Mmm, snackyfoods *sparkles*

I learned about pocky when my friend's dad (at her request) dropped by the Asian supermarket on the way home from school one day a few years ago...we picked up some chocolate, strawberry, and purin pocky. Mmm!

It wasn't until a few months ago that I realized the wonderful-ness of Men's pocky, though. Rosiel - you are very right. It owns! And it's better than plain chocolate (although not quite as good as gateau chocolate - that stuff is the pocky version of death by chocolate or something)

Never tried Yan-Yan. It looks kinda blah...I never really appreciated Dunkaroos, it was too hard to get the leftover frosting out of the plastic package, and then it was WASTED!

Tsubu-tsubu ichigo is my absolute favorite pocky flavor ever, though.

And then we got this stuff called Koala no Maachi, or Koala's March (the little koala cookies, these were chocolate filled) and they are SO ADORABLE! *munchmunch* Heehee, I am evil. I eat koalas shamelessly. Grr, rrarr! *does evil Godzilla impression*

Foxwolfe
08-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Pocky is overrated! Good, but overrated none the less IMO.

Ayaka
08-24-2002, 01:22 AM
*points to sig* XD I don't like Men's Pocky, I don't like dark chocolate . . . I didn't like the chocolate I had in Switzerland much, actually, because much of it was semisweet and not milk.

Though, there are things I like better than Pocky, I admit to that. I adore my chocolate mushrooms. And I've been trying to expand my Japanese snack horizons, even after some scary experiences in Japan. I'm in fear of my Ramune marshmallows, I've decided to take them to anime club with me and see if we can "peer pressure" each other into eating them. Though the Ramune hard candy is good. And I'll only ever buy crunchy crabs as a gag gift . . . oO;;;;;;;; Those things scared the heck out of me when I first saw them. Right next to the Lay's and stuff! Masquerading as a normal, non-food product snack!

But, Pocky's not just a snack food, it's a cultural icon!

ReiChan
08-24-2002, 12:12 PM
Ooh those chocolate mushrooms are good. They make little chocolate stumps too! Those are adorable! Little stumps with a piece of cookie in the middle.

I think part of the reason Pocky's so popular in otaku circles is that it's more widely available than some of the other snacks. I mean, sometimes grocery stores will carry Pocky, and pretty much every Asian grocery store I've ever seen will have some, even if they don't have much else in the way of Japanese snack foods.

BabySnowLeopard
08-24-2002, 06:17 PM
O______________O
*does not understand the Pocky fad*
Someone remind me why it's so special.......?
blehh
O_o

~Kie

Ali-kun
08-24-2002, 10:25 PM
You just said it - because it's a "Pocky Fad" ^___^

pyro anarchy
08-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Blah I grew up with with pockys and Yan yan.
NOthing sooo wow for me!!
SO ya it's not really number one on my list..
My fav pocky though is Green tea..*drools*

Ukayoru no Chou
08-25-2002, 03:30 AM
Mochi Icecreammm *dance dance dance* Strawberry Pocky *dnce dance* Kolla little cookies *danccedance* Doritos! *dance dance* ...now..kids..tell me what dosent belong.. :D

anything that one should not eat for either teeth or weight resons...MAKES ME HAPPY XD ...sugar..candy..SNACK FOODS.

Pocky Fad..eh? Probably..o_O; But it is wayyy good [ dis like Yan yan..o_O' dunno why..] and soisabout every other japanese/asian snach i've had...

anyone else think the chocolate pocky has a powederd milk after taste..that is a bit Eeckck ish? >>;

BabySnowLeopard
08-25-2002, 06:13 AM
O_o ???????? *nods and smiles* okie!

O_______O'

My Chinese friends introduced me to Pocky... n jelly cups... n stuff O_o and I get a lot of stuff from the Vietnamese grocery... took me a while to realize they were Japanese! lol!
....hrm... a white guy got me hooked on sugar candy tho XD and no, he's not an anime fan XD XD XD XD XD

Eeewww Yan Yan is yucky cuz they put cheese in it =P blehh. But the vanilla with the chocolate sticks is ok... cuz it's chocolate instead of cheese X_x ewwwww and I hate those koala thingies X_x *eats all the chocolate-covered gummies instead*

rar... you ppl are making me hungry XD

~Kie

Tenjou
08-25-2002, 02:06 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have tried it, but I went to where I get my pocky and found a box of bubble gum right next to it. And I bought it. It's got 4 bubble gum spheres in each box. The flavors are orange, strawberry, melon and grape, and they're so good. *_*

Kurenai
08-25-2002, 05:18 PM
::ish proud of self:: I went to CN (which is 1/3 each anime, scifi and comics) and got a non-anime person hooked on pocky ^_^

>My fav pocky though is Green tea..*drools*

O_o That sounds amazing. Where can you get some??

Ina
08-25-2002, 06:21 PM
yummmmmm...... Mochi ice cream!!! i have two boxes of it now XDDD

anywho, i do! i think that chocoalte pocky has a milky after taste

Shadow Lady
08-27-2002, 12:20 AM
Pocky is one of my all time favorite snacks besides Yan Yan. I don't live by anyplace that sells pocky cheap but I always stock up on those rare trips to Seattle. I go to this really cool Asian store called Uwajimaya and last time I went the chocolate and Strawberry ones were on sale for $1 for two boxs. I've also discovered a small Japanese candy store just a few blocks down the road from Uwajimaya that sells every kind of pocky.

Yummy! ^_^

Oshi
08-27-2002, 02:00 AM
*groan*... I swear... if I don't get to try pocky at AXNY... Something bad is gonna happen O.o;

Ayaka
08-27-2002, 06:33 AM
Maybe I'll bring some to the cosplay.com thing on Sunday, lol. ^^

Carmila
08-27-2002, 11:40 AM
I still don't see what everyones obsession is with Pocky! Sure, it is tasty, sure it is easy to carry around, sure it is bite-sized, but there are still other snacks that are just as good. I mean, I used to eat it every day when I lived in Tokyo, but it wasn't like I went crazy for it. (White mousse rules, everything else drools!)

Actually, the best Pocky I had was in Kobe, Japan. I picked it up at a shop and it was "Giant Kobe Wine Pocky" that was made with the local wine vintage. I have to say it was about as good as the Giant Rainbow pocky I picked up in Kyoto. Yum, made with different soda flavors. It was nice.

Oh! BTW, Men's Pocky was named that because in Taste Tests more Men liked it than Women. No lie.

Daala
08-27-2002, 11:58 AM
Has anyone ever seen "Royal Milktea" pockey? I got it once and then I never saw it again. Oh and stay away from the "Green Tea" Pockey...ew! heheh ^_^ (j/k it's great!)