PDA

View Full Version : Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss

kalajessta
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm stuck once again with Jade's costume. It's more complicated then I had originally intended. I have the back and collar patterns made. Those were simple enough. But the issue is the front. Here's a refrence picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/kalajessta/JadeCharacter.jpg

Can anyone help me with this? I can't see how it's layed out nor how it looks underneath. I had been trying to draw refrences out on how looks underneath the buttoned area, but any help will be appreciated~!!

Naxul
04-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, it's basically black tights, leggings, whatever you want to call it, with thigh-high boot covers over blue shoes. His blue "jacket" is so long, it works almost like a tunic, so he doesn't essentially need pants....just tights....or whatever.

kalajessta
04-21-2007, 09:16 AM
That's not what what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how to construct the jacket. >>;;

tsumikuroi
04-21-2007, 05:39 PM
As far as I can see, the single jacket is constructed of two parts. Underneath is a high-necked, possibly long-sleeved black jacket, similar to a Japanese school uniform. Over it is a double breasted coat with an extended wing tip collar, similar to coattails.

kalajessta
04-21-2007, 07:38 PM
As far as I can see, the single jacket is constructed of two parts. Underneath is a high-necked, possibly long-sleeved black jacket, similar to a Japanese school uniform. Over it is a double breasted coat with an extended wing tip collar, similar to coattails.

I'm having issues with the blue coat on how to construct the front of it. I understand what the underneath, black layer is, just I'm having difficulty with the actual blue coat. ;_;

tsumikuroi
04-22-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm having issues with the blue coat on how to construct the front of it. I understand what the underneath, black layer is, just I'm having difficulty with the actual blue coat. ;_;

Hmmm... I see your point. His coat defies sewing logic. It's double breasted, left side over right, until it hits the belt then it looks like the right crosses over.

I'm honestly stymied by this.

kalajessta
04-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I am too, someone suggested looking up a military style uniform from the civil war era or Neopleon age for suggestions. Another person suggested trying to use a trench coat. I just don't know what to do. I'm really puzzled by Jade's outfit.

tsumikuroi
04-22-2007, 01:37 AM
I am too, someone suggested looking up a military style uniform from the civil war era or Neopleon age for suggestions. Another person suggested trying to use a trench coat. I just don't know what to do. I'm really puzzled by Jade's outfit.

If you're up to it, I recommend doing a combination pattern of a double-breasted military coat with a "priest" trenchcoat. For the priest coat, I recommend Simplicity's.

kalajessta
04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Do you recommend any military coat patterns? Also, do you know what the number is for the priest coat is for Simplicity? I need to hit up Joanns tomorrow after work for a few things anyways. I would rather dice up two patterns then not have any.

tsumikuroi
04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Oops! I was thinking of the McCall's priest coat pattern, sorry! I don't know if they make it anymore but the number on mine is M4546. As for military coat patterns... I think the McCall's ALSO has a rather nice Civil War coat pattern; check their pattern books.

kalajessta
04-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks. I tend to like McCalls alot, so that's good to know that they may have patterns I need for Jade.

JadeTheNecro
12-17-2010, 04:29 PM
For the coat, the idea that I had was to make the left and right front sides seperately. There is a spot where they "overlap" at which point I thought of making a v cut into it so that the left side can go behind half way down and still allow for the curved part at the end. However, the tails and the collar part I imagined as a seperate piece altogether. If you made them one piece themselves, but, left two or three inches to fold in, you could sew them to the rest of the "coat" as a shoulder piece. Then everything else is seperate. I am getting a sewing machine for Christmas, so, I will probably come back and try to post more about how I did it once I do it myself. I will even take pics along the way.

Garen
12-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Are you guys kidding? Jade's crazy jacket fastening is half the reason I've been badgering my brother to cosplay him! (The other being he's tall, bespectacled, and science-y.)

It's the same basic method as on Luke's jacket, but wonkier because it's a military uniform. Visual aide attached. Eh... I kinda screwed it up a little. The middle button on the lower part should be on the right-hand side, not the left. The buttonhole on the end of the tab-y thing should match up with it.