PDA

View Full Version : taking care of taffetta

Tenshisama
08-21-2002, 10:14 PM
I just found a few yards of pretty light blue stretch taffetta in my fabric bin.... but it's all kinda wrinkled. Is there anyway to take out the wrinkles in this kind of fabric?

Koumori
08-21-2002, 10:35 PM
If it's stretch, it's most likely a synthetic. You can iron it on a low heat setting, or steam it.

Tenshisama
08-22-2002, 02:30 AM
really? you can iron it? i didn't know. i never risk ironing satin cause it just looks so... flammable. but, i might test a bit of the taffeta.

how would i steam it if i went that route?

Celine
08-22-2002, 08:06 AM
I think taffeta is taffeta, regardles of the stretch, and it can be ironed at a low heat setting without any problem. Same thing for satin. Satin wrinkles so much that ironing is a must! If you are really concerned about it, you can use a higher heat and put something like a towel between the iron and the fabric... but I don't think it's all that necessary. ^^

Koumori
08-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Yup. The important thing is the fiber content - "satin" and "taffeta" are different types of weaves, but they can be made out of different kinds of fibers, including silk, polyester and other synthetics. Unless you're dealing with a piled fabric like velvet, you should just go with the fiber content, so you should be fine to iron on a polyester or silk iron setting. If that still worries you, just try steaming it - or if you don't have a steamer, hang it in the bathroom while you take a hot shower. :)