PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Strife Hair...help?

Lucifer
04-17-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm going to be making a basic Cloud Strife costume, and I'm stumped on one thing. That hair. I'm going to bleach my own hair, and plan to spike it (in a few months, when the con is, it'll be the correct length for the bangs).

What I ask is, how do you get your hair to spike up like that? I've heared about watered down glue, egg whites, and ultra hold hair spray.

What is the best? What won't make my hair melt?

Raya
04-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Elmer's Gel Glue is supposed to be good because it dries clear and dries HARD... That, or you could get an ultra hold Gel... like DEPP or something... (I think that's it's name). I've used both of these products to style wigs and make spikes that hold really well, even years from now they're still as strong as ever (of course, I take good care of them!)

You might want to try the gel glue out first, that stuff will work well. Use a hairdryer though. It takes patience to wait for everything to dry.

Mizuho
04-18-2003, 01:03 AM
"Freeze" 24-Hour Mega Hold is pretty strong stuff. It's relatively cheap for one can, and you can try that...

Katse
04-18-2003, 04:51 AM
I'd skip using my own hair entirely and make a cool looking headpiece out of colored foam. You can build up the foam to make it look 3D and it can be as big and as yellow as you want. It's probably the most unique way to do his hair--and you won't have to bleach your own hair.

But if you want to use your hair, I'd suggest AGAINST the egg whites. They are really really smelly.

Katse

Raya
04-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Once I heard of someone who put butter in his hair to try and make Cloud spikes!!! Eww! He said it melted all over his costume! So whatever you do, DON'T use butter!

MordSith
04-20-2003, 01:52 AM
i say you make foam hair. if not, elmer's school glue will work perfectly and is not toxic.

katrinastrife
04-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Hmm... the costumes I've seen with foam hair look a little too cartoony...

They have a product called hair glue that you can probably find at a hair-care store. If not, trck down some punk kids with mohawks, and they can probably help you out. My stepbrother used to use LOTS of mousse. But, my brother's friends use this hair-glue stuff, and it works well.

DON'T used aerosol canned glue. BAD idea. Tried it and ruined a wig...

Forsythia
04-20-2003, 10:10 PM
I use the Ice spray hair glue for my Aeris hair, and it works great! o.o And it doesn't make your hair look all hard and crusty like normal hairspray or gel does.. just go to a salon, it's in a metallic silver can. I love it. ^0^ Just spray the stuff in, and hairspray it the way you want it. Again..it's called Ice Hair, spiker blast. Hehe. ^^

SyntaxGlitch
04-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Personally, I strongly dislike the way the foam "hair" looks on anything but the most cartoonish characters. Don't do that, please.

And as for making the spikes, my kid sister used to spike her hair... not quite Cloud Strife territory, but getting there. Her procedure was to use plain Elmer's glue, work it into the hair and shape the spike, then hold the spike and use a blow dryer to make the glue harden quickly. The resulting spikes were very rigid, sturdy, and durable.

Mizuho
04-21-2003, 01:16 AM
Although I wouldn't recommend doing foam hair for Cloud, there was one person that was able to make it work wonderfully with her costume:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=2602&papass=&sort=2&thecat=500

Would you look at that? Wow! I was totally impressed when I saw this. :D

TyJILDown
04-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I just did a Cloud wig myself...if you don't plan on using the wig again, I recommend using Polyurathane gloss on it...the gloss you would use on wood doors. It made my wig VERY stiff and even the spikes on the top stayed in place. Also used a curcling iron to sort of melt the wig to make the bangs bend in half and stay.

Just wished I used a wig that wasn't teased to death for mine ^^;;

hotohori74
04-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I advise you not to use foam, unless you KNOW it's going to stay on your head. In masqurades one cloud lost his hair during a skit, I'm not sure if it was foam or not though. I felt so bad watching, still, their performace was still great!

Liquid stitch works well in wigs, so I've heard, lots and lots or glue should hold it in place. I had a Marron wig once and used bobby pins to hold it against my head... :( that didn't work so well...

You were RENO! I LOVE YOU!!! *sobs and hugs Lucifer*(That is you isn't it?)

Firefly99
11-11-2004, 05:31 AM
I've never cosplayed before, but I do know a little about science. If you're planning to BLEACH your hair to make it blond, don't use eggs. Eggs contain traces of sulphates, which react with bleached hair and cause it to...um...turn sickly green. Which isn't a very Cloudish colour if you ask me.

Don't use egg white, unless you want to have to turn your costume at the last minute to Terra.

AllStarAlice
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I've heard that you can do some amazing stuff with your hair when you use Knox gelatin...might want to look into that

danaman
08-30-2009, 03:30 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs166.snc1/6213_273283915248_665045248_8497049_6895310_n.jpg
Use got 2 be glued
hair spray ^^

Maomi
09-29-2009, 02:40 AM
I agree with the got 2 be glued stuff! I used it for a Cloud wig for my fiance. It did take forever but it came out in my opinion pretty well^^ I included a picture:D I hope that helps, i know my info is a bit late but.... Another person might need cloud's hair^^

killerpad2008
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
The got2be glued freeze pray is definitely the way to go. You may even want to flat iron your spikes afterwards to stick them together if your going for the more cartoony version. However, you may need to bring a can with you to keep it in shape. But, aside from this product I need suggestions for another. I can't seem to be able to get the lift I need in my roots to angle the hair without making the spikes look too flat. In other words, its not bushy enough. Any suggestions for this problem? I want it perfect. I've been working on keeping my hair this way for the past year and now it even looks like it when I wake up in the morning. Lol. XD

ExSoldier-Cloud
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
got2B Glued Freeze Spray is the way to go buddy. :D

Sybren117
05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=237183

might help a bit.

:)

Jei-Cos
05-09-2011, 08:59 PM
haha dude i when i cut my hair to my little scene look i do that same basic thing haha i love how it works also i didnt need anyone to help ive been doing shit like this for years haha but yea thats how to do it..spot on..also if u can find it theres a palmade by goldwell called trndline matt waxx its amazing..but HARD to find

Banira Vanilla3
05-18-2011, 01:27 AM
There's a couple of great waxes out there if you want natural looking spikes.

Gatsby clay wax, Japanese branded. The purple Gatsby can spike the long ends of the hair up and a dish of the pink Gatsby can smooth the ends of the spikes, giving it a sharper look.

Shiseido clay wax, also have the same effect, and very nice smelling too :) Both of these are natural looking spikes though but they flow well.

Another suggestion is the Schwarzkopf Osis Rock Hard. This stuff smells strong, but will definitely spike it up and last for very long in fact.